PDA

View Full Version : Mcdonalds drive through: wierd

Michelle James
09-23-2010, 03:19 PM
First a little background:

Last Saturday my wife did my fingernails. I still have them on so this is day five en femme. I have been dressed and out in the world every day. Sunday was a girls day for my wife and me. Shopping etc. Monday I went shopping alone and ran some errands. Tuesday more errands etc. Wednesday was my day at the spa. Hair, makeup chest waxed. Today I did the grocery shopping at Wally World and hit Meijer for some makeup.

The point is through 5 days/24 hours of being a woman at no point has anyone mad a remark, looked at me funny or anything. Everywhere I went it was wonderful. Lots of "may I help you maam" or "how are you ladies today?"

Except for one quick stop through the Mcdonald's drive through for a Large diet Coke. I ordered through the speaker, paid at the first window, and when I picked up my drink at the second window the smartass young minimum wage jerk said "Have a nice day sir!! as if he needed to let me know I had just been clocked.

I am sitting here contemplating maybe it's just time to go back to male mode. What do you think should I be bothered by this?

janet1234
09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Give clerk finger, smile, drive off.

StaceyJane
09-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Things like that are going to happen. If you enjoy going out en femme then put behind you. think about all the good comments you've gotten. One comment from a teenager shouldn't mess up your life.

Berta
09-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Definitely not! You are so extremely fortunate to have such an accepting and supportive wife and most likely the envey of many of so much less fortunate. If it's not bothering your wonderful wife and you then don't you dare let that "smartass young minimum wage jerk" get to you over this. Most likely you'll never see each other again and if you do, what's he going to do? Most likely nothing as the sale is the only goal for workers in those jobs! Were it to happen a 2nd time then Janet's suggestion would apply, "Happens! Give clerk finger, smile, drive off." Me I might have the wife comment "Too bad you'll never look half as good as she does!"

MichelleL
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
It's definitely his problem, not yours.

Jessica Jameson
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you but I don't think you should be bothered by it. I work in retail and have had almost the same experience on my end. A coworker said almost the exact same thing to a customer. I don't think he or the person at the McDonalds wanted or needed to let you know that you had been clocked, but sometimes people may slip up subconsciously, and as much as we try to portray our desired genders, there are a lot of differences between gg's and gm's. Stuff happens, I think you should be who you are and not care about remarks you get from some guy at the McDonalds.

RachelZ
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
No need to get mad. You probably have a great job... and he works at McDonald... he must be such an important person that his opinion really matters...

Give clerk finger, smile, drive off.

Best advice ever :)

Michelle James
09-23-2010, 03:46 PM
No need to get mad. You probably have a great job... and he works at McDonald... he must be such an important person that his opinion really matters...

Best advice ever :)

Well the truth is I am currently unemployed. It's a double edged sword. I have a lot of time to be the girl I always wanted but money is a little tight.

bobi jean
09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Must be something in the MCDONALDS air systems. A male friend and I walked in to order, and eat, I was in heels, jeans, blouse boobs and all, and the "SIR" thing happened to me yesturday. EXCEPT, I asked to speak to the manager!!!!! (you should have heard what my male friend said)!!!!!!!!
The young man, all other workers and four or five customers were advised to address customers according to presentation. (and my meal was free). This took place in the last place in town you would expect. In San Diego Ca. in the area known as Hillcrest. the bad part is, my friend is the only one that was honestly upset.. he was pissed about the "SIR" thing. I won't go much into detail but his first comment was to ask the poor young man if he is f#*king blind. I had to make him go sit down before the manager come up front.
OH, in my opinion the finger part of the advise given earlier is NOT good advise. actually it is illegal in most states and besides a public, verbal request, in front of others, to be addressed according to appearance is about as much humiliation as most teenagers can handle anyway.

sissystephanie
09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Michelle, your tag line says it all!! The McDonald's clerk has his own problems, not your worry. BTW, sorry you are currently unemployed. Hope that doesn't last long!

Barbara Jo
09-23-2010, 03:57 PM
If you can remember what the guy looked like, etc, wite a letter to his manager (pretend you are a GG) and describe what a jerk he was and how insulted you are. You may get some free food coupons out of it and put the a-hole on thin ice.

Fact is, there are many masculine looking GGs and (inteligent) employers know they better not say anything as they can have a big law suite on their hands. So, his manager would probably wecome your input.

Holly
09-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Michelle, in the grand scheme of things just how important is this young man to your life? I would have just smiled at him and been on my way. Young persons and older people who fail to mature will sometimes try and bait others into a reaction. It really spoils it for them when you return meanness with kindness. Hold your head high, honey. You have nothing to hide. While he is busy conforming to what others think he should be, you are living the life you know should be yours.

Michelle James
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
If you can remember what the guy looked like, etc, wite a letter to his manager (pretend you are a GG) and describe what a jerk he was and how insulted you are. You may get some free food coupons out of it and put the a-hole on thin ice.

Fact is, there are many masculine looking GGs and (inteligent) employers know they better not say anything as they can have a big law suite on their hands. So, his manager would probably wecome your input.

I ahe taken your advise and sent the following e mail to Mcdonald's HQ I will update if I get a reply

I pulled into the drive through and ordered a Large Diet Coke through the speaker. I then pulled up to the 1st window and paid my $1.06 to the cashier. I was instructed to pull up to the next window where I was handed my drink by a young black man who looked at me and said "Have a nice day sir" with a smart alecky tone and emphasis on the sir. I have never been so insulted in all my life. I will acknowledge that I have gained a little weight but to insult me by calling me sir and to take such pleasure in it. I drove out of there with tears in my eyes, and quite frankly may be done with Mcdonalds forever. It is my belief that this was not just a "slip of the tongue" but an intentional slam. I'm not sure what action I can take in this matter but be assured I am exploring my options.

joandher
09-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I ahe taken your advise and sent the following e mail to Mcdonald's HQ I will update if I get a reply

I pulled into the drive through and ordered a Large Diet Coke through the speaker. I then pulled up to the 1st window and paid my $1.06 to the cashier. I was instructed to pull up to the next window where I was handed my drink by a young black man who looked at me and said "Have a nice day sir" with a smart alecky tone and emphasis on the sir. I have never been so insulted in all my life. I will acknowledge that I have gained a little weight but to insult me by calling me sir and to take such pleasure in it. I drove out of there with tears in my eyes, and quite frankly may be done with Mcdonalds forever. It is my belief that this was not just a "slip of the tongue" but an intentional slam. I'm not sure what action I can take in this matter but be assured I am exploring my options.

That will put the wind up him, and quite rightly so,it hasn't happened to me as yet, but my plan was simply to ask for the persons name give a big smile, then send an e-mail complaint both to the store/shop/ restaurant, and head office,
you could always take it one step further and phone the place pretending your from the local Radio/TV station telling them you have received a complaint and was wondering if they would like to respond , that would really start the panic button on code red

Hugs J-JAY

sometimes_miss
09-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Just let it go. There are plenty of jerks in the world, why worry about someone you don't know, and don't care about?

jenna_woods
09-23-2010, 05:00 PM
yes things like that do happen just let it go and go on enjoying who you are,

Michelle James
09-23-2010, 05:05 PM
I agree to let it go on an internal level. in fact I am already past it and planning my outfit for tommorrow. However I am now messing with them for the shear sport of it and to maybe strike a blow for t girls everywhere. Is there a target with deeper pockets than mickey D's. LOL

MichelleL
09-23-2010, 05:10 PM
You go girl!

Missy
09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
no like you said jerk this jerk will always be a jerk have fun enjoy your life as you want

Loni
09-23-2010, 06:15 PM
yes do as barbra jo says let the manager know what happened. free food or not they do not put up with this from the staff.
i deliver to this chain and i kinda know the working at the stores. it is corporate policy the costumer is right and be polite to all. but then they do hire from the bottom of the pool.

t-girlxsophie
09-23-2010, 06:31 PM
no way should you let this get you down.the guy IS a jerk trying to be the big I am,and failing badly get a nice outfit picked out and have another lovely femme day

:hugs:Sophie xx

5150 Girl
09-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Flipping the bird is never the way to go. You will only insight a fighting attitude! (now you've maade yourself the bad-guy in this)
ANYONE who serves the public (regardless of weather they're in retail, food service, emegencey service, home matince/delivery, what ever) needs to adress the customer in the gender which they are presenting, no if's, and's or but's about it.
If you are not respected in anyway by an SA you have 2 matters of recourse, the first is to speak to their manager on the spot. Repectfully explain to the manager how you were mistreated.
Second, write to the corperation, and gain, discribe in detail the incident.
Remember you have rights, not only as a TG person, but as a person in general!

TxKimberly
09-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Been there and done that. It's not so bad if people do it out of ignorance - honestly not knowing what the proper way to refer to us is.
it's another matter entirely when they are very clearly doing it just to be mean.
Here's the thing though - if we are going to be out in the world, we have to accept that we are almost certain to be clocked by some. Know that, accept that, and it looses it's power to intimidate you. In other words, while I know it hurts, you need to let it slide off and move on with your day.

janelle
09-23-2010, 07:12 PM
Let me tell you hun, I had almost the same thing only at Wendy's. When i got to the window that person called about 6 others over who looked out the window & started laughing. It mad me mad at first & like you almost sent me back into my shell but I thought hey, this is me, I guess i made there day. I also e-mailed them & told them i did not believe that was how they should let their employee's act. Those people are gone. Its a tough world & EVERYONE should RESPECT who ever they come in contact with. So I say to you dear, brush it off, be yourself & enjoy be true & honest with yourself cause your truly the only one that matters. Hope this helps.
HUGS, --------------------------------{-----------------@

alyssaenglefield
09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
I've had the reverse happen. Eighteen months ago, way before I even contemplating CD'ing, I went to the KFC drive-through on my Sunday lunch break.

"Can i have an Ultimate Burger Meal with the Original Fillet burger and original recipe chicken, upsized to large, Mountain Dew for the drink with no Ice", and the order taker replied "That comes $12.60, drive up when you're ready, ma'am". I was kind of taken aback that I had been called "Ma'am" - unless the OT was looking back at the speaker area and confused my red 1993 Toyota Corolla with my mum driving it (who actually owns the car), or confused it with another similar car owned by another woman.

jessica renee
09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
I have just the opposite thing happen at a McDonalds near my house. I've been there dressed as well as in drab and am almost always referred to as ma'am. That being said, I can understand how upset this could make you. The only real advice I can give is to just let it go, life's too short to get hung up over a few idiots.

Christinedreamer
09-23-2010, 08:43 PM
My step daughter works at McDs and she along with many others have been treated with utter disdain and insults from customers all the time. That being said, when someone takes a position in a service industry part of the training is SUPPOSED to be customer relations and especially in today's world.

You can take heart in the fact that this young man has probably already risen to the level of his incompetence.

Shananigans
09-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Pfft...he works at McDonalds...so, why are you stressin'? He doesn't matter anyway.

Chickhe
09-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Unless you want to discuss it, just respond with 'you are welcome, MISS'.

eluuzion
09-24-2010, 05:02 AM
not unless he spilled hot coffee on you...lol

think less, act more...life is short.

erickka
09-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Unfortunately, there are total a**holes everywhere. Just ignore them, because Kharma will finally catch up with them! You weren't doing anything wrong, so keep on enjoying yourself!

Leanne2
09-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Last week I drove to another town for my therapy session. But it was noon so I decided to eat at Wendy's first. Now, I can pass pretty easily but it's hard for me to voice pass. The young girl taking orders inside read me as male when I ordered my meal. She starred at the touch screen trying not to look at me but she couldn't stop a nervous smile. When we made eye contact I said," Be kind." She smiled, gave me a thumbs up and said," You're good, you're OK." I smiled back and said," thank you." Later, when I was eating I noticed the manager mingling with the customers. As he passed me he asked if everything was OK. I told him that the young girl taking orders was very nice. He said," I'll tell Lucy that you said that." I would like to think that I made life a little easier for the next trans person who will eat there. Leanne

joyce483
09-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Isn't that the age group that doesn't accept anything!! Comments from teenagers should just be taken from a group that are still trying to find themselves. Going out in public is still the most challenging thing we have to conquer the more we do it the easier it becomes!! Just like going through the checkout lines, the first time I was nervous as hell, it is no big deal now that I have done more.

linda allen
09-24-2010, 08:24 AM
........... but then they do hire from the bottom of the pool. .

Yes they do and they can't help it. Corporate policy is one thing but they can't be as picky about who they hire as they might like. Laws and all. Any other minimum wage, first job establishment would be the same.

I think writing a letter to let them know what happened is a good idea, but other than a few dollars worth of food and a written appology, it would be unfair of you to expect a big award like the lady who spilled hot coffee on herself sued for.

bobi jean
09-24-2010, 08:59 AM
OH BOY!!!! I posted yesturday about my incident at a Mc Donalds. I find it hard to believe that some of us seem to have so much intolerance towards any person without knowledge of "US". As for McDonalds hireing form the bottom of the pool, how man of us started at McDonalds or some other place like that?????? In fact, How many of us are in jobs now that others would look down on having? BOTTOM OF THE POOL???? some of the most intelligent people I know started working at places such as mcDonalds. My son, a professor at a university here in San Diego, (one short month from his PH D) started working at a Sonic Drive inn.
I personally took an educational approach to the situation. I wasn't upset, the guy with me was! I didn't get mad, nor did the manager. We simply had a disussion about how I was dressed at the time, how I, and a lot of others dress, and the reaction to those who, as I do, appear out of the norm. The manager handeled it very well, we tried to EDUCATE not scold. he was in no trouble, his job was not on the line, and I do not think we upset him in the slightest. Hopefully, we (the manager and I) were able to help this young man to appreciate the choice of others, not hate them for it....
I know, we may not have been able to change the mind of this young man about the whole Idea of crossdressers, transsexuals or anything else he may not have knowledge of, but I do know we did nothing to create or cause more hatred towards "someone elses" lifestyle or life choices. Sorry for the ranting and venting, but I'd like to say, I think we should use every opportunity we can to "educate, to appreciate, not hate ! !".

Jamiegirl1
09-24-2010, 09:00 AM
There is a gay bar that I go to sometimes when dressed,There has been this one jerk there several times,He always makes a point to come up to me and says "How are you doing today? Sir". I think he is looking for a fight.I just smile and say "I'm fine, thanks". Some people are just A-holes. Don't let one or two jerks ruin your day, I don't..........Jamie

Jorja
09-24-2010, 10:43 AM
You know,,,, a properly aimed tazer and repeated squeezes of the trigger cures jerks of this type of action.

NicoleScott
09-24-2010, 10:56 AM
I worked at a burger joint, too, and it's a good entry-level, part-time, or temporary (in my case) job. Unfortunately, some idiots like the one mentioned are doomed to never advancing beyond burger flipping. The rude treatment wasn't out of ignorance, but was a mean-spirited act intended to embarrass. I would think that a letter to McDonald's headquarters would get you an apology and the particular restaurant's manager would get reminded of corporate policy regarding treatment of customers.

Barbara Jo
09-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Yes, a letter gets the most response and an e-mail is generally ignored. E-mails are for casual use or online buisness only.

Personally I believe in always going right to the top in most cases.
I aways send a registered a letter -signature required and this rarely fails to get a favorable response as they can't claim that they are not aware of the situation.

"The squeaky well gets the grease" definately applies in todays world more than ever.

alyssaenglefield
09-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I reckon you need to punch high and punch low - write to the head office and the individual store. The head office can only do so much, mostly passively, while the individual store can be active in sorting the problem: discipline, or if necessary, the "Donald Trump".

Even though I'm against the Employment Relations Amendment Bill (the "90-day fire-at-will" bill), it's starting to look attractive in this light.

PretzelGirl
09-24-2010, 03:59 PM
I am going to agree with Bobi Jean's posts twice.

First, you can decide to brush it off and continue on. Or you can decide to ask for the manager and have what I like to call "an educational moment". But don't let someone being a jerk get you down. There is too many of them in the world, so you will run into them.

Second, well that is going to a new thread to not derail this one.

Christinedreamer
09-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I hear the horror stories every day about McDs from my step daughter. A LOT depends on the owner/manager aspect as well. For instance the difference between McDs and say... In-N-Out is like night and day. Same for Jack in the Box. At some fast food places the service is great, fast, polite and efficient and then there are the others. One issue is the constantly changing hours and frequently cut hours. Jana goes in at 5:00 and sometimes is sent home by 8:30 am because they have too many managers or slow biz. That being said, at THIS McDs they definitely have scraped the gene pool with some of the "help".

I was at a Denny's a few weeks ago in drab when a very sharp looking TG came in. One of the cooks read her though and starting making snide remarks to the others in the kitchen loud enough that some could be heard by the T-gurl and her friends. On her own, the cashier went and got the manager, and went to have a "talk" with the kitchen crew. A few minutes later the manager came out and sincerely apologized and then insisted on making the meal for the entire party gratis. This was met with applause from us and about 4 other tables. That was class.

5150 Girl
09-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I just rememberd, a while back, I was in my local grocerie, and the cashire called me "sir" while I was dressed. BUT..... I let it slide... why? Well, I'm in there alot both drab and in fem. And see'n as how she was an older person (about 60ish) and didn't punch the "sir," I figgured she just recignised my face and assumed I was going to a party later or some such.
I call this a lesson in picing your battles.
I did however consiter writing the company later, and say'n somthing like, I know she ment no mallace, and likely recignised my face, it still kinda botherd me a bit.

Michelle James
09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Update: I resceived the following E mail reply from MCd's:

Hello:

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the McDonald's in Garden City, MI with me. Your feedback is very important to us as it allows us to better understand how we can improve our service to you.

I am sorry for the unprofessional service you received. Please be assured that we want to provide you with an exceptional experience every time you visit us. From your email, it is clear we did not meet your expectations. Again, I am truly sorry we disappointed you.

I want you to know that I have already taken action on your feedback. After reading your email, I immediately shared the information you brought to our attention with the local franchise owner of the restaurant you visited. Additionally, I notified our regional McDonald's consultant who works with this owner for follow-up in the restaurant and appropriate corrective action.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your business and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you soon.

Jessica
McDonald's Customer Response Center

ref#:7207432

Today i received a phone call from a supervisor at that store. She was very sorry that this happened and assured me that not only the offending employee but the entire staff would receive additional training.

What more could I ask? At least they are trying!

KarenCDFL
09-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Ya know,

I used to make make fun of Micky D's employees out of ignorance by saying " Would you like fries with that?" as some sort of an insult.

Now, with the economy the way it is, I have been practicing that line myself every so often.

Where am I going with this? You are going to get jackasses no matter where you go. For some reason it boosted that moron's ego by him insulting you.

I would just let it go and remember that when the economy does get better and the jobs are back for the rest of us, that idiot will still be saying "Would you like fries with that and cleaning up old rancid milk shakes off the bathroom floor.

alyssaenglefield
09-28-2010, 07:18 PM
They didn't give you vouchers for free food? That's what I'd expect with the apology!

Asako
09-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Dealing with Dumbass McGee in the drive-through may be irritating to you people but I WORK in fast food with someone like that who's always full of crap. They come and go. Who's to say he'll still be there the next time you order from the place? Who's to say he won't have "fired himself" through stupidity or anger over some ridiculous event? I have seen people come and go semi-often at the "restaurant"(that's what Pizza Hut prefers to call their stores) that I work at. The store I work for is dysfunctional and doesn't seem to really enforce ANY rules beyond uniforms but in the pizza store my parents owned(we lost the business), similar actions nearly costed a driver his job. My sister made it clear he was skating on thin ice.

I'd dig at those who made degrading comments about the guy's type of work place since MY work place is similar in nature but that's not the purpose of the thread. Yes, I'm slightly offended by those comments.

NathalieX66
09-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Ooh!, Thanks for the idea...I'm so planning on doing this at the end of this week. :)
I live in New Jersey, and it's nothing but toll booths. So far I've never had a bad reaction since going out for about a year. ....often dropping jaws to laughs, to just no reaction at all. Handing people money in long bright red nails gets their attention right away, and causes these zombies to look eye to eye. I'm at the stage where I just don't care any more. It took me a couple of times to get over that hill.
And, yes, I got "ma'amed at a Pathmark Grocery store checkout while buying ice cream & bananas a few weeks ago....."ma'am, you have a nice evening" was the exact quote from the cashier.

7sisters
09-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Please just be yourself. Why care for what others feel.

Lucy_Bella
09-28-2010, 11:45 PM
No I wouldn't let it bother you too much...I think Mc Donalds workers deserve more than minimum wage also..Sounds like you had a great time until that point ,minimum wage or not it was a kid and who knows maybe he was being a jerk but that doesn't mean you where clocked. You know kids like that maybe he thought you was a female and threw a rude comment your way..

Loni
09-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Last week I drove to another town for my therapy session. But it was noon so I decided to eat at Wendy's first. Now, I can pass pretty easily but it's hard for me to voice pass. The young girl taking orders inside read me as male when I ordered my meal. She starred at the touch screen trying not to look at me but she couldn't stop a nervous smile. When we made eye contact I said," Be kind." She smiled, gave me a thumbs up and said," You're good, you're OK." I smiled back and said," thank you." Later, when I was eating I noticed the manager mingling with the customers. As he passed me he asked if everything was OK. I told him that the young girl taking orders was very nice. He said," I'll tell Lucy that you said that." I would like to think that I made life a little easier for the next trans person who will eat there. Leanne

now this is the way for things to be handled great job, you desurve to go shopping and buy a new pair of shoes.

there will be jerks no matter what, but we can make life a bit better for next time. and live life singing our very own songs.

Tara1967
09-29-2010, 12:47 AM
well by the time someone reads the email sent in and then phone calls are made, the mcdonalds employee will have already quit his job anyway. I go to the same fast food resturant every wednesday, and just like clock work, it's always a different crew every week. You'll probably see him at KFC next week, the burger king the next, then off to wendy's, then hardee's, then sonic, waffle house, etc. Then he'll start back around the circle again.

Diane Smith
09-29-2010, 01:04 AM
My experience at drive-throughs and toll booths (including more McDonald's than I would actually care to admit) has ranged all the way from total indifference (and maybe a moment's hesitation on the server's part) to some interesting conversations about nails, jewelry and makeup. But never any outright hostility, deliberate use of "sir," or other explicit disrespect. One time a cashier took my money from my long red nailed hands and said, "thank you sir, I mean ma'am," but she did it with such a sweet look and smile that I know nothing insulting was intended.

Maybe I've just been lucky up to now.

- Diane

Schatten Lupus
09-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Nah. The fast food guy probably just really wasn't paying attention, your voice might have sounded more masculine over the ear piece thingy, or he might just be a jerk. But to go back into hiding over what might have been just an honest mistake that does get men mistaken for women and women mistaken for men isn't worth it. And fast food workers hardly ever make enough to deal with all the shit that is thrown there way.

Patty B.
09-29-2010, 02:22 AM
This sure brought a lot of replies, and you handled things as well under the circumstances. Only other option was to immediately stopped and entered the store and talked to the manager. Just dont let some one like that ruin your day.

NicoleScott
09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
...I think Mc Donalds workers deserve more than minimum wage ..

You can tip if you think this. I've never seen evidence that entry-level workers provide more VALUE for what they do than what minimum wage pays. There are opportunities in the industry for those who excel. Entry-level jobs such as burger-flipping will never be able to pay enough to support a family living in a nice house and driving nice cars (except in socialist societies). I like McDonald's and other fast food, but I get frustrated and disgusted at how dysfunctional some of these places are. They should be glad they get minimum wage. Those who deserve more will get it (in free-market societies).

Asako
09-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Tara just about hit the nail on the head. Some fast food places keep more crew than they need so that when someone quits or gets fired, they still have enough crew members to get the job done.

They should be glad they get minimum wage.
There are so many ways I could read this sentance in a negative light. Especially since I work in fast food.

Daphne Renee
09-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I wouldnt worry about it too much. Chances are you will never see this person again. Be who you are. Your wife supports you and that is HUGE IMO.

NV Susan
09-29-2010, 03:14 PM
As others have said...just let it go, it could of just been a slip of the tongue. :o

NicoleScott
09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Asako, my comment wasn't meant as a put-down for people who work fast food. In a previous post, I said I worked in one. It was a temporary job I needed to fill the gap between military discharge and the start of college. It was good work, I held my head up, and never treated customers rudely, but the value of my work was only worth to the manager the small pay I got. I just disagreed with a post that said that workers deserve more than minimum wage. As we all know, there are some good workers and some bad ones. I agree that some deserve more, but some aren't worth minimum wage.

Sparkles
09-29-2010, 07:54 PM
It's not your fault he's insecure in himself. You just keep being you!

Asako
09-29-2010, 11:24 PM
@NicoleScott:
Thank you for clarifying that, hun and I can definitely relate to the minimum wage thing. Though, the way you phrased that sentence...I wasn't sure what you implied. Hence, why I said what I did. *hug* When you posted that response, I was getting my arse wooped all over the Make Table to the point that I gave up while thinking "I don't get paid enough for this crap!". XD Wing Street Wednesdays + only 1 cook = Ultimate Pizza Smack Down #4! ^.^ I owe today's morning cook BIG time for not prepping a single thing for tonight like he was supposed to. >=) <---devil horned smilely! EEK!

Lucy_Bella
09-29-2010, 11:47 PM
You can tip if you think this. I've never seen evidence that entry-level workers provide more VALUE for what they do than what minimum wage pays. There are opportunities in the industry for those who excel. Entry-level jobs such as burger-flipping will never be able to pay enough to support a family living in a nice house and driving nice cars (except in socialist societies). I like McDonald's and other fast food, but I get frustrated and disgusted at how dysfunctional some of these places are. They should be glad they get minimum wage. Those who deserve more will get it (in free-market societies).

It was a joke , now this I really do feel.. We are all just one slide of a boot away from working at a Mc Donalds and I show some respect to those who have no choice, like seniors, high school kids and mentally challenged.. I for one have never worked in a fast food resturant but if I had to I sure would with out even second guessing it.. Rather that than getting Obama bucks..

Kate17
09-30-2010, 11:53 PM
A lot of interesting comments here. This seems to really bother some of you girls. The only thing I can add to the discusion is if you feel you have to make a retort to some rude creature, say it with a big smile :) They usually have no idea how to handle that and it usually disarms everyone else.

Paula Siemen
10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
It happens! If you're out often enought and long enough, som A..Hole is going to make a point of improperly addreeing us. Their small minds tell them that it improves their status if they meke everyone around know that they have recognised you as a guy dressed up like a woman. They really need so psycho help. Your redemption is how you handle it. Just ignore it like you didn't hear it and go on about your business. It may make the A..Hole wonder if he was obnoxious enough or if next time he needs to be a little more indignante to which case. he'll ultimately do it to the wrong person and suffer the consequences.

The same scenario happened to me just last Sunday while out enfemme. The day was going very well until I stopped at a Panora Bread Co. Store for a snack and the little college SH.T had to say "thank you SIR." Yes it does piss you off, but what the hell.

divamissz
10-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Get mad, you'll spend a half hour upset. Let it go, you'll spend half a minute getting over it. Then spend the other twenty-nine and a half minutes you just saved on shopping!

Okay, I've developed a pretty thick skin when it comes to BS. As others have pointed out, you're being slagged off by someone working the drive-through at McDonalds-consider the source.

Oh, before flipping the bird or other methods of expressing yourself just remember that everybody has cameras and audio recorders in their drive-through now...

Proteus
10-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Any manager worth his salt will thank you for telling when an employee is misbehaving. It makes their job a lot easier. Being alone trying to sort out the bad apples in the workplace is challenging, a second point of view (yours) will help a lot getting the point across.

Schatten Lupus
10-04-2010, 11:58 PM
You can tip if you think this. I've never seen evidence that entry-level workers provide more VALUE for what they do than what minimum wage pays. There are opportunities in the industry for those who excel. Entry-level jobs such as burger-flipping will never be able to pay enough to support a family living in a nice house and driving nice cars (except in socialist societies).
McDonald's employees are not allowed to accept tips, as is the case in many fast food places. And with fast food, it's not the value or skills required, but the fact they put up with alot of shit from assholes of all sorts and are often subjected to stressful, hot, and very fast paced work environment that is staffed at the minimum amount of people to operate it. Fast food isn't as easy as most people think.

Schatten Lupus
10-05-2010, 12:03 AM
This thread reminded me when I was working at Arbys I was on the night/closing crew and we were bad about planting good comments and I would pick the lock to the comment card box and dispose of the few bad ones that did come through. One day corporate office got an email about how wonderful we treated these guests, how welcomed he felt, and well we treated his family. A few of us suspected this one guy who was known for pulling pranks, but we later found who it was. And then wondered what sort of hellish life that guy and his family must have because we didn't treat them any better than we did any body else (we weren't rude by any means, we just weren't too friendly), and we even messed something about their order up. I think the fries or something might have been cold.