PDA

View Full Version : Donating Blood.

BreenaDion
10-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I just contacted American Red Cross and asked if I could donate blood. Then I was quick to point out I take medications. She gave me a 1-866 number to call an see if this medication was exceptable. So I did call and gave a list of medication and told her I am A M2F Transsexual . They asked me 2 questions and I checked out ok. I then recalled the first number and got an appointment at my local hospital . That is just a few days away.

Question: Have any one here donated blood before while on HRT ? I am 56 an never did so I know donating helps to clean your blood by making new fresh blood. My last blood test came back fine . Best ive been in dacades, so I want to do the right thing.

Breena

StaceyJane
10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
While I was in the army I went to a special school to learn how to run a blood donor center. I never did much work collecting blood but I have a lot of experience issuing it for transfusion.
I can't donate blood in the U.S. because I lived in Europe for two years during the mid 90's and could possibly be exposed to mad cow disease.

Thank You for doing a really great service.

Stephenie S
10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Unfortunately, the American Red Cross is still in the dark ages as far as qualifying donors. If there is ANY indication that you may be gay, you will be disqualified.

Interestingly enough, this does NOT apply to women.

Stephie

CharleneT
10-04-2010, 12:45 PM
The only HRT drug I know of that will disqualify you is Avodart. I'm not sure about Proscar/Propecia, likely they are also a no-no.

Persephone
10-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Thank you for being a blood donor, Breena! It is a wonderful thing to do.

There is an American Red Cross published list of medications that can effect your donation status and you can find it by clicking here (http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic).

Proscar, Propecia, and finasteride are on the list, as are a number of other meds.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Kokoro
10-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I can't see how HRT medication would have an effect on whether you qualify to donate blood, though as Stephanie S said, the American Red cross is rather more strict than other countries when it comes to blood donation.

It does raise a question though. As blood carries all natural hormones as well as the necessary cells, plasma, oxygen, nutrients etc. then if someone were to have a blood transfusion logic would suggest that it would elevate the hormone levels of the recipient to be in line with the that of the donors. So a male may receive estrogen if in a transfusion if the blood originally came from a female. As far as I'm aware, blood donation isn't sex-based so I wonder what effects, if any there would be if someone was to have a rather large blood transfusion.

CharleneT
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I can't see how HRT medication would have an effect on whether you qualify to donate blood, though as Stephanie S said, the American Red cross is rather more strict than other countries when it comes to blood donation.
. . .

Avodart is very dangerous for pregnant women, that is why. If you look at a bottle, it even says that pregnant women - or - women who might become pregnant, should not even handle the pills. The warning goes on to say:

"Do not donate blood while taking Avodart and for at least 6 months after your treatment ends. Avodart can be carried in the blood and could cause birth defects if a pregnant women receives a transfusion with blood that contains dutasteride."

Kokoro
10-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Ah, I completely forgot about the blockers. Was only thinking about the estrogens and androgens.

My bad. :sad:

StaceyJane
10-05-2010, 01:46 PM
It does raise a question though. As blood carries all natural hormones as well as the necessary cells, plasma, oxygen, nutrients etc. then if someone were to have a blood transfusion logic would suggest that it would elevate the hormone levels of the recipient to be in line with the that of the donors. So a male may receive estrogen if in a transfusion if the blood originally came from a female. As far as I'm aware, blood donation isn't sex-based so I wonder what effects, if any there would be if someone was to have a rather large blood transfusion.

Well, blood donation isn't sex based so most likely any blood from a large donation would come from both males and females. Unless the blood came from a military source in which it would probably be from mainly males.
Hormones would not have much of an effect even if you got a large transfusion because it would not be a steady supply. If a male were to receive the dose of HRT medicine that a TS takes but only one time it would not have an effect. For change to take place there would have to be a constant level achieved. Also blood from GG would not have androgen blockers in it.

pamela_a
10-05-2010, 02:12 PM
They are very particular about the medications you are taking as they can cause severe reactions to the recipient. I've donated blood my whole life and only recently was I denied because of a surgical procedure I'd had recently. The only thing unique about that experience was, after explaining to the screener that I was TS and had just started full time, she had me answer the questions for male and female donors.

Katesback
10-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I tried to give blood a year ago. I could easily have told them I was female and be done with it. For fun I told them I was post-op transsexual. When they asked if I ever had sex with men I said yes but only after surgery. I was blackballed. Apparently I fit into the GAY male catagory. Go figure.

KAtie

GaleWarning
10-09-2010, 02:46 PM
With the American penchant for suing anybody and everybody, I am not surprised that the Red Cross is ultra-careful.
I, myself, am no longer a blood donor ... seems they think I have Mad Cow Disease from living in the UK in the 1980s.

Stephanie-L
10-10-2010, 09:53 AM
As a Nurse practicioner who administers lots of blood and blood products I have to agree with the US "over protectiveness" as it applies to blood donors. I would personally hate to have given someone an incurable disease when it is avoidable. I am not talking only about AIDS here, but also hepatitis B and C, mad cow, and others. Some of these do not have a reliable blood test, and others, especially the hepatitis, can come back as negative after several years, even though the person still carries the virus. Since these diseases can't be tested for with confidence, it is only resonable to eliminate anyone who might be in a higher risk population for transmitting one of them. I realize that certain populations may feel that this is politically motivated, i.e. gays, but it is not. It simply is the numbers, statistics show gay men are more likely to have HIV and hepatitis. This is due to a small subset of gay men having promiscuous unprotected sex, not all of them, just the subset.
My sister was given hepatitis C from a blood transfusion which she received before testing was implemented. She had to go through months of expensive and painful treatment before she was "free" of the disease. She still has liver damage and a much higher chance to have liver cancer. If that can be avoided by using a questionaire it should be.
As to the drugs you take, as several have posted, yes some of the T blockers can cause problems in a recipient. I have seen recipients have an allergic reaction to a food the donor ate before donating, so I would not be surprised at all to reactions from even tiny doses of such medications.
So, all that said, if you are turned down for blood donation, please remember, it is not personal, not an attack on your lifestyle, just playing it safe. And if you can donate, please do. I just got a notice that there is a current shortage of O neg blood, which is known as the universal donar type. Thank you all to those who do donate..........Stephanie