PDA

View Full Version : Dying To Know

DanteDonovan
10-14-2010, 03:21 AM
OK, my amazing Q of the day. One I have always wondered about...

What is the difference between drag queen and MTF cross dressing?

Is drag queen meant more when they are ready to go out for the night and put on a show or something, as to where cross dresser is kind of daily? I've heard the expressions "I'm going out in drag" is that one more universal between the two? As far as I know drag queens pick up more feminine mannerisms and voice, etc., whereas cross dressers not so much?

Sorry, just always wondered. Any MTF types I've known were just drag queens. Never had the pleasure of hanging with cross dressers, well, except myself >_> I don't know if I count as a true cross dresser though Oo I don't dress more feminine, make up, wigs, for getting the thrill of being like a female, but in my head when looking in the mirror is "damn I'm hot" haha. I usually dress that way for clubs and sometimes when going out for fun. Maybe it's more my love of playing dress up, rather than it being cross dressing. Oh the technicalities XDDD :eg:

Ooh, another Q, I saw a thread about enlarging your breasts if you could, but this is MTF cross dressing forum. Don't cross dressers usually wear fakes? And if you do have implants, how do you still see yourself as a cross dresser. but not TS? Or is something like that considered *******? (btw if that's an offensive term I'm really sorry, just let me know-don't yell at me >< :cheers:

Shananigans
10-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Drag queens are crossdressing at the end of the day. But, not every CD is a drag queen. Go meet a few at a bar that does shows and you will understand the difference.

All I can say is it's over the top...the outfit...the hair...the wig....the makeup...the personality. It's a SHOW at the end of the day. (And, it's a lot of fun!)

And, for most, CDing isn't a "show" it's very much attached to what they identify with.

So, not every CD is a drag queen. A drag queen is crossdressing, but they are also singing, dancing, acting...it's for entertainment. But, that doesn't mean that drag queens don't have that personal identification with being a CD or that it (CDing) doesn't mean as much to them. It's just they are taking a different route with it...making it entertainment...and, making a buck.

Some people have mixed feelings about drag queens (especially some CDs)...but, I think they're great. Most of them look better than half of the GGs I know and they are great fun and very talented.

charlotte_sp
10-14-2010, 03:53 AM
What is the difference between drag queen and MTF cross dressing?

I think Shananigans described it pretty well. The consensus as far as I can tell is that drag queens do it as a performance, whereas cross-dressers do it out of gender dysphoria. Sometimes people use drag as a synonym for cross-dressing, but drag tends to imply dramatic make-up and exaggeration or caricatures of (stereo)typically feminine traits. These connotations make "drag" a somewhat controversial term. I guess a safe rule is not to call someone's cross-dressing drag unless they use it themselves.

Ooh, another Q, I saw a thread about enlarging your breasts if you could, but this is MTF cross dressing forum. Don't cross dressers usually wear fakes? And if you do have implants, how do you still see yourself as a cross dresser. but not TS? Or is something like that considered *******? (btw if that's an offensive term I'm really sorry, just let me know-don't yell at me >< :cheers:

"*******" is pretty troublesome since it's so often associated with the fetishizing of transsexuals, so I avoid it altogether, but some people do identify that way.

For the people you're describing, I'll let them identify themselves, but "transgender" is usually a pretty harmless description when all else fails.

Shananigans
10-14-2010, 04:19 AM
"*******" is pretty troublesome since it's so often associated with the fetishizing of transsexuals, so I avoid it altogether, but some people do identify that way.

For the people you're describing, I'll let them identify themselves, but "transgender" is usually a pretty harmless description when all else fails.

I forgot to reply on this part. Yeah, "*******" is such a gross term. It's hard to say if someone with implants, or seeking breast enlargement is a CD or TS. Definitely TG as Charlotte pointed out. That's pretty much the umbrella, PC term at the moment. Hahaha.

And, where you or I might label a person as CD or TS, that person that you are labeling might disagree. For example, if a CD gets breast enlargement to look more like a woman because she feels as though she wants to get more towards the body that she should have been born with (i.e. identifies internally as female), I'd call that person a TS. But, that doesn't necessarily means that this person also identifies as TS.

Best to just say transgendered and call it a day. If he/she has a problem with that label (if for some reason it is used in convo), then I would apologize and ask them what they consider themselves on the gender spectrum. People like talking about themselves anyway and most people feel that they're so unique and beyond labels (sometimes irritating) that you might as well just hear it from the horse's mouth before you say anything further.

Gerrijerry
10-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Lets see if a CD gets implants are they then TS. Interesting question. I would simple say they may be happier that way. Different levels for each and the labels are just that. It is what you think you are and are happy with that counts. The only thing for sure is if you get implants I would guess you want others to notice you have full time female traits.
Unless you want to talk to a counselor or gender professonal who have labels for each level so they can understand how to address your issues. As for the *******. I don't understand the term and how it is used. I have heard it used of course but how it is applied I do not know.

Karren H
10-14-2010, 05:17 AM
From the movie "To Wong Foo"

When a straight man puts on a dress and gets his sexual kicks, he is a transvestite. When a man is a woman trapped in a man's body and has a little operation he is a Transsexual. When a gay man has way too much fashion sense for one gender he is a drag queen.

Lol.

Sally24
10-14-2010, 05:36 AM
From the movie "To Wong Foo"

When a straight man puts on a dress and gets his sexual kicks, he is a transvestite. When a man is a woman trapped in a man's body and has a little operation he is a Transsexual. When a gay man has way too much fashion sense for one gender he is a drag queen.

Lol.

Such A Great Movie!

"Going out in Drag" is just another phrase for en femme.

A Drag Queen is almost always a gay male in way over the top hair and makeup for performances, at least the New York City version. Here in New England they tend to try to look more realistic with their makeup but do have some need to do cartwheels and splits! Owee......!

Kate Simmons
10-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Tips for performing basically. :heehee:

kitchenette
10-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Hilarious, Denise!!! I love that answer.

StaceyJane
10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Drag Queens are performers and the female persona is a character they play. Quite often Drag Queens don't dress as women when they aren't performing.

Aslo Drag Queens go for the over the top, outragous look, while a CD is much more likely to try to blend in.

Loni
10-14-2010, 09:04 AM
yes a drag queen is a performer in a show, very over the top in makeup and dress.

a cross dresser is one who likes looking like a woman. and try's to blend in with the world when out. some stay at home and dress it up a bit younger

we in this area do not use the wording going out in "drag" it is insult.

a *******, is a less than a desirable word.

has been used to describe a person born with boy and girl sexual parts.

pre opp transsexual is better.

when in doubt just call them as how they are dressed...aka...mr, miss.

but then this is just how i see it, your mileage may vary.

NicoleScott
10-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I think a drag queen is a caricature of a woman. Caricature artists look for a person's prominent features and exaggerate them. Drag queens exaggerate those things about women (and not normally features of men), like makeup (heavy) eyelashes (long and thick) lips and eyes (overdrawn) clothes (sexy and skimpy) and heels (killer high). And it's usually done for entertainment purposes. I'm not a drag queen, but I love the look. I like to exaggerate feminine features to over-the-top, but I do it for my own entertainment, not for others.

CalamityJane
10-14-2010, 04:28 PM
As I see it a drag queen is someone, usually a guy who dresses, and usually acts like a caricature of a woman for the purpose of entertaining or performing for monetary reward...just one of the may views of what a drag queen is. I expect that everyone will have their own idea on the topic.

sterling12
10-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Around Florida a significant number of The performers in Drag Shows have gotten Breasts, gotten Hip Implants, had Facial Feminising Surgery, had collagen added to their lips, liposuction on their tummies, implants added to their behinds, and often had ribs removed!

To me, that sounds like a lot more than "just a job!" And, most of These Gals eventually go on to Sexual Reassignment Surgery. If you ask them, they prefer The Term Female Impersonator. Yeah, in The past; most of Those performers in The Shows were Gay Men, who wanted nothing to do with a Female Role outside of their Work Place. But, I think The Lines are really getting "blurry." We may need to redefine The Whole Genre'.

Peace and Love, Joanie