PDA

View Full Version : Kleptos, the police, dressing, man repellant.

Nicole Erin
09-15-2010, 02:31 AM
OK granted I am on the verge of true full time, I am TS, not CD, but wanted to share some stuff...

Bad news - some klepto decided to slim jim my car to get in and steal my wallet and cell phone. yeah I know I am a dumb ass for having it in there. I dont know how they saw the damned wallet, it was not visible and the windows of my car are tinted... Cell was a ghetto-ass pre-pay, good thing I didn't invest in the blackberry I wanted.

The Police - this happened at my friend's house. He called the police, they came out and filed a report. I guess that doesn't recover anything but it is always good to at least report it and a CYA measure.

Dressed - Well I am legally male, name not changed yet, it is a man name. My friend answered the door, and he tells the policeman, "someone broke into my friend's car and stole his cell phone and wallet. ("His" being the key word here) Well I am standing right there and the policeman goes, "So where is he?" I said, "That is me" and he was like, "OH!" but then acted as he would for anyo0ne, took my info, the brief report, totally professional, didn't ask why I was dressed like a woman, didn't mock, be rude, was professional.

Repellant - To rummage my car, tho it is clean, you would think some woman drives it. I have a nail kit, a book only a woman would own, a handbag in the trunk, and pink & white roller skates. Now as we know, most men shy far away from anything feminine. You may have seen my car, it looks bad-ass like a man car. I almost wish the think was pink so that men would stay at least 20 meters from it.

What have we learned? -
Never leave your wallet in the car even if you think it is hidden.
The police typically don't treat us any different than any other person
And most important - manly men are deathly afraid of anything feminine. Use your girl-power to protect your stuff. Had my wallet been a small pink pretty purse, it would not have been touched. You know manly men think they will catch "The Gay" if they touch such things, so they think.

On the upside, maybe I can get a better photo taken for my DL, even is the name is still more-less wrong.
Erin

tricia_uktv
09-15-2010, 02:55 AM
Just to back Nicole up. I had my cell phonr pinched at the weekend and the police have been brilliant. I am going to have to go to the police station and requested that I went as Tricia (sice she was the one who had the phone stolen). Not a problem. They called me back on my house phone and referred to me as Tricia throughout the coversation.

It is good they are taking an interest.

BTW Don't put your cell phone in your cell phone pocket of your bag if it does not zip up and is on the outside - as mine was. Silly girl!

Danni Bear
09-15-2010, 03:06 AM
Nicole,

Unfortunatly a pink car or purse wouldn't have even slowed them down. The only thing it might do is have them waiting for you when you are alone and vonurable.

:hugs:
Danni

Josey
09-15-2010, 04:01 AM
A thief doesn't give a rats a-- whether something they want is M or F. They are what they are; and hopefully someday soon, they'll pay the price for their ill deeds.

Shananigans
09-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Haha your post cracked me up.

Although I agree with Josey at the end of the day. The only way someone would steal something from me is if they took it from me. I am too paranoid to leave my car windows cracked. And, if someone really wants to mess with me...they might find me pulling a gun out of my pretty pink purse.

Best repellant, IMO.

erickka
09-15-2010, 06:24 AM
That's why so many honest people are legally packing heat! I'm one of them.

Gina X
09-15-2010, 07:01 AM

I'm not jealous of the US right to bear arms it does tend to escalate things in my opinion but even here in the UK we now have armed police patrolling our streets and police at our airports openly carrying machine guns although citizens here can't legally carry weapons I wonder how long it will be before we can ?? Incidently up to WWII firearms didn't need a licence in this country !!

GinaX

AKAMichelle
09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Haha your post cracked me up.

Although I agree with Josey at the end of the day. The only way someone would steal something from me is if they took it from me. I am too paranoid to leave my car windows cracked. And, if someone really wants to mess with me...they might find me pulling a gun out of my pretty pink purse.

Best repellant, IMO.

You definitely live in the South. Gun toting Mama's = very dangerous.

Thiefs don't care about who owns the car. They want what you have and that's it.

Shananigans
09-15-2010, 11:42 AM
You definitely live in the South. Gun toting Mama's = very dangerous.

Haha how could you tell? Was my NRA sticker showing? :-p

corynn
09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
142124yeah this is my car alarm I keep one of those warm hands -from walgreens in my purse and he sits right on top of it with all of my windows open and no one will rip me off because he will rip their hands off tee hee

Shananigans
09-15-2010, 12:24 PM
142124yeah this is my car alarm I keep one of those warm hands -from walgreens in my purse and he sits right on top of it with all of my windows open and no one will rip me off because he will rip their hands off tee hee

Ah snap I need me one of dem!

Robynts
09-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Shannon, it wasn't your NRA sticker that gave you away, it was your gen-u-wine Sarah Palin NRA kevlar panties. Where did you get those??

Kat42
09-16-2010, 12:15 AM
One of the hard-learned lessons of my college years is "Never leave *anything* in your car you can't afford to lose". You can't protect a car, nor the contents. The current ride is a 20YO convertible with a $40 radio so I don't even lock the doors. Locking the doors is kinda pointless when all it takes to open the car is a knife. But even hard tops aren't much more secure. The bad guy that broke into the college car used a screwdriver to break out a window. Short of an armored truck, nothing is secure in a car.
(Anyone got a Trunk Monkey?)

$.02 & YMMV

PS... Make sure a) your garage door opener is still present and b) nothing in your car has your home address like the car registration, in case they get (a).

Loni
09-16-2010, 01:03 AM
be glad you live in the free states. here in the people republic of kalifourna, the thief has more rights then the victim. some parts of the state one can get a carry permit, no permit = felony. aka time in jail while the thief is free.
even a trespasser can sue you if they hurt them selves while on your property.

as kat42 says no addresses on anything. make a copy of you reg papers with, then white out the address, then make another copy keep that one in the car.
or like me every thing is addressed to a po box. best $30. usd a year insurance.

or just put a tin hat on me ;-)

Kat42
09-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Loni +1

I didn't go there.. but +1 on the PO Box. My PO box is a bit pricier at $38/yr. It's cheap security even at that price. Nothing in my car has an actual street addy.
(It's also useful for those "shipments" the SO knows about but would rather not see). double plus good!

Emily_3
09-16-2010, 05:20 AM

unfortunately we can't "pack heat" in the UK, however I do carry a Class 2 Laser and I have done self defense training

:)

Nicole Erin
09-16-2010, 11:26 AM
PS... Make sure a) your garage door opener is still present and b) nothing in your car has your home address like the car registration, in case they get (a).
The stuff in my car had my old address.
My garage door opener is a key that was still there, it has the doors that swing open. If they broke in the garage when my car isn't there, they would get car wax, paint thinner, and maybe meet one of the spiders that nests in there in whatever quiet corners.

Hey you want to talk about stupid thieves, one of the ladies I go to school with - someone jacked up the back end of her car to steal one of the wheels. Not like she had gangster rims, but just the stamp steel factory ones. I mean W...T...F...?

JulieC
09-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey you want to talk about stupid thieves, one of the ladies I go to school with - someone jacked up the back end of her car to steal one of the wheels. Not like she had gangster rims, but just the stamp steel factory ones. I mean W...T...F...?

As the cost of various metals goes up, so does the willingness of criminals to steal steel. It's an easy 'market' for criminals. There's literally thousands of tons of unsecured materials out there. Air conditioners are a 'great' source, for example. Residential units usually have some decent return $$ materials in them, and they're almost never secured against criminals. Grounding wires at electrical poles /towers are another 'good' target.