PDA

View Full Version : The first step is (still) the hardest

Cristi
10-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I haven't been able to get dressed and go out shopping for a long time. I don't even remember when I had time to do more than a quick 'dress and drive'.

So at the last moment today, I realized that I had the day off from work and nothing else pressing that needed to be done. The first good news is that somehow I managed to get my 'prep time' down to just over an hour, when in the past it has taken me as much as two and a half!

A lot of that savings was because I've discovered press-on nails, so save a good 20 minutes of nail painting. I also didn't do anything fancy with my hair, just brushed it out, put some gel in it and tried to give it just a bit of a wave.

My outfit today was a knee length light rayon skirt (that moves wonderfully in even the slightest breeze), nude hose, comfortable flats and a white mock-turtleneck top through which you could just make out the outlines of my lacy bra and C forms.

So the point of this post I guess is that, even with all the times I've been out in the past, that first step out of the car after driving somewhere is still quite a barrier. I was happy with my makeup and outfit, but I just couldn't take that step out into public. :(

Finally, after a few false starts, I managed to force myself out of the car and into a drug store. I browsed for a while and picked up more nails without any bad reactions from other customers or the cashier. This was all I needed to get my confidence back.

In the remainder of my time I visited four more stores, each one easier than the last. It was a good day, I didn't get a single second glance much less any difficulty. I was feeling good enough about how I was blending that I used the ladies room when I needed to and went to an attended dressing room at one store when I found a nice skirt to try on. The attendant waved me through to the women's side of the dressing rooms without a moment's hesitation. Sadly, the skirt did not fit well... but at least I got to try it on! In the distant past, I would have bought it while in drab, gotten home, realized it didn't fit, then been too embarrased to return it.

Not to complain, but my only problem now is that a big part of the thrill of being out dressed is gone. I was wandering up and down aisles of a grocery store picking up some things I need and didn't even feel like I was wearing anything out of the ordinary, like I go out in a skirt and hose every day of the week. I kind of miss the old thrill.

So now I've got the bug again. I can't go that long again without going out. But I also want some new challenges, not just the same old 'get dressed and go shopping' plan that has now become a bit of a routine.

Aprilrain
10-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Fly somewhere! If that dosnt get your heart pumping I can't imagine what would

Cristi
10-15-2010, 12:07 AM
That is certainly on my 'bucket list' of things to do someday. I think, though, my next step might be an overnight trip somewhere including meals, checking into a hotel, a bit of shopping, maybe see a movie or show, etc, with no male clothes. Ideally I'd love to do a long weekend away 100% dressed.

The other idea I've been toying with is signing up for some type of college class or lecture series and attending the entire thing as Cristi. During a semester's worth of night classes, I could wear a different outfit to every class and by the end of the class there would be a group of people who ONLY knew me en femme. :)

I live near a few college towns and can probably find some kind of class that would assure a pretty liberal group of students who would be pretty accepting. Something like a 'gender studies' class?

carhill2mn
10-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Attend concerts or plays; go out to dinner, lunch or meet a friend for coffee; go to a movie; go grocery shopping; get your nails done; go to a park by a lake and read or "people watch"; go to a Home Depot or Lowes; do any of the ususal daily errands.

t-girlxsophie
10-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Funny though it may seem.not passing actually helps keep the thrill going for me-each time I go out im wondering if ill blend in enough not to get any negativity,dont get me wrong im not saying I want that bad reaction,It just keeps the adrenalin pumping with that thought in mind and my day passing without incident is a victory to me

:hugs:Sophie