PDA

View Full Version : So whats the "Q"?

Jaydee
09-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Yesterday I was at church with my wife. I am not out to any one other than her. During the service there was an announcement about an outreach project to the "LGBTQ" community. I didn't feel comfortable asking about the "Q". So I throw the question out to my friends here. Who are the "Q"? Thanks,

Jaydee

Daenna Paz
09-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Who are the "Q"? Thanks,

Jaydee

Queer or questioning ... depends on whose definition you would choose ... ;^)

Barbara Jo
09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, some sadly add "Q" to represent "queer" in a misguided effort to include everyone.

Perhpaps you should tell them that this can be interpeted as an insult as they may not be aware of it.

Jorja
09-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Yes, some sadly add "Q" to represent "queer"
Perhpaps you should tell them that this can be interpeted as an insult as they may not be aware of it.

This may insult some but give credit where credit is due, at least they are trying to reach out and include everyone.

Barbara Jo
09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Of course they deserve credit. That was not my point.:)

lynnrichards
09-20-2010, 11:14 AM
There is a growing number of young people today that self-identify as gender queer. These people reject the binary notion of gender and the old societal norms. I think this represents a liberating step forward and a move away from the constrictions of societal imposed gender conformity.

Butterfly Bill
09-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Yes, some sadly add "Q" to represent "queer" in a misguided effort to include everyone.

Perhapsyou should tell them that this can be interpreted as an insult as they may not be aware of it.

"Queer" is a term which was once derogatory, but now has been transformed into a name of pride, much like "Yankee" and "black".

EllieOPKS
09-20-2010, 03:12 PM
"Queer" is a term which was once derogatory, but now has been transformed into a name of pride, much like "Yankee" and "black".

Well where I was raised, we still don't think to highly of Yankees. :eek:

Kate Simmons
09-20-2010, 04:04 PM
One of two things, depending on you bringins up. Either a feathered serpent that likes human sacrifice or an omnipotent race of entities in deep space. Seriously though, I think it means not sure.:)

Andrea Reynolds
09-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes, an omnipotent race. Located at the Q Continuum. (Thank You Star Trek for the education.) Andrea

Tranny Tee
09-20-2010, 08:47 PM
I had not heard of the LGBTQ previously, it would make things simpler to qiuit the term LGBT and revert to the traditional, "Them Queers."

OccasionalSkirt
09-20-2010, 08:47 PM
At some point, do we start repeating letters from the alphabet when it gets too long?

Lucy_Bella
09-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Kids these days , trying to be original with old words . Like my son-in-law who can't seem to wear his ball Cap how it was designed to wear says " THATS SICK " when he approves of something ..

Schatten Lupus
09-20-2010, 09:06 PM
I've heard queer, but given that word means strange or is a derogative term I don't think that one is it. And then Questioning, but it is so normal to question that I really don't see the need for it either, especially since some people who are questioning will be put off by being automatically attached to the gay crowd.

sissystephanie
09-20-2010, 09:29 PM
How many girls here really care about "Labels?" I don't care for most of them, just as long as I get called correctly for pay and food!!

busker
09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Q==queer. Queer is a slang term for (counterfeit) money. So by extension, perhaps we are all just counterfeit members of society.

Rachel Morley
09-20-2010, 10:35 PM
The "Q" where I come from, and everything I know about it, means: "questioning".

GaleWarning
09-21-2010, 02:58 AM
And there I was, thinking that it meant "the Quick" ( as in "not dead")!
:-)

donnalee
09-21-2010, 04:19 AM
Seems to be a case of bad handwriting ( i.e. *g" being misread as "q").

Gerrijerry
09-21-2010, 04:44 AM
That church is reaching out to others why not just say thank you. So few are really trying to understand.

Fab Karen
09-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Q==queer. Queer is a slang term for (counterfeit) money. So by extension, perhaps we are all just counterfeit members of society.

Never heard that used as slang for money. Q stands for questioning. & There ARE kids who use the term gender-queer. Queer for decades was a derogative slang word for homosexual. I can recall how strange it was seeing the word QUEER in big letters on billboards all of a sudden ( advertising tv show Queer As Folk ), having grown up with it as a negative thing.

JamieG
09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
I've seen some organizations that have used the Q for "Queer", some use it for "Questioning" and some for both (although I think then you should have "Q-squared"!). If you think LGBTQ is too many letters, how about LGBTQIA which is popping up in place, where "I" stands for "Intersex" and "A" for "Allies."

And for those who think "Queer" is derogatory, have you ever heard of "Queer Studies?" It is a program offered at many universities that studies both sexual orientation and gender identity. Thus "Queer" is used as an umbrella term to avoid the alphabet soup problem. Yes, it would be wrong to call somebody "a queer," but there is nothing wrong with someone self-identifying as "queer."

Lorileah
09-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I propose a new acronym EVRY1. Does that cover everyone? On alternate nights maybe they can do a group called EVRY1Ls

shelly-55
09-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Queer! Did your wife step on your foot when he said that?

Barbara Jo
09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
A final thought from me.......
Just because some still use an insulting term, dosen't make it right.
It's a fact that some (many?) still feel "queer" is derogatory.

There are many archaic terms that some still use but, our society, as a whole, has chosen not to use them any more because they are insulting to many.
We all know what they are and perhaps "queer/Q" should be added to the list.

DonnaT
09-21-2010, 01:29 PM
In Davidson Hall, the executive board of commonGround, U of L's LGBTQQIA group, dissolved a morning meeting. A few of the members stayed behind and tried to explain why their acronym has so many letters and what they all mean.
"Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, inter-sex and ally,

http://www.louisvillecardinal.com/2.4743/news/shattering-the-gender-boxes-1.2335922

Barbara Jo
09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
We might as well add "F", "F," "D", "F" etc. Yes, three "Fs" we don't want to forget anyone. ;)

If anyone does not already know what GLBT means and what the group already includes, they need much more help than that group can give them.

Daenna Paz
09-21-2010, 02:27 PM
I propose a new acronym EVRY1.

LOL!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Best one in a while!

And not a bad idea, either ...

Lynn Marie
09-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Seems to me that "queer" simply means different, unusual, not aligned with the rest of the society. The English like to call that quality eccentric. Look at how Websters defines eccentric:

Definition of ECCENTRIC
1a : deviating from an established or usual pattern or style <eccentric products>
1b : deviating from conventional or accepted usage or conduct especially in odd or whimsical ways <an eccentric millionaire>
2a : deviating from a circular path; especially : elliptical 1 <an eccentric orbit>
2b : located elsewhere than at the geometrical center; also : having the axis or support so located <an eccentric wheel>

I really love the "located elsewhere than at the geometrical center". That's me alright! LOL

Schatten Lupus
09-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Given the non-mainstream and very taboo nature of our lifestyle, I tend to think we are some of the real members of society.

ReineD
09-21-2010, 04:36 PM

"Queer" has now become a self-identifying designation. I know several people who do not fit neatly into either the L, G, B, or T definitions and who proudly define themselves as Queer.

Here's a better explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer

Miss Misery
09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I think queer has lost it's negative connotation over the years. That was a negative term from the olden days (70's) that seemed to get flipped on its head when gay rights activists started marching with the "we're here and we're queer ....." slogan. Also, back in the earliest days of the web (back in the FTP, Veronica, Archie .... days), one of the first "alternative lifestyle" sites was Cyberqueer. So I think it's sort of lost it's PUNCH as a derogatory term.

BTW- Queer was what I thought the Q stood for also. AND, how did LGBT become GLBT? Come on L's don't let that happen :)

PretzelGirl
09-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Not an uncommon usage at all... except here we haven't picked it up yet. The Utah Pride Center uses LGBTQ for example. I won't bother checking other Pride Centers, but I'll bet it is common.

Tammy V
09-25-2010, 01:33 PM
how about Q for Queens, honey.

Annaliese2010
09-25-2010, 08:30 PM
how about Q for Queens, honey. That's what I thought too! QUEEN. I mean, so obvious duh. Ya know? 'cides...its sweeter too an regal an sparkly, glittery gold..oh my!

PortiaHoney
09-25-2010, 08:57 PM
The Q in LBGTQ in Oz has been recognised as Queer by the majority of organisations. It is recognised that the term has a derogatory background, but like Gay, has been turned against those who would use it in that manner. It's primary purpose is to bring all those who don't fall into the LGBT banner under the same protection as those so-called minority groups.

That section of the community needed a broader description and Queer has just become the accepted term due to the need to be less specific. It includes CD's, intersexed, curious or unsure and anyone else who does not consider themselves "straight" or the other components of the title - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual.

It has been suggested that the Q is really only a token effort to include the last remaining stragglers under a heading for a minority group that don't really fit anywhere and are too small in numbers to form their own voice in the community. It really is a strange situation because many of us will identify with LGBT or even straight, or under another banner altogether like race, religion or gender first and the Q bit becomes a bit irrelevant or only relevant to a very small minority. And then there is the issue that we change our descriptions of ourselves during our lifetime as well. How many have considered themselves straight or bi before coming to the realisation that they are a CD and proud to be. How many are too scared to stand up to the community and admit that they like something outside what is considered normal. You only need to read the posts here to realise that there is much we want but we are too afraid to stand up and tell anyone.

At least there are some somewhere who will be vocal about our rights to be who we want to be. And I believe the minority would not be as small as it is if we were to admit to and educate more of the public at large. Some are not even aware that there is a representation that is recognised for working towards what we all desire - the freedom to express ourselves without fear or prejudice.

Maybe it should be Q for Quandary?

Annaliese2010
09-25-2010, 09:17 PM
The Q in LBGTQ in Oz has been recognised as Queer by the majority of organisations. It is recognised that the term has a derogatory background, but like Gay, has been turned against those who would use it in that manner. It's primary purpose is to bring all those who don't fall into the LGBT banner under the same protection as those so-called minority groups.... Gosh Portia! To use a variation of a once commonly used expression of praise: You are a scholar & a gentlewoman! That was so insightful and very well wriiten! I had no idea bout some of which you speak. Great post imo.

Faith_G
09-25-2010, 09:49 PM
I like "queer" as a short-hand, catch-all word to cover everybody in the gender variant spectrum. It's much easier to say than "GLBTQIA".

However, I think "queer" should only be used as an adjective. To use it as a noun is offensive.

Christinedreamer
09-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I am a member of the Whittier Ca. MCC here in SoCal.and our pastor uses the term GiBLeTS (gay, bisexual, lesbian, transgendered and straight) instead of LGBT as a kind of funny but inclusive acronym as some in our church are straight but fully supportive. Personally I have seen that the Q addition is sort of recent and seems to be associated with the more "militant", in your face type of over-the-top gay guy.

This has caused a bit of tension in our efforts to eradicate the fear that many still harbor about our world. This discussion came up when some members were pushing for programs to publicly insist that gay marriage also include "family" style groups evidently prevalent in the leather community. The majority of us countered that the FIRST step is to "sell" (for want of a better word), the concept of gay marriage rights to the general public and not to try to throw EVERY detail in the face of a public that is still dealing with well ensconced preconceived notions.

Every time strides are made at a more widespread acceptance things like bare butt guys wearing huge dildos in the "Pride" parades makes the news. We have one group trying to convince the general public that the LGBT community has no "agenda" and then the media splashes pix of deliberately outrageous public displays of silly sexually based hi-jinks. For what purpose and how does that benefit anyone?

To me, the term queer is still offensive. Trying to explain that Q means "questioning" is not generally possible, especially when such deliberately inflammatory behavior accompanies the group. We have the same issue when TGs and CDs who should know better run around looking like central casting hookers. Just MY opinion.

charlotte_sp
09-26-2010, 04:28 AM
I like "queer" as a short-hand, catch-all word to cover everybody in the gender variant spectrum. It's much easier to say than "GLBTQIA".

However, I think "queer" should only be used as an adjective. To use it as a noun is offensive.

I like queer as an umbrella term as well. I think my generation at least doesn't have any strong negative connotations for "queer." The first things I think of are Queer As Folk and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. The epithets of choice these days in the US definitely seem to be "faggot" and "dyke." I personally think queer has been reclaimed, but I understand that it still triggers for some people.

Trying to explain that Q means "questioning" is not generally possible, especially when such deliberately inflammatory behavior accompanies the group. We have the same issue when TGs and CDs who should know better run around looking like central casting hookers. Just MY opinion.

Okay, I have a big problem with this mindset. You could just as easily say, "We have the same issue when men who should know better run around looking like women." How can you advocate for your right to present how you want while condemning the way others present?

sometimes_miss
09-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Other than my gay friends, I've never heard the word queer used in any way other than as a derogatory term. We get too sheltered, spending so much time in contact with others like us, and tend to forget how much of the outside world doesn't like anyone who doesn't adhere to the traditional gender roles. Just consider all the turmoil that resulted when the gay community tried to get universal acceptance for them to marry.

Tina B.
09-26-2010, 02:05 PM
In northern California the local GLBTQ group are know as Queer Humboldt, they take pride in the name. and at their Gay pride parade the signs had Q as questioning. It seems to me thats a very good addition. How many out there are questioning, am I gay, Bi, transgender, or anything else, what group would be anymore helpful trying to find those answers?

eluuzion
09-27-2010, 02:17 AM
“I’ll take semantics and neologism for $100, Alex…”:heehee:

When crossdressers hem a dress, do they always use a cross-stitch?
If a surgeon is a crossdresser, do they always close incisions with a cross-stitch?
-do crossdressers make inquiries or inqueeries?
Why do people describe crossdressing behavior as being “queer” instead of peculiar?
Can a crossdresser be insincere, or are they always in-sin-queers?

So, if we are on the Internet and want to define a term, which source is correct…an Internet “web-ster’s”(frequent user) definition or the definition found in Webster’s Dictionary?

I am not sure what the “Q” stands for, who coined it or where it came from. But after over 20 years of crossdressing, I have learned to expect many more “terms, definitions and acronyms” to pop up out of thin air, that I have never heard before. The CD world seems to be a magnet for that exercise. It is no wonder there are so many CDs that are confused about “who” or “what” they really are in life…

I do not lose much sleep over such matters. I always sleep like a baby (cry for an hour~~sleep for an hour...:D) I figure it is the same type of mystery as.... why there is an A,B,C,D, F, but no “E” in academic grade scoring…go figure…:brolleyes:

Shananigans
09-27-2010, 03:39 AM
It's always meant "questioning". Or, at least around where I live it has always stood for questioning. You are unsure of where you are in your sexuality...you don't really know if you are bisexual or gay...you are still figuring things out and need the support to do so.

They should throw a P in there for pansexuals.

Or, maybe we're getting to be too long about it. We're kind of doing the Pokeman thing...catch all of the letters of the alphabet and you win.

ReineD
09-27-2010, 04:00 AM
No ... the P would be for pomosexual (a person who avoids sexual orientation labels). :)

Angela Rose
09-27-2010, 04:03 AM
I and my friends constantly use the word Queer to mean "that's unusual" or "that's Strange". In short it is used to to describe anything that is not immediately explainable. Often we hear people say"a queer thing happened to me today" We have never used the word in connection with lifestyles in a derogatory way. I don't think people should take offence with other peoples manner of speech, just put it down to their ignorance and be proud that you are not the same and do not share their ignorance.

Miss Misery
09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
As a former HS teacher I can't count the number of times kids would say, "That's gay" with regard to something that had no sexual or gender association with it. After talking to them they seemed to think it was a way of saying "that's stupid" and they all understood it as such. It just goes to show how language can be used and words take on new meanings, even if it's by misuse of the original term.

LilSissyStevie
09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
As long as there is no "S" for sissies, I just have to assume they are all hateful bigots. :devil:

Shananigans
09-27-2010, 02:32 PM
No ... the P would be for pomosexual (a person who avoids sexual orientation labels). :)

Bwhaha...well, apparently, they wouldn't be allowed in LGBTQRSTUV because we are all about some labels.

As a former HS teacher I can't count the number of times kids would say, "That's gay" with regard to something that had no sexual or gender association with it. After talking to them they seemed to think it was a way of saying "that's stupid" and they all understood it as such. It just goes to show how language can be used and words take on new meanings, even if it's by misuse of the original term.

Yeah, that's still a popular thing. Though my friend Buddy (who is very openly gay) got onto Ryan (my SO) about saying it one day...which kind of put a perspective on things. It was so easy to say it without really thinking about what you were saying. So, at the next party that we were all at, Buddy was mocking something saying, "As you would say, 'That's soooo gay.'" I turned around and said, "I have to disagree, I think that's soooo straight." We raised a couple eyebrows that night, but I think mindless phrases like that are on the downfall. Also, "queer"...who even uses queer anymore? Queer means strange or odd...I don't really see it as associating with being homosexual...unless I was 90 years old and had 30 cats living under my roof.

leggylisa
09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
That post was so gay shannon...HOO!! mwhaha :D

Lainie
09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm still fuzzy about why some people have chosen to identify themselves as Q rather than T. The few I've encountered seem rather unisex; i.e. not clearly male or female, but somewhere between. When I cross-dress, in contrast, I clearly present as polarized: handlebar mustache; no make-up (maybe nail polish); unisex hair; skirt or dress; nylons and/or shaved legs, usually some apparent breast enhancement. I'm definitely CD, often in public, a little squeamish about admitting to T. Am I Q? (Surely not continuous or from the continuum.)

Lainie
09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Androgyny!

One of the nice things about English is that it often already has a well-known word that describes the thing you thought was a new phenomenon. The adjective "queer" is just an in-your-face-version of androgynous. I still prefer the Anglo-Saxon "crossdress" to the Romanic "transvesitite", but from now on I'll resort to the suitably mixed Greco-Roman form, androgyne, for my identification.