PDA

View Full Version : The importance of being able to share.

Ashley Williams
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Did I jump, or was I pushed? (Apologies in advance for the length of this post!)

Sometimes it is difficult, when so much happens in a short space of time, to recall even a recent chain of events, yet the passage of years can often lend clarity.

A little over 3 years ago I joined this forum, amazed and in awe at the riches so easily accessible. Others' experience and the advice available through the different threads were a gold mine where years previously there had been barren rock.

I was sorely in need of that advice and shared experience to see my situation as more hopeful than the despair I then felt. Having been in 'purge' for about 10 years, my need to dress (almost exclusively underwear) had suddenly returned like a train out of the night.

Problem was, I was then on holiday with my wife of 8 years. I had told her, shortly after we met, about the role dressing had played in my life up until 2 years previously. I hoped, and she certainly believed, that this was the last we would hear of it.

The holiday was ruined. I was tense, anxious and uncertain. She was mystified. We had always had wonderful holidays. She knew that she was not on best form herself, having recently entered an early and powerfully disruptive menopause, but she could tell that there was more to it than that.

Thanks to this forum, I realised

a) I was not alone
b) My needs, now back and re-expressed, were very unlikely to go away again
c) That I had to tell my wife.

Other forums and information sources confirmed this in my mind.

You can probably imagine my dilemma.

Well – the resultant depression I dropped into took me, via my General Practitioner, back into counselling where I thought a resolution might be found.

Instead, the attitudes had changed so much since my last need for such services that his conclusion verged on the opinion that it wasn't really such a big deal! Certainly nothing to be depressed about – people are evolving all the time, he offered … imagine you were a golf fanatic – how would she feel then?

His lightness of tone did not really encourage me, and by December I could no longer keep silent. A few days before Christmas, I explained the reason for my by-now obvious distress. My timing might have been better, but the result would probably have been the same.

Our world imploded in the space of one sentence.

I offered reading material; I offered to go to see someone with her, but what she really wanted was an explanation – and that was precisely what I could not provide.

She claimed that all the opinions and help I had obtained were subjective – so I wrote to the agony aunt of a National Newspaper. This was what she published.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/feb/17/familyandrelationships

(Not long after I joined the forum I posted this link – but many newcomers to the site may find it informative or helpful. However, for copyright reasons it may not be viewable by users in the US and Canada. If this is the case and you would like me to send you the text, PM me and I would be happy to do so.)

The essence of the advice was give your wife time, but be prepared to make a difficult choice at some point down the line.

On 25th July, a few days before my 55th birthday, that point was reached when I left my home and my wife at her request.

By one of those ironies that people wouldn't believe if it was in a novel, I have returned to the place where we spent that holiday from hell, as it is ours to use any time between March and December and a sensible temporary refuge.

So here I am. A new life to be forged, many decisions to work through and 3 + years of pain and uncertainty to redeem.

I have made a rapid start, recently spending my first full day out in London, (wearing the dress in my Profile Picture). I got there and back by train, underground and on foot.

I have tied up again with a network of valuable friends made in the area during a work contract that involved using here and a room in Norwich as a weekday base.

I have even changed my legal name, although I have had to opt for one that could be either gender as I am far from the point of being able to work full-time in female mode.

The question is, did I initiate the break-up by being unable to stop that train, or was I pushed onto the proverbial tracks by the social challenge of who I am?

I will never know - probably – but I do know this. Without forums such as crossdressers.com I might have ended up in front of a real train!

Thank you.

SherriePall
09-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Ashley -- That newspaper columnist was very insightful and thorough I think. You do have my condolences on the break-up of your marriage -- no matter whose fault it was. I wish the best of everything as you now explore more fully who you are.

JulieC
09-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you for sharing that! It's sad that your wife chose the path she has, but in the end it will probably be better for her and you.

Even though I lived it, I can't imagine a world without the crossdressing support provided by the Internet. I wonder how many sisters before the Internet did end up in front of a train, or rather under one.

Tracy X Cruz
09-28-2010, 12:31 PM
I am sorry you had to make such decisions and choices. It is not easy but being yourself is the only way to reach happiness. I denied who I was for far too long and suffered for it. I can not go to that link, but I would like to read if you don't mind sending me the text.

Cassandra Lynn
09-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Thank you very much for your share Ashley, posts like yours should be required reading for those in relationships.
Frankly, IMHO, you were pushed onto the tracks, and sadly it often comes down to "should i stay or should i go" decisions. Sadly, as well, many here put on the ole' rose colored glasses, and think being out is the be all and end all, even if it means being shoved into the "out of sight, out of mind" closet. If that is the path to true happiness for some then, good for them, but true happiness can sometimes mean losing the ones you care most for, or losing your own self in the trade.

At any rate, i wish you healing and peace, may your days be blessed.

Thank God these foums exist now, at least i have gained from them this past year. And now the younger generation has a place to find solace!

mj (Cassie)

tricia_uktv
09-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Ashley, I feel for you. But it seems to me you only have two choices. Go back to your wife on her terms or live the life you've dreamed of. The only alternative I can think of, which worked for a while with me, is to agree to do all the crossdressing away from her and arrange some time when that can happen on a regular basis. I doubt though whever that will be accepted. I don't think you should feel blame or guilt. What has happened was almost certainly going to. You don't mention if you have any children but I assume not.

I feel you should not look back but embrace your new life and enjoy it. That is what I have decided to do and I am loving it to death.

If I am down South I'll send you a PM, if you can get up to Manchester send me one. We seem to very close in our chosen paths and I think it would be good for both us to talk.

Hugs Trish xx

sterling12
09-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I think you tried. I think you did what you had to do. I think you will make a new life, and I think it will be a happier one. Give yourself time to heal, time to figure out what you want out of life. DO NOT jump back into another relationship. Learn a lot more about yourself!

A word of Caution(?) I have a Friend with a very similar story, The only difference was that it went on for years. She couldn't handle his Transgendered Ways, didn't want to know about his joining a Support group, didn't want to EVER see him dressed, and wanted nothing to do with his CD Friends. One day, she announces that "She's had enough!" Marcie is devastated, but goes through Counseling, gets help, and finally, moves on. Guess What? Wife is now back in her Life, hangs out with her in The Clubs, chats up The Gurls, and now appears to be accepting. BUT, I don't think they will re-marry. It appears that they make very good friends, but not such good Marriage Partners.

This could happen with your relationship. You had very good times together, and she is going to find out that there is a lot of Garbage floating around out there in The Singles Pool. If I were you, I would think, and decide now, what your going to do if The Situation arises. Trust me, a lot stranger things have happened.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Ashley Williams
09-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Sadly, as well, many here put on the ole' rose colored glasses, and think being out is the be all and end all ...

Thank God these forums exist now, at least I have gained from them this past year. And now the younger generation has a place to find solace!
mj(Cassie)

I couldn't agree more. Problem with rose coloured glasses is they distort not only the individual's position, but the advice they give. If I could revisit every one who, 3 years ago, said – 'Go for it girl, it is your right to be who you are, regardless of the cost' – I wonder how many would now be in my position? Also, the attitudes to clothes, at least, seem much more flexible now – and those Trans people I have met who are in their teens and twenties do appear to carry around a lot less baggage than I had at their age (sigh!) Was it ever thus?!

Hi Ashley, I feel for you. But it seems to me you only have two choices. Go back to your wife on her terms or live the life you've dreamed of.

Hugs Trish xx

I don't have any choice! I have moved so far away from the point at which I left that there is no going back now!

I think you tried. I think you did what you had to do. I think you will make a new life, and I think it will be a happier one. Give yourself time to heal, time to figure out what you want out of life. DO NOT jump back into another relationship. Learn a lot more about yourself!Joanie

There is so much to learn and the time I have left is a fraction of what it might have been if I hadn't been so desperate to conform before or, presumably, such a good actor!

Gloves off, masks off – what you see is what you get!!

xxx

Amanda22
09-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Oh, Ashley, I really feel for you. You have my sympathy for the loss of your marriage. I went through divorce years ago, not of my choosing, mind you. My spouse just fell out of love for me (not CD-related). It is truly a hell you enter, but you also exit it.

I understand what the columnist in the National Newspaper meant, but the key to this is that crossdressing is most certainly not a hobby like rock collecting or golfing! It is a need originating from your core. You had/have no choice to CD or not CD. So to answer your question, I think you were "pushed" onto the tracks by society. It was going to happen sooner or later, so better to be sooner. You must believe that your new life will be a better life; one in which you honor your authentic self.

Be good to yourself and continue to look forward.

tricia_uktv
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Gloves off, masks off – what you see is what you get!!

So go give it and, above all, have fun!!!!!

Hugs, Trish xx

Nikki A.
09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Ashley I can relate and I might have been on the same road if my wife had not passed away. While I haven't gone as far as you have I have also spread "my wings so to speak and allowed Nikki to have her time in the sun also. I hope that you find the peace & happiness that you are seeking.

MichelleL
09-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Ashley,

Thanks for sharing the pain. I have no advice for you other than to keep communicating with those who care about you - and that includes all of us here (I think I can speak for everyone on this). Don't hesitate to reach out to others. I truly feel your pain and you have my sympathy and support to help get through it.

Michelle

Lucy_Bella
09-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Ashley,
Thanks for this thread, as you may know many of us CDer's have had the same happen to us. What really struck me in your thread and I found very interesting, was how you touched on your wifes ability to not accept your dressing urges.

I find it interesting in part due to maybe some of the relationship was already in termoil? I am just guessing . But what most struck me was how you mentioned the way you acted once the urges re appeared. Did you act that way because you knew that your wife was going to reject your urges or was it because you where nervous about approaching her with your desires?

I know how that is and it takes a lot emotinally to approach someone with these secrets or desires, I notice with myself that I got moody with my wife unknowly over my urges that let to fights over simple things all because how I acted that I later tied to the emotinal stress of not dressing.. She knew of my urges long before we wed but we rarley talked about them .

I am just curious if the relationship was rocky before or did it lead up to before you telling your wife.

Thanks and sorry about your mis fortune.

AKAMichelle
09-28-2010, 09:47 PM
It is very hard to deal with the consequences of hiding a deceiving a spouse and then finally coming clean. Many times we find that they can't accept this about us and the marriage ends.

It is a big world out there with lots of opportunities. Hopefully you new live will end being fuller and happier than the one you left.

Sarah Doepner
09-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm so very sorry to read of the breakdown of your marriage. Although I believe in the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished." I still remain a hopeful Pollyanna. I was fortunate when my wife became privy to my former secret and she accepted me for who I am, not what I wear. If she had asked me to leave, I doubt that even having a chance to share my distress would have allowed me to respond as you have. You are very strong and deserve all the respect in the world. Best of luck to you.

Patty B.
09-29-2010, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the article its well written, one to save. I wonder if my wife a I are going down the same path. I truely hope not although 28 years of deception, wasn't cd'ing prior to dating my wife, and also thought it would go away being married and never return. Well any way dont know how this will turn out, my wife says she doesn't want to give up on our marriage, so time will tell.

Ashley Williams
09-29-2010, 03:53 AM
dont know how this will turn out, my wife says she doesn't want to give up on our marriage, so time will tell.

I sincerely hope you can make it work - being alone, no matter how much freedom you have, is certainly not for everyone - and despite her insistence that she had in effect no choice, my wife did not want to be left on her own either and it is a way to play the guilt card with me still!

You are, either or both of you, welcome to PM me if you would like to know more. I have, since I have left my wife, also met couples who are managing - but it is a huge challenge. Anything I can do to make that easier would be my greatest pleasure. If you would prefer to communicate by email, also pm me. xxx

Ashley Williams
09-29-2010, 04:07 AM
Ashley,
I find it interesting in part due to maybe some of the relationship was already in termoil? I am just guessing . But what most struck me was how you mentioned the way you acted once the urges re appeared. Did you act that way because you knew that your wife was going to reject your urges or was it because you where nervous about approaching her with your desires?

I suspect that most relationships have an 'Achilles Heel'. In our case, working in a joint business for the two years prior to the return of my needs was almost certainly a significant 'weakener' in that it left us with no solitary space. I already mentioned her hormonal issues.

I never asked my wife to be involved in my needs/desires, only to tolerate them.

So - vulnerable? Certainly. Rocky? Not sure. As Mariella said, if you can use something to give an advantage, then a relationship might develop, let alone survive, but I suspect that it will either flourish as a result, or suffer. I don't think it can ever be the same.

Shari
09-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Ashley, my sympathies to your plight. It took a lot of courage to do what you did. It's a shame the results weren'e what you sought.

The answer you received in your letter to the paper said it best. It's great to be honest, but honesty alone doesn't always create the desired result.

What we do and who we are is one thing.
Allowing others to know (especially our SO's) is a dice roll at best.
Once out, the words cannot be taken back.

And we go on.