PDA

View Full Version : Outed by a courier package!

alyssaenglefield
09-29-2010, 10:45 PM
A little slip-up with a courier package, and I accidentally outed myself to my Biology tutorial group.

This morning, I checked the mail as usual. Turns out a courier had called and left me a collection card because the dorm was locked (it is permanently - you have to remember your keys or to prop the door open, or you will be outed to your flatmates!)

So, on my way to class, I stopped by the courier depot, behind the railway station, to collect the parcels - a hair bow and a pair of breast forms. Off to class, with a swing by McD's to grab some lunch.

While waiting for class to start, I opened the packages to check their contents. Unfortunately the box with the breast forms were too big to fit in my bag, so I re-closed it and sat it on my desk. I went to get up to grab a worksheet, and accidentally pushed the box off the table, and the breast forms fell out.

My tutor, Lisa, asked me what they were for. Unfortunately, I had to admit they were for me for Halloween, and i was cross-dressing. The class went up in laughter over the fact I was a cross-dresser, but they were really supportive at the same time. It took five minutes for the class to settle down.

A little accident like that is nothing - it's not a deterrent. They even asked me if I could cross-dress for exams and disturb the other students into failing! I had to kindly say no, because a) I'm not that cruel and b) i'll need to be in drab as the will be checking student ID's.

GaleWarning
09-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Alyssa, I am not surprised that your class took the incident in it's stride.
My experience of NZ students is that they tend to be very open-minded.
Your decision is probably correct, though ... the Ministry of Education is very closed-minded.
:straightface:

Nick2Nikki
09-30-2010, 12:15 AM
That's hilarious Alyssa! I'll bet you had a really intense moment of panic there--but it sounds like you handled it really well. That's nice that your study group supports you, though I'm not surprised; university students can be surprisingly open to different ideas.

alyssaenglefield
09-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Most of the students understand - in fact, the student's association has it's own queer rep, although that position will be integrated into the Welfare Officer postion with next year's executive reorganisation, and this week's student magazine was all on LGBT issues, although I'm not happy they took the gender identity issue one-sided - i've got to write a LTTE and send it off tonight if I'm to make Monday's magazine.

Not to mention what you see at 1am on a Sunday morning at the 24hr convenience store near the University. But they're so inebriated and h888y that most guys will do anything - even running down the main street in a sexy policewoman's uniform, and then getting a free ride from a real policewoman to the nearest cop shop and the cells!

EDIT: Too late - the deadline for LTTE's is Tuesday at 5pm - it'll have to be the issue after that (w/c 11 October).

7sisters
09-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Haloween keeps coming to everyone's rescue. LOL. You know even if kids can be cruel, they are also amazingly supportive.

Teri Jean
09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Now the outting to the class had to be embarrising but there is the style you handled it and that goes into the 9.5 scoring. Nice job.

Sarah Michelle
09-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for striking fear in my heart. I just ordered new forms yesterday and instead of going through the usual hassle of having them delivered to a thrid party address, I just put in my home address and bet on being the one to check the mail. Do you know Murphy, are you studying law?

alyssaenglefield
09-30-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm studying for a BSc, and no I don't know a Murphy.

I've always had everything sent to my real address under my real name (i'm usually the only one to check the letterbox) - the only time I used Alyssa as the recipient, i had a little trouble and had to say that she got me to pick it up for her.

AKAMichelle
09-30-2010, 06:13 PM
One small step and you are out. Now you will enjoy the freedom of being yourself. Maybe after halloween you can dress whenever you want.

Kim_Bitzflick
09-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Interesting of how you handled it. Good for you. I'm not sure I would have handled it that well.

On the bright side, the class will expect you to dress up for halloween.

alyssaenglefield
09-30-2010, 08:24 PM
The only problem is my course finishes for the year with my final exam on Saturday 30th - and after Halloween Weekend, it's most likely back home and back in the closet until mid-February, when I return to Dunedin.

Hopefully I can get a pre-Christmas temp job here in Dunedin (there are not many opportunities back home), but then comes the problem that my lease expires on Sunday 28 November and have no place to live after that.

Saren
09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm studying for a BSc, and no I don't know a Murphy.

I've always had everything sent to my real address under my real name (i'm usually the only one to check the letterbox) - the only time I used Alyssa as the recipient, i had a little trouble and had to say that she got me to pick it up for her.

Ok, two things, one, that is a tough situation, and you handled it well...and two, what Sarah ment by that was Murphy's Law- "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

alyssaenglefield
09-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Ok, two things, one, that is a tough situation, and you handled it well...and two, what Sarah ment by that was Murphy's Law- "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

*facepalm* - I didn't get the metaphor!

As for anything that can go wrong, will go wrong - very true. The taxi will be late, you will miss your exam, and those money-grabbing Australian exam setters who cant point to Dunedin let alone New Zealand on a map wont refund you your $250 exam fee!

Chickhe
09-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Great story! I beleive before being bold or careless you need to prepare yourself to be out to the world. That way when a situation comes up, you can laugh with everyone and not feel shame. Halloween is great cover, if it exists...from what I understand there is a 'mischief day' in November instead? I think at university a lot of students would think it is cool...depending on the faculty.

alyssaenglefield
10-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Most of the staff at the university are generally supportive of students having a bit of fun to break from the serious nature of study, as long as it is not alcohol-fuelled, which unfortunately most of it is. And unfortunately, its the alcohol fuelled fun that gets us in the media - last year we had the Toga Parade go out of control and basically trash George Street (Dunedin's main street), and the Undie 500 "pub crawl" from Christchurch which resulted in a student vs police in riot gear battle on Castle Street.

The Capping Show (the student revue show held annually in May) is always good fun, if not a little R16. It even features crossdressing in the form of the Selwyn Ballet - guys from the Selwyn College residential hall basically put on tutus and make-up and prance around the stage for five minutes. What's even more hilarious is the fact that our Deputy Prime Minister Bill English was once one of those guys!

(the video of this years ballet is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylTcFsY7_5M.)

alyssaenglefield
10-01-2010, 10:29 PM
The only problem is my course finishes for the year with my final exam on Saturday 30th - and after Halloween Weekend, it's most likely back home and back in the closet until mid-February, when I return to Dunedin.

Hopefully I can get a pre-Christmas temp job here in Dunedin (there are not many opportunities back home), but then comes the problem that my lease expires on Sunday 28 November and have no place to live after that.

Someone has answered my prayers - I may have to stay in Dunedin until the beginning of December.
This came in the letter box this morning from the Ministry of Justice:

"Dear [Miss Englefield],
You are hereby summoned for jury service for the week commencing 15 November 2010 at the Dunedin District/High Court... one of the trials may take up to three weeks..."

My mum was shocked at how I was selected for jury service at 19 when she's never been selected at 41!

eluuzion
10-02-2010, 04:13 AM
If you "dress up" when you attend the preliminary screening interviews for jury selection, you will be "outta there" in a heartbeat, as far as that obligation goes.:D

Then again, assuming the part of whatever one of the litigation teams is looking for to bolster their "side", will insure your stay will be "extended". Plus you will be knocking down all that money for doing your civic "duty". I think is something like $0.30/hr when you run the math...hehehe

It will give you the opportunity to understand just how little "justice" and "fairness" have to do with the legal system. Quite an eye-opener when you experience it in person for the first time.

Have Fun!

:love:

Jorja
10-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Ok, so you outted yourself to the class. Look at the bright side, they all know and will not be shocked when they see you out and about now.

Now Go Have Fun!

alyssaenglefield
10-02-2010, 09:09 AM
My class is only 34 people, including me - it's the other 21,966 university students that you worry about.

But then, who cares. - 99% of those are going to be so drunk they'll think they're hallucinating.