PDA

View Full Version : We ain't one-at-a-timin' here. We're MASS communicating!

Kathi Lake
10-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Although I do love to go out and show the people one-at-a-time just how friendly, how pleasant, how normal we are, I wondered what I could do to step that up a notch. If I've learned anything from Mythbusters, it's that anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. :)

So, I logged onto Facebook as Kathi. I entered their contest. Although I didn't win, I do believe that I got the message out there. My entry - where I state that I am a normal guy who happens to love wearing pretty clothes - was second only to the president of the company in number of views (most likely due to the novelty of a guy in a skirt and heels). So, I thought, "There! Mission accomplished. Should I call that good?" I then chuckled and thought, "Nah!" :)

So, I started posting more, like this one:

That got some hits, and started the ball rolling. Since that time, not only have other crossdressers befriended me, but women as well - women who have had experiences with crossdressers in their life (good ones and bad), women who tell me that they like what I do, women who tell me to stand firm against what the world tells us is "right" and do what we feel is right. There's been some creepy ones as well, but we won't get into that. :)

Yesterday, my favorite clothing store posted this on their site:

There's no way I could let that go without a response! Again, I'm trying to be subtle, but still let people know that this is a guy posting this - an average, ordinary, normal guy. So, I posted this:

So, what do you think? Am I over the top with this? I'm not trying to tweak the public or thumb my nose at it, just let them know how wonderful we all really are.

Kathi

(bonus points for the name of the movie the title quote came from! :))

Oops! Forgot two more!

Ashleythenewgirl
10-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I thought that was nicely done. Your approach was diplomatic in my opinion and a nice way to help people see how many of us feel. Thanks Kathi.

juno
10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
No, you are not over the top. If crossdressing is ever to become a "normal" part of human variety, we all need to express ourselves more publicly, and in good taste. We don't all have to make a concerted effort at it, just don't pass up opportunities to express yourself in a positive way. I bought a wig online partly because another CDer posted a good review.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
10-15-2010, 10:47 AM
I "like" this as well. Keep up the good work, Kathi!

Debra Russell
10-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Right On Kathi I have enjoyed this thread and I think we all have an example to follow because of it! .....Debra

Kathryn Martin
10-15-2010, 11:48 AM
You're my heroine for today. That is exactly what those of us that are somewhat out should do.

Nick2Nikki
10-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Hahaha, I love the Mythbusters quote; however, you're definitely not overdoing it! I hope you enjoy your new post as ambassador of CD-ers everywhere, because I think you just nominated yourself for that position!

SherriePall
10-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Kathi -- If you're going to be out there, you might as well be out to the whole world (or at least White House/Black Market staff and customers). Thanks for sharing this with us.

Daenna Paz
10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Kathi Lake;2292437]So, what do you think? Am I over the top with this? I'm not trying to tweak the public or thumb my nose at it, just let them know how wonderful we all really are.

So well done ... classy with just a hint of 'edge' ... :eek:

(bonus points for the name of the movie the title quote came from! :))

"oh sister, where art thou"? (right there on Face book, I think!) LOL!! :rofl:

Laura Evans
10-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Good for you Kathi, you are a brave woman for doing this, you have my support and admiration.

Gerrijerry
10-15-2010, 12:48 PM
nicely done and no not over the top. In fact I thank you for doing it.

t-girlxsophie
10-15-2010, 01:29 PM
As they say in FB land,Sophie :thumbsup: this:heehee: A very brave move Kathi,no one could fail to be impressed,everyone should be applauding you.

:hugs:Sophie

Patty
10-15-2010, 01:46 PM
No not over the top. I think you said it very well.

ReineD
10-15-2010, 02:37 PM
So, what do you think? Am I over the top with this? I'm not trying to tweak the public or thumb my nose at it, just let them know how wonderful we all really are.

You did ask, so I'll give you my honest :2c:.

First let me say that I was sorry you didn't win one of the WHBM Sweepstakes prizes. I thought your entry was very good. :)

But in this case, they are asking specifically for stories of breast cancer survivors. I think it is over the top to bring the CDing into it. I'm not saying you shouldn't participate, anyone can get breast cancer and if this had been a part of your past, it would be proper for you to share your story as Kathi and disclose that you are also a GM.

My SO has a Myspace and Facebook page where she also is up front about being TG. She does not try to have others believe she is a GG. She is also not willing to be out full time or to deal with possible work related issues should people find out at the moment, so even if she did maintain profiles in guy mode, he would not be disclosing this. The profiles would be kept quite separate.

I think it is very good to let your acquaintances on social sites know that your femme profile is not a GG. It is the most honest approach, and it is one that I see many other TGs adopting.
:hugs:

Kathi Lake
10-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Thank you Reine!

Honestly, I read it as two separate statements. Days earlier, they asked for posts about survivors and their stories. This post referenced that one, but then asked for - what it seemed to me - as other stories of courage and hope. That's why I posted in this one, and not the breast cancer post.

My Facebook profile, although under the name Kathi Lake, does indeed list my sex as male. Now if they asked for gender, . . .

:)

Kathi

ReineD
10-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I can't log in to my own Facebook profile at the moment. Embarassingly enough, my Mac died and the file with all my logins and passwords is not accessible to me at the moment. I'm using a borrowed PC. :p

So is WHBM seeking more pic uploads but this time with uplifting stories? It is not limited to just breast cancer survivors?

If it is about having courage in the face of adversity, I may be able to share my own past too. :)

Are there prizes as there were in the "What makes me feel beautiful" campaign? I would have loved to have won even the third prize. :daydreaming:

Kathi Lake
10-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Nope. No prizes - other than whatever you gained after going through your time of adversity.
This time, it's not a contest. It's a place where you can post stories of trials you have gone through, the courage you have gained, and what gives you hope. It's more of a mass sharing than a contest.

About the Mac, define "died." In my day job, I'm an Apple developer. I may be able to help.

Kathi

Miranda09
10-15-2010, 08:23 PM
That's a great idea Kathi you are absolutely the perfect representative. I have a WHBM store nearby and haven't had the time to visit it, but maybe soon.....if they even have my size!!! :) Good luck with the Facebook activities.

Nope...haven't got a clue what movie your quote is from! :idontknow:

Kathi Lake
10-15-2010, 11:54 PM
I have a WHBM store nearby and haven't had the time to visit it, but maybe soon.....if they even have my size!!!Miranda, there's one way to find out, isn't there? :)

Nope...haven't got a clue what movie your quote is from! :idontknow:Let's just say I'm a fan of the Coen Brothers - from Fargo to The Big Lebowski to Raising Arizona to Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? - their work is great! Quirky and off-center, like me!

Kathi

ReineD
10-19-2010, 12:48 AM
About the Mac, define "died." In my day job, I'm an Apple developer. I may be able to help.

Thanks, Kathi! Well, the logic board on my MacBook Pro gave out last June. A certified Apple repair place ran the diagnostics. It will be awhile before I can get it repaired. So I reverted to using my 2004 G5 desktop. The graphics card was failing. My display was all snowy, and the only way I could see anything was by setting the resolution to 256 colors. Still, there were permanent heavy vertical stripes down the center of the monitor, which made it necessary for me to keep a long, skinny browser window open on either side of it in order to be able to read anything. At one point I plugged in an older monitor that my son had, with the same results. Definitely a graphics card issue, not the monitor.

At the end of September I was gone overnight and came home to evidence there had been a power failure in my absence. Everything is plugged into a very good surge protection bar. The monitor was dark, the G5 indicator light was on, but the tower was completely silent. I couldn't even power it down. The only way to turn it off was to unplug it. I disconnected all other apparatus except the mouse and display, plugged it back in again, but nothing. Zip. It's in its original box now and next time I go to the city I'll bring it to the Apple place so they can reset it. But I don't have high hopes that it will work. I'm pretty sure it's the graphics card and I can't replace it at the moment either.

Thank God for good friends who are letting me use a PC laptop until I have the resources to fix my machines. :)

If you have any suggestions, I do appreciate it!

Also, I don't think it is over the top for you to share your story, if they are asking about ways that women have faced adversity. Initially I thought it was limited to having survived breast cancer. :hugs: