PDA

View Full Version : More time to visit here and dress as a result of unemployment!

lisa_vin
09-21-2010, 01:02 AM
:straightface::confused::idontknow: Should be at least SOMETHING positive about this.....right? Talk about mixed feelings.......I finally have some time to visit and post at our site here and have more time to cd but I'm not very happy about it because it came at the expense of being furloughed/laid-off! I hadn't had hardly any time to visit my friends here for the last year and a half due to a web-blocker at work (Yes, I took the scary gamble to visit y'all at work before the web-blocker was installed for the whole company because I couldn't do it at home) and a cd-blocker at home - my wife! I'd had even less time to dress (other than underdress) due to that same home cd-blocker.

Now I have more freedom for the things I enjoy but job search stress has not allowed me to really enjoy anything. Job search, even online, is very time consuming and depressing. I've been off work now since June 28th and my 90-day furlough expires in 7 days at which time I will be automatically laid-off. Call-back before then is not going to happen and I have had absolutely no luck in finding something else. My wife can replace most of my lost income from her small business and combined with my unemployment pay we can just pay the bills but things will be extremely tight until I can find another job. The national and local news gives little hope of things getting any better anytime soon.

My question to everyone - how many others here are in this same unemployment boat right now?

StaceyJane
09-21-2010, 01:27 AM
I'm not in the same boat right now but I was a few years ago. After I got out of the army it took awhile to find a good job. I tried several different things with varying degrees of sucess.
During the time I wasn't working I spent a lot of time at home and it was the first time I had to dress in a long time. I didn't have much then but it was a start.
Thankfully I eventually found a good job. I have also come a long ways in my dressing especially since I'm out to my family and I don't have to hide anymore.

Good Luck finding a job!

Persephone
09-21-2010, 02:16 AM
My spouse was propelled into early retirement a few months ago and we're living off of savings and the like. It has certainly made some changes around here!

But don't worry, by all measures it's going to get a lot worse.

karennjcd
09-21-2010, 02:50 AM
Almost lost my job twice in the past 4 years, but both times an 11th hour decision was made to retain me and my coworkers. The second incident was related to outsourcing, which they thought better of luckily.

Sorry to hear about your employment situation, and I know what you are going through having come close myself. Yes the ability and time to dress would be increased by not having to go to work..... But the downside is not having the means to finance the purchases that go along with being CD. :(

joanne anderson
09-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Hi Lisa, I am saddened to here about your job situation, I know things over there in the States are fer from good at the moment but I am sure things will eventualy work out for you.
I too was made redundant about 15 years ago and bcause of my age found it hard to get full time employment. Eventualy I set up my own business but this lasted just a few years. Now I am retired but during the time when I had, no job, I began to discover the pleasure and delight of dressing. I doubt if it had not been the fact that I had to spend so much time at home alone, I doubt that Joanne would exist, today, so I suppose that has been something to come of it.
Good luck

Joanne

alyssaenglefield
09-21-2010, 03:48 AM
I'm currently unemployed - I quit my last job at a supermarket before moving down here. Otherwise, it would be a 800km (500mi) trip to work! Regret it a bit - if I switched to casual I would have a job for the Xmas/Summer holidays.

Right now I'm a tertiary student, so I get $200.38 (NZ) every Wednesday in Student Allowance and Student Loan Living Costs - $78.12 in the former and $122.26 in the latter. Unfortunaterly, I have to pay my four "Uncles" (John Key, Bill English, Steven Joyce and Peter Dunne) back that $122.26 per week, in ten cents for every dollar I earn over $19,084 p.a.

Edwina
09-21-2010, 04:06 AM
My spouse was propelled into early retirement a few months ago and we're living off of savings and the like. It has certainly made some changes around here!

Way to go on the support front Persephone. :eek:

Good luck in finding a good job real soon Lisa
:love:
Edwina

Trish
09-21-2010, 06:48 AM
I was also forced into early retirement a few years ago. I finally gave up looking for a job. Right now I get to dress a lot more, and enjoy life.
Good luck with the job hunt!

Ashleythenewgirl
09-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Lisa,
I have been unemployed since March. I have felt the same as you pretty much- I have time to visit here, read up and "shop" online (as in dream). During the day I have the privacy to dress in what little I have or borrow from my wife. She knows, but doesn't want to see me do this (see my other posts if you have questions). And yes, the job hunting thing is depressing so I spend time doing that, apply etc and reward myself with Ashley time. But I don't have any clothes of my own yet, just some shoes, tights, a little make up and my wig (which I love). So great, I have some time but not much to go shopping with. And I finally worked up a little courage to go to Lane Bryant and try things on! It has been tough, especially trying to figure out which path to take. Looks like I will pursue medical billing and go back to school for that.
Some days are better than others....some days I feel really good like hey I can deal with this. Other days, I don't want to leave the house and see anyone at all. Lately it's been better though. One positive thing out of it all, I realized that there would be massive changes in my life and this prompted me to come out to my wife in May and finally admit to myself I wanted Ashley out and part of my life.

Nicole Erin
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM

Just shove a sharp stick in our eye while at it...

With the unemployment, yes it is a pain right now. I was looking for jobs and such, and I found one, this place was gonna pay between $10 - $12 an hour for some kind of job... and they wanted a 4 year degree and 5 years experience in whatever it was. Holy crap, $10 an hour used to be factory wages. I know, that is what I got before lay-off when they let 40% go cause business was slow.

See here is the problem - since there are more people than jobs, companies are cutting pay. Wel now since people are getting paid less, they spend less, and it is a nasty cycle. Something has to give.

Of course when you are out of work, people act like it is your fault. Like you are just some bum. Hell I have even went to these temporary work places and they always say "we are slow right now". Temp agancies used to be the place to walk in one day, have gainful employment that day or the next.

There ain't shit out there.

Pythos
09-21-2010, 10:48 AM
You job situation sucks, no doubt about, and in this economy it is really a hindrance.

However, I have got to add this. Your home situation sounds as bad if not worse.

Before I go on, am I to understand your wife has put on your computer a blocker on CD sites? (as scary as it is, there are such programs that can stop connections to specific sites). Or are you just referring to her, herself as the blocker.

I just gotta know if your wife is indeed that screwed up to put a program on your computer as if you are some child or something.

Ashleythenewgirl
09-21-2010, 10:50 AM
You said a lot there Nicole- especially the part about people acting like it's your fault. My college degree is worthless hence my decision to get into medical billing. The pay here is lousy, most jobs are in the $8-$9 range.

MelodyS.
09-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I am also not working right now. While I love the time I have to shop and dress, I really need to start working, I need money to pay off the credit cards purchases I have been making.

I hope you find something soon.

shelly-55
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
I went from full to part time about year ago and then completely unemployed jan 1. It's not like a vacation or anything....you have to have the right mindset and a lot of people will look down on you. I don't know your situation or what kind of person you are but here is my advice for you; quit drinking completely, yes that's right, no alcohol. When you are not working the opportunity to drink increases as well as the reason to, which is a bad combo. If you quit completely then you avoid the problem of deciding when it's OK, besides it will give you a kick.. which leads me to my 2nd bit of advice... workout! Use the extra time to get in even better shape than you are now! Spinning is get for the legs and who among us doesn't want great legs?? Getting in better shape helps combat the self esteem issues which plague many folks that are unemployed. For what it's worth that is my advice for you... go for it!

Hope
09-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Times are definitely tough... I have a masters degree and I can't even get a gig as an administrative assistant. I send out resumes every day, and for the most part hear nothing back, and when I do hear something back it is along the lines of "Gee, thanks for submitting your materials, but we aren't going to bother looking at them, now go **** off!" I haven't even had an interview for gigs I am overqualified for.

So I am tossing in the towel on the job search and starting my own small business. It is what I have always wanted to do... and while the timing is not ideal, the timing will never be "perfect." So here I go.

If we can keep the clowns who got us into this mess out of office in November, things will continue to improve.

Amanda22
09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Just don't let your time in CD-related activities get out of hand to the point where you aren't doing enough to find new employment.

Kathryn Martin
09-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I think in these times staring your own business is a real option. Or for that matter expanding on an existing business. If your wife has a small business have you thought about expanding it to generate more income and thus become your own boss.

Kerigirl2009
09-21-2010, 10:58 PM
I have been in your position and after nine months of looking I finally got a crappy job paying me about 1/3 of what I was making before. Now instead of dressing and looking for work, I wake up get ready for work, underdress, go off to a job that I absolutely HATE becasue it is a job that I feel is below my skills with no room for advancement although they said it did. I don't see this happening. but I at least make enough to pay for my vehicle loan and insurance. I hope and pray everyday for the right opportunity to come along soon. I will add you to my prayer list. good luck.

RachelF
09-22-2010, 02:22 AM
I have been without a full time job since March 1st, 2009. I do some consultancy and earn half what I used to. My SO is working full time and we do not have any debt, so we are tight but with no room for extra costs. So the main impact is that I have one year without buying any new crossdressing stuff, in the other hand certainly I have had more time to visit this site. I hope to find a full time job before the year ends, we still have young kids and we have to save for their studies beyond High School.

Loni
09-22-2010, 03:13 AM
i am lucky i have a job....for now. for the months of sept and october i am off work (medical) sept was just sleeping had to. october will be a fun time as i can now get out.
i do hope the economy improves soon. but alas not for at least four years...maybe more.
right now we are all holding out breaths for the next paycheck. but i deliver frozen food to the biggest fast food joint in this country...maybe the world. so long as people are to lazy to cook and the kids want the cheep toys i have a job. but even the coffee has been listed as better then starbucks.
and do to my age if this job goes south...i am retired. no body hires on a 50+ year old to drive a truck.

i do say and mean good luck at finding a job. i see way to many company's closed down for good.

eluuzion
09-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Don't worry, Wal-Mart will think of something... :D

Look at it this way...half the people who claim to be "self-employed" are really just unemployed people with an optimistic outlook! Hey, attitude is everything! :heehee:

I have been in some type of "sales" my entire life. One thing required for survival is that you always believe in yourself. The older I get, the more confidence I have in my ability to "survive" the tough times. I think about the fact that somehow, I have managed to survive this long, so I obviously have the skills to survive the current crisis. I consider myself fortunate to have developed those skills, as opposed to being somebody who has become dependent upon a regular paycheck.

I have been "wealthy" and "poor" many times in life, and probably will see a few more ups and downs before I die. I have been a corporate hitter flying around on corportate jets and I have been a roadside "flagger" holding a stop/slow sign for $9/hr in snowstorms. You just do what you need to do, but always believe in yourself. Employment status does not determine personal worth, unless you let it.

It is not how many times you fall, it is how many times you get up that matters. The only guarantee of failure is giving up. There is always a "good side" to every situation...just have to find it and weather the storm.

Hey, remember, false hope is better than no hope at all! :heehee:

This too will pass, just like the other challenges you have overcome. Keep your chin up...job hunting is brutal on self-esteem...stay positive!

:love:

KandisTX
09-22-2010, 05:00 PM
I was in the same boat for 10 months, unfortunately the job market here in Houston just really sucks. I FINALLY got work when I made a choice to change my career path. Now I am working, and am going through the process of getting more deeply immersed in my new career field of choice.

brandi
09-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I too am unemployed, have been for a little over a month, suspended without pay for 7 weeks before they let me go. I have only had 2 interviews and the rest have been "your qualifications arenice, but we have decided to purue other candidates who more closely match our requirements." I was reading the other day that the recessionhas been over for a year now and it leaves me wondering what the government feels is over for a recession since it seems there are still alot of people out of work and foreclosures are at an all time high.
Unlike alot of others here, I haven't really had the need or 'urge' to dress lately. I assume its because of the depression of not being able to find a job. I have also put on a little weight since I don't get out anymore so I just don't feel good about dressing anymore.
Brandi

Heather J
09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your emloyment situation, Hope you find something soon. As for me I am part of the growing class of people known as the "working poor". I lost my house in April and being sued by the banks for defualting on some of my credit cards. I am the only working in my household, my wife is in school and my 27 year old son is also currently unemployed for about 3 months now and hasn't had much luck finding a job either, so I understandhow you feel. Just remember to keep your head up and hope we can ride this out until things get better.

Heather J.

Cassandra Lynn
09-22-2010, 08:21 PM
My last day of work on this seasonal job is tomorrow. I was unemployed for 9 months before this job came along in April. And although it does suck to be in this situation, i'm looking at the bright sides.
After finally embracing my TGness, and getting sober one year ago, i had a real change emotionally and working with a bunch of young and testosterone charged guys has been very stressful, so in that sense i am ready for this.
The low paying and physically demanding job has trashed my already problematic lower back, so i'm ready for some healing and mending there as well.
Then perhaps i can get back to doing the core group exercises and ab work to try and get a more feminine body shape.

So, this friday is spa day for this girl, mani/pedi and time to shave off the forearm hair, no longer need the camouflage it provided.

Hello Ash, my friend, maybe we can get together for that cup of coffee and get acquainted now?

As for the clown party who got us into this? who cares......more worried about how long the current clown party will need to get us out. :doh:

:straightface: mj (Cassie) :straightface:

Kelly Blaine
09-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I am someone who believes what happens in your life always opens up new doors. I was out of work for three years and then, bingo I have a very good job and very happy.
Keep your hopes up better things are down the road I am sure.

lisa_vin
09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Thank all you ladies so much for your responses, advice and support. I'm truly sorry so many of you are in the same lousy situation I am.......especially those who have been it it much longer than I have. The "experts" say the recession is over and the job picture is slowly improving. Maybe we could all apply to take over these people's jobs so we could tell everyone the truth of what's really happening! I know that being in my 50's doesn't help but I really haven't noticed any age discrimination so far but then I've had only one interview so I can't really judge that just yet.

As for the cd'ing part, this does not take precedence over trying to find a job. I do my job search while dressed or not (I still underdress daily.....I'm happily dressed right now as I type this but I will have to change by 2:30 to pick up my daughter from school). I feel a whole lot less stress and anxiety while dressed than otherwise so I think it may be an advantage for me as I search! And Pythos, that was just a dumb joke about a "cd-blocker" at home (lol). My wife knows I visit this site.......she doesn't like it but doesn't protest too much as long as I carefully clean my tracks afterward so she or my daughter can't see or discover where I've been. My daughter doesn't know so I have to be careful that she doesn't accidentally stumble across something that would expose me. With my wife it's "Out of sight, out of mind!"

MargaretJ
09-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I've been unemployed for just over a year now, on the CD side of things I have been dressing 3 or 4 times a week, which I couldn't do if I was working. I can't however, afford to go out en femme, which is a real downer, buy new clothes or shoes, and the my cosmetics are running out . I had a job interview on Wednesday, and I'm hoping I get it, even though it is nothing great, I am well and truly bored out of my skull. I have a list of things I want to do, or buy, when I get a job, and they are all CD orientated.

Kelly Blaine
09-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Lisa,
As we get older it is harder to find a job and that is where my CDing has paid off. My skin routine for my face has paid off big time. Nobody knows my age and it is against the law to ask any questions that would devulge it. I am going to be 65 next month and keep on plugging away at the job market. You do the same, and you will eventually find one.

AlisonRenee
09-24-2010, 10:24 PM
I, too, was part of the mass of unemployed for way too long - 15 months. That was my second layoff in four years' time, and it definitely sucks - especially after 50. The right job did finally come along, and I was able to return to my field - which I had to leave after the first layoff, just couldn't find anything. The career switch "worked" but I was never happy in it. Being back in my chosen field feels too good to be true, but it *did* happen.

Moral of story: hang in there, ladies, and keep plugging at it even though you probably feel as though it's never going to break. It really can, you just can't give up. The right opportunity can come along, but you have to keep watching for it.

andrea35
09-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I have a job but is not enough to pay for the mortgage and all the other expenses so coming here gives me some serenity just like crossdressing does cause I get to think of something else and not my financial problems