PDA

View Full Version : Body hair removal

Modesty Blaise
09-05-2005, 06:20 AM
Dear All
I have body hair of a density and corseness similar to that displayed by Sean Connery in his Bond years! How can I get rid of it easily? Shaving works fine, once, before it becomes uncomfortable and stubbly, usually within a day. Not to mention the rate at which it destroys razor blades. Veet type mouse does indeed do what the adverts say and does last up to twice as long as shaving, but 36 hours over 18 is not much of an improvement! Waxing you say? I can put up with the discomfort but almost all the hair seems to return within a few days and this time below the top layer of skin requiring fearsome exfoliation to get to, to begin the quandry all over again. Maybe I need professional waxing? Is there any other alternative? Indeed is there anything that inhibits the hair growth in the first place?
I look forward to hearing from you
Modesty

Clare
09-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Maybe I need professional waxing? Is there any other alternative? Indeed is there anything that inhibits the hair growth in the first place?
Modesty
I wish! Whoever invents an effective hair retardant will own the world - for both GG's and men who want to be smooth.

For me, professional waxing is the only way i can stay smooth for an extended period of time - say up to four weeks. The cost can add up over time, but that's an occupational hazard of vanity i suppose.

If nothing works or is satisfactory, give waxing a go and see if you like the results.

Christine

Tristen Cox
09-05-2005, 08:54 AM
There's plenty of information around if you look for it here:
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/search.php?
Also there is a beauty club just at the top of this section with more info.

Modesty Blaise
09-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the advice,I'll just have to save up for something permanent like electrolisis/laser hair removal!

Jamie M
09-09-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm much like you in that my hair is very caorse and any attempt at shaving is rewarded by an ugly rash a few days later. the only thing that seems to work for me is eplilation.

Rachel_740
09-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Waxing you say? I can put up with the discomfort

You're a better person than me then. I have my legs waxed regularly, but when I first started going for waxing I thought I'd get brave and I had my back waxed :eek: . NEVER AGAIN! That's all I can say there.

I've found that now I'm taking both anti-androgens (male hormone blockers) and estrogen my body hair growth has reduced very dramatically. Also, with the regular leg waxing I have - and I've started epilating between waxes - my legs hair problem is almost gone. I can still go to my waxing session with bare legs now and you can't see the hairs unless you look for them. The waxing has reduced hair growth and what does grow back is finer, more feminine (not that I'm suggesting hairy legs are feminine).

Anne

cd_becca
09-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Much like yourself, I have thick black body hair if I let it grow. I've found a very good salon that I can get waxed at. There is no need to tell them why, although the girl I go to knows I dress. That way she knows what I'm looking for. She now waxes my brows, tints them too. Waxes my legs, chest, back, arms, etc..etc.. It will cost a bit of money at first, but soon the hair slows its growth and comes in slightly finer and fairer each time.

It can be very painful though, esp chest hair. Take a few pain killers about half an hour before going.

You will never look back after getting it done!

Priscilla1018
09-09-2005, 03:16 PM
There is always the "Forest Fire Method" but, this could be hazardous to your health. :eek:

Tristen Cox
09-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Or a weed wacker right Chrissie and Wendy? :rolleyes:

susandrea
09-09-2005, 03:53 PM
AND HAIR-FREE ... LONGER

Hair-minimizing lotions have been around for about two years (with different versions rolling out each year), but do you really know what they can and can't do? Read on to separate fact from fiction.

FICTION These lotions stop hair from growing back after you've shaved or waxed.

FACT Hair-minimizing products don't permanently stop hair from growing back; they make hair less noticeable so you'll have to shave or wax about half as often.

FICTION There's no proof these creams work.

FACT Manufacturer studies (one has been published in the journal Experimental Dermatology) have shown that the key ingredients do reduce the rate of hair growth and make hair softer, finer and less visible.

FICTION They contain chemicals that affect the density of hair.

FACT The key ingredients, burnet root and/or soy extract, come from natural sources. Look for soy in Aveeno Positively Smooth Moisturizing Lotion ($6; at drugstores). Curel Smooth Legs Shave Minimizing Moisturizer ($7; at drugstores) and Jergens Naturally Smooth Shave Minimizing Moisturizer ($5; at drugstore) contain both ingredients.

FICTION It takes months to see results.

FACT During the clinical trials of these products, most participants noticed a difference in their hair growth or began shaving less frequently after just two weeks of daily use, with full results noticeable after four weeks.

Here's the whole article, which I printed out for myself!:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_9_22/ai_100106678

Don't forget page 2.

JocelynG
09-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Unfortunately I don't have this type of problem so i can't give a solution. I know it is something we all have to deal with unless we get electrolysis done. I use a shave minimizing lotion and I have seen results. Good luck and use the resources the other girls gave you

Alayna
09-10-2005, 06:38 AM
When this topic comes up I always have something to say. I've spent countless hours on the web researching this topic. I have rampant, thick, black, hair all over my body. If it weren't for the lack of hair on my eyelids and forehead I'd think I was Jojo the dog-face boy! Susandrea is right about all those inhibitors - I've even come across a site that provides the histories, arrest-records, aliases, current scams, etc. of these products' creators.

My experiences:
shaving -
Miserable, masochistic pain during regrowth which takes about 4 hours to start getting noticable. But it doesn't matter too much cause I've never had a close shave.

Nair and the like -
smells awful, leaves a gummy mixture of hair and hair paste on my body. Regrowth takes about 4 hours to start getting noticable. To leave it on long enough to be effective would also mean burning my skin. I estimate twice the maximum allowed time the instructions say, but I've never tested this.

Waxing -
the strips are useless, but the stripless kind you heat in the microwave works ok. I have really bad problems with ingrown hairs and it tends to break a lot off under the skin. The regrowth again doesn't take very long - I get a week tops. I laugh when the package says up to 8 weeks of smooth skin. Oh and btw, it's a MYTH that the hair regrowth is finer (my experiences + internet resources)

Sugaring -
Useless. It'll pull out maybe 5% of the thicker, darker hair but that's it. That Nads stuff is one of those scams - wish I'd known that b4 I spent $30 on the kit.

Tweezing -
The only thing that keeps ingrown's to a minimum, but impractically time-consuming.

Mechanical epliators -
I use the Braun epi-silk. It works great on my legs, regrowth takes a couple weeks, it doesn't break too many hairs, and the only cost is the initial purchase and electricity. In fact, my legs below the knee look pretty good despite all the scars I've develped over the years from playing around outdoors;). The catch? It works well ONLY on my legs, and only if I use it completely the opposite way you're supposed to. It breaks hairs off my tummy and chest constantly and only really works on the tough "terminal" hairs - not on the light hard to see ones.

My conclusions? Of the research I've done every reputable source says the same thing: The only proven methods of permanent hair removal are electrolysis and Vaniqa (a prescrption cream). The cream has only been proven on female facial hair, and electrolysis is only proven when done by an experienced professional which costs $$$$$$. Yep, even laser is unproven to work, and can be very dangerous if done by someone inexperienced (many states don't require liscenses for laser and electrolysis FYI)

I'm trying electrolysis when I can afford it, starting with my damn bikini line! For now I'll limp along with my epilator, tweezers, and gallons of body scrub and lotion. I know my experiences are relatively extreme, but if you get any use out of them it should be an example of products really put to the test:rolleyes: I suppose I could just let it grow out again, but I tried that about 5 months ago. After about a month of regrowth I realized I just can't go back - I love being hairless, such as it is for me, and I'm willing to pony up the eventual $1000's of dollars a little at a time. If it takes 15 years, it takes 15 years.

Good luck Modesty, I feel your pain. I'd suggest an epilator for now unless you can afford (and want) permanant removal. Some key factors too - keep clean and practice good hygiene. Use body scrubs daily - I like Bath and Body Works aromatherapy sugar scrubs ($20/jar:eek::eek:). Use lots of moisturizer, preferably non-comedogenic, and drink lots of water to keep your skin elastic and soft.

DanaJ
09-10-2005, 06:57 AM
Alayna - great post!! Very informative and usefule....
I've even come across a site that provides the histories, arrest-records, aliases, current scams, etc. of these products' creators.Could you post that link for us here, as I am sure it will be useful to everyone - thanks!

DanaJ

cd_becca
09-10-2005, 07:17 AM
it's a MYTH that the hair regrowth is finer (my experiences + internet resources)

I disagree that its a myth. Perhaps you personally have not seen finer hair, but many of my friends and I myself have noticed hair growth is finer and fairer. Have you used a proffesional wax treatment in a salon? I would agree that the strips like Veet and so on are useless, but salon waxing is IMO fantastic.

Alayna
09-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Alayna - great post!! Very informative and usefule....Could you post that link for us here, as I am sure it will be useful to everyone - thanks!

DanaJ
No prob

http://www.hairfacts.com/scams.html (http://www.hairfacts.com/scams.html)

I'm glad it works for you becca - I guess it's just a myth in my family of silverbacks:rolleyes:. What I should have said is that it's not a given that it will work. Myth is too absolute - my bad