PDA

View Full Version : What a day, so much love & too much hate

Kendra08
10-12-2010, 12:03 AM
So Sunday was my friends wedding and it was amazing. The brides looked beautiful and you could feel the love among everyone there. I did get to spend a good portion of the day enfemme and that included a pub crawl through Somerville, MA. For the most part everyone we came across was amazing including the Fire Dept. that allowed us to take pictures inside and on the trucks.
Now to the horrible part of the evening. This was a lesbian wedding so there were a lot of lesbian couples there, me with my new girlfriend and a few others. We went to a bar called Sligo and they refused to serve any of us. I was flat out told I couldn't have a drink there and had to leave along with the rest of the party. The bartender called the police, shut off the tv's & music, turned on all the lights and pointed us out to the other patrons and made it known we weren't wanted there. The police showed up & asked us to just go somewhere else. They were really nice about it and seemed a little ticked off that they were called for this reason. So we moved on and the rest of the evening was amazing. This was the first time I have ever had to deal with homo/trans-phobia on a peersonal level and I was shocked and really let down. I guess I was blind to the reality of what so many people deal with on a regular basis. I can say now though that I am happy it happened, it helped open my eyes and I didn't even realize they were closed before that. The next morning someone spray-painted "Homo" on a car outside of the house where the reception was. The owner of the car wasn't even a guest, just parked in the wrong place.
All in all it was a great day and I'm so happy for Seana & Lee. I met some new people & was able to be with some good friends that I've been missing. It's just unfortunate that in 2010, in "liberal" Massachusetts, that we had to deal with that ignorance.

Marissa
10-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Kendra, thank you for sharing both of your experiences of what should have been a great day for all from beginning to end. At least you were able to enjoy most of day as you stated with friends..and knew friends.

Even though you had to experience the ugly side of some folks, again, it is something that you now know up front and it was done without physical conflict. "Reserve the right to refuse service" business rights to use any excuse.. unfortunately.. Sorry you had to endure that.

Again, I'm happy that you had some good moments from the wedding..

Thank you again for sharing..

Hugs,
Marissa

Julogden
10-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Is that legal in Massachusetts? I know there's been some bad reactions to legalizing gay marriage in Massachusetts, guess you ran into a bar-owner who is one of those who is an opponent of gay marriage. I'm surprised that they could legally have your group removed from the bar.

And yet there are those (even among us, if you can fathom that) who insist that laws prohibiting gender identity and sexual identity-based discrimination aren't needed. Hopefully from your story, they can see that we do indeed need legal protections in order to live our lives the same as anyone else.

Carol

KarenCDFL
10-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Though responses like this should not "amaze" any of us here anymore, they still do to some extent.

Whether it is a lesbian wedding or a jailed Chinese dissident getting the Nobel Peace Prize, What the hell are those people who hate so scared about?