PDA

View Full Version : First time flying/Joined the flying club

Claire Cook
10-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Good morning everyone,

This morning I'm going to join the Flying Pretty club. I leave for the airport in less than n hour, and my wife will drop me off. I'd already talked with the Delta and TSA folks in Melbourne, and they were cool with it. I'll keep you posted!

Claire

Edwina
10-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Hi Claire
Go well! (South African wish to a traveller)
Have a good flight and a wonderful time Down Under.
Please tell us all about it and don't forget the photos.:D
Edwina

boardpuppy
10-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Morning Claire, well its morning for me, hehe. Although, I was very bad and didn't take pictures flying Pretty is the only was to go. I hope you enjoy your flight.

Hugs,
Alice

AKAMichelle
10-12-2010, 07:25 AM
It will be an experience which you never forget and want repeated over and over again. Have fun

Claire Cook
10-13-2010, 05:29 AM
Thanks for all of the good wishes! Yes I survived, yes it was a kick and I will post details.

Maria in heels
10-13-2010, 06:16 AM
I can't wait to hear all about it !

AKAMichelle
10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
We are waiting and hopefully you took some pictures.

Claire Cook
10-15-2010, 09:01 PM
My apologies for the L O N G post, but I hope you enjoy my first (and certainly not last!) flying adventure. So before I start, my thanks to Kim, Meg, Michelle and everyone else who encourages us to fly pretty! (Kimberley Huddle, you are such a great model for these posts … umm, maybe even with regard to length! )

As noted in my previous post, I am committed to flying pretty (this is on Tuesday). After last minute packing and housework, I rushed to dress – white long sleeve Rafella blouse, jeans, white sneakers .. makeup of course and my Hillary straight bob wig. Do I have everything? Sue and I are driving to the Melbourne airport. She has been great and very cool about this, even though she has a big meeting after I’m dropped off and she’s probably worried that I’ll have some hassles. Oops! I realize that I forgot my jacket. Oh well, it’s supposed to warm in DC. (Yes I’m nervous, and my Secret antiperspirant could be more effective...) The drive to MLB was a bit tense, since we are cutting it close for her meeting. So a hurried goodbye hug, and here I am.

The Delta person at the door said “No need to rush -- take your time” (I have 2 hours until the flight left). How sweet of him – that helped calm the nerves a bit. Now, is my wig straight and antiperspirant working? What is going to go wrong? I’m the only one here, so up to the counter I go. In a previous post I had done a “checkout” asking about flying dressed (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?137792-Delta-and-flying-pretty&highlight=). Neither of the ladies whom I’d spoken with earlier were there, so the guy at the desk said “Good morning, can I help you?” OK here goes. He didn’t bat an eye when he checked my passport and checked me in .. ”One bag to Washington Reagan please.” “Done – have a good flight!” ”Thanks, I intend to!” :) Well, all the nerves from the drive and anticipation had got to my system, so off to the ladies’ room. I’m the only one there, so I take my time, check makeup and wig, take a deep breath …and off to TSA. Absolutely no problem with ID. In fact, the TSA agent who checked my ID asked me if I really wanted to go through now, since I had more than an hour to boarding and there was no one else in the gate area. I thanked him, but needed to do some work online (and start this post) so would take advantage of the empty “Laptop Lane”. BEEP goes the scanner as I go through (UH-OH, my underwires!) – nope, my belt. Then they want to go through my computer bag. After the search I realized I’d forgotten to get my belt and sunglasses. One of the agents had them – the lady behind me thought they were her husband’s. (He’d look cute in those sunglasses.) So here is a phone photo of uptight Claire working at her laptop and wondering how the day will go. Can’t the girl relax and smile?

The waiting room is filling up, and they announce that the flight is overbooked. :sad: This will be the first of two flights that will be full. My e-mail work done, I head toward the boarding line. I think I’m getting some stares and the worries about being read set in. (Girl, relax: why do you care? If you’re comfortable and confident, then others will be.) When people realize that we aren’t freaks or perverts, we will be on our way to, if not acceptance, at least tolerance. So I fall back on one of the things I enjoy most about being dressed: getting the eyes of other ladies and chatting. OK, the incoming flight is late, but I’m finally in the boarding line next to two other middle-aged ladies, and one is commenting about where she had bought the top she was wearing. I get her eye and say that it is really cute (it had butterflies front and back – not my style, but very Florida retiree). That broke the ice, and their GG smiles relaxed me immediately. I fly Delta Medallion so can board early (no upgrades today) and it’s a good thing. The GG next to me also boarded early. I catch her eye and smile, and she says “I didn’t get upgraded either … damn!” I ask her where she is going and she’s off to Las Vegas “A conference, not for fun.” “ Surely you can find some time for fun in Vegas.”

They have overbooked the flight, they are running late and then announce “We have no more space in the overhead compartments. You will have to check any carryon’s .” There is still a line waiting to be seated, and that announcement was not received with joy. So much for the $25 baggage check charge. It isn’t even winter, when heavy coats and other stuff add to the overhead cram. So we are ten minutes’ late getting to the runway, and the pilot comes over the PA: “Well folks, they must be busy in Atlanta and we’ve missed our window; we’ll have to wait another 30 minutes for clearance.” I look at my companion, and she says “Great, I’ve got a 35 minute connection.” We are finally in the air, and I’m starting to relax a bit more. I’m In the middle seat with a guy on the other side, and I start chatting him up about his Kindle (both of my row-mates are using them). As soon as I start talking with people I find I’m less self conscious and more relaxed. Hopefully they are too. Somehow the pilot makes up the lost time and we get in only a few minutes’ behind schedule. My companion says “I think I’m going to make my connection.” “Go for it, girl!” (we’ve been chatting off and on all through the flight).

I have lots of time for my connecting flight, but first things first. My thoughts are centered on my burgeoning bladder. The ladies’ room. I’ve seen the lines that can form there at airports, and I’m hoping that’s not the case. It isn’t, but the first stall I enter doesn’t have a door .. (that won’t do!). So I take my time, get everything taken care of (and readjusted) and I’m set. One thing I notice about the ladies’ rooms in the Atlanta airport; they have this long shelf with a continuous mirror above it. Just the place for a quick fixup! (And my upper lip needs it…) I feel great!! :battingeyelashes:

Lunchtime. The fast food concessions at ATL – they aren’t exactly targeting diet-conscious women. So as I’m checking out the wall menus, I see that Domino’s pizza has yogurt, granola and strawberries for 2.75. Perfect! I see a table with a girl by herself and join her. In guy mode I would never do that. She looks up, smiles, I return it. So very cool. Then another girl passes me and asks “Where did you find that yogurt?” “You won’t believe it, but Domino’s pizza.” After my table mate leaves, an elderly lady asks if she can join me (table for four) – there are no empty tables. “Of course, please do.” Again, I don’t think that would happen if I weren’t en femme.

Second flight to DCA and guess what. They’ve oversold this one too, and go through the same routine about not having enough overhead space for carry-ons. This time I’m seated between two GG’s. One of them, in her 20’s, is clearly a business type and is beautifully made up. (I’ll have to watch to see how she touches up her makeup.) We immediately start chatting; she’s from central CA and has already been through the San Jose and Tucson airports.. She is checking her Blackberry and comments that her phone is never jet-lagged .. why couldn’t she be more like that? The other lady in my row is middle aged, and I’m guessing from the Midwest. She’s already had to go back about 20 rows to find a place for her carry-on. I have difficulty making eye contact with her and starting up a conversation – but my other companion makes up for that. When the flight attendant asked me if I wanted something to drink: “Err, (Pause) ma’am, what would you like to drink?” “Cranapple” she says brightly, with a nice smile in return. We have a hot landing – the pilot really had to hit the brakes – and I look at both of my companions and we all have this relieved look on our faces. I thank the flight attendant with a big smile as I leave the plane, and try not to get too lost in a pink cloud as I make my way to the baggage claim area.

So I take the DC Metro home. This is only my second time on the Metro dressed, and again no worries. It’s rush hour, the cars are crowded, and everyone seems absorbed in getting home. I’m standing with my luggage, and at one point a seat near me opens up. An oriental girl next to me says (in deference to a middle-aged lady?) “Wouldn’t you like to sit down?” “No, thank you – I have all this luggage. But please take the seat.” Back to the apartment. Downstairs to check the mail. Mimi, our lovely day front desk receptionist, is holding the elevator for me.( She knows about Claire): “You look lovely today.”. (How sweet!) “Mimi, thanks so much… I’ve been dealing with airports all day.” (I’m still on a 30,000 ft high!)

All in all, a day I won’t forget. General reactions: a TRIP indeed. I encountered no problems, other than trying to stay relaxed, and not doing things too quickly. The hassles with flying on full flights – and the worries about what people next to me would think – added to the adrenalin levels. But next time I will be less worried, less concerned about me and start to appreciate others more. I can’t wait!:battingeyelashes: :c9:

VS Fan
10-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing! I think it will be a LOOONG time before I get the guts to do it myself, but I hope to some day :)

VS Fan

TommyII
10-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow, I guess we are all imaginating things to be far worse than they are. Thank you for plowing ground for us to follow.

Edwina
10-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Silly me, here I was thinking Melbourne Australia.:D
Great story Claire. I am glad you had a good time up there.

Edwina

VickyMI
10-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Great post. Thanks for sharing. I am still surprised with all the concern TSA has for security that they let someone get on the plane that does not match their picture ID. Flying enfemme is on my list of to dos but I am very afraid of the stares or questions I might get from TSA and someone sitting next to me.

Well done Claire! You inspire me.

boardpuppy
10-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Great, I enjoy reading fem flying pretty adventures. I can't wait for my next flight but alas I think its going to be awhile, no where to go in the near future.

Hugs,
Alice

Claire Cook
10-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Silly me, here I was thinking Melbourne Australia.:D
Great story Claire. I am glad you had a good time up there.

Edwina

Thanks for the compliment -- and I wish it had been Down under!

Take care!

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing! I think it will be a LOOONG time before I get the guts to do it myself, but I hope to some day :)

VS Fan

Well, it only took me, let's see, how many years? -- to get up the nerve to do it!

Wow, I guess we are all imaginating things to be far worse than they are. Thank you for plowing ground for us to follow.

I'm just following the plow line them others have started!

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I am still surprised with all the concern TSA has for security that they let someone get on the plane that does not match their picture ID. Flying enfemme is on my list of to dos but I am very afraid of the stares or questions I might get from TSA and someone sitting next to me.

Well done Claire! You inspire me.

Thanks Vicki! The ease with which theID business went surprised me too, but there have been numerous posts about this. Maybe I looked too much like the photo on my passport......

LeannL
10-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Claire,

My daughter's name is Claire - a beautiful name.

Congratulations on joining the club. I suspect that you will dread the times that you can't fly pretty. Once you get over the original nervousness, it just feels natural. So the next time you need to fly, Go For It Girl!

Tommy, you said:

If you didn't catch it, I started a thread about why flying en femme isn't as extremely daring as some think. Of course I am not trying to diminish the accomplishments of Claire and the rest of us who have flown since that first step is a huge step and only in retrospect do we realize that how easy it was. If you care to follow my arguments here is the link. The thread was meant only to encourage those who just need a little nudge to do it.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?138745-Is-Flying-Pretty-Brave&highlight=

Again Claire, Congratulations! :cheer: :clap:

Leann

PS. Wish me luck as I will be flying pretty next week.

AKAMichelle
10-16-2010, 11:17 AM
The one thing I hate about flying dressed is that I end up stressed getting to the gate on time. Each time I get in the seat at the gate and start having a hot flash of sorts and sweat. then I get neverous about my makeup running. Such a vicious cycle that I can't stop. But no matter how nervous you are to begin, you do calm down once on the plane. It is not nearly as scary as some think. The flight was very enjoyable and I had a good time doing it.

congratulations on joining the club. I wish they had a trophy or sometime but they don't. That picture of you flying will have to do. I have a flight at the end of this month and I am considering flying dressed again. It depends upon where I am going to stay since I going to meet my son. I will have to let you know if I am able to fly dressed, how many flights it takes before you can fly totally relaxed. :D

Claire Cook
10-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Claire,

My daughter's name is Claire - a beautiful name.

Congratulations on joining the club. I suspect that you will dread the times that you can't fly pretty. Once you get over the original nervousness, it just feels natural. So the next time you need to fly, Go For It Girl!

Tommy, you said:

If you didn't catch it, I started a thread about why flying en femme isn't as extremely daring as some think. Of course I am not trying to diminish the accomplishments of Claire and the rest of us who have flown since that first step is a huge step and only in retrospect do we realize that how easy it was. If you care to follow my arguments here is the link. The thread was meant only to encourage those who just need a little nudge to do it.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?138745-Is-Flying-Pretty-Brave&highlight=

Again Claire, Congratulations! :cheer: :clap:

Leann

PS. Wish me luck as I will be flying pretty next week.

Thanks Leann!

I'd missed your post, and wish I had read it before my trip. It's great advice and puts what airport and airline personnel do in real perspective. I'm glad your daughter's name is Claire; i've taken the name both because it is like my mother's (Clara) and my "other" name.

Have a great flight next week and let us know how it goes!

Michelle_Tokyo
10-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Claire,

Yay, yay, and yay again for you. It is very addictive though. I start making up reasons to fly.

Thank you for sharing and thank you for doing. Each time one of us takes a step I really believe it help another of us. I know I have benefited from the courage of others on this board. It is soooooo wonderful to feel pretty all the time which is effectively what happens flying pretty. Anybody else even remotely considering it, stop considering and start picking out your outfit, it is really easier than it sounds. I did Tokyo/San Francisco round trip a couple weeks ago and will do so again at the end of this month. Oh so much fun.

C'mon gals, let's fly!

Michelle

TxKimberly
10-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Oh so VERY cool and well done Claire! I've got to tell you, I don't have the courage to make international flights. Even after all of the flights I've made, I still get a bit nervous going through security, and more often than not, the first place I go once through security is the bathroom to "freshen up". LOL

LeannL
10-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks Leann!

I'd missed your post, and wish I had read it before my trip. It's great advice and puts what airport and airline personnel do in real perspective. I'm glad your daughter's name is Claire; i've taken the name both because it is like my mother's (Clara) and my "other" name.

Claire,
It is a small world I guess. My grandmother was Clara.
Leann

Claire Cook
10-24-2010, 09:12 AM
The one thing I hate about flying dressed is that I end up stressed getting to the gate on time. Each time I get in the seat at the gate and start having a hot flash of sorts and sweat. then I get neverous about my makeup running. Such a vicious cycle that I can't stop. But no matter how nervous you are to begin, you do calm down once on the plane. It is not nearly as scary as some think. The flight was very enjoyable and I had a good time doing it.

congratulations on joining the club. I wish they had a trophy or sometime but they don't. That picture of you flying will have to do. I have a flight at the end of this month and I am considering flying dressed again. It depends upon where I am going to stay since I going to meet my son. I will have to let you know if I am able to fly dressed, how many flights it takes before you can fly totally relaxed. :D

Michelle, Even in drab I get nervous until I'm in my seat. Worrying about being dressed just adds to the rush. I found my self just wanted to gush and gab -- I was so thankful for my TG flight-mates. Keep us posted if you decide to go for it! :)

Claire,

Yay, yay, and yay again for you. It is very addictive though. I start making up reasons to fly.

Thank you for sharing and thank you for doing. Each time one of us takes a step I really believe it help another of us. I know I have benefited from the courage of others on this board. It is soooooo wonderful to feel pretty all the time which is effectively what happens flying pretty. Anybody else even remotely considering it, stop considering and start picking out your outfit, it is really easier than it sounds. I did Tokyo/San Francisco round trip a couple weeks ago and will do so again at the end of this month. Oh so much fun.

C'mon gals, let's fly!

Michelle

Michelle, if we all looked half as good as you do, we'd have less worries! Yikes, an international flight. I'd worry so about 5 o'clock shadow (or whatever the time zone time is...) Wow, thanks for the good words and more encouragement .. others should definitely try it! :thumbsup:

Oh so VERY cool and well done Claire! I've got to tell you, I don't have the courage to make international flights. Even after all of the flights I've made, I still get a bit nervous going through security, and more often than not, the first place I go once through security is the bathroom to "freshen up". LOL

Geez Kimberly, thank you! And it should be more encouragement to us all that even you get the butterflies (somehow that sounds more relevant than "nerves" or jitters). Thank goodness for ther ladies' room. Actually my wife and I are flying to Hawaii next month and I have this muumuu a student gave me .... should I or shouldn't I.. Well, I know for darn sure I'm going to wear it there! :daydreaming: