PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever heard of transvestophilia?

Frédérique
09-13-2010, 08:15 AM
I’ve been reading Bisexualities (by editors Heaberle and Gindorf), a 20 year-old book, mainly to find the inevitable kind of references to crossdressing such a book always provides. One chapter of the book consists wholly of definitions or historical facts regarding the terminology of bisexuality, and it was compiled by John Money, an eminent sexologist. Let’s see – is there anything about transvestites?

“Transvest, the verb that derives from the Latin meaning to cross-dress, existed in 1652, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, and had a theatrical meaning of dressing or disguising in other garments, for example, those of the other sex. The nouns transvestite and transvestism are not even entered in the O.E.D. According to Havelock Ellis (1936), they were coined as sexological terms my Magnus Hirschfeld, who used them in 1910 in his book "Die Transvestiten." Hirschfeld distinguished transvestism from the sexual inversion (already at that time named homosexuality) under the rubric it had formerly been subsumed. On the criterion of whether a transvestite was erotically attracted to a male or female partner, Hirschfeld subdivided transvestism into four subtypes: heterosexual, bisexual, homosexual, and asexual. To these he added a fifth subtype, the narcissistic, in which femininity enhances a man’s masculinity.”

More on that later, but I should explain that Magnus Hirschfeld, Berlin “physician for nervous disorder,” was a pioneer of homosexual re-thinking back in the late 19th century. From the abovementioned book:

“According to Hirschfeld, in real life there was nothing but a large spectrum of intermediate stages between the “total man” and the “total woman.” In the actual world, most people fell somehow between these extremes, in their anatomy as well as in their psychology. It was thus no wonder that there were masculine as well as effeminate homosexuals and heterosexuals. In either case, in fact in almost all cases, one was simply dealing with natural variations such as had to be expected among living creatures.” There’s more…

“Curiously enough, it was to be Hirschfeld’s fate as a researcher to discover and name a sexologically new category of human beings – the transvestites. These were men and women who preferred to dress in the clothes of the other sex and to mimic that sex in speech and gesture as well. Unexpectedly, though, a great many of these very effeminate men and masculine women felt an erotic inclination to the other sex; indeed, many of them were married and wanted to remain so.”

John Money, the gentleman I mentioned in the first paragraph, also came up with a conceptual system in regards to bisexuality, a “magic formula” called “Nature-Critical Phase-Culture,” an attempt to understand behavior rather than classify individuals one way or another by “gender cross-coding.”

In his accompanying chart (in the book), non-fetishistic transvestism is classified as “episodic or alternating” gender cross-coding, and fetishistic transvestism, also episodic, is referred to as transvestophilia, a type of TOTAL gender cross-coding, just a shade below the “continuous” version of the same, namely transexualism. There is also a term I’ve never heard before – gynemimesis (imitation of women or woman-miming). This term, just like transvestophilia, describes a concept distinguishable from “simple” transvestism, according to the author. It gets very complicated, but they had to start somewhere, in a bold attempt to point out subtle differences…

So, I’m wondering – am I afflicted with transvestophilia? Let’s see – I worship my female clothes as fetish objects, since I believe in their magical powers AND I am irrationally devoted to them. They do not imbue me with erotic feelings, but I am engaged in an ongoing imitation of women. Am I a simple transvestite, or something…more? As crossdressers, we all wear our fetish objects – some worship panties, some love nylons, ditto heels, makeup, or…everything all together. I worship skirts and everything that looks or feels good WITH them (or under them), in fact simply wearing a skirt makes me feel extraordinary in ways I cannot describe! I believe in their power to heal, so I must be a transvestophiliac – indeed, when is transvestism not fetishistic (to some degree)? This is why I make a distinction between more casual crossdressing and transvestism, even though in most people’s minds they are one and the same, depending on what country you’re from, of course…

I’m not puzzled or taken aback by these somewhat antiquated (but accurate) classifications, but the idea of narcissism, where femininity somehow enhances masculinity (see above), is difficult for me to grasp. Can we, as men, be brave, virile, and strong, all the attributes of manliness, yet somehow improve on it by embracing femininity? Yes, I believe in this, but wouldn’t masculinity be modified out of existence? How about replacing the masculine with the feminine, if only for short time each day, or, better still, why not combine the two, the sum of two disconnected halves, and simply become…different? Can you somehow be brave, yet reserved; strong, yet not assertive; virile, yet yielding, listening, and understanding? I’m doing just that, I suppose, but the female dominates the proceedings…

Why type all this? Well, whenever I encounter a thread along the lines of “Since I’m a crossdresser, I must be (blank),” I wonder if the author of that post realizes that someone has done research that contradicts the pigeon-holing one may encounter in this day and age. It’s OK, and you’re just part of the colorful spectrum that crossdressing merely hints at – you aren’t specifically one thing or another, and reality is infinitely more subtle. Just please enjoy your crossdressing adventure and don’t dwell on how others see you or categorize you – most outsiders are incapable of anything but polarized viewpoints, but YOU are different. Excuse me – I have to put the word processor away and don my magic female garments tout de suite…
:battingeyelashes:

Kathi Lake
09-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Unexpectedly, though, a great many of these very effeminate men and masculine women felt an erotic inclination to the other sex; indeed, many of them were married and wanted to remain so.”Yeah, I just love the "unexpectedly. . ." part. Sigh. Wait a minute?! You mean crossdressers aren't gay?! That's not possible! Now where am I supposed to pigeonhole them? :)

Let’s see – I worship my female clothes as fetish objects, . . . They do not imbue me with erotic feelings, but I am engaged in an ongoing imitation of women. . .I think you're a lot like me. I'm not really a fetishist. I don't have any erotic attachment to my clothing or certain parts of it. What I am attached to is, like you, the feeling, the magic, the rightness of how I feel when I'm dressed that way. I have likened it to the almost orgasmic feeling of slipping into a nice, warm bubble bath - the scents, the sensations, . . . the me of it all.

Call me what you will, transvestophilic, transvestomaniac, what have you. I don't care. Since I'm a crossdresser, I must be, . . . me.

:)

Kathi

Amanda22
09-13-2010, 07:54 PM
What I am attached to is, like you, the feeling, the magic, the rightness of how I feel when I'm dressed that way. I have likened it to the almost orgasmic feeling of slipping into a nice, warm bubble bath - the scents, the sensations, . . . the me of it all.

Kathi,

I love how you describe the essence of rightness. It is exactly like that for me and I'm sure many of us.

Kathryn Martin
09-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Frederique, I must say I have not. You might enjoy the debate over at http://www.crossdreamers.com/ where many of the issues of continuum and dichotomy of gender are discussed.

It is so strange that people consider courage, strength and joy of copulation male traits. Aren't they really human. And what about the black and white. It hurts the eye and since they are not colors speak nothing. A million shades of gray do, as do a million shades of color. We are different

Kathryn

Sheren Kelly
09-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Like Kathy, I don't consider myself a fetishist, nor do I have an emotional attachment to my clothes, other than they help me express feminimity. When I look into the mirror and see a feminine reflection I feel a sense of relief. Being femme gives me a break from having to maintain the male fascade, but after awhile, the femme side also seems burdensome.

Ray Blanchard proposed a term "AutoGynophilia"-the sexual response to the image of one's self as a woman. That hits close to home for me, since I feel much more sensual as a "her" than a "him".

busker
09-13-2010, 08:41 PM
That was indeed intereststing and sounds complicated in English. Imagine how it READS in GERMAN? I am one of THOSE people who would like to know WHY I am and do find it fascinating to read what others have discovered--even if it is scientific. I accept labels and pigeon holes if for no other reason than to place myself among the spectrum--a clarification in my own mind. SInce you didn't indicate whether the Hirschfeld book was translated, I assume it has not been, but I'm going to check anyway. He sounds like a man beyond his time. I suppose he was in VIENNA? Wasn't everyone who was anyone?

JenniferR771
09-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Dr. John Money was at times controversial.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money

Possibly he falsified evidence for his research into the idea that sexual identity is learned not innate. See the above article about Money and his patient, David Reimer. Although male, David was raised as a girl and not told he was a boy until about age 13....it did not work out well.

PamelaRI
09-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Wow, Kathi summed up how I feel perfectly. However, I am kind of bummed (not really) that we're being pushed out of our pigeonhole.

David's story is a very sad tale of an unchecked theoretical madman ignoring and in some cases, apparently, destroying all evidence contradicting his hypothesis.

Vickie_CDTV
09-14-2010, 01:30 AM
To be fair, in the early 20th century, I would imagine most folks would find it unexpected that most TVs were heterosexual.

Frédérique
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
You mean crossdressers aren't gay?! That's not possible! Now where am I supposed to pigeonhole them?

I think the pigeon is out of the hole, my dear! It’s amusing to me that here, in the 21st century, crossdressers/transvestites/transvestophiliacs are stereotyped according to…what? I get the feeling people are too lazy to read, or, worse, not interested in the world around them. Here’s all this research, or classification, done for the benefit of our species in the name of knowledge and tolerance, but the same old precepts are adhered to no matter what. I dislike classifications and labels, but when reality is ignored, and prejudice is reinforced by the uninitiated, hopelessness ensues…

It is so strange that people consider courage, strength and joy of copulation male traits. Aren't they really human. And what about the black and white. It hurts the eye and since they are not colors speak nothing. A million shades of gray do, as do a million shades of color. We are different.

You could write a thread on this subject alone, and the discussion would be extremely interesting, to say the least. I encounter this black-or-white thinking all the time, and it is rather disheartening. As for the idea of “strength” being a masculine attribute, I was simply going by the accepted definition one would come across investigating the concept of manliness. I have one picture of “strength” in my mind, but I know there are many other interpretations. I much prefer the idea of gentle, as opposed to strong, but gentleness can be strength, and vice versa. It takes courage to be a gentle-person in this day and age, especially when everyone demands virility – this message comes through loud and clear…

Dr. John Money was at times controversial. Possibly he falsified evidence for his research into the idea that sexual identity is learned not innate. See the above article about Money and his patient, David Reimer. Although male, David was raised as a girl and not told he was a boy until about age 13....it did not work out well.

You know, I was wondering where I had heard the name John Money before – thanks for jogging my memory! Yes, I watched a TV documentary about the David Reimer case a few years ago – a sad story, indeed. :sad: I like stories from real life when boys somehow turn into girls, but to “do it” behind the boy’s back, without his consent, for purposes of experiment, is wrong on so many different levels. Worse still, I don’t think Dr. Money was sufficiently sympathetic to the consequences he created.