PDA

View Full Version : Two age questions

Kaelin
09-16-2010, 10:49 PM
For whatever reason search isn't working for me right now, I apologize. That said please bear with me;

How much of a factor is age in considering SRS? At what point do doctors start to refuse you because you're "too old"? Obviously surgery and hormones have limitations on what it can accomplish, and is a lengthy and expensive process at any age, but I'm guessing there's a point where doctors basically won't allow the option.

Additionally is anyone aware of any data on how SRS affects life expectancy? I would imagine due to surgery and potentially radical chemical changes it tends to shorten one's life (albeit potentially improving quality of remaining years, and perhaps thusly extending those years due to improved psychological well-being). I can't seem to track down any firm information on how much of an impact it might have, if any, in either direction.

StaceyJane
09-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I don't think doctors have an age limit. I think they look more into how fit you are for operation.

ArleneRaquel
09-16-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't think doctors have an age limit. I think they look more into how fit you are for operation.

At age 62, I dont think that I will ever opt for surgey, if I was 20 years younger maybe.

Danni Bear
09-17-2010, 12:38 AM
I had GRS/SRS at age 50 and heard of it being done into the 60"s. Age expectancy, That is something no one really knows. How long will you live without it is a guess also. longivity just depends on each persons health and genetic factors.
Danni

Rianna Humble
09-17-2010, 01:27 AM
How much of a factor is age in considering SRS? At what point do doctors start to refuse you because you're "too old"?

That said, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone over 100 going for SRS, but ICBW :heehee:

JOANNE
09-17-2010, 03:43 AM
I read on another site that 2 -80yrs old had received SRS and also several 70yrs old

Gerrijerry
09-17-2010, 04:49 AM
SRS depends not on age but your health to go thru the operation. It is very stressful on the body. The other question on does it effect you life span. I have never heard of any report that it does or does not.
I check this out with my daugther who is a doctor.

Kaelin
09-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info so far everyone, regarding being too old you've all repeated the sort of the impression I was getting elsewhere. From a practical stand point it may be "easier" younger (especially if you had treatments to prevent your hormones from running your body through puberty), but I'm glad to know there's no "no one over (whatever age) can have srs" rule.

Stephenie S
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Those who have said that age makes no difference are correct. There are those who could not qualify for surgery at 30. Dr Brassard will not knowingly operate unless you quit smoking, for instance. Also if you are obese. You will need a thorough physical, which, if you pass, he will operate.

Are there doctors elsewhere who will operate on unhealthy patients? Perhaps. But why would you want to go to them?

S

Ze
09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Regarding your second question, there has been no adequate study done yet on life expectancy for MtFs or FtMs. This is due to many reasons, both bias and practical. There just haven't been enough openly trans people around yet across generations to make an accurate study. I hate to say that once a few generations die out, science will be able to better determine it. We're all guinea pigs right now.

Stephenie S
09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Right. We are SUCH a small and relatively unimportant population that the likelihood of any real research being done is nil at this point in time.

S

Traci Elizabeth
09-17-2010, 02:44 PM
I promise you that whether you transition or not, you will live to the moment of your death!

Sorry, I am in rare form today and could not help myself.

Mods delete if this thread does not warrant my dry humor.

Melissa A.
09-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I believe Sherman Leis operated on a woman well into her 70's. Someone correct me if I am wrong. From everything I have read, individual health factors are much, much more important than age. I'm 51 and couldn't possibley ever just walk away from the hope of physical congruence between mind and body. I don't know exactly when(probably within a year or two), but it's gonna happen. Long term effects? SRS was pretty darn rare at first, and frequency has picked up over the years, but keeping in mind that so many people transition relatively late in life, and certainly did as a rule, in the 60's, 70's and 80's, I suspect that the first generation, in really large numbers, is just reaching the ages where that kind of information is becoming widely available. The research has not been much of a priority to too many up until recently, as well.

Hugs,

Melissa:)

Kaelin
09-20-2010, 02:24 PM
At a relatively young 27 I know I look at my body; very male- broad shoulders, facial structure, size 13 (men's sizing that is) feet, so on and so forth... and any desires and needs to be female tend to get crushed in a bit of despair and acceptance. I admire those of you brave enough to venture down this road as full-grown adults, while not-so-secretly being glad that the option may still be there if I ever have the courage myself.

Stephenie S
09-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Kselin,

The longer you put this off, the harder it will be.

SA

Frances
09-21-2010, 08:07 AM
I have an autobiography from an American woman in my collection who had SRS at 69 with Dr. Brassard.

Inna
09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Kaelin, I want to say go for it, but reading into your posts I feel that "it is never to late to think its too early" statement applies. I sense hesitation and with your arguments, rightful one, although transition doesn't need to encompass full physical aspect of assimilation. I for instance had to succumb to HRT and transition because I had no other avenues to explore anymore. I was at dead end, and however dreadful that is the sound of that word gave me comfort. Love for my family saved me from inevitable and so the only thing to do was HRT. I am transitioning from middle aged manly man, not exactly very feminine being but feminine within nevertheless. I do not expect to be full time woman, oh I would love to be a woman don't get me wrong, but realities are such that my expectations are only day long. I am so happy I have discovered peace and tranquility within my self, now embracing woman I am but not necessarily showing it through clothing or looks. I am who I am and , at least for now, satisfies me unconditionally. I hope you can find such peace, and believe me you don't have to have all the surgeries or any to achieve it. Love, ALexia

CharleneT
09-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I do not know of any docs who have an age limit, but some will only proceed with older patients after they've met in person (where as they would wait till just prior to surgery to meet younger patients). For most of them, if you are over 50 they require a very recent EKG. As mentioned already it is your health that they are most concerned with. There are weight limits, or in some cases extra charges or requirements for those over certain weight limits. Many will not work on patients with a positive HIV test.

Kaelin
09-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks again for the information everyone.

Alexia, thank you for sharing your experience with HRT, I'm truly glad you managed to find peace thusly. You are dead on in your assessment that it's too early for me, psychologically I'm really just starting. The whole gender issue has always been a bit of a mixed ride for me, I'm by no means ready and I know myself enough to know this. It's taken, and sometimes still takes a lot to even allow myself to accept that I have the desire. Baby steps towards the sort of self peace you mentioned hopefully, regardless of what my physical body is or ends up being.