PDA

View Full Version : A wonderful trip to the eye Doctor and shopping with a new friend

LeannL
09-23-2010, 05:36 AM
I have been and will for the foreseeable future be spending the week in a city other than the one that my wife and I live in. I have an apartment in this other, New York, location. So dressing is not a problem. As I am away from home, doing routine things like getting my eyes examined really need to be done in New York. So I took the opportunity to visit the optometrist as Leann. I figured that if it was a bad experience I could just find another the next time I needed my eyes checked. Yesterday was the day and it was anything but a bad experience :battingeyelashes:

I chose to dress in a black business suit (sorry I forgot the camera, but I wasn’t the only one – see below). If you have followed my flying pretty threads, you have seen it. I paired the suit with a light violet silk turtleneck and a pair of open toed heels.

When I arrived at the doctors, I was the only patient. The receptionist got the paperwork for me to fill out and since there was no one else there when she kept calling me by my male name, I unfortunately did not ask her to call me Leann. I need to keep my male name on the medical records so that the insurance coverage isn’t messed up.

Well, I finally got in to see the doctor. She was a wonderful lady who is a few years younger than I am (mid-50s). Early on, I asked her if she had any other patients who were like me and she said that she was not aware of any. She was quite a talker and we carried on about her stereotypical Jewish mother, family and traveling. All the while she appeared to be very comfortable with me sitting there in a skirt and heels. The biggest problem I had was that I wasn’t used to having to press my chest up against anything and the equipment for testing the eyes did just that. So I had to reposition myself often.

Towards the end of the exam, as she was setting up another machine to test for blind spots, I did mention that I should have asked the receptionist to call me Leann. She then asked if her records should say Leann instead of my male name. I explained that they couldn’t since the insurance would get confused. Then she asked when I was going to change my name! Well, I am not going to transition as I am fine the way I am. So I told her that I didn’t know when. Her suggestion was that she will put down a nickname on the medical records so they know to call me Leann. She expressed the opinion that it needed to be there since that is who I am and that there is no place for narrow minded biases! This is from someone who apparently has never met a CD/TG/TS person in her life! I love her! Her views also mean that she believed that I was now a woman full time. So it looks like I will always be going to see her as Leann . I guess there are worse things in life :)

I met with her assistant to order new glasses. The doctor brought me to her and asked her to help “this lady” with my selection. The assistant helped me pick out some new frames and treated me like a lady the whole time. Overall, the nearly two hour doctor visit was a very pleasant experience.

After the eye exam, I had planned on meeting up with Nicole to go north to the Woodbury Commons outlet mall for some shopping. The plan was to go as two business women, shop and then have some dinner. Well the eye exam ran an hour longer than I had planned so everything was late (sorry Nicole). We did finally meet at her hotel and made the trip to the mall. We did a little shopping before the rain came. It is an open-air mall and we found ourselves at the opposite end of the mall from where we parked her car! We made it back to the car without getting too wet. Nicole needed to visit one other store. So she went and did her business. By then it was almost 9 PM. So we found an Uno’s restaurant and had dinner. Through all of this we were had some interesting conversations about our lives, family and work. She also forgot her camera. So, again, I don’t have any pictures.

It was an interesting day to say the least with a new experience and meeting another lady that hangs around here. Thanks Nicole for the evening and dinner.

Leann

BLUE ORCHID
09-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Leann, What a great story sounds like your stars are aligned just right.

Orchid

LeannL
09-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Orichid,

Thanks. I still have a smile on my face and a warm spot for the doctor. She was such a nice person.

If anyone lives around Washington Township NJ, drop me a note and I will let you know her name. Someone as nice as she needs to be rewarded.

Leann

Jodi
09-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I will be traveling to upstate NY this weekend and plan to hit Woodbury Commons on Monday. It's always a fun experience. I shop in drab and always try on when I shop. I find that higher end stores are so much easier to do business with.

Jodi

Mollyanne
09-24-2010, 02:48 AM
Talk about a great day, that was a wonderful experience and I gotta tell ya I wish it had happened to me!!!!

Molly

Phyliss
09-24-2010, 03:19 AM
One thing I know about Woodbury Common, wear comfortable shoes, it's BIG. Lots of walking. If you can't find it there, they probably don't make it.

Gerrijerry
09-24-2010, 04:34 AM
exactly how you should be treated. With respect.

Nicole Brown
09-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Hi Leann,

I am so sorry that I have been tardy in replying to your thread, but as you know I had to run back up to Woodbury Commons to finally make my purchase on Thursday evening after work and then out to Amanda Richards on Friday for a makeover. Saturday and Sunday were also quite busy for me and I'll cover them in my own thread, but needless to say I have been a very busy girl. I totally enjoyed our meeting and look forward to the next time I find myself in your neck of the wood and we can have another girls night out. You are a lovely lady and totally enjoyed our time together, in fact I almost enjoyed rushing through the rain and trying not to get too wet.

"Mary"
10-07-2010, 09:54 PM
That's so great. I just had an I exam in my home town and got glasses. I was browsiong through the fem glasses, and two staff politely helped me locate the guys' frames. I just kept thinking - If only you knew. I knew what I was doing. The folks were nice. I'd go back again. But on a whim I ordered some new glasses on line. I ordered a guys' pair, a unisex style and a fem style with clip-ons.

http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php They start at just $8 complete!!!! They arrived yesterday and they work great. Scratch coating etc. would have been extra, so I just got the bare bones product.

Sorry about hijacking this away from your experience a bit, but i thought you and others would like to know about this - Get girl glasses via mail,cheap. That's a plus for any part timer.