PDA

View Full Version : Essential Accessories

Rachael Warren
09-04-2005, 04:38 AM
Hi to all, I have a large collection of clothes that I have collected over the years, but no accessories to speak of.

In my dreams I would love to go out in public somewhere, but apart from my handbag what else would I need?

When I walk into a shop like Claire's for example, I don't know where to start, and I have been told to avoid the teen look anyway.

What do you think are the must have accessories for a modern girl or T-girl?

Any suggestions or preferences are invited from either side of the fence, keep it clean and ladylike though.

Oh, and I love things that sparkle. :p

In anticipation, Rachael. :)

Imogen_Mann
09-04-2005, 05:05 AM
The way I see it, it's up to you, and who said you had to avoid the teen look ? Wear what you like girl, if it feels good.... DO IT !

One thing I will say.... DO IT.... but don't over do it. I've seen rather a lot of Barbara Cartland impersinators around over the years, and it just looks silly.

(like I'm in a position to call anyone else silly !! :D )

XX

Jayme

Rachael Warren
09-04-2005, 05:26 AM
The way I see it, it's up to you, and who said you had to avoid the teen look ? Wear what you like girl, if it feels good.... DO IT !

One thing I will say.... DO IT.... but don't over do it. I've seen rather a lot of Barbara Cartland impersinators around over the years, and it just looks silly.

(like I'm in a position to call anyone else silly !! :D )

XX

Jayme

Hi Jayme, I know what you are saying and I DO IT.

I posted a couple of pictures in a Poll thread and asked for peoples opinions, a number said that I needed to dress more my age. Shame really, because most of my stuff is like that, I have allways just bought what I like.

The advice seems good though, if I am to pass in public, I need to draw as little attention as possible.

How many times do we see the "Mutton dressed as lamb", it's a very valid point.

At home though, I'll stick with the short skirts and touchy-feely tops, who cares what I look like if I feel OK, right?

Lots of love, Rachael. :)

Imogen_Mann
09-04-2005, 05:28 AM
Damn right sister !

Dont forget though, some guys like mutton dressed as lamb :D

XX

Jayme

Rachael Warren
09-04-2005, 05:33 AM
Damn right sister !

Dont forget though, some guys like mutton dressed as lamb :D

XX

Jayme

Yes Jayme, don't I know it.

I'll just avoid men in general, no offence intended, after all isn't that what I am doing by crossdressing, avoiding my male self?

Rachael. :rolleyes:

Jen_TGCD
09-04-2005, 11:01 AM
At Claire's... check out the magnetic earrings and they also have those hoops with the spring. They both look like you have real pierced ears. A short, simple chain necklace with an interesting pendant is a nice look and pearls are always in fashion!!! :D :thumbsup:

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-04-2005, 11:57 AM
At home though, I'll stick with the short skirts and touchy-feely tops, who cares what I look like if I feel OK, right?

There's dressing for yourself and dressing to go out in public. Our comments in the other threads were focused on the latter. At home, do whatever you like.

Earrings are always nice, although unfortunately the selection of clip-ons can be limited. Necklaces, especially pendant or y-neck styles, are good, since they draw attention away from our larger necks. I personally like a ring or two, although you may need to shop online to find a larger size. I've also got a watch, which is useful when going out. Bracelets are fun, but not the best to wear out, since they can draw attention to oversized hands. (It can also be hard to find them in large enough sizes.)

Rachael Warren
09-04-2005, 12:22 PM
At Claire's... check out the magnetic earrings and they also have those hoops with the spring. They both look like you have real pierced ears. A short, simple chain necklace with an interesting pendant is a nice look and pearls are always in fashion!!! :D :thumbsup:

Hi Jen, thanks for the post.

It's funny you should mention those magnetic earings, I bought some when on holiday in Florida a few years ago, only to walk into a Clair's shop a few days later and get my ears pierced, so the magnetic ones are a bit redundant. I think I will follow your advice though and get some hoops, I see lots of girls wearing them.

As for the pearls etc, anything that is shiney gets my vote!

I wear a chain and pendant in boy mode, so I'll try the pearls. ;)

Hugs, Rachael.

Marla GG
09-04-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree that a feminine watch is a great accessory, and not so hard to find in a larger size since most watches have adjustable bands.

Earrings and necklaces are must-have accessories too, and you big and tall girls can get away with much larger pieces than petite ladies can, so take advantage of that (within reason). I think prominent earrings really help with presenting a passable image.....they are one of those little details that people notice. Plus, it's a nice feminine feeling when you notice the weight of them hanging from your ears.

Scarves are really in fashion right now, which is great because they can be so stylish and sophisticated looking (not to mention good for hiding that Adam's apple) :rolleyes:

Rachael Warren
09-04-2005, 12:28 PM
There's dressing for yourself and dressing to go out in public. Our comments in the other threads were focused on the latter. At home, do whatever you like.

Earrings are always nice, although unfortunately the selection of clip-ons can be limited. Necklaces, especially pendant or y-neck styles, are good, since they draw attention away from our larger necks. I personally like a ring or two, although you may need to shop online to find a larger size. I've also got a watch, which is useful when going out. Bracelets are fun, but not the best to wear out, since they can draw attention to oversized hands. (It can also be hard to find them in large enough sizes.)

Thanks for the reply Darla.

I don't have a problem earring wise, I have girl style piercings allready.

The watch is a real good idea, I only have an obviously male one, may have saved my life there. ;)

I also dont have many bracelets, I think I have a couple of bead ones, more for the shopping list. :)

Hugs, Rachael. :)

Rachael Warren
09-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I agree that a feminine watch is a great accessory, and not so hard to find in a larger size since most watches have adjustable bands.

Earrings and necklaces are must-have accessories too, and you big and tall girls can get away with much larger pieces than petite ladies can, so take advantage of that (within reason). I think prominent earrings really help with presenting a passable image.....they are one of those little details that people notice. Plus, it's a nice feminine feeling when you notice the weight of them hanging from your ears.

Scarves are really in fashion right now, which is great because they can be so stylish and sophisticated looking (not to mention good for hiding that Adam's apple) :rolleyes:

Oooh, Marla, an excuse for me to get danglie's, why thank you! :)

Scarves, I dont think I own one even in the drab wardrobe, hmmm, good idea. :)

I'm 5' 8" by the way, so I take your point. :)

Love, Rachael.

Jodi
09-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Some of these have been mentioned already.

-Get a great purse. Women love their bags and notice these first. Remember, shoes and bag can make or break an outfit.

-belts. a nice chainlink or leather belt is a nice touch.

-Marla says scarves. I second that.

-When going with jewelry. The rule of thumb is--after getting dressed and putting on all of your jewelry, look in the mirror. Then remove one piece of jewelry. Cd's have a tendency to wear too much jewelry--not my opinion, but the opinion of my gg friends.

-hosery. The right hose (style and shade) can spruce up even the drabbest outfit.

Jodi

Rachael Warren
09-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Some of these have been mentioned already.

-Get a great purse. Women love their bags and notice these first. Remember, shoes and bag can make or break an outfit.

-belts. a nice chainlink or leather belt is a nice touch.

-Marla says scarves. I second that.

-When going with jewelry. The rule of thumb is--after getting dressed and putting on all of your jewelry, look in the mirror. Then remove one piece of jewelry. Cd's have a tendency to wear too much jewelry--not my opinion, but the opinion of my gg friends.

-hosery. The right hose (style and shade) can spruce up even the drabbest outfit.

Jodi

Thanks for that Jodi.

I don't have that much at the moment but have noticed your suggestion for a belt., I havn't got any of them. :)

I don't have much Jewelry eitther.

Thanks for the reply.

Love, Rachael. :)

susandrea
09-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Don't go to Clairs. The stuff is cheap and cheap looking.

Go to the department stores, like Macys. Check out "Monet" and "Liz Claiborn".... almost anything at the costume jewelry counter. Avoid the antique looking stuff, I doubt it's you. Items on sale are very reasonable. Keep in mind that "less is more". Choose pieces that are classic and mix and match well. If you stick to one brand for a while until you get the hang of it, it will help.

Choose a bag that's small and a neutral color like black or brown, whatever most of your shoes are. It doesn't have to be boring, just don't go wild if you'll have only one, otherwise it will clash.

A colorful scarf can do wonders, but you have to know how to tie it. Look it up on the internet.

And hello? Get a couple fashion mags and read up! All the girls do, so get going. You'll see "Do's" and Don'ts" and they ain't kidding. You'll get loads of ideas.

http://www.luckymag.com/

Happy shopping!

Rachael Warren
09-05-2005, 02:32 AM
Don't go to Clairs. The stuff is cheap and cheap looking.

Go to the department stores, like Macys. Check out "Monet" and "Liz Claiborn".... almost anything at the costume jewelry counter. Avoid the antique looking stuff, I doubt it's you. Items on sale are very reasonable. Keep in mind that "less is more". Choose pieces that are classic and mix and match well. If you stick to one brand for a while until you get the hang of it, it will help.

Choose a bag that's small and a neutral color like black or brown, whatever most of your shoes are. It doesn't have to be boring, just don't go wild if you'll have only one, otherwise it will clash.

A colorful scarf can do wonders, but you have to know how to tie it. Look it up on the internet.

And hello? Get a couple fashion mags and read up! All the girls do, so get going. You'll see "Do's" and Don'ts" and they ain't kidding. You'll get loads of ideas.

http://www.luckymag.com/

Happy shopping!

Thanks yet again Susan, your'e my guardian angel!

I have allready tried out some of your previous advice, and have some of your recomendations on the ever expanding shopping list!

We don't have the stores that you mention here, but I get your point. I'll have a look in the fashion shops.

I find myself in Claire's often, this is mainly due to it being a magnet to my 16 year old daughter! ;)

Keep watching out for me and save me from any big mistakes.

Lots of love, Rachael. :)