PDA

View Full Version : I am out at work now and did things change.

Gerrijerry
09-15-2010, 10:19 AM
So a short while ago I started full time 24/7 and that includes going to work of course. What has happened so far is that not one male will talk to me unless they have to. Most of the woman talk to me and after a little time now seem to accept me. I don't push myself on anyone. Nor do I try to make a point that I am TS. But it is lonely at times. Do any of you deal with this and how did you handle it.

7sisters
09-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm a gg and have not experienced this. But I just wanted to drop in and give you my support.

Traci Elizabeth
09-15-2010, 01:17 PM
That's a hard one. Depending on your profession and your company, some men are more accepting than others. It is also hard (but not impossible) for "cis men" to get past their own prejudices some of which are centered around their own sexuality and self-doubt and you may represent a side of them they wish not to address.

But I am a believer that "father time" is the great healer. It is good that you are not pushing your female status down their throats. Give them time and do the best you can in your job. After all, it's your performance that will matter most in the long run.

I wish you luck and hang in there.

Faith_G
09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Yes, the guys were very awkward and quiet around me at first, and only 2 months later some of them still are. The guys I work with closely are comfortable with me now and will talk again. And now they talk less about baseball and more about their kids. :)

jenna_woods
09-15-2010, 08:20 PM
yes same has happened to me, but not so bad as i am retired now, and have no co workers

CharleneT
09-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Yup, men tend to find it a lot harder to accept gender changes (either way). As others have said, time will tend to work a lot of this out. Just live as you are and they'll come to understand and respect that. It will take more time than you would think ... but it will happen ;)

Gerrijerry
09-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Thank you girls for your replies. I think you are all correct and think that in time I will be treated just as a co-worker and my gender choice will not matter.

Jay Cee
09-16-2010, 06:24 AM
I think that some of them probably want to talk to you, but may be afraid of either (a) offending you by saying the wrong thing, or (b) being mocked by their male colleagues. Some may just not know what to say.

Wishing you the best of luck

Jessie

Tomara
09-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi Gerri
I have not been in your situation but would guess that the men are being men and don't know what to say or how to act so their keeping their distance , give them some time to adjust and I'm sure they will feel more comfortable to interact with you.
Best wishes.
Tomara

Chari
09-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Gerri,
Although your outside packaging has changed, you are still the same wonderful person inside! You are NEVER alone as we are here - your forum GFs - whenever you need someone to listen and advise. Most guys become aloof and prefer not to pass judgement on "new" situations, but will complain when someone "makes waves". Continue to be comfortable and confident in who you are, and enjoy something everyday just for you!

Teri Jean
09-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Gerri the fact that you are a person who is knowledgeble as well as talented you do not have to worry about the lack of conversation by the "guys". I have had this happen within my department (very male dominated). I see it as a way to say a woman can do your work and do it better. This really sticks them in the butt. LOL I have been transitioning /RLE for a year now and they are finally lightening up some. Hang tough and congrats on your new position. Hugs Teri