PDA

View Full Version : I made an appointment- Pt.2

tanyalynn51
09-14-2010, 05:46 PM
This is the day of my appointment, and what happened. I did go, although I had most of the fear reactions that all of you described leading up until it was time to go catch the city bus. I had to even change busses, and arrive early, but somehow once I got going, I didnt feel any real hesitation. I went underdressed, but in male mode. The counselor put me at ease by asking me some basic questions about where I grew up, etc., and slid an occasional question about dressing in as she went along. Ive been on both sides of the counseling, so I knew what she was doing, but it actually made me feel better knowing. Im not sure I know much more now than I knew going in, as I know it takes time to get started, but I know this- I am blessed that insurance covers it 100%, as I hoped, and I am really looking forward to going back next week. She said come to a session fully Tanya when I am ready. I dont know when that will happen, but you know, I can see that happening. That alone is a victory in itself.

sandra-leigh
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I am really looking forward to going back next week.

That pretty much sums it up :)

I don't think anyone really knows how "talk therapy" works... but it does.

I had a regular therapy session today; I didn't have anything planned to talk about. Somehow we wandered in to discussion of my (few) past relationships. That hadn't been on my mind, but none the less, I felt better afterwards. I'd have trouble tracing back to how we started talking about that; I'd have trouble recalling what I said about them... and yet I'm happier than before I went.

Stephanie-L
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Tanya,
I am glad it went well, and I hope it keeps going well for you. As you probably know it may take going to a few different therapists to find the right one or this one may be perfect for you, either way you have made the start. Good luck and keep in touch.....Stephanie