PDA

View Full Version : Hairy driving

Elizabeth Ann
10-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't get out much, but last week I had a road trip alone, and decided to make the drive en femme. It was fun, except for one alarming feature I had not foreseen. I generally have very good peripheral vision, and when changing lanes will usually look over my shoulder to check the blind spot in the next lane. This time, I would turn my head and see. . . nothing but hair!

This was not an extreme wig. I am not sure what you call the style, but it is the wig in my avatar. Think Doris Day, for those of you old enough to remember her.

It was like having blinders on. I couldn't change lanes, or back up, park, check cross traffic, or any number of things without catching a glimpse of hair. I really felt like it was a traffic hazard. I think I owe an apology to all those women drivers who seemed oblivious.

Maybe traffic regulations should require all long hair to be in pony tails!

Liz

Christy_M
10-01-2010, 09:10 AM
That's too funny - I wish I could say I didn't know who Doris Day was...

Maybe you could add a bicycle mirror to the side of you wig to open up that area of vision. :)

Charleen
10-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Having had long hair for more years then I care to think about, I either do the "flip" of the head, or automatically use my hand to keep it out of the way. After a few times this comes without thinking about it.

Karinsamatha
10-01-2010, 12:23 PM
LOL to funny :lol2: When I been out in fem with the wig in my avatar I normally look over my shoulder - been ridding motorcycles with a full face helmet for many years. So I am used to slightly reduced peripheral vision.

Cassi3
10-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Too funny! I had the similar reaction the first time I drove en femme, but after a while, I got used to it.

Aprilrain
10-02-2010, 12:37 AM
thats great ha ha ha! I drive a truck and have added blind spot eliminaters. these are small circular fish eye mirrors that allow you to see what is in your blind spot with out having to look over your shoulder. I look over my shoulder anyway out of habit. I havent noticed the hair. Then again I took right to long nails too. Born to be girly I guess.

alyssaenglefield
10-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Go top your local supermarket and buy some hair clips or bobby pins. If your hair gets in your eyes while driving, it's best to pin it back.

What you can't see could cause an accident. $1300 third-party insurance excess ($400 standard, $500 under-21, and $400 learner/restricted licence) and a $333 radiator re-core (from the lady in front of me's towbar going through it) is not something you want to be paying, especially if you're only bringing home around $160 per week from your part-time job. Luckily my dad is a mechanic of 30 years experience, otherwise I'd be looking at $2500 in repairs!

RachelPortugal
10-02-2010, 03:10 AM
I had shoulder length hair when I learned to drive back in the 70's. My instructor insisted that I tied my hair back, as he did for all long-haired students - girl or boy. Not only did it affect my own field of vision for safety reasons but it also meant that he could not see whether I was looking in the mirror frequently enough.

Now, both my vehicles have dual lens mirrors to eliminate blindspots, but I still clip my hair (a wig now) back when driving. Force of habit I suppose, just like the seat belt.

eluuzion
10-02-2010, 03:12 AM
I generally have very good peripheral vision, ...

So then, what you are saying is that you are a "peripheral visionary"...:D

Hey, I just could not resist that one...:heehee:

I have a tall spoiler on my trunk (Indy car-ish) and there is also a natural "blind spot" with the way the roof slants down in the back. I can also relate to your dilemma. I rely heavily on my side mirrors. (except at night, when I angle them down such that the headlights of cars behind me that insist on tailgating get a blast of their headlights reflected directly back into their eyes) One of my pet peeves I guess (it works too).

The annoying part of long hair for me is when it is always getting into my mouth, or one stray hair sticks to my lips!

:love:

Elizabeth Ann
10-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Ha! Smart A**, or, given this forum, should I call you: Smart A**et? :D

I rely heavily on my side mirrors. (except at night, when I angle them down such that the headlights of cars behind me that insist on tailgating get a blast of their headlights reflected directly back into their eyes) One of my pet peeves I guess (it works too).

Oh, oh. This is dangerous information, since I am just malicious enough to steal this idea. Thanks, I think.

The annoying part of long hair for me is when it is always getting into my mouth, or one stray hair sticks to my lips!
:love:

See my thread from last year on eating soup:
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?100097-Open-mouth-insert-hair&highlight=

Liz

makin' it real
10-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I generally have very good peripheral vision, and when changing lanes will usually look over my shoulder to check the blind spot in the next lane. This time, I would turn my head and see. . . nothing but hair!

I luh luh luhve Steven Wright! The original peripheral visionary, who could see the future, but only way off to the side.

So following some of the suggestions here for an additional mirror, I tried to Xerox one of mine to send to you. Now I have an extra Xerox machine instead. Oops!

Chickhe
10-03-2010, 12:34 AM
you are supposed to turn your head fast enough for the centrifugal force to lift the hair away...

eluuzion
10-03-2010, 03:25 AM
I luh luh luhve Steven Wright! The original peripheral visionary, who could see the future, but only way off to the side.

So following some of the suggestions here for an additional mirror, I tried to Xerox one of mine to send to you. Now I have an extra Xerox machine instead. Oops!

Stephen Wright was always a favorite of mine many years ago. Then he seemed to “vanish” for awhile. Just a couple of weeks ago I saw him as a guest on a late night talk show (Letterman or Craig Ferguson?). I view the world in similar perspective to his humorous outlook.