PDA

View Full Version : I came out to my sister yesterday, BUT...

Frédérique
10-13-2010, 05:28 PM
I had a good day yesterday. Well, part of it was good. I came out to my sister after many years of living in the closet. It’s wonderful to be out in the open! How ridiculous...:)

It all happened innocuously enough when my sister and I found ourselves awake, at the same time, in the middle of the day. This rarely happens, since we are both night owls. We decided to go to Wal-Mart in McPherson, KS to do some food shopping. Once there, we were over by the cat food area, getting some cat litter (which we call “poop sand”). Nearby was all the Halloween stuff, including some cute little spider earrings. My sister pointed them out to me, and I told her I didn’t have pierced ears, so I can’t wear them. I must have said this with just the right inflection, because she looked at me and asked me if I was being serious. I’ve intimated a desire to get my pierced ears ever since time began (it seems), but she thought I was only joking. It finally sunk in, so she said, “Of course you can get your ears pierced!” Exactly...

So, we’re walking through the women’s clothes, and my sister spies a nightgown she likes, an all-grey one. She holds it up for me to see, I say, “Nice!” and she puts it back on the rack. “Aren’t you going to get it?” I ask. “No, I don’t wear nightgowns any more,” my sister replied. I felt like saying, “Well, I do!” but I didn’t. I felt like I wanted to disclose something, but the time (and setting) didn’t seem quite right. We did our shopping and left the store, driving north out of McPherson. Soon, we were back out in the open prairie, heading for home. I mentioned to my sister that I felt like disclosing something to her, but I said I was waiting for the right moment. “I understand,” she said, followed by, “I have something to disclose to you as well.” I knew what it was, but I didn’t let on, keeping silent on this beautiful, sunny day. After a few more miles I said, “Well, I was thinking of telling you something, but you one-upped me!” She apologized, but I demurred.

I did tell her about this forum, calling it “a forum,” comparing it to the one I was on five years ago. Just before she moved in with me (in 2006) I joined the site, but, with someone to talk to 24/7, I didn’t become active until 2009. I think I just wanted an excuse to write stuff, talking about my favorite subject with people like me (by and large). I told her about my writing here, since she had an example she enjoyed from that other site I frequented. Accordingly, when we got home, I printed up a few recent off-topic threads I began (the OP’s), carefully removing any reference to crossdressing beforehand. I brought these downstairs, she read them, and at the bottom of the final page she turned the paper around, pointed to a sentence, and said, with a knowing smile, “The wonderful world of crossdressing?” I missed a reference! “Oh, well,” I said, “The cat’s out of the bag...”

She was supportive, as I knew she would be, and understanding, as I instinctively knew she had to be – we are cut from the same alternative cloth, but she has had a more normal life. We had a long discussion about things. She also disclosed what she had been meaning to tell me for quite some time, which was no surprise to me at all, and we discussed that as well. Afterwards, we were both able to breathe huge sighs of relief. I showed my sister some of my femme clothes, and she was impressed, in fact she’s even promised to make me a dress – she’s an expert self-taught seamstress, the ideal companion for a tranny like me. The event itself seemed anti-climactic, but the feeling of being “out” carried me along for hours...

Then I logged on here to see how my latest “dropped” thread was doing. I fuss over these things off-site, reading and re-reading them, trying to anticipate responses (which is why they can get quite long). Anyway, I was satisfied, so I submitted it yesterday morning. I never hang around to respond to replies as they come in, because I can’t – I have other things to do. I like to generate discussion, which I believe is the whole idea of this place, yet avoid arguments which go against the idea of any “support” one may obtain herein. This particular thread generated lots of discussion, along with (if I may say so) unwarranted abuse reflecting back at me. I’m glad I didn’t see this earlier, but the initial euphoria over coming out was tempered by this backlash. I’ll admit that I sometimes crawl out on a limb, only to saw the damn thing off behind me, but I don’t post things to attract abuse. Since nobody around here ever apologizes for anything (with a few notable exceptions), I will follow suit. I’ll chalk this one up to a big miscalculation on my part, and, if a certain authoritative person is reading this, thinking it’s another example of bullshit, I’m here to say it isn’t. BTW, I’d like to see a little more compassion, please...

I was walking around this afternoon, forming this thread in my mind, happy and sad at the same time. I kept thinking about Lisa GoLightly, one of my favorite transgendered people ever, who I met on a UK site over five years ago. Lisa would pour her heart out, getting some much-needed support, along with tons of undesired abuse. She would write about that, too, but I didn’t quite understand how this could happen – are we looking at the same person, or are we reading different words? What gives? Am I more receptive to a person who craves understanding, simply because I’m sensitive? Do I see “hurt” people, and only wish to help, while others seek, only to hurt? Is it any wonder that I spent nearly all of last evening wondering not IF I would leave, but HOW and WHEN? This is starting to sound like one of Lisa’s passionate outpourings, so I’ll just leave it at that...

The highs and lows of crossdressing, all in one day, brought on by myself. I'm dizzy...:c9: :brokenheart:

Thanks for reading. I love you all, and I mean that most sincerely...

sissystephanie
10-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Frederique, even though we are both men I love you. Not in the way that some men love other men, but because you are sensitive and compassionate!! You and I are actually much alike, although I am a lot older than you. My mother died when I was only 7 and my father died when I was 14. My sister and I were raised by an Aunt and Uncle with the help of a strict Grandmother. I learned to be sensitive and compassionate at a very early age, and like to feel that I still am.

I have seen those feelings often in your posts, along with the "totally unwarranted" abuse which you mentioned! I am sorry you had to experience that. As one of my old teachers used to say, people who say things like that do so because they don't know any other way to express themselves. In other words, they are not very smart!! You, Frederique, are very smart!!

PretzelGirl
10-13-2010, 10:43 PM
That is wonderful Frederique. It isn't a surprise as we have gotten to know you and listen to how you and your sister love each other. Do you think that you would want to dress around the house with her there or is this something that you still want to keep to yourself?

Frédérique
10-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Do you think that you would want to dress around the house with her there or is this something that you still want to keep to yourself?

I’m not sure. I can’t quite picture myself all dressed up in her presence – I’ve been doing this behind closed doors for so many years that it will be hard for me to adjust! I’ll probably do some kind of androgynous presentation, part this and part that, according to the situation. I never thought I would have the opportunity to dress 24/7, so I’m completely unprepared.
:doh:

She WILL make me a dress – my sister reiterated that promise last night, and, knowing her, she will expect to see me wearing her creation in some capacity. Some dreams DO come true! I’ll be able to do several things in the open (at last), and leave my drab camouflage behind once and for all…
:)

Tina B.
10-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Frederique, I'm glad you told your sister, we all could use a real live person to talk to at times, This place is great but nothing beats having family you can talk to. Hang on to the warmth of that moment, and let the crap slide off into the distance. As far as dressing in front of your sister, how can you not model a dress that she makes just for you? I guess you need to start warming up to that idea, she may need a fitting or two before it's finished also remember. All in all, I say it was a good day, and I would just forget the negative parts. I've been told all my life I was to sensitive for my on good, but I don't know of anything that you can do about it, it's like crossdressing, it's kind of built in to the system, but sometimes you have to shrug it off and just move on.
Tina B.

Kathi Lake
10-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Frédérique,

Sigh of relief indeed! I hope you don't mind, but I sighed as well while reading this - a sigh of happiness and sisterly compassion.

I like how you felt that it was anticlimactic. Isn't it amazing how we build gloom and doom into our ideas of how others will perceive us? Family is family. They don't always agree with us. They don't always love us. They do always love us.

I can't wait to hear of your ear piercing adventure! Do it soon, Freddy! Do it soon!

:)

Kathi

Amanda22
10-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Frederique, thanks for speaking your heart. Your posts are always so touching and open. I appreciate that so much and I know most others must as well. Life is freer out in the open, and I'm glad you have that openness with your sister now. It is exciting that you'll have to wear the dress she makes for you. I'd be super excited. Your sensitivity is a huge asset, although it comes with pain. My heart goes out to people I see every day who deserve more than they get, or just need to be loved. Some days, I'm just sad at the end of the day because the world is unjust.

Jodygurl
10-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Frederique, I just love reading your posts. Your stories are warm and have a glow that seems to surround you. I hope you're thinking of writing for a published work. The art and pathos of your stories is remarkable. I'll continue to look forward to your work.

Sarah Doepner
10-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Frédérique,

It is such an amazing feeling to let someone you love know important things you have kept secret and have them respond in a supportive manner. My bride has known for 7 or 8 years now and as I think about it, I get a warm fuzzy feeling even now. It did take a while for both of us to drum up the courage to see me dressed for the first time. When it finally happened, we were both ready and the discomfort evaporated as we talked about my dressing more. Like the forum has helped me understand much of what I do and how I feel, her acceptance has been a boon to me, calming my spirit and encouraging my self-confidence. Knowing that she loves me, warts and poor makeup choices, provides a contact point between this reality and the rest of the unknowing world.

As always I wish you the best with this new step in your quiet, soft adventure. And like Kathi I want to hear about your ear-piercing when it happens. I finally did mine a few months back and the only comments I've gotten have been supportive.

Andy66
10-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Your sister sounds wonderful. I think most of us here are just trying to be ourselves and live peacefully. I'm happy for you that you can now do that to a greater degree.

Someone was mean to you, dear Freddie? Without knowing the situation, all I can say is that everyone filters what they see and hear through their own experiences. One person's normal is another person's weird or even impossible. Some people may misunderstand your intentions, and some other people just want to complain and fight. (What a sad life they must have.) Be yourself, Freddie. It's a good thing to be. :hugs:

Frédérique
10-14-2010, 07:24 PM
I have time for a few quick responses – my sister and I are going out to celebrate my coming out!:battingeyelashes:

All in all, I say it was a good day, and I would just forget the negative parts. I've been told all my life I was to sensitive for my on good, but I don't know of anything that you can do about it, it's like crossdressing, it's kind of built in to the system, but sometimes you have to shrug it off and just move on.

Thanks, Tina! I appreciate your kind words. I do bruise easily, always have. I don’t mind telling people that fact, on this site, because I trust everyone. The odd argument now and then knocks me out of whack, but I’m inspired by others who make me look confrontational by comparison. I have to step back know and then, take a deep breath, and carry on. In my mind, I win by not giving in to temptation. Maybe others are merely testing me, trying to lure the male back into prominence at the expense of the female. I won’t allow myself to be tarnished in this manner…
:naughty

Frederique, I just love reading your posts. Your stories are warm and have a glow that seems to surround you. I hope you're thinking of writing for a published work. The art and pathos of your stories is remarkable. I'll continue to look forward to your work.

Thank you very much, Jody! I take care with everything I write, but I’m not a writer per se. I do enjoy writing about crossdressing, since it rears its beautiful head in everything we do. I’m surprised I write as much as I do, but it can be very relaxing at times. The whole thing is cathartic in the extreme, and it’s very heartwarming to know that, by and large, I’m coming across OK. I may yet write something at length, in fact I want to write a book about the place where I used to live back east…

Someone was mean to you, dear Freddie? Without knowing the situation, all I can say is that everyone filters what they see and hear through their own experiences. One person's normal is another person's weird or even impossible. Some people may misunderstand your intentions, and some other people just want to complain and fight. (What a sad life they must have.) Be yourself, Freddie. It's a good thing to be.

Oh, thanks, Andy! So wonderful to “see” you again – I missed you. What you say is true. I guess I don’t really have to, but I’m always trying to build bridges here, even though those important structures already exist. Maybe I scare people away with my words, but I care about the latter, so I take umbrage with those who pick them apart for one reason or another. It’s like someone telling me I’m ugly, when I’ve gone to great pains to be as beautiful as I can be. Someone reading that will no doubt argue that I’m “full of it,” but I’m being sincere at all times. I know the purpose of this site, and I’m trying to be supportive, not anti-supportive. That seems to get lost in the shuffle, or in the tangle of verbosity that passes for “discussion.” Being attacked by the very people I wish to emulate is a painful experience, I can tell you. I will survive and prosper, regardless…

I can't wait to hear of your ear piercing adventure! Do it soon, Freddy! Do it soon!

I will! I feel a thread coming on…:thinking: PS – It's wonderful to feel loved -- I love you all... :kiss:

Kathryn Martin
10-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Dear Freddy:

I was so surprised and happy to hear about this wonderful news. I have, ever since you told us a while ago that your sister is living with you and you had not come out to her, trembled for you in my heart that the day would come soon when you would find the moment to speak. By your cursory descriptions I saw the love you had for her and she for you and it made me reflect on our realities and the yearning we all feel inside. Now you have spoken and found love and acceptance. Even more, the gesture she made to you promising you a dress, will be a labor of love, and weigh heavier and deeper than any declarations. I rejoice for you. I have yet to take this step, to my sisters who are thousands of miles away across the Atlantic.

The tending of the gardens of our femininity brings with it the tenderness in our hands and hearts. It is a struggle to demure..

With love

Kathryn

Miranda09
10-14-2010, 09:47 PM
I so happy for you Frederique. I know what's it's like to come out to someone with all the apprehension and uneasiness you think will ensue, then they come back at you and say something totally unexpected like..."Actually, I'm not surprised!!!" You have a wonderful sister. :)