PDA

View Full Version : Mammogram

Laurie Ann
09-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I have an appointment for basic mammogram. My endo doc told me this now part of transitiion. I would like to hear from anyone who had one. I want to know what to expect my wife has always complained about having her annual boob squisher. Help me if I should expect pain.

Ze
09-16-2010, 09:32 PM
I refuse to ever get one, but I have indeed heard that it can be painful. I think somebody once said, "Imagine slamming your breast in a car door." As far as I know, women who get them done simply bear it. :eek:

Bernadina
09-16-2010, 10:17 PM
They are dangerous and often give false readings. Avoid if at all possible. There are a lot of women walking around with no breasts thanks to bad mammograms when there was nothing wrong, and others who have been damaged because of the mammograms. They are torture machines designed to bilk the unsuspecting public out of our money.

7sisters
09-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Go for the test. It has saved many lives.

Stephenie S
09-16-2010, 10:33 PM
It's not quite as bad as "slamming your breast in a car door". Try slamming your breast in a car door slowly. No really, not quite that bad. Is it fun? Nope. Is it dangerous? I don't think so. But an earlier poster is right, they are nowhere near as accurate as we once thought.

Most people with breasts should probably get one just for a base line measurement.

S

pamela_a
09-17-2010, 12:20 AM
I saw my GYN yesterday and she joked that the system was finally changed and said I was due for a pap and mammogram. She told me she wouldn't start thinking of ordering a mammogram for me until I'd been on HRT for 5 years.

Stephenie S
09-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Sweetie, a PAP smear tests for cervical cancer. You don't have a cervix. I think your doctor was joking.

You should get regular GYN exams, however, and don't forget that you DO still have a prostate. Prostate cancer, while VERY slow moving, is deadly.

Stephie

Laurie Ann
09-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the information. I asked the question because my doc informed me it is now part of the protocol. She also told me a gyn is not needed as I will not have any internal plumbing.

Ze
09-17-2010, 01:24 PM
For what it's worth, FtMs are supposed to still get pelvic exams and PAP smears "per protocol" unless they have all of that stuff removed and/or get bottom surgery (which is much rarer for us because of how much it still sucks and how expensive it is). And supposed to still get breast exams unless they get top surgery.

And, ah, most FtMs I know, including me...don't bother with these exams...

I'm not encouraging anybody to disregard their health, but saying some of us flat-out do.

jackielou
09-17-2010, 01:40 PM
hello laurie i too am scheduled for a mamagram sept 27 i have had them before and also an ultrasound due to a lump in right breast ,they are uncomfortable but not painful unless your breast are fibrocistic and sore the compression is necessary to get a clear image of your breast tissue, do not wear any underarm deoderant as it will destort the picture if your breast hurt afterwards like mine did just take a couple of tylenol,it is worth the pain and could save your life let me know your results and i will share mine after the 27th.

Karan49
09-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi Laurie,

I have had two mamagrams. One in 1999 when I turned fifty and then in 2004 at age fifty-five. Neither was a big deal; On a pain scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most painful I rate both as barely a 1. My breast size is 40DD which may make a difference. I suggest going ahead and see what it's like. Good luck.

Karan

Veronica_Jean
09-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Laurie Ann,

I have had two so far (I just turned 55). I didn't have a lot of growth for my first one, but I was larger breasted than most males not on estrogen. IT was rather uneventful.

The second one I had however, was rather uncomfortable. I had a reasonable amount of growth. (more than I would have expected), and they had become a lot more tender. Honestly, it was not all that painful, but it was not without pain either. As the technician put it, "sorry dear, you are a bit thicker than most" :eek: thus why she had to pull and squeeze a bit more that I would have preferred.

Also, its not the vertical that gets you, its the 45 degree shot. :sad:

Thankfully they both turned out normal.

Good luck with your "big squeeze" :heehee:

Veronica