PDA

View Full Version : My first week full time

Victoria Anne
09-27-2010, 10:49 AM
I will keep this as brief as possible .

On my birthday , Sept 18Th , shopping , dinner party (previous post) all went swimmingly then came the first day of work . All you professional drivers will appreciate this.

As I went to make my first pick up I went to the shipping office with some trepidation but held my head up high shoulders back , smiled as a driver held the door open for me , was greeted as mam . So far so good , then came the idiot " excuse me miss did you read the sign and press the buzzer ?" It was only a bold sign in front of my face , of course I responded yes thank you , It makes me feel badly if I ever did that to women , it is a pain being treated like an idiot , my sister simply said "welcome to my world".

I have had more drivers talk to me in the last week than in the last 2 years , I have even been hit on a couple of times ! well now here I am in Laredo Texas at one of our ancillary terminals and though a bit nervous I did okay , the real test will be the main terminal in Joplin Missouri later in the week ( I have to go in for an awards interview for the paper and to the photographer for the same reason ) I will also be having a meeting with my fleet manager and the safety dept , no pressure to look my best , yea right.

At the truck stops , I Have been met with warm smiles and friendly salutations , doors held open , drivers waiting on me ! The only look I received was one morning going in my shower , I needed a shave .

Thus far I could not ask for it to go any better , this thing called work that I was so afraid of has turned out to be a complete non-issue , all my fears of customers unfounded . So I urge any of you thinking of coming out to pack away your fears and put on your big girl panties and go forth , live your life to its fullest . I know it is not for everyone but wow , what can I say , it is wonderful to be free of the burdens of deceit , the continual fear of discovery .

I see the main terminal this week as one on my last big hurdles and to be honest I am growing less concerned with every day that passes , life is good. Now if I can just get my voice to co-operate I would have it made.

Good luck to all of you ladies and gentlemen thinking about coming out , you have my support and best wishes for success.

ArleneRaquel
09-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Victoria Anne,
I'm so happy that your new life is going well, I'll be pulling for you.

Persephone
09-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Oh wow, Victoria Anne! It sounds like you are doing great! Just hang in there regardless of how the world comes at ya, big girl panties and all! :)

Big Hugs,
Persephone.

SherriePall
09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Good for you. Hope all continues to go well. Best of everything.

Traci Elizabeth
09-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I am so very happy for you. Isn't amazing how one good day begets another and that each day becomes easier and easier and we ask ourselves why we waited so long and what were we so scared of"

Maryanne_sa
09-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Thank you for your post Victoria-Anne. It has given me some encouragement, as I am going full time on Monday 4th October, and I do confess to being somewhat nervous about it.

I do have the full support of my manager, who I obviously had to talk to about this, and I have a good friend in the office who has also been a huge encouragement to me. She has known about me for ages, and is totally accepting. I am on leave for two weeks, and during this time, my manager will be telling the rest of the staff about what is to happen. ( Wish I could be a fly on the wall to hear all this)

Anyway, I am glad for you that things are going smoothly,

Take care,

Maryanne

Eileen
09-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Great news Victoria Anne! Your words of encouragement with be a big help to many, about to follow in your path.

Eileen

My Lady Marsea
09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Ha! I like told you so girlfriend lol. I'm really proud of you...you rock. Act like you're the CEO of your own life and good things happen.

Faith_G
09-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I told you it would be great! :) I said it in the other thread too, but I am proud of you.

The voice gets easier because you don't have to keep switching back. Mine has improved a LOT (I get "ma'am on the phone most times now!) since I've gone full time, and I haven't even been consciously working on it. Keep working on it, as a driver you have the opportunity for a lot of alone time to practice. I used to read all the road signs aloud in girl voice - I started sounding like a GPS unit. :heehee: