PDA

View Full Version : Need health insurance but starting psych appts. Seeking advice and storiies

simplerhythm
10-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Looking for health insurance. Have a couple appointments scheduled at Minneapolis' Center for Sexual Health. Referred there directly by my GP/PCP last month after telling her I felt I was TS. I'll have a slew of appointments depending on the first two. I understand those two appointments are inductive only, then I'm referred within the clinic to whomever they think is a best fit for me. I'll also be able to talk about related life issues, since my marriage is about to end thanks in part to dressing/questioning who I am.

So, I'm between insurers. I explained to one agent that I had an upcoming appointment at CSH. She said my upcoming appointments were 'indicating' a condition, so they could only offer me this crap with $200+/month premiums AND a 6 month period where they cover nothing for visits. Holy hell; didn't the recent health care reform do anything? Is there a way around this 'indicative' complication of the upcoming appointment, such as canceling, acquiring insurance, and rescheduling to later? Or would they be able to uncover information on the referral..

Anyway, in anticipation of many hours with a psychiatrist, what insurance companies are the best about trans issues? Any I should definitely avoid? Or just share your story as they relate to insurance. Thanks!

Kari

StaceyJane
10-03-2010, 01:14 PM
That's terrible. Most of the benifits from the health care reform don't kick in for a while. Until then, insurance companies will do what ever they can to avoid paying money.
I have the Federal employee Blue Cross Blue Sheild which is great insurance for most people. It covers all the therapy sessions I could ever want but it does not cover any meds or surgery related to TS.

simplerhythm
10-03-2010, 01:57 PM
It's my understanding that most of the changes went into effect on 9-23, actually

LeannL
10-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Kari,

Prohibitions for denying pre-conditions only went into effect on 9-23 for children is my understanding. Adults come later. this is the cost of having to compromise with hard hearted legislators.

Leann

janelle
10-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Just want to give you some encouagement that I go to the same place & Dr. Feldman who you will end up getting hormones from is great. I have also have serveral therapist & am now seeing Dr, Bockting. I wish you tons of luck.

HUGSSSSSSSSSSS........................Janelle

Hope
10-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Prohibitions for denying pre-conditions only went into effect on 9-23 for children is my understanding. Adults come later. this is the cost of letting republicans eviscerate health reform in order to protect the health insurance corporations interests.

I fixed that for you...

And you are right - most of the benefits of health insurance, most of those for adults, won't take effect until 2014.

Kari,

Now that you have told one potential health insurer about your upcoming appointments, you should expect that all future insures will know about it, and will likely treat you in a similar manner. Their share a common database and toss in information like this.

On the plus side, regardless of the cost, you will be a happier girl once you get this process started... even if it is miserable while you are going through it. And there are a lot of folks here and elsewhere who will be more than happy to provide you with support and guidance. Congratulations on identifying your issues and starting to work on them. Lots of folks never get that far. It is an adventure, enjoy it if you can.

simplerhythm
10-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Just want to give you some encouagement that I go to the same place & Dr. Feldman who you will end up getting hormones from is great. I have also have serveral therapist & am now seeing Dr, Bockting. I wish you tons of luck.

HUGSSSSSSSSSSS........................Janelle

Hey, thanks :)
I know someone else who saw/is seeing Dr. Bockting. He sounds pretty great :)
Still not sure what the bills are going to look like... but I'll gladly pay!