PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Class

Amy
09-03-2005, 10:25 AM
I started my senior year in collage this week and have signed up for a sewing class. I am very nervious about it because it is a very concevative church school and I am the only boy in a class full of girls. Anyways I was thinking of dropping it and I was just wondering what people there think I should do.
Amy

eleventhdr
09-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Well my strong suggestion is to stick with it and hang in there. Even if you are the only guy in the class of girls. This is one of my big regrets in this life so very far that i never did learn that to sew. Back in high school. For as soon as i did get out this is one of the very frist things i found out that guys need to know as well as girls do. And it was to late then i have often thought of going back some where some how and learning it myself. Had i known of crossdressing back in high school i would have done thta evn just to get in this class. I found it was very stupid that they did not allow us guys to lear this stuff eraly on like that today it is no big deal but back in the early 7o's it was. Oh well go figure. So hang on with this class. And besides it is a sure way to get to know how girls are in a lot of ways if you catch my drift Suzy!.

tifftg
09-03-2005, 10:58 AM
You can use the skills in the future in a variety of ways. If you are looking for a woman to date, this should be a target rich environment, you may see certain signs of encouragement. If not you still have skills you can use. Enjoy and be comfortable with who you are and what your interests are.

Tiff

Tedi
09-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I own a sewing machine, and have a basic knowledge of how to use it. I wish I knew more. I consider being able to use a sewing machine a survival skill. It sure came in handy when I dropped 70 pounds a couple years back. I altered quite a few things that I would otherwise had to replace. Take the class.

Jenny Beth
09-03-2005, 11:05 AM
I think you should go for it. Obviously this is something you want to do or you wouldn't have signed up for it. My wife is a seamstress and she thinks that males who sew are really neat so don't be nervous about it. Just think of all the friendships you will make with your classmates. You'd certainly feel like you belonged as one of the girls and who knows where this could lead. I see this as an opportunity to let the woman within grow, don't thow it away.

Amy
09-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Well I still haven't completely decided what to do but thanks for the imput. There are some really cute girls in the class. And they all seemed very cool with me being in the class. But I do wonder how many would ever go out with a boy they met in their sewing class. When I talked to the teacher about dropping she was very incoraging and said I should stay in it and that it would make me a better person.
Those of you that have read my other post know that I am very conflicted. I signed up for the class thinking this really has nothing to do with crossdressing it will just be a fun thing to learn but it's kind of related to it so I don't know what to do.
Amy

Rachel Morley
09-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi Amy,

I think I know what you're thinking. You're maybe thinking that because you are the only boy in the class and because (in your own words)
has nothing to do with crossdressing but it's kind of related people will put 2 and 2 together....meaning that they will some how "know" you are a crossdresser.

When I was in my senior year at high school (1980) there was a typing class and there was only one guy who signed up for it. Most of the guys I knew tried to ridicule him over it but he was having none of it and said he was going into business one day and it would be a good skill to have. He had the last laugh when all of us guys saw the amount of girls in the class and how cute and good looking they were, we were so jealous of him. We would have killed to have been in that class, surrounded by those cute girls with no other guys.

Anyway, this guy did eventually hook up with one of the girls. We were still jealous of him though, because it seemed like he was friends with every girl in the school!

I would definitely say go for it because not only will you gain a very useful skill, but as a cder you will be able to spend lots of time around GGs, to make friends, and learn from them. We always say on this board how important it is to watch women's movements and how they conduct themselves and try to copy it.

As far as my own experiences go, I've been in a similar situation twice. I have take a French class and a step aerobics class and I was the only guy in both those classes. In fact, in my French class the teacher (who was a French woman) tailored the class to include lots of role play scenarios with themes that I thought were feminine like, going to the dress shop, or baking a cake, or buying shoes etc. I had to participate in this and so it was not uncommon for me to be saying (in French) out loud to the class "I love my pretty dress". I always got smiles and little giggles from the other women in the class.

Good Luck

Jonien
09-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Sewing is a plesuable past time and to have the opertunaty to learn the skills and not go for it tut tut
a feww years back when I was out of work I did some home work for a dress company to make ends meet
made my own wife's wedding dress and all the bride's maids dresses and all becouse I took an intrest needle work think how far you could go with tuition

Love and hugs

kathy gg
09-03-2005, 02:20 PM
I took a sewing class that has all sorts of adult programs in various things and we had a guy in our class and he was easily over 50, had been a machinist his whole life but due to a work injury was thinking of a new job that was less body stress. Actually he was the most talented in our class (me the worst :( ) and none of the women thought anything other than this guy just wants to learn a new skill. And as he was so naturally gifted most women lamented that they wish their husband was as talented.

I would not worry about being the only guy in the class. regardless if it is conservative or not, the teachers will think you are there to learn and will probably treat you like any other student, regardless of yoru sex.

hugs
kathy in canada

Rachael Warren
09-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Take the class, sewing is a very good skill and passtime.

I have made many things over the years, and fixed many more. About four of my full Kilts are hand made by me.

Sewing isn't a female only hobby or career, if it was we wouldn't have taylors!

The schools where I live teach basic skills like sewing as part of the early high school curriculum, for boys and girls.

Even knitting is a passtime of some men, I was taught to knit as a young boy, and enjoy it. (I don't persue it as I allways end up getting the tension wrong :()

Go for it.

Love Rachael. :)

Alayna
09-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Stick with it. I took up sewing originally because of my crossdressing desires and nothing else. But in the past couple years I've found 1001 applications for it and it's helped me branch off into other random areas that I've found useful. If it weren't for sewing I would never have bought a book on knot-tying and would still have problems rigging stuff up while camping or on hikes.

It's a useful life skill, hope you stick with it:)

Dragster
09-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Yeah, stay with it Amy, for all the reasons everyone else has said. You'll also learn the skills properly before you apply them. I learned years ago by following instructions on patterns, and have made dresses for my wife and daughter, and recently converted a denim dress into a skirt for my wife. Unfortunately, she is still very anti-CD, but doesn't know how much I've made for myself! Converting trousers into skirts was easier than I thought.

It won't be long before you make the first dress for yourself, but I bet you don't do that in your class!!!

Tony

Amy
09-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Actually, It's funny you should mention that because the final in the class is to make a skirt. The teacher was almost going to let me make pants instead but said that zipper for the pants was more difficult and that I could just give the skirt to some one.

Jonien
09-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Actually, It's funny you should mention that because the final in the class is to make a skirt. The teacher was almost going to let me make pants instead but said that zipper for the pants was more difficult and that I could just give the skirt to some one.

trousers or pants do need skill of there own and would be benificial to lern a as a fitted skirt could have a zip and waist band made in the same way

Khriss
09-03-2005, 08:39 PM
oh Amy-that's a "clincher" :thumbsup: -go 4 it!! but ask if there'd be extra credit for choosing a more dfficult material-like leather! :eek: :D "K"

Amy
09-03-2005, 08:48 PM
So, it seems every one thinks it is a good idea for me to keep the class. I guess what I want to know is do you think would be good for me because I am a crossdresser or it is good for any guy to take a sewing class? That's kind of a confussing question, I know. What I mean is, right now I am not actively crossdressing. I have recognized that I have crossdressing desires otherwise I wouldn't come back to this site as often as I do. But for now I have desided not to act on them. So, Do you all still think it would be useful for just a guy to take a sewing class?
Amy

Delila
09-03-2005, 09:06 PM
i never took a sewing class but i taught myself to sew by fixing my guy clothes, why is sewing a female thing only i have saved alot of money sewing my own clothes instead of buying new ones.

Debbie Kong
09-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I agree with everyone else that you should continue with the course. Tell people that you're considering a career in fashion design so that you can be rich, famous and surrounded by beautiful women.

I enjoy sewing but am not that great at it. My mother used to let me use her machine when I was a teen as I used to alter my jeans to fit really tight. She showed me some basics. I liked to patch my own clothes too. Eventually I did get around to making a couple of dresses for which I made my own patterns from newspaper. I'd like to do more now but have been having problems with my machine and my inspiration.

In 1980/81 I lived on an "Indian" reserve in Northern BC. It was a small place with an all grades school house. The teacher invited one of the elder Native ladies to instruct the children how to make Mukluks. A multi session course for all boys and girls. I was a 20 year old bartender but I asked if I could attend and was allowed to. I still have the mukluks I made but the point I'm getting to is that, in the northern Aboriginal culture, men prided themselves on their sewing skills. It was a manly art. So why was the instructer a woman? I don't know. When I sported my new footwear around the village a few of the braves had to make fun of me. They said that they could sew way better than I but that, for a white guy, I did okay. I gained stature for my sewing skills in a macho environment!

Anyway, that's my sewing story.

I hope that you keep on going with your sewing course and that you can someday post some pictures of your creations.

Best wishes

Debbie

DanaJ
09-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Amy - is this a non-credit class? That is, just a class they offer for fun? Of course, I have been out of school for a long time :)

May I ask what college you are attending?

DanaJ

Alayna
09-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I think being a crossdresser makes it fun to learn to sew, but as many corsets and dresses I've sewn the most useful things I've sewn have been unrelated to CDing. I've done upholstery (just a couple pillows), modified my backpacking gear, and altered some of my drab clothes. It's just a handy skill to have - social stigma be damned

Billijo49504
09-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Go for it!! I'm learning to quilt. I'm also a diemaker and have been a gunsmith. I used to play with hot rods and build a lot of things in the garage. It's just a nother way to make thing that are useful.

Amy
09-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Actually DanaJ it is a 2 credit class. That's an other thing I need to concider. If I keep it that put's me at 18 credits and that is a lot more then I have ever had. And this is my senoir year so it will be very hectic. I really do want to take it. It seems like it will be a lot of fun. I've decided I don't care that I am the only boy. That is only to my advantage anyway. But I might need to for the sake of classes I really need to take for my major. But thanks everyone. You really have helped me realize how much I do want to learn sewing. So if I do drop I think I will take it in the winter.
Amy

Imogen_Mann
09-04-2005, 04:31 AM
Sewing....

I am teaching myself. I got hold of a second hand Singer 7101, spent an hour figguring out how to thread the bugger and that's the easy part done. I dont see why anyone male should be embarrased by it as a hobby or a education.... If anyone pulls you up on it, ask them how much Hugo Boss, Pierre Cardin and Jean Paul Gautier are worth ? They all started somewhere.

I dont aspire to running a fashin house, but I have made a fair job of a denim mini skirt, I've fixed the lining back into my old BLJ, I've mended, patched and generally enjoyed it as a hobby. My next project is a lace up, above knee denim skirt with fishnet and satin lets... It's still on the drawing board at the moment, but I't not looking too bad.

Dont be worried by stigma, or lack of manlyness attached to needlecraft, stick it out, and you will get plenty of mileage out of it, and if you get a qualification, it might one day be the only thing standing between you and the bread-line. I thought basic hygene was a dumb qualification, but when I was down and nearly out, it got me a job as a cleaner over ten other applicants, leading to a supervisors position, leading to the rent getting paid and the woolf being kept from the door for six months.

XX

Jayme.

Sophia Rearen
09-04-2005, 06:54 AM
When I was in my senior year at high school (1980) there was a typing class and there was only one guy who signed up for it. Most of the guys I knew tried to ridicule him over it but he was having none of it and said he was going into business one day and it would be a good skill to have. He had the last laugh when all of us guys saw the amount of girls in the class and how cute and good looking they were, we were so jealous of him. We would have killed to have been in that class, surrounded by those cute girls with no other guys.

Angel,
I think I was that guy. My mom encouraged me to take typing. Of course I thought it was stupid. Why would I want to type? She thought that maybe it would be useful for business. Thank God I took it. Girls, Girls, Girls. I had a blast. As far as typing for business, not much. However, the computer obviously is a big part of my life. Now if I could just figure out how to type with nails! :)

Deborah
09-04-2005, 03:40 PM
There are two sides to this (maybe more)

1) You will learn how to make your own clothes

2) Depending on your orientation you may get a few girlfriends out of it ;)

Rikki
09-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Amy, like all the others, I think you would be surprised at how much fun it will be and how much you will use the knowlege. I am always having to repair something and I wish I could sew, because I just make a mess out a things that my wife has to do over for me. I would like to take a sewing class. Good luck.

Rikki

michellej
09-08-2005, 09:01 AM
When I was much younger, a friend and I made ourselves winter coats out of sheepskins that were very warm, and this was in Minnesota! We had to sew them out of fishing line! The comments were all of amazement from all our friends. My friend even had some prople have him make them one, and made quite a bit of money doing it! I say that it's a skill that you can use to great advantage. You can make yourself the neatest things to wear and be the envy of everyone! Both male and female.

JocelynG
09-08-2005, 10:58 AM
It's not a bad thing to learn how to sew being a guy, even if you happen to be the only guy. Having the knowledge of taking a similar class has helped me in many ways. It makes you are well rounded self reliant person. Good luck with your decision :)