PDA

View Full Version : HRT / SRS Considerations

Feather
10-11-2010, 12:01 AM
My question is; because this is something I've considered for awhile. Yet it feels like a big step, mostly I'm worried how my family would react, I can't even begin to imagine how my little siblings would react as I think they're way too young to even understand what would happen (they're 4 & 5 years old respectively).

My question though is; how big of a difference does age play on HRT results/effectiveness? It feels like I'm in an age where I either have to do decide if I should go through with this or not, since I've heard starting shortly after puberty gives the best results, at the same time it's a big decision so I would still like to wait and go on living as a woman for awhile before I decide.

Veronica_Jean
10-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Feather,

Results vary from person to person, but in general HRT tends to be more effective the earlier you start. That is not to say that at age 25 or 30 is too late. I started at age 54 and I can't complain about the results.

I can't tell from what you said if you are an FTM or MTF, so it is difficult to comment on living as a woman. I would say though that any HRT will result in permanent changes over time, so it is a step not taken lightly.

Family is always a challenge since most do not have any information and don't quite know how to react to the changes. The young ones tend to acclimate and I have grandchildren ages 3 and 5 that have seen me change over the last couple of years. They are doing quite well.

Therapy can be a big help to many as long as you find a qualified person in regards to trans issues. Sometimes that too can be a challenge.

Veronica

Melody Moore
10-11-2010, 12:57 AM
I personally think if your children are younger, then its much easier, I know this from a friend of mine who has 3
kids aged 6, 7 and 15, the biggest problem there is the 15 year old while the younger kids have no issue with it.

I also agree with what Veronica says about what age to start at.... Ive started at 47 years old and been on hormones for 2 months and already
there are quite significant changes. But I do have some regrets about not starting sooner in my life, but Im really glad that I'm finally transitioning now.

kellycan27
10-11-2010, 01:43 AM
19 is an excellent age to start HRT provided it's what you really want to do. See a gender therapist if you are seriously considering transition. i am 28 and have been on hormones for just over four years now, and they have done a pretty nice job.. While I didn't see any significant changes at 2 month, they did come eventually.
On living as a woman 24/7... It's a very good alternative to rushing into HRT. I began living full time at age 20. It was a great opportunity to gauge how I might do living as a woman.
I got to know myself, found employment, my own place, and spent a lot of time up close and personal in and around the mainstream people and places that would become Kelly's world. I took the time to make a plan for my transition. It was what you might call a self imposed RLE. By the time i did start HRT I was very comfortable with my self, social situations, employment situations, and being out in public. Being a woman is something that is in you head and heart, not what's on your chest or in your panties. there is really a lot to think about before you begin to medically transition. It's not an easy life by any means, and it's expensive as hell, monetarily, and personally. Acceptance by family members is always a carp shoot, nobody knows how others will react. As someone else mentioned, the two younger siblings may be better, the older one, you never know.
take it slow and think it out . one more note on HRT. contact some of the girls who have been on them for a number of years. they can give you a better idea of what they have actually experienced rather than people who give advice on things that they have read or heard. All the luck!

Kelly

Kelly

Jorja
10-11-2010, 04:12 AM
I think Kelly pretty much covered it. The earlier you start HRT the better. It really depends on your body. I know girls that have started in thier 20s 30s 40s and 50s that have attained execllent results. I was recently talking with one young lady of 83 that had just started HRT last week. You might want to go to http://www.tsroadmap.com/index.html and learn how to set up a roadmap for your transition. As for telling family, well good luck there. Some will be supportive, some will not. As already said, the younger children won't have much problem with it. The older ones may or may not depending how open minded they are.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope the best for you

Feather
10-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Okay, so I contacted the local health care here and hopefully I will get referred to an investigation soon enough. If all checks out ok I can get started on HRT in about 1 year so that means when I'm around 20, possibly earlier if I have a good reason.

As for mental preparations and stuff; I can't really say much, this feels huge, and I do feel like I need to mentally prepare more, these last days I've really been thinking a lot about it though.