PDA

View Full Version : Bad photos

sandra-leigh
09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I finally received an official government photo ID card, weeks late. If I recall correctly I'd covered my beard shadow slightly, but it was otherwise my regular face. The photo rules required that I push my hair behind my ears and take off my glasses. And the photo is black and white.

It was, of course, a Bad Hair Incident, with hints of bags under the eyes ... bags that weren't actually there that day but the shadows didn't know that. The eyebrows that I nearly don't have were, sadly, not even close to being arched.

Sigh, why do official photos always make us look bad?

The good news about it is that when you look at the photo without glare, my hoop earrings are unquestionably there, and my face somehow looks more female than usual. Not handsome or pretty, but it is less clearly "a guy, for sure!", and yet somehow doesn't look like my mother (and I've been mistaken for my mother in pictures showing me tired!)

I could have wished for better hair and other impossibilities that day, but really all in all it's not so bad for depicting a transgendered person.

Jodygurl
09-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Mine's up for renewal soon so I'll remember the under eye advise. Thanks.

My hair is getting there but behind the ears is going to be a little while yet. Darn!

sandra-leigh
09-21-2010, 01:50 AM
I had to get a different official photo taken tonight, this one in color. This time I went home and washed my hair and shaved first, and put on a bit of foundation to hide the beard shadow, and this time I put on some light lipstick. Hoop earrings again, but smaller ones this time.

Unfortunately the picture shows quite clear blue/purple marks under the eyes. They weren't visible on my face, but remember that camera flashes are not typical lighting frequencies and can show up flaws. The requirements for this particular photo are that it be strictly un-retouched and must show "original skin tones", so I can't get the marks Photoshopped out, and even using makeup in that area would have been questionable unless it was closely matched to my natural skin colors. Not a hope of making the top 1 million in "Hot or Not", sigh.

At least this photo, too, is more on the femme side than my usual photos.

Anyhow, today's lesson: if you are prone to marks under your eyes, then camera flashes for official photos will probably highlight those marks even if they aren't visible to people.

Yolanda_Voils
09-21-2010, 04:30 PM
I have a couple of tips on beard concealment.

1st
Shave with a really good razor, like a Gilette Fusion, I use Caress Exotic Oil Infusions (Moroccan) as shave cream. Shave in every direction as the hair goes in multiple ways especially under the jaw.

2nd
After drying off completely and allowing the moisture to evaporate from your face, use a good electric razor. I use a Emerson $10 unit that shaves my face baby smooth. Pull your skin to expose the hair as much as possible going from every direction.
I use 50% alcohol to remove any left over soap or skin oils prior to this, a stick to bite on is helpful to minimize screams :)

3rd
Use "Concealer" not foundation to cover the beard, then use foundation everywhere, eyelids, neck, behind ears to get your color. Then "seal" the foundation in using a Compact or Baby Powder that is colored to taste. I color mine using very cheap dark Compact Powder.
Use a pretty large brush to seal in your foundation, not your fingers. You can get colored powder in a dispenser with brush included, best idea..

Lots of Luck
Yolanda