PDA

View Full Version : my first rejection for being who I am

Victoria Anne
09-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Well I have been truly fortunate to have had virtually no rejections from my coming out until now. My mother who for the most part just did not want to know about it though she was fully aware and had at one point called me her daughter.

We were talking Sunday and she asked me to just be Tim when I came over to visit and flatly said I was disrespecting her in my life's choice . I told her that she should above all else want for me to be happy in my life and told me that if I were her patient she would have me in a phyciatric hospital !

I told her I will demand to be called by proper name and pronoun and she said it will never happen . I told her I would put up with errors for so long and that's it , I told her if she cannot accept me for who I am then our relationship would be over , I would never see her or call her again unless she could call me by proper name and pronoun.

She has always refused to read anything on the subject of transexualism , but the bright side of this , yes there is one . I appealed to her as a medical professional to read the article written by Dr. Ann Vitale and my Doctor ( a very good read , https://drjenspage.com/home_page.html ) and the Harry Benjamin standards of care and then added trans respect and etiquette.

I am hopeful she will read them and have a change of heart and if not I was dead to this family for many years before so I can go back to being dead easily , but I would prefer that she have a change of heart.

So this is my first rejection and probably will not be the last but I am OK and will live.

Faith_G
09-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I think she is still grieving the loss of the old you, in time she will get used to you and want you in her life. :hugs:

Bree-asaurus
09-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Sorry to hear. She might come around, she probably just needs time. If she doesn't, oh well. But you don't need that negativity in your life.

I just had to tell some people very close to me that I need some time without them (my first negative reactions as well), so you're not alone and good for you for standing up for yourself.

*hugs*

Traci Elizabeth
09-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Victoria,

My heart goes out to you. Your thread brings back many memories for me and just reminds me of how cruel parents can be sometimes. I too had hardened myself to the realities of not having loving parents prior to their passing.

I will not be one to tell you to hang in there, she will turn around. We can not pick our parents nor can we force them to accept us or love us. But what is far more important now is that you move forward with your head held high and live your life as you.

Our individual happiness is the one thing we absolutely control and no one can take away - not mother, family, wife, children, or past/current friends.

I salute you for your courage and for standing up for YOU!

Jorja
09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Yes unfortunately not everyone wants to go along with our plan. For some it does not matter what is best for the person transitioning. It is what is best for themselves. Do not get disappointed. Do not get depressed. Hold your head up high and go on with your life just the way you see it playing out. The road we travel is a very bumpy ride at times. When you finally come to the end of your journey, you will find it was all worth it in the long run.

Teri Jean
09-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Vicci there is this reality of rejection by those closest to us can be really trying. As you have experianced I too have been rejected by family members. Sad to say my mother did this as well as a couple siblings. My heart goes out to you and hope she will change her mind.

Victoria Anne
09-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Sorry it has taken so long to reply to you all , I thank you all for your support and encouragement . I am not going to let this get to me , my life has become infinately better and I am truly happy now and will never give in to anyone , thank you.

Nicole_P
09-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Victoria~

I tried going to the link you posted, but it didn't work- could you maybe post a different link, as I would really like to read the article~ Thanks!

Nicole

AKAMichelle
09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Be patient with her but firm. She is your mother. I have fought with my mom for years and years. So I know how you feel being rejected from your family. Hopefully she will come around and understand by you standing your ground that must understand your feelings.

Angel.Marie76
09-28-2010, 03:00 PM
The least you can do for yourself is continue to be happy in everything you do. There will always be people out there that will not understand, some that are afraid, and other than just don't care.. It is likely that we all will bump into any of those types of people in our lifetimes. Our strength comes from within, and shown to be true by all the others like us that continue to forge on, regardless of teh rough roads ahead.

Keep that chin up and smily, baby.. you've lots of reasons to!

:hugs: