PDA

View Full Version : Negative affects of HRT you have experienced

arbon
10-13-2010, 09:22 AM
I am curious about this because there are always so many dire warnings about HRT when someone asks or says they are considering hormones. But seldom do people share any personal experience with the negative affects of HRT.

So, if anyone is willing, can you share your bad experiences with HRT?

I have not had any directly yet, other having really bad hot flashes one night. Other then that I do know one woman that has had some problems with blood clots (but is unwilling to go off hormones).

Jorja
10-13-2010, 10:25 AM
To date, I have had nothing but positive results from HRT. However, I had a very good endocrinologist that seemed to be meticulous about checking my levels and making adjustments as necessary. I have a few friends who do have problems with blood clots, one with breast cancer, and two who died because they self-medicated thier hormones. They are medication not toys to experiment with.

arbon
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
The two that died - what was the cause of death, if I can ask. Was it overdose, blood clots, cancer or something else?

Jorja
10-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Both had blood clots that started in the lower leg and lodged in the heart.

CharleneT
10-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Hot flashes and mood swings regularly. Severe - and I mean really hurts - leg cramps. The un-quenchable desire, given "men can't live with 'em, can't shot 'em either" to actually shoot a couple of them....:eek:

tanyalynn51
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
To date, I have had nothing but positive results from HRT. However, I had a very good endocrinologist that seemed to be meticulous about checking my levels and making adjustments as necessary. I have a few friends who do have problems with blood clots, one with breast cancer, and two who died because they self-medicated thier hormones. They are medication not toys to experiment with.

Stuff like this is why I never played around with those things. I saw an endo for the first time today, and I have the feeling that Im going to be happy I waited to do it the right way.

gretchen2
10-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Some vision loss, blurred vision, leg cramps, and headaches. I stopped the leg cramps bye switching from Spiro to Androcur which works way better, and the headaches where fixed by using the bio identical estrodiol. Despite the Androcur I do have a doctor.

Traci Elizabeth
10-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Hot flashes and mood swings regularly. Severe - and I mean really hurts - leg cramps. The un-quenchable desire, given "men can't live with 'em, can't shot 'em either" to actually shoot a couple of them....:eek:

I can add to this - easy to cry, hard to stop!!

Melissa A.
10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Ya mean my eyes aren't going because I'm a zillion years old???? :doh:

Hugs,

Melissa:)

Melody Moore
10-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Im much more emotional, not that I wasnt pre-HRT, but I cry over things that wouldn't affect me to that extent before. I also
find myself getting upset over little things and have lots of trouble deciding what Im going to wear when I go out anywhere.
Instead of taking 10 minutes to get ready (showered & dressed) now it takes me well over an hour to do that & put my face on.

Having to go to the doctor a lot more is one other thing I find to be a negative, because I really am over sitting around in Doctor's
waiting rooms for a good half hour or so and this is despite making an appointment - I seem to be wasting so much more of my life
waiting on Doctors when I really do believe that life is for living, not sitting around waiting.

I seem to be wanting to go to the toilet more often because I dont seem to hold my bladder for so long & I have also noticed
that I have had more stomach cramps lately which is something I need to talk to my doctor about when go to see her next week.

Shareecd
10-21-2010, 04:36 PM
A few headaches, leg cramps but mostly emotional. I watched a couple of shows with my wife and cried at the endings. Maybe need to watch more happy shows
Sharee

Jennifer in CO
10-21-2010, 10:00 PM
1st time - back in the late 70's and early 80's - no problems...more or less. 2nd time, about ...don't remember now...year ago?... allergic to the combination of the patch adhesive and the soap I was using. THEN, started having all kinds of wacky blood pressure problems. Doc said it real plainly...you can stop, or you can die...take your pick... So I wisely picked stop. BTW...
Blood pressure problems have not gone away....

Jenn

jessicaheartt09
10-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Most importantly see a doctor for hormones and have regular visits. You do not want to prescribe yourself also a doctor can better regiment them for better effects.

Bree-asaurus
10-22-2010, 01:33 AM
OMG I cry more easily now, but it's nice to have FEELINGS lol!

But I watched Boys Don't Cry and I was bawling! Note to self: don't watch horribly sad movies!

Hope
10-22-2010, 05:37 AM
The two that died - what was the cause of death, if I can ask. Was it overdose, blood clots, cancer or something else?

While I am not on HRT myself (Yet... common... employment... mommy needs a new set of hormones) my mother very effectively killed herself by doing her own HRT and self medicating for menopause... She went to Mexico and got estrogen to help her through her transition (this was in the bad old days before internet pharmacies)... and gave herself cancer in the process. This was a hormone that her body was supposed to have... but in the wrong dose, and in the wrong combination she killed herself. All because she did not want to go to an MD and get the appropriate tests done. One of her oncologists was very frank with me about it - he told me point blank - "If she had seen a physician and been put on just a small amount of progesterone with the estrogen - she would be fine today." My mother wasn't stupid, she had a doctorate (not an MD, but the same level of education in her field) and she knew how to do research... and yet her ignorance killed her.

Hormones are NOT something to play around with. They are incredibly powerful, and with that power comes the ability to both help and to harm. If you are considering (or if you are) self medicating, understand that you are playing with your life, that you are quite literally playing russian roulette. Don't do it. Doctors are not that scary, nor are they that expensive. They are certainly not expensive enough, or so scary that avoiding seeing them is worth your life.

Karen564
10-23-2010, 04:23 PM
I am curious about this because there are always so many dire warnings about HRT when someone asks or says they are considering hormones. But seldom do people share any personal experience with the negative affects of HRT.

So, if anyone is willing, can you share your bad experiences with HRT?

I have not had any directly yet, other having really bad hot flashes one night. Other then that I do know one woman that has had some problems with blood clots (but is unwilling to go off hormones).

I've been on HRT for over 5 years now & have nothing negative to report to you about my own personal experience with it, other than dealing with the hot flashes for a while....I knew full well before I started that it would either kill me or help me...as it turned out, it helped me both mentally & physically...Presently, my body is much more healthier for it..
Unfortunately for a few, it has killed them, & blood clots are the leading cause of death when on hrt...some are much less fortunate by not killing them outright, but turned them into a semi-vegetative state..
The sad thing is, this can be easily prevented by 1st seeing a competent Endocrinologist & be monitored, then by only following the dosages the doctor prescribed, nothing more, plus exercise & diet, so eat healthy, consume less alcohol..Consult with your doctor before taking OTC meds...And if you smoke, Quit !..or at the very least cut way back .