PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom networking!

Stephanie Miller
10-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I normally don't journalize (is that a word?) my goings on. But this one evening was so right, I had to share.
Things like this I expect to happen to the likes of TxKimberly (she has all the fun), not the likes of me! The wife was going to our daughters house to babysit the grandkids for the night. So I took the opportunity to shop for a needed backless bra for my Halloween costume. I changed into a simple black skirt, red tank, 2"pumps and assorted accessories. Cured the hair, light make-up and headed out to the mall expecting few people on a weekday night. I was correct in the lack of people. It was dead.
After shopping in Penny's and heading towards Macy's, I swung into the bathroom. Not expecting anyone to be there as void of people as the place was - I was totally surprised to see this gal in front of the mirror, fighting with her top. Of course the typical (to me at least) reaction to flee immediately sprang to mind! But, before the mind transferred this thought pattern to the feet so that I could make a hasty retreat she turned and asked if I could help undo a stuck button that she had her hair caught in.
A cajillion thoughts ran through my head. She's going to call security. She's going to scream. etc...
But stuck as I was, I said sure, walked up, put my purse on the counter and proceeded to untangle the mess. She was a talkative thing. Turns out she was making real estate sales calls that afternoon. Company expects employees to dress business like, but she was playing hookie from that and was dressed casual. Her bossed called and told her he was going home sick and needed her to cover for him at a networking meeting after work. Not having time to run home across town during work traffic and still make it back in time - she stopped at the mall to pick up a simple LBD to change into.
This whole time she's chatting away I did my business in the stall and was on my way out to wash my hands. I round the corner, to her - half nude- pulling her dress up. "You mind zipping?" I'm thinking, They're going to throw the book at me when she screams! As it turned out she doesn't scream. She turns and asked what I do for a living. So much for getting the hell out of there. So I told her I was a bookkeeper for a construction company. ( Not really a lie. It's worse. I own the thing). More idle chat about the economy, when she hands me her card and says to call so we can "do lunch"! I tell her sure, it's been nice talking, but I have to run.
The whole simple event made me feel so... normal female. Wonderful yet hard to describe. Never had anything like that before.
So, I'm still alive and not in handcuffs. I guess you just can't pick the days that are going to be great.

Nicki S
10-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow, great story. That looks to me like true acceptance. Good for you for maintaining your composure.

Kathi Lake
10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Stephanie, lovely story!

When I saw the title, I immediately thought of using a number written on the bathroom wall and, . .

never mind. :)

Isn't "normal female" just the best?! I do so love how the normal barriers come down when all we add is a little padding and a little paint. Of course, she saw and knew all. She just also saw into your heart, and knew she had nothing to fear.

:)

Kathi

Jenna Stunned
10-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Wow, That really was a great story, I would have been mortified. But it sounds like you handled it perfectly. Good for you.

Kimberly Alice
10-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Great Story. You are always so non-chalant about your outings, so natural!
Now, did you find the bra you were looking for?

Holly
10-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Frankly, I'm not surprised this happened to you. You are confident, intelligent, composed and obviously know your way around ladies clothing. Why wouldn't a lady needing assistance ask you for help? Well done. I want more details at the party next Saturday! :D

renee k
10-21-2010, 03:07 PM
That's great Steph, I like reading stories like this, you reacted perfectly. I think if you didn't help out, she may have reacted differently. I'm glad it turned out okay for you. It must have a confidence builder for you too.

Renee

Amelia08
10-21-2010, 03:13 PM
this reminds me of another thread i read about close calls possibly not being as close as we imagine. just goes to prove keeping calm and keeping confidence can have its rewards

Alice B
10-21-2010, 03:25 PM
That was a great story and you were quite posed in how you took care of it. I guess my curiosity makes me ask if you were able to use a female voice or your own male one. Curious to know if you think she read you?

carhill2mn
10-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for sharing. I hope your story will aid others who are fearful of being out in public while en femme. Like most people the girl had her own problems and saw only what she was expecting to see. Almost no one is going to give you the "once over" to see if you are a CD or not if you are presenting in a normal (no pun intended) way.

Janet Bern
10-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Well done. Congratulations on a fine job. I think we see the man in us while everyone else doesn't.
Keep up the good work,.

JohnH
10-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Stephanie, glad you could pass as a GG even when you spoke.

I have a non-existent female voice - it's very difficult to throw a female voice when one is a basso profundo! My routine singing range goes down to Bb below the bass staff, and frequently I can make a sound down to G or the four ledger line F# below the bass staff. That is probably the number one reason why I do not try to pass as a woman.

So I guess if I went out full-out enfemme I would still have to use the men's room, and if someone confronts me, I would have to tell that person convincingly that I am a man.

On the other hand, others such as Stana of Femulate.org do not have to work on their voices.

Stephanie, I'm also curious about the voice you used.

eluuzion
10-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Hiya Stephanie,

That was a fun recap to read. With all of the horror stories we read here, it is nice to read a few with happy endings that help us gather confidence.

A few points are worth noting…

-good example of the critical role attitude and composure plays in “passing”.
-further evidence that disproves the claims that people who do not wash their hands after using public restrooms will get sick. It does support the “theory” that it is not what you actually do, “it is the thought that counts“. lol
:love:

Tammy V
10-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Just wondering, do you think she knew that you are a crossdresser?

Jilmac
10-21-2010, 05:10 PM
I have two thoughts. Either she didn'd read you and thought you were just another girl in the ladies room doing her thing, or she didn't give a thought to a crossdresser bieng there as long as she was able to get the help she needed. Either way, it was a win win situation for both of you.

AKAMichelle
10-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Your right that it sounds like a TXKimberly event. I would have loved to been there to watch the whole thing. I would have been the one in the corner laughing my ass off.

Stephanie Miller
10-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks ladies so much for the comments. No, I really don't have a female voice. I try and talk soft and a little higher is all. Too high and it sounds even more fake. I'm pretty sure she knew I was not a true Gg. You all have seen my pics. I don't pass, I think I just look like a non-threatening "something" :D. I may have gotten away with it this time only because she was so pre-occupied in getting changed and getting out of there. Next time you may have to visit me in the hooskow.:chained:

JohnH
10-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks ladies so much for the comments. No, I really don't have a female voice. I try and talk soft and a little higher is all.

Would not work for me. I would really have to work hard to get a female voice - and a deep one at that! :)

sterling12
10-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Yes, a very refreshing change from a lot of The Threads we've been getting lately! This Episode will not be going into one of The Too Numerous "Whats The Worst Thing That Ever Happened to You When Dressed Threads." And, ain't I glad about that! I think they are counter-productive and probably scare The Hell out of Timid Newbies. You on The Other Hand, have something Positive to offer.

She described as a bit Ditzy, and very distracted; but You Done Good. I think you have earned A Gold Star from The Sisterhood this week. Let's see; you "passed," used A Public Restroom, made an acquaintance, and hopefully got your shopping done...all in one Pass. That's A Big Day!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Chickhe
10-21-2010, 10:58 PM
You know what? Those situations are pretty rare and you seemed to hit it off, I would take the opportunity to do lunch, if only to get feedback on what her impression was. The good sales people like her are not phased by different people and thrive on meeting new people so it could be enjoyable.

Patty B.
10-22-2010, 03:09 AM
Like the way you handled this situation, with class. Yeah it probably been hysterical to be the fly on the wall watching, but way to go.

Tina B.
10-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Steph, you are to modest, your avatar looks very passable, of course I have never heard your voice, but remember, Bea Aurthur passed with that voice of hers!
Tina B.

Cassandra Lynn
10-22-2010, 12:33 PM
What a wonderful post and inspiring story Stephanie. Not sure if i read the chain of events correctly, but if she did read you and still didn't mind the fact that she was exposing herself somewhat, then she is one of those remarkable, rare and accepting women. As others said she saw that you were a good PERSON and trusted you to help her, with no worries. I see that you are married, so the lunch will prolly not be accepted, but it sure would be nice to sit with her for a time and see what went through her mind and know for sure her feelings about the whole situation.
mj (Cassie)

Paulette
10-22-2010, 12:36 PM
You did what any there woman would do and helped another woman in distress. The fact that you did just what was asked and then moved on to your own business further explains the why no handcuffs. If we present ourselves as women and then act like ladies we will all have fewer problems.As for passing you are selling yourself short, you dressed to blend and that is just what you did.

TxKimberly
10-22-2010, 12:41 PM
How very awesome! She gave you a priceless gift - she treated you as a woman. Way to go in handling it so well. :)

Stephanie Miller
10-23-2010, 02:26 PM
I have to say, I didn’t expect to garner such responses from this simple post. I was just posting for a simple read. Thank you all very much. I don’t think I did anything that the rest of you wouldn’t have done if put in the same situation. It wasn’t like I wanted it to happen at the time. Just kind of happened.
And for those that think I feel super confident in my presentation……. Oh pleeeze!
I about peed my pants when I saw someone in there, let alone addressed directly.
I look at it as a once in a lifetime acceptance event and let it go at that. It’s all I can do to go out in public, since I don’t do it very often. (Which brings up the idea for another thread!)
And no, I am not going to meet up for coffee. I’m married and don’t want even the hint of impropriety sneaking in. If I was single..? I really don’t think she was looking for anything more than contacting for the sake of business though.
I just don’t bring up my outings to my wife. Not for fear of anything. It’s just that she has been on the down side of the Cding acceptance wave for the last year or so and does very little with me anymore in that regards. She encourages me to go out mind you – for myself – she just doesn’t want to be a part of it. So out of respect I just don’t talk about things. Being Stephanie around the house is enough. This adventure falls into the “don’t ask –don’t tell” category. Thanks again for such kind words from all.

Shelly Preston
10-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi Stephanie

This is one of those times that makes you feel amazing

Being treated like any other woman is special I can think of no better experience :D

Persephone
10-24-2010, 01:58 AM
You did what any there woman would do and helped another woman in distress. The fact that you did just what was asked and then moved on to your own business further explains the why no handcuffs. If we present ourselves as women and then act like ladies we will all have fewer problems.As for passing you are selling yourself short, you dressed to blend and that is just what you did.

:yt::iagree:
Contrary to some opinions, I think you passed, that she took you at face value and had no questions whatsoever. Totally agree with Paulette's assessment -- you acted "normal," therefore you were "normal."

Way to go!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Bootsiegalore
10-24-2010, 09:21 AM
That is awsome! She was most likely so preoccupied that she did not notice.

Rachel

SheriM
10-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Nice post Steph. It's great to hear a good experience and glad you were able to get out. We have to get out into the world if we are going to have those positive experience. I have had a few good experiences but usually think of what to say when it is too late.
SheriM

Diane Elizabeth
10-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Like everyone else, I thought your story was fantastic. I can only hope of someday getting accepted as you were. Of course if I am not then I would be in jail as you were expecting.

Megan70
10-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Similiar story here but not in the ladies room which I had just come out off, but on the shopping floor of Kmart where I come across a confused, frustrated man in the hoisery section (my favorite) and calls me over to help him . He has a note in his hand from his wife as to which kind of pantyhose to get but is very confused. I say " sure, let me find it for you". He's says "thank you mame, you're a doll", and moves on. Watching nearby is a woman who moments before thought she read me as a guy by testing my voice in asking me a question, but after watching my female assistance and hearing my feminine voice to this beleagured husband is now convinced thet she was wrong. I really 'was' a woman' She smiles and moves on.
headline of story. CD in store helps male shopper find Pantyhose for Wife.( cool)

jjjjohanne
10-24-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm wondering if this woman in the bathroom was stealing the dress and you're now an accomplice... :)

Claire Cook
10-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Stephanie,

Thanks for sharing a terrific story, and you were wonderful in being so cool about it. Something for the rest of us to think about when we use the ladies' room - we should be prepared to see others in possible states of undress if not distress. And a lesson: we'll never know when we can help someone out, and by doing so we'll take mopre steps toward tolerance, if not acceptance.

Sophie86
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
That was a great story, Stephanie! :)

I come across a confused, frustrated man in the hoisery section (my favorite) and calls me over to help him . He has a note in his hand from his wife as to which kind of pantyhose to get but is very confused.

That makes me wonder, cause I've used the "note from my wife" dodge before. "See, it's okay for me to buy these, I have a note from my wife! Everyone see my note? I'm holding it very conspicuously in my hand and looking befuddled." LOL. The only thing that could make that scenario better is if the woman who read you was actually a very passable tgirl. :heehee:

Laura Evans
11-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Steph, having met you in drag and drab I would say you pass very well in looks, don't know about the voice but do know that some women have voices closer to a males. Can't speak to your lack of confidence since that is an internal matter and from a lack of practice being out in public. I understand your situation which does make it harder to get that experience, I feel for you dear as I have been there. Things have changed so much for me since my present gf (the same one you met) has been so accepting allowing me to go out in public and developing that confidence. I loved your story and how you felt so a part of the womanly world and accepted by this strange woman so readily. I was not surprised to hear that part since, as I said previously, I do think you pass. I was envious reading your story. Good for you girl. Hugs.

RachelRICD
11-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I have a deep voice. Actually had a career as a voice over artist and radio announcer. I simply talk softer and maybe a little higher and seem to pull it off ok. I think people trust what they see a little more than what they hear. I work as a female 5 days a week now and in those occasions when I speak to strangers in the office I always get a "ma'am" for the most part.

NV Susan
11-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I guess you just can't pick the days that are going to be great.OMG Stephanie, this last line brings the whole story together!! Acceptance is so wonderful when out en femme, no matter if you "pass" or not.

anonymousinmaryland
11-06-2010, 06:33 AM
A good read. Thanks for sharing.

SherriePall
11-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Stephanie == I think this story goes to show that too many of us worry about passing when there are so many GG's whose size, looks, and voices are so varied that any of us, even on a bad day, could actually be a GG mistaken for a male. I think that we should all relax and enjoy ourselves when we go out and about and just keep them guessing.