PDA

View Full Version : At what price---VANITY?

docrobbysherry
10-10-2010, 12:07 AM
I wonder, how much r u willing to suffer in order to look good?:doh:

I usually don't worry about wearing uncomfortable clothes and shaping gear. Or painful, wobbly shoes, etc. Because I don't wear anything for very long dressing at home!

However, I'm planning an evening out to Disneyland next week! And, I'm trying to decide between some REALLY CUTE spike heeled shoes, or some clunky, wide heeled, but comfortable, boots. After 6 hours walking around on those spikes, my feet probably will be in PAIN or worse! I could easily twist an ankle in those bad girls!:sad:
Of course, I'll LOOK GOOD doing it!:D Which pair would U wear?

What do u do, or have u done, that was painful and/or uncomfortable, just so you would LOOK GOOD!?:heehee:

Joni T
10-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Doc,
R U going to Mickey's Halloween Haunt?? Sounds like fun. Wish I could go. Wear the shoes with the clunky heel. Your feet will like you a lot better. Stilettos are not for walking around in for any length of time.
Joni

Persephone
10-10-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm a true believer in Il faut souffrir pour être belle (one must suffer to be beautiful), but everything has its place, so you're probably better off with comfortable walking shoes, Sherry.

Very few women wear high heels to theme parks. If you do decide to wear them anyway, you might want to get these new little "exit shoes" from Dr. Scholl's, called "Fast Flats." Tiny foldable flats that come with a little carrying case.

From the Dr. Scholl's website (click here) (http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/forher.jsp):

Hey Ladies,

Dr. Scholl's For Her
Now your feet will look and feel fabulous, so you can feel fabulous

We know you love those fabulous heels, but let's face it - after a while, enough is enough!
New Dr. Scholl's For Her® Fast Flats™ are here! These foldable, rollable, and (of course) stylish flats are so compact, you can carry them with you wherever you go!

Foldable flats with stylish wristlet included. Perfect for:

* Nights out
* Celebrations
* The daily commute

Available in 3 sizes. Find them in the footcare aisle.

(I saw them at a local WalMart for $9.97).

Have fun!

Oh, and to answer your question, "What do u do, or have u done, that was painful and/or uncomfortable, just so you would LOOK GOOD!?"

Too much! Probably can't tell it all here! :)

Once, when I was out with a guy friend, I wore a pair of super-high stilettos that were very tight, but they looked really cute and sexy. I was glad that after a while my toes went numb so my shoes hardly hurt at all, but I think I developed a Morton's Neuroma that resulted in permanent nerve damage.

Another time I was flying to San Francisco for a Victorian fashion event (I was co-chair of the Lacing Table event in S.F. for over a decade) and I left the house so tightly laced that I came right to the edge of fainting in the airport before the flight. I was already seeing the pretty little black spots in front of my eyes and they were getting larger and larger. I was finally able to get out of my corset and actually draw a breath just before the plane took off.

You know, nothing really out of the ordinary.

Hugs,
Persephone.

PretzelGirl
10-10-2010, 08:25 AM
I suffer enough for looking bad when I look in the mirror, I wouldn't want to know how much I would suffer to look good.

Take the wider heels. I would bow to the woman that can do Disneyland in stillettos and not need constant breaks and still end up regretting it later. There is suffering for beauty and there is insanity. I would classify doing Disneyland in spikes as insanity (but we are all a little insane I would guess).

Stephanie Miller
10-10-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm all for the "no pain - no gain" part of looking good, but there are times one must blur the lines. You obviously have not tried running from Space Mountain to Star Tours in heels! If you take the time to rub your feet just one time.... 300 snotnosed little kids get in line before you. :doh:
I have a pair of cute shoes that I sometimes wear playing tennis, that have pink stripes and pink laces. Pair those with something like a jean skirt and a tank that has lots of bling. Save the heels for dinner afterwards.

Frédérique
10-10-2010, 10:13 AM
What do u do, or have u done, that was painful and/or uncomfortable, just so you would LOOK GOOD!?

I’ve done it all, darling...

I’ve nearly frozen from being inadequately dressed in the middle of winter, but I didn’t notice it until I changed back into male mode. You mention the shoe horrors, but I must say I ignore the pain or discomfort – just knowing I’m en femme seems to make me impervious, as if by magic. Imagine wanting to do this on purpose! The fact is, I’m so comfortable wearing a skirt, or a dress, not to mention the unmentionables, that I’ll do whatever it takes to please the spirit of the dress...

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. OUCH! That feels good...:battingeyelashes:

carhill2mn
10-10-2010, 02:27 PM
INHO wearing spike heels to Disneyland is not a good idea for several reasons. The boots are a better choice.

docrobbysherry
10-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Thank u for all the great advice, girls! I KNEW wearing 4"+ spike heels to Disneyland could be a HUGE mistake! After all, Disneyland means, "Lots and lots of walking!"!:brolleyes:

However, when push came to shove, I just couldn't compromise my look! After all, shoes r pretty important to the "Cinderella" story!:eek:
So, I wore the heels and carried ballet flats in my purse! Just in case!:)

I think the high of being out dressed trumped my foot pain.:heehee: Rite up to the time I left. Walking all over the Park for 3 1/2 hours took it's toll!:sad:
But, the thot of ruining my costume for my young "fans" made me keep the heels on! And, that included over another half mile to get out of the Park and back to my far distant car!:doh:

At which point, I couldn't wait to get those puppies OFF!:D
I walked a little funny today. But, except for losing a bit of skin off the top of one toe, I'm OK!:thumbsup:
Was it worth the pain? YES!!!:devil:

VanessaVW
10-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm all for the "no pain - no gain" part of looking good, but there are times one must blur the lines. You obviously have not tried running from Space Mountain to Star Tours in heels! If you take the time to rub your feet just one time.... 300 snotnosed little kids get in line before you. :doh:
I have a pair of cute shoes that I sometimes wear playing tennis, that have pink stripes and pink laces. Pair those with something like a jean skirt and a tank that has lots of bling. Save the heels for dinner afterwards.

Sorry if I hijack this thread, but didn't they close down StarTours about two months ago?
As far as shoes, go for comfort. Doc, are you also going to California Adventure?

BLUE ORCHID
10-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi Doc, Nobody ever said that being a lady was going to be easy.

Orchid

docrobbysherry
10-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Sorry if I hijack this thread, but didn't they close down StarTours about two months ago?
As far as shoes, go for comfort. Doc, are you also going to California Adventure?

Yes, Vanessa, Star Tours was closed. The other girls discussed how it was going "digital"!? No clue what that means!
I must have walked nearly five miles in those heels at Dis-Land last nite! I can't imagine adding Calif Adven to the evening! Besides, we couldn't get in until 6:00pm. And the parks closed at 11:00. So, not enuff time anyway!