PDA

View Full Version : Dr Watson's gender disorientation and indecision scales applied to biological males

Michelle James
10-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I just ran across this on another site. I figure I am somwhere between 3 and 4. I would be interested to know if anyone else has heard of this and where do you rank?

Watson Table
Group One: Low Intensity Transvestite
Gender Identity: Feminine identification only with acting out sexual fantasies.
Gender Role: Normal Male. Cross-dressing intermittent and private.
Eroticism: Genital-heightened arousal when cross-dressed.
Biological Feminization: No desire.
Conflicts: Guilt over normalcy, spousal disapproval.
Desire for Re-assignment: Not considered.
Treatment: Provide information and reassurance. Couples therapy. If impulses are ego-alien use behaviour modification, setting limits on cross-dressing sufficient to control guilt but enough to allow emotional relief.

Group Two: Medium Intensity Transvestite
Gender Identity: Appeal for Femininity may spill over into non-sexual life.
Gender Role: Cross-dressing more pressured, fetishistic and exhibitionistic. Intermittent relapse of intense need to act on feminine impulses related to stress alternating with reduced desire.
Eroticism: Genital-some breast.
Biological Feminization: If impulses ego-alien may use spironolactone to reduce libido.
Conflicts: Guilt and sexual performance anxiety, threatened masculinity fear of aging.
Desire for Re-assignment: Fleeting under stress.
Treatment: Insight-oriented psychotherapy to identify and modify sources of stress. Negotiate compromise in transvestitic behaviour such as dressing under male clothing.

Group Three: Transvestitic Transsexual
Gender Identity: Ambivalent gender identity. Value male sex organs but feel feminine. "She-Male"
Gender Role: Dresses as much as possible depending on life circumstances. Dressing not necessarily sexual. Impulses often intensify with age and may crystalize into a transsexual picture.
Eroticism: Genital and breast.
Biological Feminization: Spironolactone for demasculinization + gynecomastia. Some may need hormones for emotional balance.
Conflicts: Confusion and personality disorganization, dual personality with male and female names and disassociated personality components.
Desire for Re-assignment: May consider late if very inadequate as males, dependent on commitments.
Treatment: Integrative psychotherapy to stabilize androgeny. Support for re-assignment if appropriate.

Group Four: Moderate Intensity Transsexual
Gender Identity: Feel female but able to supress until age 30-50. Increasing dichotomy with age.
Gender Role: Try macho lifestyle to compensate. Increasing depression and anxiety over time. Never comfortable as males.
Eroticism: Genital if fantasizing self as female. Low libido.
Biological feminization: Requested late or intermittent.
Conflicts: Guilt, loss + fear of passing. Fear of rejection. Confused sexual orientation. Desire for
Re-assignment: Re-assignment hoped for, often attained.
Treatment: Supportive psychotherapy for symptomatic relief, family therapy, education group for stabilization of female identity.

Group Five: High Intensity Transsexual
Gender Identity: Total gender inversion. Never able to supress femininity. Feminine boys.
Gender Role: Dressing insufficient relief. Cross-live early.
Eroticism: Often asexual.
Biological Feminization: Urgent request. Late teens, early 20's.
Conflicts: Stigma of re-assignment. Family and cultural attitudes.
Desire for Re-assignment: Urgently requested. Self-mutilate if too long frustrated.
Treatment: Education support and family therapy. Assisting process of re-assignment

Karinsamatha
10-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Put me in catagory 4 for the most part.
:hugs:

Cherry Lynn
10-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I am between 3 and 4 also.

Steph.TS
10-02-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm almost certain I'm group 4...

Nicola2876
10-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Mostly a 4 I think

GaleWarning
10-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I am a 0 then ....
The label does not apply.
No feminine identification.
The activity is not viewed as "crossdressing".
Always genitally aroused, even when "in drab".
Negative desire for biological feminization.
No guilt. no spousal disapproval.
Re-alignment considered and rejected.
No need for counselling.

jambam
10-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm probably a 5... not sure how much stock I put into this scale, though.

jessica renee
10-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Put me in between 3 and 4 as well.

Lorileah
10-02-2010, 11:17 PM
transvestic transsexual? Wow. This Watson...he is like....wow. I am at a loss really. Do they all need "treatment"? Wonder what his focus group was like...how many. what was the standard deviation?...OH it would be the group one who do it for sexual gratification. Methinks Watson should stick to solving crimes with Mr Holmes.

I just want to add this looks like a publish or perish study.

Steph.TS
10-02-2010, 11:27 PM
http://www.genderpsychology.org/transsexual/watson.html

what is the Kinsey's Gender Disorientation Scale?

Chickhe
10-02-2010, 11:43 PM
I can't decide...1 to 4 all have components that I experience sometimes... the only thing I can say is I'm not number 5.

docrobbysherry
10-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Some from Group One, some from Group 2. I won't cop to being a 1 1/2 anything!
Where's the "Mr. Holmes" scale of gender deviation?

Pythos
10-03-2010, 01:16 AM
I must call it.

B.S.!!!

Very VEry limited. Scale there.

Once again treating this as some sort of disease that needs treatment.

Is there such a test for women?

This scale in some ways I find both sexist, as well as insulting. I can't find one of these that even matches me. I have no desire for reasignment, I just wish to look and dress how I wish (lol, and still attract women...fat chance). When I dress I don't find my self "acting feminine" I can't even say what the heck that means.

The only reason there would be treatment needed is so I do not mess with someone else's concept of reality.

Nick2Nikki
10-03-2010, 02:28 AM
After careful analysis, I am from group <error: no match found>.

This scale is very, very limited. I don't fit any of the descriptions offered in the eroticism, conflict, or gender-role categories. I identify as male, feminine aspects of my dressing cross over into everyday life, my dressing is not private, and my dressing creates no conflicts, internal or not. I agree with Pythos, why does this guy feel that crossdressing is a disease that needs treatment? This is just another attempt by someone who has little understanding of crossdressing to pigeon hole us into neat little categories (and then have us all declared insane and locked away from society at large).

sterling12
10-03-2010, 02:34 AM
You can have one item from Column A, and one item from Column B. Or you can get everything in The Buffet starting at $8.95 for Lunches' on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Does seem like a bit of A Menu....don't it?

But, I'm not surprised. Looks like another attempt to put some type of label and "ranking" on our behavior. I've seen far worse criteria, with worse intent from others in The Shrinko Community. The problem is that we are all so Individual. it does a lot of harm to try and "trap" us into some Profile Box or DSM Gobbledygook. I know The Insurance Companies, and The Doc's Ego's demand that they do this. I just think it doesn't work for Individuals.

Peace and Love, Joanie

GaleWarning
10-03-2010, 02:38 AM
OH it would be the group one who do it for sexual gratification. .

:eek: You are soooo funny Lori!
:D

eluuzion
10-03-2010, 03:35 AM
hmmmmmm...this is one of those times when you have to select one answer from a list of choices where none of them is an exact "fit".

So, let's see... I probably excude all of the sexual stuff and none of the "anxiety, ego, and guilt" characteristics of 1,2,3.

How is that for a political response...lol

MargaretJ
10-03-2010, 08:06 AM
To much psycho-babble, and I don't need treatment.

Michelle James
10-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Before anyone gets too worked up over this I too believe it is BS. I just thought it would be a fun excercise to see where we fall on yet another crackpot scale. Me thinks some of us take things a little too seriously.

Sorry if I got anyones heart started. it was not my intention to assign labels

sandra-leigh
10-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Of those I guess I fit 3 the most. I wouldn't say I especially fit 4.

The references to treatment here are not in the sense of "curing" but rather in the sense of helping the person to stabilize and control their life. For example the "treatment" suggested for group 3 is to make the person comfortable with being androgynous, and to support their wish for SRS if they so desire. That's a very different "treatment" suggestion than would be the case if the scale was considering all this as a "disease".

Emily_3
10-03-2010, 11:00 AM
If I were to be categorized into a group, then number 5 it would be.

however it's too vague and not as clear cut as whats described in the list, everyone is different, so he's making a guesstimate at best

Julogden
10-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Interesting. While it clearly doesn't cover everything, it's significantly better than the 2 broad classifications of transvestite or transexual.

Group four is my closest match.

Carol

Sharon B.
10-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I would say I fit into Class 4

Kelly Greene
10-03-2010, 11:32 AM
I would have to say I think I fit in between 2 and 3 on this.
It has the appearance of trying to lock someone into a specific category and I think that doesn't really work because people don't come out of cookie cutters.

NathalieX66
10-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Dr. Watson....who's he?
FAIL.:thumbsdn:
A real pschologist doesn't classify scenarios in this manner.
1. This leaves too many unanswered questions, and has too many holes.
2. The human imagination is far too complex and varied from person to person. There are too many variables.

Nigella
10-03-2010, 12:01 PM
FFS, there is only one certain way to determine if you are TG or not, look into yourself.

sandra-leigh
10-03-2010, 12:19 PM
The Kinsey scale is shown on another page there, the page with Dr. Benjamin's gender disorientation scale (http://www.genderpsychology.org/transsexual/benjamin_gd.html).

On the Benjamin scale I'd probably be category 4 or 5.

Steph.TS
10-03-2010, 12:30 PM
The Kinsey scale is shown on another page there, the page with Dr. Benjamin's gender disorientation scale (http://www.genderpsychology.org/transsexual/benjamin_gd.html).

I have more problems with this chart than the watson one, this one tries to classify homosexuality/heterosexuality into the mix, according to that chart I'm type 5, but I don't engage in homosexuality. but they list the kinsey scale at being 4-6what reads as:

4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual
5 Predominantly homosexual, but incidentally heterosexual
6 Exclusively homosexual, with no heterosexual experience

the Watson chart left sexual orientation out of it.

weekend woman
10-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Check the website. There in no Dr. Watson, it is really Madelyn H Wyndzen Phd. a self identified transsexual. Most likely those classes listed reflect her transition. She probably asumes that all transexual's life experiences are the same as her's. NOT.

Thus sayeth Joan.

t-girlxsophie
10-03-2010, 02:35 PM
OMG Is this for real.talk about putting us in boxes and in this case not very neat ones at that.I dont fit in any one box but in a mix of most of them.why dont ppl just let us just get on with whatever makes us happy without feeling the need to pigeon hole us.my heads bursting am away for a lie down:eek:

:hugs:Sophie x

sandra-leigh
10-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Check the website. There in no Dr. Watson, it is really Madelyn H Wyndzen Phd. a self identified transsexual.

Madelyn posted the table, but never claimed to have written it, no more than she claimed to have written the Benjamin table she also posted.

I do not have time to chase "Dr. Watson" down completely, but the most probable leads at the moment are Robin Watson with Clarke Institute of Psychiatry Toronto, Canada, or Diane Watson with the Vancouver Hospital Genderity Identity Clinic.

Tasha McIntyre
10-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Without wanting to be pigeon holed.....I am somewhere in between 1 and 2, probably closer to 2.

RachelPortugal
10-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Don't fit into any of the categories, except perhaps Clayfish's group 0. Maybe with some elementary deductions, this is one case that Sherlock Holme may be able to solve.

Rianna Humble
10-04-2010, 02:54 AM
I just ran across this on another site. I figure I am somwhere between 3 and 4. I would be interested to know if anyone else has heard of this and where do you rank?

Never heard of it, but will play along for fun

Watson Table
Group Four: Moderate Intensity Transsexual
Gender Identity: Feel female but able to supress until age 30-50. Increasing dichotomy with age.
Gender Role: Try macho lifestyle to compensate. Increasing depression and anxiety over time. Never comfortable as males.
Eroticism: Genital if fantasizing self as female. Low libido.
Biological feminization: Requested late or intermittent.
Conflicts: Guilt, loss + fear of passing. Fear of rejection. Confused sexual orientation.
Desire for Re-assignment: Re-assignment hoped for, often attained.
Treatment: Supportive psychotherapy for symptomatic relief, family therapy, education group for stabilization of female identity.

Gender Identity: True
Gender Role: 1st part False, 2nd & 3rd parts True
Eroticism: False
Biological feminization: 1st part True
Conflicts: Guilt used to be True, rest False
Desire for Re-assignment: 1st part True
Treatment: Awaited

I have more problems with this chart than the watson one, this one tries to classify homosexuality/heterosexuality into the mix, according to that chart I'm type 5, but I don't engage in homosexuality. but they list the kinsey scale at being 4-6what reads as:

* 4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual
* 5 Predominantly homosexual, but incidentally heterosexual
* 6 Exclusively homosexual, with no heterosexual experience
the Watson chart left sexual orientation out of it.

Like Jen, I would be a Benjamin 5 apart from the sexuality and Kinsey ratings. When I used to be male, I would have come out as a Kinsey Zero, as a woman that would make me a 6
:eek:

donnalee
10-04-2010, 04:51 AM
The idiocy of trying to analyze the imponderable.

Rachaelb64
10-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Sherlock Holmes; "My dear Waston, old chap, I quite think you have missed the point. Now go and put the blue dress back before Mrs Hudson finds out you have been in her wardrode again"

:D