PDA

View Full Version : Facebook concerns

Fionax
09-16-2010, 03:02 AM
Though a great user of the internet and inspite of pressures from the younger generation to use Facebook, it somehow bothers me, so i have n't so far. I hear and read of a multitude of horrors, but wonder if they are just so many scare stories, I'd like to try in my crossdressing persona, but wonder if that is asking for trouble.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Fi

Gerrijerry
09-16-2010, 05:02 AM
That would depend if you look close to your male self in photos and are worried about it. I can tell you that yes the systems allow everyone to see you and that all the information you put on is used by anyone who wants to do anything with it. There is no protection on the net for facebook or any other system no matter what others tell you. As much as I love this forum it had photos taken and used as many will tell you. The forum told us and did there best to stop the person. The net is a place where sooner or later others will find you if they want to. The thing to ask your self is do you really care and do I want the rest of the world to know about me.

eluuzion
09-16-2010, 05:12 AM
Facebook’s latest privacy trainwreck
http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2010/05/understanding-the-latest-facebook-privacy-train-wreck.ars

EPIC index of Facebook Issues
http://epic.org/privacy/facebook/

Facebook is great...Kind of like sticking your arm in a wood chipper, or letting people use your restroom at your garage sale, or picking up hitch-hikers, or letting a perfect stranger borrow your car, or ordering financial freedom pkgs sold on info-mercials, hehehe.

Just post your personal infomation on a billboard and post it in your front yard before you leave on your next vacation...you'll be just fine...

Ok, I might be a little skeptical. Kinda like I was when everybody told me the surveillance cameras at every intersection were "just weather cams".

I'm sure it's cough, cough "safe".

oxox
E

faltenrock
09-16-2010, 06:27 AM
one advice - be careful!! Most people don't know, but if you post pictures, they become the property of Facebook!!

LeeBe
09-16-2010, 08:00 AM
I had set up a FB page with my female personna and what scared me is I received notification for "people you may know" that are stricltly from my male side who have no idea who Lee is. There are also people there from my aquaintances as Lee who I would like to add as a "friend." I have no idea how these two groups have been co-mingled in the "Lee" account and I am very hesitant about adding friends.

StephanieDragg
09-16-2010, 08:08 AM
I have stayed away from it, the pictures may not be easily recognized but I figured distinctive backgrounds could be recognized of my home and people would make the assumption from there, plus most of my family who are on it are younger nieces and nephews.

AKAMichelle
09-16-2010, 08:12 AM
I use to have a male account but closed it a few months back. I had a lot of information on there and felt uneasy leaving it. Now I have an account for Michelle and the information is limited. I think the things which could cause problems for you would be:

Listing a High School or College that you attended
Listing past employers
Living in a small town
Likes and Dislikes that someone could search for
Listing your home address or phone #
Friending a non-TG person with common friends
Posting a photo on your main profile page which looks just like your male self. A photo from the side or farther away from the camera is a way to hide your identity on the main page.
The more information that you put on the account, the more information which can used to search and find you. If you limit the information on your account then you should be fine and find lots of friends on there. The funny thing is that I only had 5 friends on male account but I have 25 on the female account after only 2 weeks.

tricia_uktv
09-16-2010, 09:57 AM
If your willing to be out anywhere to anybody then Facebook is fine. I love being my female personna on it and I am friends with family, acquitances and work colleagues who know about me, so that doesn't matter. If not I doubt you will enjoy it as your pictures could get spread everywhere. I would say have a deep think.

t-girlxsophie
09-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I have a Femme Facebook account and first thing I made sure of was to set my privacy,After some serious thought I posted a pic on there too at a distance and in a neutral place no one would recognise.No one that I dont want to know off my dressing has come close.I would say though that you have to be 100% certain before going ahead

:hugs:Sophie xx

kayegirl
09-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Fi, like you I have thought about using Facebook in my female personna, but then I considered who I would want to have as friends etc. and came to the conclusion that the only people that i would want to communicate with on the internet, and as Kaye, are all here on this site. Crossdressers.com, so why take the risk?

Fionax
09-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Thank you everybody for your advice, it looks like my instincts were right...must the feminine part of me. A girl has to look oout for hersalf all the time so I shall n't try it; the risks don't seem to be worth the benefits.

Fi