PDA

View Full Version : High school strips transgender teen of homecoming king title

Kieron Andrew
09-28-2010, 08:26 PM
I know this is a media article but i thought it would be okay here

http://www.afterellen.com/people/2010/09/school-strips-transgender-teen-of-homecoming-king-title

Kelly Greene
09-28-2010, 09:05 PM
The school should have not done that it is just wrong.

Ze
09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
An absolute crock.

Faith_G
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
The school sucks but it sounds like the students are great!

tanyalynn51
09-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for posting this. It is a load of crap. An A+ though, for the seniors who have stood up for him.

giuseppina
09-28-2010, 09:45 PM
The school administration lost a teachable moment and likely a lot of respect from the students over this matter. :brolleyes:

7sisters
09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Oh dear, poor poor child. His parents must be so upset. I agree with Giuseppina.
You know we all here on this forum, live, breathe TS issues. But I also understand the school's confusion. They're not living trans every moment of the day, like we are. They did not understand the implications of their actions and I think someone over there stuck to the rule book a little too much. I am sure they wont do it next time. I'm delighted that the students have stood up for the boy. I'm overall glad there is a hue and cry over this. Because its the only way society will make progress.

alyssaenglefield
09-29-2010, 03:36 AM
That is about the most blatant piece of discrimination I have heard! It's basic human rights that you can't be discriminated on grounds of sex or gender identity.

He should complain to the Human Rights Commission (or whatever it is called in the States), and let them deal with it!

Loni
09-29-2010, 04:28 AM
all the discrimination aside. what this school amd has done is so wrong. the students voted for someone and now the adm says your voice does not count.
that would be like obama saying your vote does not count and he is still keeping the oval office for himself.
this reaks of tearing down the whole fabric of what make's this country so great.
and as for whether he is a she or she is a he...so what, is there a by law or even a state law saying a homecoming king must be male? or a home coming queen should be a girl?
the school adm needs to get there heads out of what ever pit they are in and look around.
i do not like the criminals of the aclu...but maybe they need to get some media time here.

Ze
09-29-2010, 06:03 AM
But Loni, he IS a male; that's the whole point. The "problem" is he wasn't born with stereotyped parts of a man.

TxKimberly
09-29-2010, 08:11 AM
What is neat about this story is the way the studants stood up for him and continue to stand by him. Transgender doesn't seem to bother kids these days, it's just the old farts that seem to be unable to wrap their minds around it.

AKAMichelle
09-29-2010, 08:31 AM
I hope he gets the crown back, but even if the school prevails here he already won. He will always be remembered as the Homecoming King for years to come.

Billijo49504
09-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I live in the next large city east of Muskegon Michigan. And yesterday we learned that the ACLU is now involved. I hope when they get done, it won't be Mona Shores, but moaning shore. By the way, his parents are very supportive and he is planning a sex change operation, as soon as he is 18. This information was from the local LGBT center president. And Kimberly, at 63 yrs old, I am an old fart:tongueout. I just couldn't let that one slide...:hugs:...Billijo

Tima
09-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Transgender doesn't seem to bother kids these days, it's just the old farts that seem to be unable to wrap their minds around it.

I can say without fear of contradiction that the kids have no problem with transgender these days, although it is rarely this visible or popular. How would a girl who is a boy (by the old farts’ definition) fare in this situation? What gets me is that they used a technicality to completely sidestep the issue. Someone is just passing the buck and not learning anything.

7sisters
09-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Indeed as AKAMichelle says, he is the Homecoming King of the year.

nikkijo
09-29-2010, 10:03 AM
male, female, hell he could be purple.. obviously the kid is popular because homecomming king/queen is about the biggest popularity contest in the school... the admin could have learned something... but yet they didnt.. shame on them, having been involved in a vote for home comming i can tell you the excitement of being nominated, and then tthe heartbreak of flosing so i cant imagine what its like being stripped.... and my classes king/queen are now married and been so for 10 years, so obviously we as a student body didnt do to badly...

AnonyMouse
09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
The school officials suck, but I can't help getting the warm fuzzies when I read about the support from his senior class. Those people are the leaders of tomorrow. The stuck-up fogies who stripped his title are on the way out. :tongueout

MiraM
09-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Young people these days are more accepting of Transgendered people it seems. I believe it was last year that the students at William and Mary elected a TG Homecoming Queen.

docrobbysherry
09-29-2010, 07:38 PM
I should say, he WAS cheated!

Kieron Andrew
09-29-2010, 08:07 PM
She cheated by NOT saying she was a female! :eek:

About the only SURE way to tell males from females these days, is by looking down their shorts! And, THAT'S NOT going to happen in schools or churches!:o

Unless the school has a rule forbidding males for running for traditionally female posts, and visa verse, all she had to do was announce she was a female! My guess is, they don't and she didn't!:brolleyes:

Instead of looking at the negative in this story, look at the POSITIVE!:)

The NEXT time a gender blender runs for a student post usually occupied by the OTHER(?) gender, they'll annouce what their true gender is! And then, the school admins. should be UNABLE to undo the student's vote!:devil:
shes NOT female though, he is pre transitioned FtM!!, you have been on this forum long enough to know to NOT make post like these aimed at FtMs especially in our section!!

AnonyMouse
09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, docrobbysherry. "She" didn't cheat. He is a FTM transgendered person who should have no obligation to reveal his birth sex. There's nothing positive about future contestants possibly being forced to do so.

Ze
09-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Doc, shut the hell up. You've been here long enough to know what're insulting language and notions to the FtM community and what aren't. If you spout blatantly insulting shit like this again in the FtM sections, I will personally make sure you lose access to them. Based on such behavior, you're either one of the meanest people I've ever met, or one of the dumbest. Take your pick.

Absolute shame on you.

Kathryn Martin
09-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Doc:

You really missed the point. He was known to be a man and accepted as such by the school community and administration. When he was nominated to go on the ballot the administration knew. This is why there such an outrage about this. He did not cheat in any way shape or form.

Unfortunately in your post you got every pronoun wrong, and that is not only inappropriate but also an insult for those that are the main members of this board.

It's sad and speaks of lack of respect.

Kathryn

Faith_G
09-29-2010, 09:20 PM
I can't believe I read that here. :sad:

docrobbysherry
09-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Doc, shut the hell up. You've been here long enough to know what're insulting language and notions to the FtM community and what aren't. If you spout blatantly insulting shit like this again in the FtM sections, I will personally make sure you lose access to them. Based on such behavior, you're either one of the meanest people I've ever met, or one of the dumbest. Take your pick.

Absolute shame on you.

I believe it's OBVIOUS, Ze! "One of my stupidest", and tasteless posts EVER!! Without question! I think, " Dumb", let's me off too easy!
There r SOME THINGS that shouldn't be joked about! That's MY OWN rule, and I broke it! Sorry to U ALL!

I promise NOT to post here again while embibing!

Ze
09-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Yeah, who knew disregard of pronouns on this site was too touchy a subject to joke about. :straightface: I refuse to turn this into a fight, but I want it clear that your excuses are not sufficient. The only positive I'm hoping is that you've gotten a big wake-up call and will alter your mindset and mouth filter in the future.

And with that, everybody is going back on topic or risks post deletion. Thanks to those that were supportive in any and all arenas.

patti.jean
10-06-2010, 06:34 AM
I have added a link for a great follow up story to this in the local press.

MONA SHORES — A transgender student at the center of a homecoming king controversy praises Mona Shores schools in a letter posted online.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2010/10/transgender_student_has_kind_w.html

This story makes me very proud of him. He is very appreciative of the accommodations the school has made for him and asks that the momentum gained by the controversy move toward a push for rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students and “away from the homecoming situation.”

Patti

Ze
10-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah, good for him. He's trying to make the best out of a bad situation for the most people possible. He also sounds like he's trying to keep in mind the positive things as opposed to the negative.