PDA

View Full Version : Immediately obvious changes on hormones

tanyalynn51
10-16-2010, 09:56 PM
With a title like that, it probably sounds like that's what Im hoping for. But, I just started a few days ago, so Im not dumb. What I didnt consider, though is the question of does something happen within the first three weeks or so. The reason Im asking is that Im going to be with my family for a couple of weeks, and I will have been into taking them around a week and a half when I go. They dont know about Tanya, and this is definitely not the time to tell them. Anyone think I might have something to worry about, or am I just being paranoid. I definitely hope I am just over-worrying it, since this is so new to me.

Melody Moore
10-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi Tanya, there wont be any significant physical changes in the first 3 weeks that you have to worry about thats for sure. You certainly wont be spouting any new & unusual looking bumps under your shirt in that time. You might if youre lucky start to feel some tenderness in the breast around the 3rd week. The most significant change that I first noticed was to my inner self - I finally started to get some peace from my gender dysphoria. After a month or so you can expect your skin to start to look softer and the hairs on your body to start to appear finer & lighter in colour. So relax at this point of time about significant physical changes to the body.

Phyliss
10-17-2010, 05:52 AM
Mostly it depends on the strength of the particular dosage you're taking.

Almost 3 months now for me with a weak amt of x mg daily of xxxxx brand. No real outward changes yet, but mentally feel much better.

Oh yeah that'd be nice ... the proverbial "pink pill" .... take one and presto instant GIRL

Felicity71
10-17-2010, 07:14 AM
I think you will be ok, you will probably have a very slight change in your skin maybe, and you will start to sweat less. More of a worry will be how you ensure your medication isnt discovered. Another thing if i remember rightly 10 months ago how i went with the first few weeks, the emotions may get to you. It was a very odd time, contemplating what i was doing.

tanyalynn51
10-17-2010, 07:34 AM
I should have said, it isnt a really strong dose to start with. My endo said that in fact it could be doubled at some point, but that will be something I decide down the road with her and my counselor as to when. Everything here so far is stuff I kind of thought of as possible, especially nipple tenderness and emotions, but also my medication being discovered. I cant just leave it out with the other meds, but it I dont, and someone does see it, it would be conspicuous by itself. I have a few theories on that, since Ill have my own room and bathroom while Im there. As for the emotions, I already cry easy, which everyone knows, and am sensitive, (both without hormones) so hopefully any emotional changes at this point wont be noticed.

Jennifer in CO
10-17-2010, 08:58 AM
in all probability the only thing noticeable, if at all if you are on a low/half dose, is your nipples will get itchy. Oh...and be careful of movies...sad and happy parts...that might make you cry...will

Jenn

Gisele
10-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Oh...and be careful of movies...sad and happy parts...that might make you cry...will

Jenn

I'm not even on hormones and I have that problem:battingeyelashes: (not that it's a problem)

Diane Elizabeth
10-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I have been one the patch for 7 weeks now. The only differences I have noticed is my hair particles are changing. I had very thick hair and now it is a bit finer.

CharleneT
10-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Obvious physical changes are slow going, so you'll have plenty of warning prior to needing to hide anything ;) The first changes most notice are emotional and the demise of "ye old morning wood". Skin, hair etc are all fairly slow. You'll think you see a lot more differences than most anyone else will actually notice. Fat redistribution is truly slow . . . and really depends on your initial weight and what happens after that.

Watch out for changes in appetite, it can be pretty dramatic !

jennaj
10-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Watch out for changes in appetite, it can be pretty dramatic !

I am on week 3 and the change in appetite is crazy, I will eat until I am full, but still be hungry!
J

Shareecd
10-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi Tanya and Everyone,
Its been a long time since I've posted anything on the site so here is an update. I started going to a therapist about 3 months ago now and she really brought out the hard questions to ask myself. There are times when I think about all she has taught me about myself and mostly the theme is I have no pressures to transition except on my own time frame. This has taken a lot of burden off of me except that the more I am on this path the more excited and anxious I get to move a head. My doctor and my therapist spoke and I have now been on Premarin for about 4 weeks. I can see some small changes mostly in the way my breasts feel but nothing that indicates this will be an over night change for me. I am shaved and dressed everyday under my office work clothes. Being able to finally be me openly is a real dream I want to make happen. Still the one thing I am experiencing is an inner peace about who and what I am. So much so I have been able to cut my anti depressant medication in half. I go back to the doctor in early November for a check up he has asked me to consider taking the shots versus the pills. Can anyone share their experiences with me on this one? I am not on any T blockers due to my prostate being removed last year and the doctor feels it is not necessary. Has anyone had any experience with this also? After reading a lot about it I think the shots would be a better option. By my Therapist recommendation I have taken the steps to discuss my path to being femme with my HR person who is a wonderful and completely supportive. I am so blessed on that front. I have an understanding wife but lately she has become apprehensive about my transitioning to a total female. I am able to dress anyway I want, anytime I want at home. she has gone out with me twice, so I am being considerate of her "transition" also. Lastly I have attended a CD/TG group here in Indy and found some fabulous friends. I have missed the last two but hope to attend more.
Well that is about it on my status.Usually not comfortable with so many "I"s in a paragraph but at least I had the nerve to write. I hope I have covered everything. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences on the site. It has taught me a lot.
Sharee

tanyalynn51
10-21-2010, 08:00 PM
in all probability the only thing noticeable, if at all if you are on a low/half dose, is your nipples will get itchy. Oh...and be careful of movies...sad and happy parts...that might make you cry...will

Jenn

Actually, I do have some growth in the breast area, hardly noticible except that I have fleshy breasts anyway, and I am filling out my bra better. I need to watch it when I go to Florida next week for a week. Hopefully, with what was previously there, there wont be noticible. As for crying, I always cried easy, but Ive noticed I cry a little longer.

Stephenie S
10-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Immediately noticable changes? None. Any immediate effects will be in your head. It takes some time. Many report changes continuing over many years.

Get another doctor, or a least another opinion. Premarin is not really a good drug for us. It's very old fashioned. And WHEW! Do you know how it is made? No thanks!

And I seriously doubt that prostate removal negates the need for a testosterone blocker. Ask a different doctor, please.

S

Melody Moore
10-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Still the one thing I am experiencing is an inner peace about who and what I am. So much so I have been able to cut my anti depressant medication in half. I go back to the doctor in early November for a check up he has asked me to consider taking the shots versus the pills. Can anyone share their experiences with me on this one?

I haven't been on anti-depressant medication for the past 3 years because I have learnt to manage my anxiety & depression much better with lifestyle & attitude changes, such as my outlook, choosing my friends more carefully, diet & exercise. I wanted to be sure that I had these things right under control and be off anti-depression medication for sometime before I started my transitioning, because I was fully aware that hormone treatment can make things much worse. Previously anxiety & depression caused me to have really bad insomnia which was still affecting me to some degree when I started HRT. Prior to going off Anti-depressants 3 years ago I use to stay awake for days at a time, sometimes for 3 or 4 days then only sleep a few hours and get up again. Just prior to starting HRT my insomnia had improved from that to where I started to sleep 2 to 3 hours a day, but would rest in bed for a couple more hours. On the odd occasion I would take a nanny nap for an hour or so in the afternoon. However since going on HRT I sleep a good solid 7 to 8 hours, sometimes 9 hours. I most certainly have a lot more inner peace because I have finally accepted who I truly am.

Get another doctor, or a least another opinion. Premarin is not really a good drug for us. It's very old fashioned. And WHEW! Do you know how it is made? No thanks!I have to agree with Stephanie here because the only doctor I know of that suggested Premarin to me did not even know that there was a Sexual Health & Gender clinic here in Cairns. This idiot wanted to send me down south (over 1500 miles) to Brisbane because he didn't even know that these types of gender services were available in our local community. This is shocking that a local doctor didn't even know such basic information - it just goes to show how much he really knew. But he knew something about Premarin & told me that it was oestrogen extracted from female horses (mares).

jessicaheartt09
10-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi change is slow and you probably won't have any noticeable changes till at least 3 months. You might notice small changes in your face around 2. Most of the changes are mental. You will think that you are thinking differently since on hormones. I hope this helps and good luck on your journey.

Bree-asaurus
10-22-2010, 01:30 AM
I've been on hormones for 2.5 months and already notice physical changes. Skin is softer, nipples HURT and there is slight development on my chest. My first month was on a low dose, and now I'm on a higher dose and in a couple weeks I'll increase my dosage again.

But the mental changes are the most pronounced and I'm soooo happy about that part. I think I'd freak out if I had to stop doing HRT... I can't go back to how I was before.

Shareecd
10-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks Stephanie! I will. I do have a lot of questions for my doctor the next visit. He is a;ways good at listening and finding ways help me. Yeah after I started taking Premarin I found out what it was made of. Same as you Yuck!
Sharee