PDA

View Full Version : Which are the signature feminine gestures?

linda.wai
10-01-2010, 11:38 AM
I know we shouldn't stereotype women but there are movements and gestures that are uniquely feminine and which women do on a day to day basis. I would like to start a list of these gestures and movements as I can't find it on this forum after searching.

Eyes roll upwards when thinking
Only roll the eyes without turning the head when wanting to look at somebody
Smile by showing all the teeth
Point at something with index finger flexed and turned upwards
Crossing legs at the thigh level when seated

Please add to the list

Gina X
10-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Smoothing the back of skirt or dress when sitting

Love GinaX

Persephone
10-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Covering your mouth when chewing or giggling.

Shananigans
10-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't really think that the eyeroll upwards is necessarily a feminine gesture. I heard in psych class that people usually do this when they are unsure of an answer for something and are processing information. Unconsciously they roll the eyes upwards (usually to the left), almost like they are waiting for the information to get sent and processed. I don't really know all of the truth to this statement, because I don't see how you could really test for it. But, that's what dem psychologists are sayin'.

But, to add to the list. Women tend to check their nails by holding their finger straight out in front of them, whereas men tend to curl the fingertips toward themselves.

When bending over, we are always taught that it is "lady-like" to cover your chest. Even if I am not wearing a low-cut top, I still put my hand to my chest as I bend over without really thinking about it.

Also, bend your knees and squat down as you bend over to pick something up.

Sorority girls are taught not to cross your legs at your thigh. Only hookers do that. We keep our legs together and cross our heels, placing the hands in the lap. If you get tired in this position, you can lean your legs slightly to one side.

Also, you will notice a difference between two men having a conversation and two women. Two women in conversation will usually have their knees pointing towards the other, and there will be more gesturing than in a male conversation. Also, Idk if this is a southern thing, but we tend to touch each other's forearm when we are making a point.

Sophie86
10-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Tilting her head and shaking her hair a little to be able to get the phone next to her ear.
Sliding her finger along the bottom edge of panties/bathing suit/leotard to unbunch it.
Holding the backs of her arms or elbows when she crosses them, rather than tucking them under her biceps.
Gesturing with just her hands while she talks, rather than moving her arms too.
Touching other people lightly on the arm or shoulder when she speaks to them.
Moving her hips when she walks. <===== Essential. I haven't mastered this one yet.

maggiecdva
10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Crossing legs at the ankle level and kneeling down to pick something up (instead of bending at the waist).

hugs - maggie

Karren H
10-01-2010, 02:04 PM

Yeah!!! I've noticed that guys definitely don't smooth their lbd's when sitting!!

Smiling.... Hugging... Nagging... Shopping....

SamanthaS
10-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Thx, these tips will make "us" look better in public :)

Fab Karen
10-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Sorority girls are taught not to cross your legs at your thigh. Only hookers do that.

Wow, talk about stereotypes- of course, there was a time if you had "painted" lips, you were taken as a prostitute ( & theatre work was considered the den of wh*res ). Thankfully we live in the 21st. Century when women no longer buy into that controlling stuff.

NicoleScott
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
When striking a match from a box or book of matches, men tend to strike it towards their body, women away from their body.

Tima
10-01-2010, 05:22 PM

How about covering your mouth when you’re surprised or astonished? Men never do that. :straightface:

Barbara Jo
10-01-2010, 06:37 PM
A female looks at her finger nails with the hand palm down, and the fingers fully extended.

A male wiil look at his finger nails with his hand palm up, and the fingers cupped.

Rachel Morley
10-01-2010, 07:44 PM
How about covering your mouth when you’re surprised or astonished? Men never do that. :straightface:
That's a good one! ... I don't know any men who do this but I know a lot of women that do :)

Nicola2876
10-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Anyone else reading these thinking "Wow, I'm totally busted"

yazooey
10-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I know that this not a gesture, rather genetics, but it seems that more women than men have double jointed thumbs, or atleast thumbs that are capable of bending further back towards the wrist than men's. I know, it's a weird one but notice a woman's thumb when she makes a shooting gesture, index finger outstretched and thumb back. Also, when a woman drives, look at her thumbs on the steering wheel.

Alice Torn
10-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Ladies tend to play with their hair, if they are feeling good talking to a guy.

eluuzion
10-02-2010, 02:27 AM
I could probably list pages of various gesture related “signs”, expressions and such. Most “gestures” present in “clusters” rather than in isolation and as I have stated before, are circumstantially influenced. “Listing things” always incites those with the propensity for finding faults for “objection and arguments sake”, to action. So I will preface all of the following with a …

disclaimer…”nothing here is a claim of “absolute validity” in any case, or offered with any interest or intention of “defending” anything. Believe or dismiss whatever makes you happy, I’m just flipping a few coins into the fountain for fun, not looking for a battle of “right and wrong”, lol. Whatever you feel compelled to argue about…just assume I agree you are “right”, ok? There, all better… hehehe

Here are a few “cues” and “signals” tossed out in no particular order. Many are probably geared toward sexual attraction cues…I tend to naturally drift my attention more to those areas…lol

They talk softer.
Women will talk more about feelings, relationships and people.
In women's stories, they are more often the victims. (men make themselves heroes)
They will listen carefully and attentively for a long period without interrupting.
Women look at fingernails with outstretched hand, fingers together and pointing up.
Smile more with the eyes than with the mouth.
Hold head more erect and tilted.
Women smile far more than men in both social and business situations.
Women are four times more likely to touch another woman than a man is to touch another man. (touching on the hand, arm, shoulder, hugging, etc.)
Women stand slightly closer to one another, face each other more, and often touch.
Women who want to draw attention to themselves put their hands on their hips combined with a pelvic tilt.
May also put just one hand on the hip and gesture with the other.
They center their weight on the back leg and extend the other out in front.
Women are four times more likely to mirror another woman (copy her gestures or body posture).. Women also mirror men’s body language .
In stressful situations, women may cross one arm across the body to hold or touch the other arm as if she is hugging herself.
Anxious or self-conscious women use their handbags or purses to cross their arms in front of her body.
Shy and timid women will cross their legs and then wrap the foot of the top leg around behind the other so her legs are entwined.
Women laugh at men they’re attracted to, his jokes or comments.
Women tend to keep their arms more open when they are around men they find attractive.
(And are likely to fold their arms across their breasts around aggressive or unattractive men.)
A woman will place one hand on top of the other and rest her face upon it, presenting her face to a man to attract his attention and for him to admire it
Head toss and hair flick backed over the shoulders or away from the face
Wet lips and pouting mouth, slightly open
Self-touching, like stroking thigh, neck or throat
Limp wrist as submission signal
Fondles a cylindrical object, like a pen, pencil, lipstick case, etc.
Exposes wrists.
Flicks or toys with an object.
Sideways glance over raised shoulder.
Rolls hips when she walks.
Pelvic tilt – emphasizes waist to hip ratio (a waist that is 70% of the hip size is most attractive to men)
Places handbag in close proximity to the man – if she likes him.
Knee point – one leg tucked under the other and pointing to the person she finds most interesting.
Shoe fondle – dangling the shoe on the end of the foot and thrusts foot in and out of it
Leg twine – one leg crossed over the other and pressed against it
Constantly cross and uncross her legs when she’s with a man she likes.
When women smoke they will often hold the cigarette high with their wrist bent.
They don’t hold the smoke in their lungs as long as men. (Their lungs are smaller).
Will get up and move across room, then return & sit again (attract guys attention).
Mouth words to music and sway head to music when looking at attractive guy.
Lick their lips a lot.
“Bite down” on lower lip with top teeth slightly exposed.
Glance at a guy they like, then look away, then look again.
“Solitary dance”- in a bar, etc., will get up, move away from group and move to the music to attract attention and separate themselves (as display to be singled out and noticed)
Laugh a lot more than the others in the group in response to a guy she likes.
Will lightly touch a person she likes when given the opportunity.
Will stroke her hair frequently while looking at a guy she finds attractive.
This also exposes her neck to the guy. (submission gesture).
Will cross legs with the top leg facing the person she likes (“closing them in”).
Take advantage of any reflection to check out their appearance (in a window, mirror).
Will erect/straighten up posture upon standing, extend chest, tighten stomach,
place one hand on upper stomach and lightly “brush” clothes “downward” with other hand.

Oh, and women tend to sit very still and glance toward an attractive male when the bar tab comes, lol.

We did another thread on this somewhere...

:love:

linda.wai
10-02-2010, 03:02 AM
eluuzion's list is most comprehensive.

I just wonder if we can add more to this list.

I also want to learn from youtube videos that deals with these feminine deportment and gestures. There are very few out there.
I found Shimai / Sharonne to be very feminine and exhibits all the right moves over the short time of the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1LSpS5dTTg
Let's put up some more clips that would allow us to emulate and move around in a feminine style. Cheers !

t-girlxsophie
10-02-2010, 04:58 AM
When yawning ladies always cover their mouths and men don't,only goes to show that women have better etiquette than men

:hugs:Sophie xx

janice murray
10-02-2010, 05:07 AM
Crossing my legs and "tucking in" if I'm wearing a skirt or a dress.

linda allen
10-02-2010, 07:15 AM
So why is it females do these things differently than males? I wouldn't think it's genetic so it must be from observing other females while growing up. If a female was raised in an all male environment would she act like a male? If a male was raised in an all female environment would he act like a female?

And why do females throw a ball differently than males?

christiek
10-02-2010, 07:34 AM
For me it is quite the opposite I am thinking "wow I am doing most of these things without even realizing it!" It just takes time. Just as we learn from watching others when we are children we watch other women at a subconcious level and learn from them. Most of us don't have nearly as many years of doing so as most GG's do so it takes us a little longer. Just don't be scared to watch and emulate other women if that is truely what you want. Same goes for ftm's though I would think it would be much easier for them. Men don't show nearly as much emotion or as many gestures as women do so it is less to learn. Its more situational for men. Again it just takes time and we will all get to where we want to be eventually. Also remember that no one is 100% feminine or 100% masculine. In todays world it is more acceptable for women to seem a little more masculine than it was in the past. Everyone has to find their own spot that they are happy with.

Sedona
10-02-2010, 08:14 AM
I've noticed that when men take a drink from a glass, they'll tend to look into it first, while women usually don't.

Ann Thomas
10-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Women tend to stand ankles together, legs touching all the way from top to bottom. Men tend to stand with feet about shoulder width apart.

linda.wai
10-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Feminine signature movements are the special and natural way a girl carries on her daily life.
How she hold things, point at objects, look at people, smile, stand, sit, play with her hair, walk, talk and eat. How she turn pages of a book, hold a pen, look through things in her handbag.....

I am hoping that someone could show me YouTube clips which teaches me these skills. I really want to emulate these movements and become naturally girlish.

I think the lack of these feminine movements is just as unhelpful for passing as having a deep male voice.

Fab Karen
10-02-2010, 07:24 PM
When yawning ladies always cover their mouths and men don't,only goes to show that women have better etiquette than men

:hugs:Sophie xx
Funny, I was raised with manners, I have always covered my mouth for that ( from childhood on ).
When you see such threads saying or implying "women always..." they don't always. But if you want to ignore that, as Lorileah said once,women ALWAYS put their shoes on heel-first. :D

Carly D
10-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Burping loudly, farting and cussing like a sailor.. No wait, that's just my niece..

linda.wai
10-03-2010, 12:23 PM
How many ways does a girl flicks and plays with her hair?

How does the way a girl uses the phone, types a keyboard or reach out for items that is different from a man's?

Persephone
10-03-2010, 01:04 PM
We dance or sway instead of playing air drums or air guitar.

Sarah Michelle
10-03-2010, 02:39 PM
the psychologists believe that an eyeroll up and to the left is recalling something but up and to the right is making something up [otherwise known as lying] but then if you know this you can modify the behaviour, and eyeroll is gender neutral....

linda.wai
10-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Last year, I was in Thailand and was with a group of ladyboys. They spend every waking second on how to perfect their feminine presentation. When they are amongst themselves, all they talk about is this topic, how to gesture in girly and feminine manner at all times!

Presh GG
10-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Funny, I've been a GG all my life and I don't remember ever doing half to 3/4 of these things . ..Particularly playing with my hair or a head toss. Nope, never.

Presh GG

linda.wai
10-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Funny, I've been a GG all my life and I don't remember ever doing half to 3/4 of these things . ..Particularly playing with my hair or a head toss. Nope, never.

Presh GG

Of course you don't do most of these things consciously. Most girls are not likely to deliberately make an effort to appear girly. However, for us CD, who cherish the experience of being feminine, these gestures are very important to us.
By the way, the ladyboys in Thailand are the most exquisitely feminine people one could meet and none of them are genetic female. On the contrary, the genetic girls from Thailand are often not so feminine.

Shananigans
10-04-2010, 03:40 AM
Wow, talk about stereotypes- of course, there was a time if you had "painted" lips, you were taken as a prostitute ( & theatre work was considered the den of wh*res ). Thankfully we live in the 21st. Century when women no longer buy into that controlling stuff.

Haha not really stereotype or "buying into it" so much as that was word-for-word what we were/are told.

When you think about it, it makes a TON of sense. We (sorority women) were wearing a lot of skirts and dresses...inevitably if you are sitting like that with your legs crossed right on top of each other, someone's gonna get a crotch shot. Or, get shown a lot of thigh. Eitherway, you can look kind of skanky.

But, generally southern families and sororities are very concerned with everything ladylike and womanly. It might sound archaic to you, but then again this is how sororities and other organizations have maintained a certain image. And, usually that image is the epitome of feminine and class.

And, when you are representing yourself and an organization that is known for being A) beautiful, B) feminine, C) classy...you don't go around showing your cooch or thigh. You sit like a lady.

Crossing your legs in the other manner does nothing for your posture...your chest sags down, your hips are at an odd angle, you just look all slouchy...and well...kind of masculine.

By sitting up straight and crossing your ankles, your boobs look perkier, you look 10 pounds slimmer, and you have great posture.

So, do what you like. Call it archaic. But, I'll take 10 pounds slimmer, perkier boobs, and looking like a lady any day! xx

prene
10-04-2010, 03:45 AM
''''
By sitting up straight and crossing your ankles, your boobs look perkier, you look 10 pounds slimmer, and you have great posture.

So, do what you like. Call it archaic. But, I'll take 10 pounds slimmer, perkier boobs, and looking like a lady any day! xx

Me too.

Rianna Humble
10-04-2010, 04:07 AM

I do that

I do that

Women tend to check their nails by holding their finger straight out in front of them, whereas men tend to curl the fingertips toward themselves.

When bending over, we are always taught that it is "lady-like" to cover your chest. Even if I am not wearing a low-cut top, I still put my hand to my chest as I bend over without really thinking about it.

Also, bend your knees and squat down as you bend over to pick something up.

Sorority girls are taught not to cross your legs at your thigh. Only hookers do that. We keep our legs together and cross our heels, placing the hands in the lap. If you get tired in this position, you can lean your legs slightly to one side.

I check my nails the right way, hadn't thought about my covering chest, but have done it on occasion, pick things up by bending my knees and squatting (much better for your back anyway) and I find crossing my legs at the ankle both easier and more natural. Also lean my legs to one side if I've been sitting for a while.

Holding the backs of her arms or elbows when she crosses them, rather than tucking them under her biceps.
Gesturing with just her hands while she talks, rather than moving her arms too.
Touching other people lightly on the arm or shoulder when she speaks to them.

I do those

Crossing legs at the ankle level and kneeling down to pick something up

That is not only uncomfortable, it is much harder to get up from a kneeling position whilst your legs are crossed and your hands are full :heehee:

I do that

Does this mean I'm not much good at being a man? :eek:

Shananigans
10-04-2010, 04:17 AM
Does this mean I'm not much good at being a man? :eek:

You're just really good at being a lady. Which is good! I mean, you can dress all day how you want, but to really pull it off you have to walk the walk (literally).

I know Camie and I are working on some of these things still...especially the sitting in dresses. I had a couple nice views..and funny pictures while she was sitting in a certain dress. (OMG, now she's going to kill me if she reads this! Haha) But, it's always fun...and, and we have a good time with it which is the most important thing, imo.

So, I'd say you are on point and make a very well-mannered lady.

eluuzion
10-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Here is a bit more information for anybody interested...

I should probably begin by repeating myself and say that in any issue being discussed, I believe the following applies...

"always is never true, never is always false"

there, all better...now I'll proceed, :heehee:

Kinesics, microexpressions and other types of non-verbal “cues” are clues, not absolutes. One isolated “cue” is not attached to one specific conclusion. It simply provides a clue to the emotional and cognitive process, not a definition of a specific event. “Cues” are presented in “clusters”(several different cues presenting simultaneously) and when properly interpreted, suggest a specific process is taking place).

Accurately “reading” body language is not a process of symptom “A” means diagnosis “B”. Looking “down” may suggest submission or it could indicate a shoe is untied. It is a process of recognizing several small cues displayed simultaneously, by a specific person, with a specific baseline, etc. It is more of a “profiling” exercise executed in just a few seconds of time.

The commonly seen reference to eye movements and "lying" evolved from studies of “visual accessing cues”.

It refers to the general direction a person’s eyes will move when accessing different types of information (thinking). Here is a brief description. The “direction” orientation refers to your viewpoint, when you are looking at them. ( “to the right” means to YOUR right).

“Visual Accessing Cues”
When asked a question a "normally organized" right-handed person looks (from your viewpoint, looking at them):

Up and to the Left
-indicates Visually Constructed Images (VC)

Up and to the Right
-Indicates Visually Remembered Images (VR)

To the Left
-indicates Auditory Constructed (AC)

To the Right
-Indicates Auditory Remembered (AR)

Down and to the Left
- Indicates Feeling/Kinesthetic (F) (recalling a smell, feeling, taste)

Down and to the Right
-indicates Internal Dialog (AI) (talking to themselves)

This is where the “tips for recognizing lies” came from. For example…Answering while eyes are looking “up and to the left” (your left as you face person) are fabricated answers, or “lies”.

But that one action requires more information before assuming it is accurate. (just like everything else in life, :thumbsup:lol).

:love:

Tina Marie
10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Wiping from back to front between thighs on the toilet. Not to sure where that came from. But there it is!

Fab Karen
10-05-2010, 05:47 PM
We (sorority women) were wearing a lot of skirts and dresses...inevitably if you are sitting like that with your legs crossed right on top of each other, someone's gonna get a crotch shot. Or, get shown a lot of thigh. Eitherway, you can look kind of skanky.

If your dress or skirt is not really short ( something I imagine your crowd would frown on ), no crotch shots will result. So any thigh showing is "skanky"? Wow. So MOST of the women who have appeared in interviews or host tv shows who cross their legs this way are skanks? ( Women can & do avoid flashing the crotch area when uncrossing their legs ). Why not go all the way & say anyone showing their ankles is a skank? ( it used to be that way at one time ). Do what you like, I choose to live in the 21st. Century.

eluuzion
10-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Wiping from back to front between thighs on the toilet. Not to sure where that came from. But there it is!

Can't tell you where that came from, but I can tell you where it probably did NOT come from...an OBGYN, urologist, or similiar professional. That method will introduce bacteria into a vagina and cause many infections and other hygiene related problems. ("Back to Front")

Kathryn Martin
10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I grew up in Germany. As a boy. We were not allowed to sit with our legs spread (because that was rude no matter what gender you were) you crossed your legs by the ankles, you covered your mouth when you yawned, coughed or cleared your throat. My parents considered women wearing skirts and dresses that had a danger of showing anything when you crossed your legs rude and inappropriate (you would be imposing your genital area on others). Table manners were an absolute must. Much of what I read here as feminine gestures just sounds to me like good sense. The lack of manners in guys, is in my view just that, boys not growing up.

I think what is really feminine are those things such as choice of words, diction, manner of speaking, touching your conversation partner to emphasize and using gestures to enhance the words.

Go figure....I am skeptical....

Persephone
10-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Uh, I was taught never to wipe from back to front -- I was told it is a sure way to give yourself a vaginal infection. Always front to back!

Shananigans
10-07-2010, 01:16 PM
I think a couple inches above the knee is okay to wear when you are doing something like interviews and such. However, when you cross your legs in a dress that is a couple inches above the knee, you will see that it decreases in length not only by sitting down...but, by the act of crossing your legs. So, now, I have a great view of thigh and possible crotch shot when you take your leg back down.

Personally, I don't want to see all of that and 99% of other GGs don't want to see it either.

Neither does your potential boss that your flashing on your interview.

To really make my point...in career counseling right on the brochure of "What To Wear During an Interview," its advice to women on wearing skirts is, "If you know how to wear a skirt (appropriate length, how to sit and stand), then wear a skirt. But, stick to black pants if you are going to accidentally give a peep show."

Long story short...professional environment? Huge no, no. If I am trying to look feminine and classy? Negative.

Furthermore, I'm not saying that people on TV don't skank it up...I mean, Paris Hilton and Britney Spears (both who have had their glory exposed on television) are the romodels for girls in this age. And, I find the majority of them pathetic.

A perfect example of someone who has it together...Kelly Osbourne. I was watching Chelsey Lately last night and Kelly comes out in this super tight skirt that is about 4 inches above the knee. She looked HOT. But, did she pull a Paris Hilton or a Britney Spears...or all of the other nasty cooches that I had to see when I am flipping through magazines? No.

It was like watching Kelly Osbourne channeling Marilyn Monroe and she sat there with her ankles crossed and looked like a million dollars.

My point is this...women have it very much together. The best women are ones that can be extremely sexy and classy at the same time. (Again, think old Hollywood). I'm not talking about going to the extreme...I'm not saying don't show your ankles, blah blah. You even know that's not what I am saying. I'm just saying that if you are out there representing yourself as a WOMAN do it the right way. Be sexy and be classy. If you can sit with your legs crossed in a short dress and not have your arse hanging out...go for it. But, if I see straight up your legs and to your garder and panties...girfrieeeeend...check yourself.

Because, at that point...you are representing "feminine"...you definitely aren't representing "classy." And, for me, feminine and classy in public and a freak behind closed doors is how I do it...and, that's how the best do it. But, I'm probably biased. Again, me and my girls channel old Hollywood...not those nasty coochies I see all over my TV now.

OH, and yes, it's always FRONT TO BACK. The idea is that the feminine anatomy is a little poorly constructed. Two things are just a little too close together and this causes some problems if you aren't careful. So, always wipe from front to back to keep from mixing bad bacteria from your backdoor to your front door.

That's all I will say about that. Haha

Elizabeth Martin
10-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Front to back. Safety first.

Helen_Highwater
10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Some actions are born of necessity. If you've spent an hour doing make up, you don't scratch the itch on the end of your nose by rubbing between your thumb and first finger; it's a delicate touch with the end of a nail. Similarly if your eye itches and you're wearing false nails, unless you want to end up looking like Daryl Hannah in Kill Bill, a certain amount of TLC is required.

linda.wai
10-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Does anyone know ten ways to fiddle with your hair that's very feminine?

suchacutie
10-07-2010, 10:20 PM
This thread is the BEST!!! I am frustrated with my smile, but I'm working on it..

The hair flick, general deportment, standing...all these things make such a difference. My wife made it very clear when Tina first started that she needed to discuss 15 years of learning how to be a girl that she went through...there is so much to learn.

Let me add that the knowledge of the language of girls clothes is also important. A-line, dolmon sleeves, etc. etc...else we immediately make it clear we are not GG!

tina

Shananigans
10-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Does anyone know ten ways to fiddle with your hair that's very feminine?

Haha I'm really happy to see this question. The other day, I was talking to my friend about bad habits when you are tuning out in class. And, we both found out that we had this habit of picking at our split ends when we are bored during lecture. I've noticed a lot of girls do this for some reason when they are bored to tears. I think Camie (my SO) was actually doing this in one of our pictures before the album was deleted. But, you just take a small strand of hair and flip it up so it is facing towards you...and you inspect it haha. I always end up picking off the little ends that are split. Apparently, my friend had this bad habit too. I don't know what it is...

So, I went to lecture today and just looked around...there were at least 4 girls doing the same thing. (There are 70 people in the room...so, not a staggering amount...but, none of the guys were doing it haha)

That's about the only way I fiddle with my hair.

Though, in this video we were shooting for a class project, we had the camera rolling before we actually started...and, all of the girl were running their fingers through their hair and flipping it over their shoulders. We had like 2 solid minutes of this. Of course, we had to put it on the Bloopers Reel with a line that said, "Count how many times we smack our gum or play with our hair..."

Though, the gum smacking was not becoming at all. It made me think, "Oh, wow...that's what I look like when I am smacking my gum...like a cow..."

erickka
10-08-2010, 05:37 AM
I see a whole lot of talking with the hands. Also, a lot of younger GG's seem to have that cute subdued giggle when something funny is said.

Lauraj
10-09-2010, 08:56 PM
You got that right!! I do several of these all the time.

linda.wai
10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
How about playing with shoes when seated?
Or, always checking and fiddling with clothes, even bra straps.
Looking at men with that quick innocent look perhaps?

Soriya
10-09-2010, 11:25 PM

Ummm, yea LOL, but I do go out dressed. I am more thinking reading this that my natural male gestures have always been more feminine, and I'm a straight guy. LOL

~amy
10-10-2010, 08:10 PM
One thing that I believe shouldn't be left out here are the auditory gestures that distinguish feminine expression from masculine.

Women tend to use pronounced inflection especially while giving a salutation.

Men tend to give a quick "thanks" while women say "thank you" in an extended sweet manor which much inflection.

Men say "So" or "Go". Many women say "Seo" or "Geo". The "e" being pronounced like the "e" in the word "set". Men say "what" women say "wet".

Some women tend to accentuate the letter "S" every chance they can get which is where I believe the term swishy came from. They pronounce their Ts more distinctly then men. Sometimes men don't pronounce the "T" at all

Men in general have a more relaxed enunciation where as women tend enunciate every consonant and vowel.

Besides having larger voice box, Men's voices come from lower in the larynx than a woman's which most full timers modify to give a more realistic woman's voice.

It surprises me how many trans folk (even full timers) put so much attention and money to dressing femme and even transitioning be it FFS, SRS, HRT but very little given to sounding femme when feminizing the voice is the one of the big things one can do to complete one's femme self. Much bang for the buck.

This is but a few auditory differences though there are many more than this

linda.wai
10-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Sitting like a girl, legs crossed,arms as close to body as possible and kept a straight posture.
Looking at someone by moving the eyes and keeping the head still

linda.wai
10-14-2010, 06:05 AM
Appearing subtly feminine is not the same as appearing camp.
It is hard to tell the two initially.
Only after much observation can I start to tell the difference.

JohnH
10-14-2010, 05:13 PM
A female looks at her finger nails with the hand palm down, and the fingers fully extended.

A male wiil look at his finger nails with his hand palm up, and the fingers cupped.

I do it both ways instinctively. So I must be a combination of male and female :)

Love GinaX
I make a conscious effort to smooth the back of the skirt or dress when I am wearing one and sitting since don't like to sit on things with my bare legs. It is not instinctive.