PDA

View Full Version : Begining of morning coffee clatche

Phyliss
09-16-2010, 04:58 PM
I had the wonderful opportunity this morning to meet another member from this site for a morning coffee and delicious blueberry muffin. We spoke of "strings and kings and many things" (from some forgotten childhood poem)
The hour and a half we chatted simply flew by. I want to say THANK YOU to her for her time and insights. Little did you realize as we were talking,that I was also leaning from you.
I know I've already thanked you for the pleasant time today, but I just had to say it again in public.

If anybody wants to have a cup of coffee, good conversation, and the enjoyment of being with "like minded" people, I highly recommend something like this.

CherylAnne
09-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a blast. Glad you enjoyed it.

If memory serves me correctly, the poem from our childhood is the "Walrus and the Carpenter". One of my favorites, along with the "The Deacons's Masterpiece"

JenniferMc21
09-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Glad you had such a good time Phyliss!

And you're right CherylAnne, It's part of the longer poem 'The Walrus and the Carpenter' by Lewis Carroll in "Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There" which I think is the second Alice in Wonderland book, something I think is most appropriate.

The stanza goes;

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Daenna Paz
09-16-2010, 09:03 PM
If anybody wants to have a cup of coffee, good conversation, and the enjoyment of being with "like minded" people, I highly recommend something like this.

Going out to lunch / dinner / drinks / coffee with 'friends' has been the highlight of my dressing times!! :D

And to spend time with "like-minded people" ... priceless :daydreaming:

Phyliss
09-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Like she said once this particular state (NH) is small enough that you can be almost anywhere in it within an hour and a half.

Would be nice to have about two or three more of us

Kelly Blaine
09-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Phyliss,
If I ever get to NH I will ping you. That would be so fun.

Persephone
09-17-2010, 12:49 AM
One of my favorites, along with the "The Deacons's Masterpiece"

Thanks, Cheryl Anne! I enjoyed the poem and have passed it along to a techy friend!

Elizabeth Ann
09-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by CherylAnne
One of my favorites, along with the "The Deacons's Masterpiece"

Thanks, Cheryl Anne! I enjoyed the poem and have passed it along to a techy friend!

Actually, you will sometimes hear economists referring to "one horse shay" depreciation (all at once at the end). The poem is by Oliver Wendell Holmes. One of my favorite stories about him is his famous last words. Supposedly, he was on his deathbed, and someone asked if he was still alive. The nurse touched his feet and said yes, "his feet are still warm. No one ever died with warm feet." To which Holmes opened his eyes briefly and said, "Joan of Arc did."

Liz