PDA

View Full Version : Telling my Doctor

tanyalynn51
09-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Ok, Ive been told by a number of people on here that I should tell my doctor, if I didnt tell anyone else, that I am tg. Well, as I have said in recent posts, I saw a therapist, and am going back. What I forgot to say was what borders on the bizarre coincidence in the least, and fate or something more otherwise. I mentioned to my therapist that one of my recent upheavals in my life was that I had to switch from my long time doctor of several years, because he moved out of state. She asked who I had switched to, since we had already realized we went to the same clinic. Turns out that the nurse practitioner I had chosen as my primary care provider is also my therapist's doctor. If nothing else, I can always lead off by telling the NP that I am going to her for counselling- the NP knows what she does, so it will make things a lot easier.

AllieSF
09-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Isn't life funny how many coincidences that we seem to have so often. At least you know you made a good choice for the NP and now can compare notes with your therapist. Regarding telling your doctor that you are TG, I believe that you should do that only if you want to, or if the doctor/nurse practitioner needs to know. Otherwise, why tell them? It is your life to live as you please and the revelation of being a TG is your decision only. I am a CD and will only tell my doctor, or anyone else for that matter, if I feel that they really need to know to help them do their job and give me better service.

tanyalynn51
09-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Allie, I think my therapist thought that for now, it would give me one more confidant. Of course, my next appointment is in about a month, for my first full physical with the new NP, so I have plenty of time to weigh the good and bad.

AllieSF
09-16-2010, 07:54 PM
thanks for the info. I do not think of it as good or bad, just a need to know issue and your own desires to share or not to share. If your therapist thinks that it is a good idea, then you have your answer. Good luck and I bet it will be a non-event telling your NP.

Barbara Dugan
09-16-2010, 08:58 PM
My therapist suggested the same thing. I did it only to my Endo he got really surprised and actually really didn't knew what to said.My GP already knew actually she asked me about before I told her.

Stephenie S
09-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Well there isn't really much of a problem here. You HAVE to tell your doctor. For goodness sake, how can he/she care for you properly if you don't tell them the truth. And how, pray tell, are you going to keep it from them? Do you plan on de-transitioning every time you see them?

Come on now, get real. You can't hide a transition except in your fantasy world. If you really want to transition, your doctor will HAVE to be part of the team.

S

tanyalynn51
09-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Stephenie, this came up before I even know how fast or at what pace I'm going to transition. Getting this far was scary, and I think my counselor wanted me to have another person to talk to that I wouldnt have to worry about confidentiality (at least in part, in the beginning).

Gerrijerry
09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
I aggree how could you not tell your doctor. There are things you can hide and things you can. But a doctor must base what he does on all the facts about you. So if we don't tell you could end up with an improper med.or having a test done that does not need to be done.