PDA

View Full Version : working in fashion, beauty makeup etc..

Daphne Renee
09-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Have you every considered working in the fashion indutry or maybe being a beautian or makeup artist anything like that???

I once was seriously considering a carrer as a professional makeup artist..
I have played around with it a little.. A friend of mine his wife let me do her makeup a couple of times.. She seemed to think I did ok..
I think part of what stoped me was that there was no place around where I lived at the time to learn that. They had a cosmetology school but I really didnt want to do hair..

Debbie Kong
09-07-2005, 04:42 AM
Have you every considered working in the fashion indutry or maybe being a beautian or makeup artist anything like that?

I wish that I had seen the light at an earlier age as I would dearly like to be employed in a cosmetics related job. I also wish that I had followed a fashion design route but I successfully repressed those notions.

Now I feel I am too old for a career change but I urge anyone thinking of it to follow their dreams. Then again, maybe it's not too late for me to be a Mary Kay consultant!

Debbie

Tristen Cox
09-07-2005, 07:28 AM
I would love to be a hair stylist, course all I can do at the moment is cut it but hey. Think big right....MMMM-K'

Maddie Knight
09-07-2005, 03:21 PM
My male friend who has seen me dressed says that i would be good as a makeup artist but as I'm not fully out, I don't think a lot of my friend and family would undersand.

Maude
09-07-2005, 04:10 PM
I would love to be a hair stylist, course all I can do at the moment is cut it but hey. Think big right....MMMM-K'

I tried being a stylist about twenty years ago. lasted two years.
that was the hardest most demanding job i have ever had.
not at all like i envisioned it and i had a friend who owned a shop ?

BE CAREFUL !!!
m

Lauren_T
09-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Many, many times have I thought how wonderful that job could be, but alas, I would have to work on anyone who came through the door, can't pick 'n choose who you get to beautify. :(

Daphne Renee
09-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Thats pretty much sums up what I thought. I have worked with the public for a long time.. I know how ,lets just say not so nice, they can be.
I would consider becoming a makeup artist if there where any place near where I live that would teach you just that. Unfortunatly there is not.
Then there is that working with the public thing again.. LOL

Jodi
09-08-2005, 07:21 PM
As I have previously stated, I have worked part time for both New York & Co and the Limited. It can be a really fun job, but can be quite tiring--being on ones feet for 8 hours (and that is not in heels). Just to get a taste of retail, try singing on at a women's clothing store at Christmas time. Get a taste of what it is like.

I worked the store in drab although both store managers know that I am a cd. I met them shopping in their stores. Do not even attempt to work dressed in drag. It would not fly.

Jodi

Lauren_T
09-08-2005, 07:45 PM
As I have previously stated, I have worked part time for both New York & Co and the Limited. It can be a really fun job, but can be quite tiring--being on ones feet for 8 hours (and that is not in heels). Just to get a taste of retail, try singing on at a women's clothing store at Christmas time. Get a taste of what it is like.

I worked the store in drab although both store managers know that I am a cd. I met them shopping in their stores. Do not even attempt to work dressed in drag. It would not fly.

Jodi

Well, just thought I should mention 'YMMV,' we should remember that in some places (Provincetown, the Village, Key West, West Hollywood, the Haight, &c) it's generally not much of a problem. Y'know, location, location... M•A•C employs CDs and TSes... In certain retail scenarios, I can imagine times when selling en femme would be the smart move... :cool:

Tamara Croft
09-08-2005, 07:52 PM
You didn't specifically state this was a CD question.... so........

Have you every considered working in the fashion industry or maybe being a beautian or makeup artist anything like that???Yes I did, I considered it, trained for 2 years and became a Beauty Therapist/Skin Care Analyst. I did a 2 year college course and also trained with Dermalogica :D