PDA

View Full Version : I really didn't expect this . . .

christiek
10-01-2010, 08:06 AM
As many of you know I have been homeless for a couple months now (hints me not being on here like at all). I have been sleeping in the back of my car or on couches when I can find someone to let me stay for a bit. I had talked to my grandmother last week about me staying with her for a little while until I could sell my car and leave town. I will be moving to Florida before the end of October. Unfortunately I am unable to do so because my grandfather has Parkinsons. She spends all her time taking care of him. He gets confused easily and has almost no concept of time anymore. The main reason I couldn't stay is that once it gets dark he gets antsy if anyone is still there and wants them to leave so he can settle in for the night. So my grandmother offered me $200 to rent a hotel room for a week.

I thought about it a little bit and decided that it would be better if I could find someone to pay the $200 to to let me stay for 2-3 weeks instead of spending it all on a single week at a hotel leaving me in the same predicament after the week was over with. Luckily 2 of my closest friends (couple) said that they could use the money and it would be ok for me to sleep in their basement. It's not the ideal place to stay but its much better than sleeping in the car and having to bathe in public restrooms.

I set a time and a place to meet my grandparents for lunch and to get the money from them. I arrived at the local Big Boy about 20 minutes early so I could maybe wash up a bit in the restroom before my grandparents got there. Needless to say it has been tricky since I still have to shave my face and such. I waited for the restroom to clear out before walking in. I grabbed my razor and baby oil and started shaving my face. I was trying to get finished before anyone walked in and saw me. I was half way finished when this lady walked in and went to one of the stalls. I was thinking "great someone saw me." When she walked out of the stall I noticed she was looking at me kinda odd so I spoke up. In my best female voice I politely said "I am sorry I am not trying to freak anyone out. I am homeless and I am meeting my family here and I have to clean up a little bit." I explained that I am (legally) female and showed her my license to prove it.

What happened next shocked me! The lady looked at me and said "don't worry about it honey! you don't need to explain yourself to anyone." She wished me good luck and walked out. I sighed in relief and continued shaving. About that time the door swung open again! It was the same lady! She went to hand me something but I couldn't see what it was. She said "It's not much but I hope it will help you out some!" She had handed me $30. I told her that I couldn't accept the money from her. So she decided to just shove it in my purse! Again I grabbed it handed it back to her and yet again told her that I couldn't accept it. She then threw it on the floor and said that she is leaving it there for me and that if I didn't take it she was sure someone else would. I leaned over and picked it up and said "Thank you so much!" Then she walked out.

I really just couldn't believe it! Not only did she not freak out but she was very sweet, understanding, and gave me money on top of it all! What a great experience. That alone has made these past couple months seem at least a little better. There are still some good people out there in this world. Even if it is hard to find them.

Melissa A.
10-01-2010, 08:17 AM
That there are people willing to show humanity, and that the world doesn't always have to be a mean and paranoid place is so heartwarming. I hope you find an end to your current situation, quickly.

Hugs,

Melissa:)

Kaitlyn Michele
10-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Christie

There are lots of good people in this world..i'm glad you experienced some of them!

AKAMichelle
10-01-2010, 01:50 PM
There are a lot of good people in this world and apparently you found one. Hopefully you can find a lot more so you can finish getting on your feet. Then it will be responsibilty one day to help someone else.

Good luck to you.

GaleWarning
10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
mel the assistance is out there in our country as well... to the tune of about 2500 a month, but some people have more pride than that and dont want to take money out of society or be a burdon to others by mooching off the welfare system. i know i COULD do exactially the same thing as the OP because i refuse to acknnologe the fact welfare exists. personally its a service of our government ill never use.

Niikijo, for how many years have you been working and paying taxes?
Like you, I was averse to becoming a "bludger" when I fell upon hard times.
Friends and family pointed out to me that I was merely claiming back for myself, taxes that I had paid for many years.
The important thing, and I stress this, is to make sure one does not stay on the benefit for any longer than one absolutely has to!

christiek, I deeply synpathize with you and your predicament.
Set aside your foolish pride for the moment and bless the system as you use it to get back on your feet.
May you soon be self-sufficient once more!

Tasha T
10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
As many of you know I have been homeless for a couple months now.

I'm sorry to hear that. I have been in your shoes a few times before and it's a horrible feeling. I'm glad you experienced the kindness of another human being while in your predicament. Some people actually do care and it makes a HUGE difference when you're down and out.

Faith_G
10-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for sharing that wonderful story, Christie. I'm praying you find a safe place to live soon. :hugs:

PretzelGirl
10-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I am with the rest Christie. Don't be ashamed to claim what is offered. But do take the opportunity to settle somewhere and get things on track. If you bounce around, sometimes you can find it hard to stop the bouncing and normalize your life. The best of luck to you!

Freddy12
10-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Christie,
What a wonderful experience. There are many wonderful people out there, and not all of them are transgendered!

christiek
10-02-2010, 11:45 AM
This wasn't meant to be a discussion on government or different countries. I was trying to show that even when things are at their worst there is some hope. There are still good people in the world even if it is hard to find them. Kinda reminds me of a song I haven't heard in years. Angels Among us by Alabama (from a time when country was still good).
"Oh I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
they come to you and me in our darkest hour
to show us how to live teach us how to give
to guide us with the light of love."

Maybe there really are angels among us. . .

Also I wanted to state that there are some other things I could do or look into as far as help. Theres shelters and food stamps, help with housing and even car repairs. In order for me to get any of that sort of help from this state I would need to change my license back over. This to me is totally not worth it. This is the state I was born in and they have all my records.
When I moved to Mississippi a little over a year ago I had to get a MS license. When I was at the desk waiting for her to enter my information so I could take the picture. The lady looked up at me and laughed saying "I don't know if you noticed or not but they had put Male on your license. What a horrible mistake but don't worry I can fix that easily for you." This is another perfect example as far as what I was saying above. I don't know if she read me and knew that since I was presenting as female that my license should say female or if she had no clue and thought that it was a total mistake that they had put it there. Either way she was nice enough to point it out and change it for me without me even saying a word or asking. I had been trying to do that for 5 years! One time I even reached over the counter and tried to change it while the clerk here in Kentucky was taking care of another situation.

So you see, for me, it is better to go without for a little while until I can get to Florida with an F still on my license so I will have it when I change it over rather than get all this help and take a chance that the clerk in FL won't be so understanding.

AKAMichelle
10-02-2010, 02:09 PM
This wasn't meant to be a discussion on government or different countries. I was trying to show that even when things are at their worst there is some hope. There are still good people in the world even if it is hard to find them. Kinda reminds me of a song I haven't heard in years. Angels Among us by Alabama (from a time when country was still good).
"Oh I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
they come to you and me in our darkest hour
to show us how to live teach us how to give
to guide us with the light of love."

Maybe there really are angels among us. . .

Also I wanted to state that there are some other things I could do or look into as far as help. Theres shelters and food stamps, help with housing and even car repairs. In order for me to get any of that sort of help from this state I would need to change my license back over. This to me is totally not worth it. This is the state I was born in and they have all my records.
When I moved to Mississippi a little over a year ago I had to get a MS license. When I was at the desk waiting for her to enter my information so I could take the picture. The lady looked up at me and laughed saying "I don't know if you noticed or not but they had put Male on your license. What a horrible mistake but don't worry I can fix that easily for you." This is another perfect example as far as what I was saying above. I don't know if she read me and knew that since I was presenting as female that my license should say female or if she had no clue and thought that it was a total mistake that they had put it there. Either way she was nice enough to point it out and change it for me without me even saying a word or asking. I had been trying to do that for 5 years! One time I even reached over the counter and tried to change it while the clerk here in Kentucky was taking care of another situation.

So you see, for me, it is better to go without for a little while until I can get to Florida with an F still on my license so I will have it when I change it over rather than get all this help and take a chance that the clerk in FL won't be so understanding.

Unfortunately you may not get to keep the "F" on your drivers license in Florida, but there definitely appears to be angels looking over you. I wish you the best in your move to Florida. I hope it is everything that you have dreamed of and more.

erika130
10-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Christie
I don't really post here much, which is odd since i do read a lot in the TS forum... I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. Like Kaitlyn says, there are lots of good people in this world, I guess they are just harder to find. Anyways, also wanted to wish you good luck! Hope things turn out better for you. Thanks for sharing your story, do keep us updated ;)
:hugs:
Erika

nikkijo
10-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Niikijo, for how many years have you been working and paying taxes?
Like you, I was averse to becoming a "bludger" when I fell upon hard times.
Friends and family pointed out to me that I was merely claiming back for myself, taxes that I had paid for many years.
The important thing, and I stress this, is to make sure one does not stay on the benefit for any longer than one absolutely has to!

christiek, I deeply synpathize with you and your predicament.
Set aside your foolish pride for the moment and bless the system as you use it to get back on your feet.
May you soon be self-sufficient once more!

16 years... since the day i turned 14 thank you very much. and i disagree with DHS's current policies, but if getting back on ones feet is your goal there is definatly a way out there to do it.

and believe it or not most dont take a whole lot to do it.... if you have a current DL showing female, and you pass 99.999 % it isnt even questioned so try it.. but all the better for scoring the bit of help you did get and it just makes you stronger to get things done on your own