PDA

View Full Version : Accidents While Driving

Roberta Marie
10-04-2010, 08:05 AM
I read in a recent post, a question as to whether one should carry guy clothes to change into in case they were involved in an accident. I never understood this thinking. In an emergency, if you are able to change, would there be time, or even a place to change? Wouldn't it look strange to see a half naked guy quickly putting on clothes when a good Samaritan stops to see if they can help? And what about makeup?

Having retired from the fire service as a paramedic and an firefighter after a 26 year career, I think that I can safely say that this strategy will not work in most circumstances, and most of the time is not necessary. I would think that if you are going to worry about getting into such a predicament, your energy might be better spent thinking and rehearsing what you are going to say and how you would respond if such an event were to happen.

The following happened to me this past July, and I thought it might calm some fears regarding being seen in public, and what might happen on the odd chance that you are in an accident.

I had been wearing a denim skirt, an obviously women's top, breast forms, and large hoop earrings all evening since I got home from work, and I saw no need to change before I ran out tonight to take care of something. I did not have any makeup on to cover my beard shadow, nor was I wearing a wig, but my long, thinning hair was pulled back into a pony tail. *Into the van and off I headed. *I was in town, the town where I had worked as a firefighter for 26 years, the town where I know all of the firefighters and most of the cops, The town where I still live and work, and know countless people. But none of them know about my crossdressing. *The van that I was driving has IAFF stickers on the windshield and rear window. *But I had been on these small excursions numerous times before with no problems.

I stopped at a traffic light, the one that is across the street from the police station, and half a block from the fire station, with one car ahead of me. *When the light turned green, the car ahead of me proceeded through the intersection, and I followed. *Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I saw headlights coming through the rain from my right, I hit my brakes and started to steer left, but it was too late. *The small, silver PT Cruiser hit me in the front right fender.

I put the car in park, set the parking brake and turned on the hazard lights, and got out while checking for traffic. *We were smack dab in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in town. *I walked around the front of my van to find an hysterical young girl in the driver's seat of the other car, and a younger boy in the passenger seat. She was crying, almost hyperventilating, but managed to blurt out, taking a gulp of air between ever second or third word, "I'm so sorry, this is my mother's car and I just got my license. *I don't know what to do. *Should I call my Mom?"

I reached into my pocket as I told her to calm down and pulled out my cell phone. *"Are either of you hurt?"

"No," came the response, followed by more tears and apologies.

"Call your Mom," I replied. * "I'll call the police."

After I told the dispatcher what had happened, the girl, starting to regain some of her composure, said that her phone had died, and asked to borrow mine. *As I handed her my phone, the tears started again, and I tried to reassure her that no one was hurt and the cars could be repaired. *As I started to turn to get back into my car, two ladies approached from opposite directions, both saying they had seen everything and asked if there was anything they could do. *I asked them to wait in their cars, and that as soon as the police got there, I would send them over to take statements, thanking these good Samaritans as they turned around and went to their cars.

As I sat there for what seemed to be an eternity, waiting for the police to arrive, I wondered which cop it would be, what their reaction to my attire would be, and how I should respond. *Looking back now, I'm surprised at how calm I was, debating if I should take out my forms, wondering how much of a beard shadow I had since I hadn't shaved since early this morning. *There was no getting around the fact that I was wearing a skirt, and my purple toenails could not be hidden in my pink flip flops.

When the cop walked up to my window, I was a bit relieved to see that it was a new guy that I did not know, and as far as I know, he did not know me. *He treated me with respect, never glancing twice at the way I was dressed, even when I got out of the car to look at the damage to make sure that the van could be driven. * After talking to the other driver and getting the info from my license and insurance card, he advised me that I would not be cited, that the other driver was at fault, and that I could leave. *No muss or fuss.

This all happened a few months ago, and so far, it appears that I’ve not been outed and none of this has made it to the fire department, and nothing else negative has developed. *My wife (who knows and is supportive) was out of town for the week, and after I told her about the incident on the phone, she said that she was quite apprehensive about me possibly being outed. But nothing else has happened.

Stephenie S
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
You could carry a set of coveralls in your trunk which would allow you to change a tire or try to diagnose a problem without ruining your Sunday best.

S

Chickhe
10-04-2010, 11:00 AM
If the new guy said anything, you just say it is part of your diversity training... walk a mile in their shoes...

I think what you are saying, is you have no chance to change and you just have to deal with it as you are. But, suppose you were required to go down to the station to make a statement?...would you not prefer to change first? You could go dressed and if you do, the best way is to have an attitude like it is no big deal and just laugh with anyone who sees you....feeling shame and hiding is not going to work. If anyone asks later, you just say with confidence, "yup, that was me!...I must have shocked everyone with my getup, did they tell you I was crazy? hahaha".

ChastityInFemme
10-04-2010, 12:17 PM
5 years ago I was in a friends car and he rolled it. I broke my neck and am now a quadriplegic. Once cold weather hit that year I started shaving my legs, along with the rest of my body. Luckily my toenails weren't painted when my accident happened, but my parents did ask why my legs were shaved. I just played it off like I was curious. What was awkward was when I had to have my mom get rid of a pair of high heel pumps and pantyhose that were in a car I was selling. I had to get rid of them before the car sold. What stinks is that after the few years of being paralyzed I found out I'm capable enough I could've done that on my own.

RADER
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
You could always use the old line " I lost the Bet"
At least you would only have to make up the Bet. Rader

AllieSF
10-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Yes, I agree that in an accident you probably would not have time to do a quick change, I also like the idea of coveralls that could be put on over everything when time permitted. However, I still think that it is a good idea to have a change of clothes (or coveralls when appropriate) if the car breaks down, you need to change a tire or get out and walk to the nearest place for gasoline or to find a phone. You just never know and more comfortable clothes and shoes just might save the day or evening.

By the way, did anyone that you know ever find out about your accident en femme? Thanks for the enlightening story.

Persephone
10-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Thank you for a wonderful post, Roberta Marie!

I completely agree with your view, and, except for rare occasions when I've deliberately planned on changing for some reason, I never carry a "backup kit" in my car. I can't imagine myself changing into drab and changing a tire, instead I'd ask "WWGGD?" -- What would a GG do? and act accordingly.

I admire your calm courage under difficult conditions! You were obviously cool and competent when you faced emergencies were with the department and you are cool and competent now!

Great post!

Butterfly Bill
10-04-2010, 01:16 PM
You could carry a set of coveralls in your trunk which would allow you to change a tire or try to diagnose a problem without ruining your Sunday best.

That's exactly what I do. It's easy to change from something with a skirt into trousers without showing anybody anything.

I have survived running into a door being opened and nicking it, while pulling into the next parking space, then waiting a half an hour for the cops to show up while I could see he was noticing the floral print dress I had on but not saying anything.

dilane
10-04-2010, 02:10 PM
I've had a few little fender benders while dressed (over the last 4 years, I've had three, none my fault, and all while dressed!!).

By now I'm an old pro :)

I just behave normally and politely. Two of the people read me (I had to present my male driver's licence), and one didn't and called me ma'am several times :) Zero problems dealing with the insurance companies. I didn't mention how I was dressed, and neither did any of the people I interacted with after the accidents.

AKAMichelle
10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
I have had one fender bender dressed and right in front of a cop. Luckily I didn't have a problem but the best advice would be to just own the look and say yes I am a cd'er. Go from there.

alyssaenglefield
10-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm with the AA (the Automobile Association AA, not the other one), so I get six free roadside assistance callouts a year, no matter what vehicle or car seat I'm in. Just have to remember to carry my AA card with you, and a phone. That's for things like flat batteries, flat tires, locked out, out of petrol (you have to pay for the petrol though).

Diane Smith
10-05-2010, 12:05 AM
You're correct that carrying a "crash bag" of male clothes probably won't help much in the event of a true accident or emergency on the road. However, there's also the possibility of pulling over due to a mechanical problem, bad weather, flat tire, or other circumstance where there are no critical life-or-death issues and there may be a little more time before the authorities arrive (or you have to summon someone). These more minor incidents seem to be even more common than collisions or other major trauma in my driving experience, and in those cases, being able to change into some flat shoes and overalls may help you deal with the situation more easily. I'd probably still be outed because of my long nails and usual makeup, but at least I can be wearing appropriate shoes to fix a flat!

- Diane