PDA

View Full Version : Saw A Really Great Organ Today!

Persephone
10-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Hi!

Where to go en femme? Well, today my spouse and I went to a terrific organ recital.

It started out pretty frantic. I hadn't had a chance to lay out my outfit in advance. The blouse that I picked out didn't end up looking right. Then a friend called to chat just when I was already behind schedule. I quickly jumped into a different blouse and skirt. And the clock was going tick, tick, tick.

Then I couldn't find the shoes I was looking for, so ended up with a pair of 5" (12.7 cm) stilettos (with a 3/4" [1.9 cm] platform). Perhaps a bit higher than appropriate for the event, but they were the best I could do.

We left the house about 10 minutes late, but fortunately traffic was light on the freeway and we arrived in time to get our tickets. A few minutes later the doors to the theater opened and we headed in.

People without heels on were commenting on how steep the aisles were, so it was a real experience to walk down to our seats in seriously high heels!

During intermission I even braved the aisles again to walk all the way down to the stage to see the organ up close and personal. Fortunately, the trip up was much easier!

Christoph Bull was the organist and he was terrific! The organ was a 17-rank style 260-Special Wurlitzer. Beautiful music as Christoph played some of his personal favorites.

There was an accompanying laser light show, but it didn't feel particularly synchronized and we were a bit disappointed in that aspect of the program.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/SanGabrielMissionW.jpg

After the concert my spouse and I went to an Italian restaurant for dinner and we were both good girls, focusing on the healthier dishes, eating more of the salad, skipping dessert, you know the drill.

On the way home we needed a couple of items, so we stopped at a local supermarket and did a bit of shopping.

All in all, a very lovely day!

Hugs,
Persephone .

joanna marie
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
sounds like a fun time for both you and your spouse,I wish that I could do that with my SO
You look great, 5 inch heels! you go girl!!!!!

SherriePall
10-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Glad you enjoyed the recital. A well played organ is incomparable. BTW, love the way you look. But 5-inch heels? I'm getting dizzy just thinking about them.

Persephone
10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
A well played organ is incomparable.

Thanks Sherrie! Your post triggered a flashback to the days when I was a DJ.

Normally, going up to a hard break like a newscast you "backtime" a couple of tunes so that the last one will end right on time. Unfortunately one day I goofed up my backtime and ended up with a minute to fill -- too long to do the weather or talk, so I grabbed an instrumental recording of Jimmy McGriff playing the organ.

As I started the seque, there was too much of a clash between the previous selection and that one, something I had to cover by doing a voice over.

So I opened the mike and said, "And to take us to newstime, here's a little taste of Jimmy McGriff's organ."

The engineer in the other room literally fell off his chair in hysterics.

PretzelGirl
10-05-2010, 09:31 PM
So I opened the mike and said, "And to take us to newstime, here's a little taste of Jimmy McGriff's organ."

Oh no Barbara! I had a similar thought coming into the thread that it would be like looking at an accident. You saw a great organ? I was peaking through my fingers. :heehee:

You look fantastic in that outfit. Now that is an enjoyable evening.

Persephone
10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
You look fantastic in that outfit. Now that is an enjoyable evening.

Thank you, Sue! Yes, it was a lovely day and evening.

I was concerned when I had to end up wearing 5" heels because I figured I would attract a few too many stares, and, particularly among women, they would most likely not be very flattering stares either. To my surprise, I noticed no unusual glances at my shoes. It might embolden me to wear very high heels to more places in the daytime than I would have worn them before.

Missy Tanya
10-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Looking good girl. But really, 5" heel at the supermarket. You were turning more heads than the lettuce stocker. Lol. Tanya

Jennifer in CO
10-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I can greatly appreciate your joy in hearing the organ. Thrills of my musical life was getting to hear 3 performances; Virgil Fox, Van Cliburn and Ferrante & Teicher all in Dallas when I was growing up. Fox was at the Baptist church downtown if I remember, VC was the inaugural performance at the then new Dallas Performing Arts Center (at the fairgrounds I think this was early 70's)) and F&T were in the main hall on the SMU campus. That one I remember fondly as the power went out just before the concert was to start. The hall was lit well enough that they took off their coats and for probably an hour they took requests from the audience and shared stories of various concerts around the world. When the power came back on, they left the platform, let the MC for the evening introduce them, then returned to their instruments and performed their entire concert as if nothing had happened.

Jenn

Frédérique
10-06-2010, 05:46 AM
Christoph Bull was the organist and he was terrific! The organ was a 17-rank style 260-Special Wurlitzer. Beautiful music as Christoph played some of his personal favorites. There was an accompanying laser light show, but it didn't feel particularly synchronized and we were a bit disappointed in that aspect of the program.

I’m dating myself (a good title for a thread, wouldn’t you say?), but years ago I saw a “heavy organ” recital by Virgil Fox, complete with a light show, just like a rock concert, and the audience, me included, was...young. Mr. Fox played nothing but J. S. Bach, and he told stories between the more lengthy pieces. It was exhilarating and emotionally draining, as I’m sure you can imagine. I recall leaving the theater (in Boston) unable to speak, yet thinking I could do anything, so profound was this captivating experience...

I love your outfit, my dear...:battingeyelashes:

Maria in heels
10-06-2010, 05:53 AM
sounds like you had a wonderful time! and your look...gorgeous! someday, I hope that I can attend functions such as yours with my wife..

Alice Torn
10-06-2010, 04:26 PM
That sounded like fun. I only wish i could have been there, too!

msniki48
10-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Persephone, your ensemble was perfect.....bless your ability to wear the 5" stilleto. In the picture everything is in proportion. i love the look.

it is wonderful that you and your wife can enjoy your time as girl friends

hugs;)

msniki48