PDA

View Full Version : What would a middle ground look like?

PuniPuni
09-26-2010, 06:34 PM
First, clarification. I like being a guy. I'm comfortable with my sex and I like the way I think. I spend less money on clothes and I get more done in less time when I go out shopping. =P I admire my mom and my sister immensely but they are slow as heck sometimes. I'm my dad's son and I could never bring myself to be my dad's "second daughter." Thus, my overall goal of being on this forum is not to create a new persona for myself. Rather, I want to be myself and do things I want to do without feeling necessary to push myself into one category or another. I don't want to wear women's clothing designed for women. I want to wear women's clothing designed in men's styles.

So, what do you ladies and gentlemen think? Is it possible to find that middle ground? Can you be a male in a skirt (not a kilt. An actual freaking skirt) without having to take on the identity of a woman? If I decide to show off my legs while lifting heavy things and opening pickle jars do you think I can get away with it? What kind of clothing styles does that entail?

Butterfly Bill
09-26-2010, 06:44 PM
You certainly can be a man in a skirt and not not have to present as a woman; I've been doing it for 16 years. The epitome of women's clothing in men's styles is the skirted suit, and then the pants suit. Anything that that Katherine Hepburn or Marlene Dietrich would have worn is an example. Just don't do any floral prints.

Dian077
09-26-2010, 06:50 PM
I agree with you punipuni. No I do have to say, at times I do like the idea, of being able to get all dolled up. But I too have the desire to be able to wear a skirt and still present as myself.....just in a skirt.

sissystephanie
09-26-2010, 08:03 PM
As I have said repeatedly, I have no desire to be a woman!! I just like to dress as one. When my wife passed away several years ago, I lost the person who not only did my makeup but also fixed my wig. Now I just put on a skirt and top over my bra and panties and go out into the big world!! Sure I look like a man becaue I am one!! Have not had one comment on my clothing choices in over 5 years!

Stephenie S
09-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes you can.

I often tell the story of the man I saw in Barnes and Noble one day a few years ago. (The old timers here are groaning). Anyway, he was a tall, heavily built guy with a full, dark beard, wearing a plaid work shirt, tan leather vest, high laced tan work boots with white socks, and the cutest pleated navy knee length skirt. No one was paying him the slightest mind.

In many large cosmopolitan cities like NY, you will occasionally see guys in skirted business suits.

In neither of these instances is anyone trying to present as a woman. Just a guy in a skirt.

S

NathalieX66
09-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Women's fashion asthetics are just better than mens, IMHO. You're challenging the stereotype of what society expects of men.
Nothing wrong with alternating between the two roles....... I do it ...It makes me feel more whole. I no longer feel trapped in a box.
You are talking to someone that does go out occasionally in public en femme .

FYI, I've been to the B&N in NYC at the corner of Broadway & 9th st en femme once. :)

PuniPuni
09-27-2010, 09:34 AM
You big city people and your multi-story bookstores... so jealous. T_T

Cassandra Lynn
09-27-2010, 06:06 PM
I may be misinterpreting your question, but here goes.
While i do want to dress as and present as a woman, i sure think it would be nice if we (the entire tg/cd community) could get women's clothing with some alterations. Not so much designed exactly for the male body, as we all differ somewhat, but cut just a little better for a man.
Like the shoulder and arm area especially, and perhaps the hip and butt too, although for one like me i will always need some padding to better fill out thses garments.

Conversely, i think even non-cds could really come to like their clothing if it were made with similar soft fabrics as women's clothing. I keep and wear some male briefs on ocassion, and why, oh why can't they be made with the same soft cotton or multi-fabrics. Same with jeans, ever notice the denim in your typical male jeans are heavier than women's, fine if their meant for work clothes, but not for leisure wear.

As for your description, not sure it'll ever happen, in fact, the altered clothing i mentioned will never be found either. But, i do hope that someday there will be a crossover of fabric choices for men's wear.
Hope that all is somewhere in the spirit of your question.
mj (Cassie)

SusieK
09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
I guess it depends on what your goal is. Based on your description I'm assuming you have no interest in being in the closet with your clothing adventures. If you are hoping for a masculine look, then there are certainly options, but I think you would need to think about ensembles that work, rather than just throwing anything on. The two looks that I can think of that go with male hairy legs are indian/hippy/surfer dude look of varying length lunghi wrap/skirt with flip-flops/sandals, or the fairly plain styled knee length skirt with chunky biker boots.

Personally I like the guy in a skirt look for myself, and it is the main (only?) CDing option that I use at home at the moment (also less likely to freak out the rest of the family). However, my aim is a feminine look, without looking ridiculous (IMO). So for example I have smooth legs and wear sheer stockings, ladies flat court shoes and a denim mini skirt. So I look approximately female from the waist down, and like a middle aged balding guy from the waist up (Hmmm! charming image :D- I'm sure it looks slightly better than it sounds - find my picture post if you want)

Anyway, I'm guessing that's not the look you're aiming for.

As mentioned, I think the problem with the masculine look is the limited combos that work. There are very few skirt styles that would work with hairy legs, and the clash of skirt with guy shoes and socks certainly looks wrong to me when I've tried and looked in the mirror (I was vaguely considering if there was a look I could use at work, and that wasn't it!:doh:). With smooth lightly tanned legs, I think a shortish skirt with running shoes/trainers and no socks/trainer socks could work. Again, the combo could be more feminine than you're after though.

You could consider checking out posts by JiveTurkeyOnRye (hope you don't mind the plug) on this site for a stylish take on dude-in-a-skirt :thumbsup:.

Susie