PDA

View Full Version : Hormone Therapy Question and Answer

Tamera
10-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Hello,
Its been awhile since I have been here and have possibly missed questions regarding Hormone therapy.

I have seen read what M to F hormone therapy will and won't do however, I have heard contraditions as well. For instance some say "It will do nothing for facial hair" yet others claim that facial hair is reduced or diminished completely. Also some claim to have had regrowth of hair on their head. Some claim that belly hair, ear hair, nose hair and leg hair is either reduced, less noticable or completely diminished.

I do know it will cause breast growth and that growth depends on your mother I have heard. Most I read get an a or b cup but I do know of 2 TG's that have gotten D and DD cups.

I heard that it will shrink the prostate and the genital area and that the desire of sex will be limited if not at all.

As for legs and arms looking more fem I have not heard much about this.

I have heard that weight gain is possible.

I don't know about the buttox and the hip area, if those will fill in or just be left the same.

I also heard that skin will get softer and opening up a jar of peanut butter for example may be a challenge.

Anything I have left out and if anyone feels to comment on what and what not to expect with HRT is appreciated. I am sure it is a individual basis on the outcome but it would be nice to know what the majority of differences will be.

Thank You,
Tamera

CharleneT
10-21-2010, 12:59 PM
There is a trend in what you have heard, that is the results vary a lot from person to person. That much I will guarantee you is true ! Part of that variation is because the term "HRT" refers to a group of drugs, given in different combinations. Hence, depending on which combination you take, you can get somewhat differing results.

Hope
10-21-2010, 02:45 PM
There is a trend in what you have heard, that is the results vary a lot from person to person. That much I will guarantee you is true ! Part of that variation is because the term "HRT" refers to a group of drugs, given in different combinations. Hence, depending on which combination you take, you can get somewhat differing results.

Yup, lots of variation... and because there is so little information available to endos about how to treat us, and because every one of us has a different health status from the get-go, everyone is doing something different... So comparing results is impossible.

Also I am convinced that it has something to do with your genes. Notice the variation in cis women... they don't all have DD boobs and hairless bodies either. I mean, sure, 95% of them do... but by no means all...

Michelle I
10-21-2010, 02:50 PM
After starting hormones do you find any changes are apparent in the first couple of weeks? From all that I have read it seems that most changes are not apparent for 2 to 3 months.

Teri Jean
10-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I have been on HRT since March and the results are there but as before don't expect a lot of change and what you get will take time. Since everyone is different see your endrocrynologist and she or he can explain what is likely to happen while on HRT and they will do a physical and blood work for a basis for the future. I forgot, I assume you have your therapists recommendation first as it is necessary. Lastly, DO NOT SELF MEDICATE. These drugs are just that and they have side affects that may be hazardous to your health.

ReineD
10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
And to add to the OPs questions, would the age at which HRT begins also have an affect on the depth and the speed of any changes? In other words, if the same person should take the same combination of drugs at age 25 vs. age 50, would the results be different?

Tamera
10-21-2010, 04:01 PM
ReineD,
I heard the same thing that Hormone therapy can be effected by the age one starts therapy. For instance if one was to start HRT before puberty, it would have a better affect. Unfortunately I was not that lucky and am looking into therapy in my "older" age.

I guess if one is not satisfied with the results, a person could just stop HRT. But I heard that can have bad results also. I know of one girl who stopped because she could not afford it anymore and started to get headaches. I know of another who stopped after like 4 years and was considered "full time" who now has a girl friend and is considered "part time". Even though when she was full time went and had her name and gender marker changed on her DL.

ReineD
10-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I was wondering about this, although it isn't something that can be answered easily since people are only the one age when they do start HRT, and of course everyone is different. How can a comparison be made?

I was hoping that members here might have an idea though. :)

Melody Moore
10-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi Reine

I would think the results of HRT would vary quite considerably between people because of the types of drugs & the dosage, your age, your genetics, your natural hormone levels etc. However there are typical patterns about HRT will affect most of us, but how fast? and how severe? the affects will be will vary quite considerably.

One way I guess we could find out is to have a thread here with a questionnaire asking questions of each of us about these variables and see if there is any typical patterns that can be established.

CharleneT
10-21-2010, 05:01 PM
The age thing is important, the "when's" and "how much" parts are harder to give any kind of answer for though. One thing for sure: if you started HRT prior to the onset of puberty**, the effects will be much more extensive (due in part to the fact that your body hasn't been modeled by testosterone/estrogen yet). Faster ? Not probably. After the onset of puberty and before the end of bone growth, it is likely that HRT may have some more effects because your basic "structure" is not completely set. Once you get past about 22 or so, it starts to get much more murky - about whether an early start really will mean more changes. It seems that people who start earlier have greater results, but as mentioned above, there is no "control" group. Hence the question is not answered by any particular example. Since there are no studies of this (that I've ever heard of) then there is no way to know. It makes sense that older people would have less change simply because at a certain point your body starts to decline more than grow. Having a sudden burst of new growth would be harder in that situation. Many of us do not start HRT until we are around 40's or 50's, so our bodies are definitely in decline part of the curve. Sometimes I think that the younger starters look more <fill-in the blank> simply because they are younger and the changes are mixed with a body that looks - in our cultures opinion at least - better.

You will often see it written that after a certain age, the changes are greatly attuenated. Maybe, but there are no studies of it, nor is there a way to prove that. Genetics play a huge role in these body changes, and there is no way to know "what you would have gotten", if you had been born in your target gender. The only consistent answer I have noted in personal narratives is that the changes that do occur, are often less than what the person wanted (for all ages).

** there are examples of this today, not so much in the USA though ( due to the medical establishments attitudes mostly ).

Tamera
10-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Does'nt the body though have a certain number for hormones like it does for chromosomes. Lets say a girl is XX. Shouldn't her hormone level be lets say 55 and if she has facial hair then lets say she has a 50 and giving her another 5 of estrogen would get rid of the facial hair. So givin this scenerio shouldn't TG's be given a dose that would give them the ratio of 55 and a t-blocker to keep that level in check.

I was also reading where males receive the extra x chromosome at birth making them xxy instead of xy.

I found a web site that talks about hormone levels. Now if you was to take 100 people on HRT and give them the same levels, shouldn't you get the same results?

Here is the website. http://www.livestrong.com/article/63806-list-normal-hormone-levels-women/

Melody Moore
10-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Does'nt the body though have a certain number for hormones like it does for chromosomes. Lets say a girl is XX. Shouldn't her hormone level be lets say 55 and if she has facial hair then lets say she has a 50 and giving her another 5 of estrogen would get rid of the facial hair. So givin this scenerio shouldn't TG's be given a dose that would give them the ratio of 55 and a t-blocker to keep that level in check.

The answer to that is 'No' because there is not a set number of hormones in any of us really & recent studies show that it is extremely variable according to our genetics and exposure to sex hormones while we were still in the foetal stage of development in our mother's womb. There has been lots of discussion recently on this topic here: Naturally occurring sex hormones in M to F Transsexuals (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?141518-Naturally-occuring-sex-homeones-in-M-to-F-TS). and its effect on our psyche & sexual orientation. If you see my latest post (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?141518-Naturally-occuring-sex-homeones-in-M-to-F-TS&p=2298051&viewfull=1#post2298051) on page 2 of that thread you will see lots of evidence into these studies carried out from the mid 1990s and its still ongoing.

I found a web site that talks about hormone levels. Now if you was to take 100 people on HRT and give them the same levels, shouldn't you get the same results?

Here is the website. http://www.livestrong.com/article/63806-list-normal-hormone-levels-women/Such benchmarks simply cannot be applied to male to female transsexuals because of the fact we are completely different to natal females, so I wouldnt even consider any of this data.

Tamera
10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
But in HRT therapy don't they use a graph that is similiar to a genetic female to give to MtoF's to accomplish similiar results?

Melody Moore
10-21-2010, 06:12 PM
But in HRT therapy don't they use a graph that is similiar to a genetic female to give to MtoF's to accomplish similiar results?
I believe its nothing to do with actually achieving results, its more about keeping your hormones in a safe range while getting the maximum benefit from HRT. As someone else mentioned earlier there is a high risk of complications such as blood clots & Thrombosis while on HRT, especially if your levels get too high from my understanding and this is why you should NEVER self-medicate & should only take hormones under proper medical supervision. I seen my endo last Monday and he was concerned about my rapid breast development, so he took blood samples to test my hormone levels and told me they might have to look at reducing my dosage.

Anyway, Im no expert like most of us here, you really should be consulting a professional about such issues.

Stephenie S
10-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Dear Tamera,

I will give you one overall answer and then answer what I can within your post.

The reason you think you have read so many contradictions is because the ONLY way to find out what hormone therapy will do for you is to try it and see. This is a fact. The results vary SO much from person to person that there is really no way to predict what it will do for you.
I have seen read what M to F hormone therapy will and won't do however, I have heard contraditions as well. For instance some say "It will do nothing for facial hair" yet others claim that facial hair is reduced or diminished completely. Also some claim to have had regrowth of hair on their head. Some claim that belly hair, ear hair, nose hair and leg hair is either reduced, less noticable or completely diminished.

Hormone therapy has little to NO effect on your beard. Pretty much NO effect. Hair on the rest of your body may likely diminish to some extent. Hair on your head MAY thicken slightly if you start hormone therapy early enough. Hormone therapy will NOT cure baldness.

I do know it will cause breast growth and that growth depends on your mother I have heard. Most I read get an a or b cup but I do know of 2 TG's that have gotten D and DD cups.

Hormone therapy may enlarge your breasts. Again, this will be effected by when you start. It is a myth that you will get one cup size smaller than your mother. No guarantees. I seriously doubt that those DDs were caused by hormone therapy alone. I think someone is pulling your leg. They might have gotten D and DD breasts, but they didn'[t get them from hormoine therapy.

I heard that it will shrink the prostate and the genital area and that the desire of sex will be limited if not at all.

Shrink the prostate? Nope. Other drugs will, but not hormones. Your libido? (sex drive) Yup. That will disapear.

As for legs and arms looking more fem I have not heard much about this.

Neither has any one else.

I have heard that weight gain is possible.

Well, duh. All you need to do to gain weight is eat too much. That has little to do with hormone therapy.

I don't know about the buttox and the hip area, if those will fill in or just be left the same.

Buttocks and hips will stay the same (skinny), unless you are fat, in which case you will be fat there, just as if you didn'y take hormone therapy.

I also heard that skin will get softer and opening up a jar of peanut butter for example may be a challenge.

Yup. This may happen.

Anything I have left out and if anyone feels to comment on what and what not to expect with HRT is appreciated. I am sure it is a individual basis on the outcome but it would be nice to know what the majority of differences will be.

Notice that I have referred throughout this post to hormone THERAPY. It's really not HRT (hormone replacement therapy) as you did not have those hormones to begin with, so you can't REPLACE them. That term, HRT, is really only applicable to females.

Let me repeat that there is absolutely NO way of predicting what effect hormone therapy will have on you. You have to do it for yourself and find out. We have a common saying: YMMV (your milage may vary).

Thank You,
Tamera

Tamera
10-21-2010, 08:24 PM
So many variables. So many theories. By the way the girl who has DD's is a black TG. One thing we have not touched on is heredity. Many black GG's have big boobs and maybe due to heredity a black TG may develop the same way. I hope we will get others to join this thread and see/hear what they have to say.

Tamera
10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Besides heredity I also meant ethnic background.

Stephenie S
10-21-2010, 11:10 PM
It's EXTREMELY unlikely that hormone therapy alone will produce DD breasts on a male. She may very well be a large overweight female, in which case she may have larger than normal breasts ANYWAY. Hormone therapy just doesn't work that well on genetic males. Almost EVERY post-op transwoman that I know or know of eventually gets breast augmentation.

Obtaining large breasts from hormone therapy alone is a common misunderstanding. It just don't happen. I know, I know, I have heard the same fantastic claims that you have. But in reality, they are fantasy or outright lies.

African/American women as a group have large breasts? No. It's also a myth that African/American males as a group have large penises. Myth.

There are just NO rules about this. As I said before, YMMV.

S

Melody Moore
10-21-2010, 11:37 PM
So many variables. So many theories.
You are right, there are so many variables, but its more than just theories here if you read the results of Dr Dick F. Swaab's research (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?141518-Naturally-occuring-sex-homeones-in-M-to-F-TS&p=2298051&viewfull=1#post2298051) because should be very obvious that he is a very credible expert who has obviously dedicated his life to this subject & is also supported by so many other genetic experts like him in this field.

jessicaheartt09
10-21-2010, 11:40 PM
hrt therapy will have a great deal of changes to your body over time. Weight gain in different areas (re-distribution of fat) but you need to still watch your weight. Your metabolism will most likely slow down from what it is before hrt. Hair growth will diminish or slow but not completely and varies on the individual. Breast growth is not quick! It takes time like it does for a normal teenager. Size will vary based on genes and age and will take several years to completely grow. Your face will change alittle over time but is also based on age. I hope this helps

Melody Moore
10-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Almost EVERY post-op transwoman that I know or know of eventually gets breast augmentation.

Stephanie, thats not true, my housemate is post-op and she hasn't had breast augmentation and the same goes with 3 other pre-op transsexuals I also know, all have good sized breasts. I also know that injectable hormone Progynon my housemate is using & one of the other TS girls I just mentioned who also uses has quite significant changes in their hips & thighs, I believe they actually get their shots in this region of their bodies which is more than likely also contributing to their hip development.

Tamera
10-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Regarding Breast Growth, I have heard some to take up to 12 months and others up to 3 months. Some girls are satisfied having a or b cups and do not get the augmentation. I say whatever fits the form of your body.

Stephenie S
10-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Stephanie, thats not true, my housemate is post-op and she hasn't had breast augmentation and the same goes with 3 other pre-op transsexuals I also know, all have good sized breasts. I also know that injectable hormone Progynon my housemate is using & one of the other TS girls I just mentioned who also uses has quite significant changes in their hips & thighs, I believe they actually get their shots in this region of their bodies which is more than likely also contributing to their hip development.

What do you mean "it's not true"'? Of course it's true. I'm not lying to you. Read it again. I said, "ALMOST every post op transwoman I know or know of eventually gets BA."

I didn't say ALL. And I was referring to, of course, the ones that I knew or knew of. You Aussies may be an entirely different breed, although I do know a couple down there.

Now I happen to know a bunch of transwomen. I've been around this comunity a while. You may know all four TG women who are the exceptions to this rule. And one of them is also your housemate. But these results that you report are just not typical. "Significant changes in hips and thighs" from hormone therapy alone just doesn't happen except in fantasy stories. Could it happen? Of course it could. But for you to know four TG women who have received large breasts and significant hip and thigh development from taking hormone therapy alone is interesting. How many other TG women do you know?

Those girls inject Progynon (estradiol valerate) in the gluteous muscle not to develope the fat in that area, but because estradiol injections MUST be given DEEP into the muscle area which allows the medication to seep out gradually into the blodstream until the next injection. It matters not which muscle you use, but that is a convenient one. Many others use the thigh muscle because it's easier to reach.

I do know of what I speak.

I have heard all those stories too. But I also LIVE in the world. I travel in the world. And I am old enough to have had considerable experience.

Maybe Aussies are different. I'm sure they WANT too be. Maybe the air down under is different? LOL.

Stephie

And I am sure that you know that the larger hip width enjoyed by most (see that word "most"?) natal women comes from a wider pelvic development to enable easier childbirth in the female. Of course you do. It's hard to mimic that with fat. Much easier to mimic it with padding.

Melissa A.
10-22-2010, 09:44 AM
As was said, milage may vary. In some respects I have been very lucky in two years(pretty good re-growth and thickening on head, almost a complete dissapearance of body hair) and in some, not so much(nice, round almost B cup breasts that have unfortunately, grown rather far apart, with no chance for any cleavage without augmentation) My face hasn't really changed, other than looking older. Neither have my hips or butt. Didin't expect them to, either. One needs to be real about this. Hormones have made me feel better. Taken away alot of anxiety, emotional, sexual, and physical. My senses of smell and touch are more important to me now, for some reason. Not enhanced. More important. I want to smell and touch everything, and I like that. The emotion thing is true, but while I do cry more easily and for no apparant reason sometimes, it's not like I'm a blubbering mess, either, and I think much of it has to do with getting help when I desperately needed it back when I hit a crossroads. ie; I feel because I now allow myself to. That has come more from self-awareness and liking me and where I'm headed than any drug. The changes from the neck up have been so much more important to me than the changes in my body. Hormone therapy allowed me to live again in many ways; similarly, emotional therapy, and ending decades of denial has allowed me to step forward in my life without fear. Every anecdote you hear is just that, and one needs to assume that it probably will not happen for them. Expect what is average for your age, physically. Be grateful if you exceed that. The emotional and cultural minefields that go with transition in this society are real. Don't ever disount the importance of navigating them. Hormone therapy is great, but there is so much more.

Hugs,

melissa:)

Stephenie S
10-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Melissa has hit it pretty much spot on.

Nice post dear.

Stephie

CharleneT
10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Regarding Breast Growth, I have heard some to take up to 12 months and others up to 3 months. Some girls are satisfied having a or b cups and do not get the augmentation. I say whatever fits the form of your body.

Not sure where you are hearing some of this stuff . . . but let's start with this one. Absolutely not going to be having significant breast growth in 3 months. 12 months would be a short time for such. Hormones, regardless of dose, cannot make your breasts grow any faster than they would in the average natal female. So, full breast growth for a MTF TS will take 2-5 years. That is a little shorter than a natal female because in TS's on hormones, the growth cycle quits a bit early.

I also believe that Melissa's post is quite wonderful and worth a second read.

Tamera
10-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I do like Melissa's post.
It would be nice to do a survey on this site for those taking hormones and see what each ones' development was. Maybe kinda like do our own case study since no one else has. Everyone knows of other girls who have had different results. I do believe that each of us is telling what we know and that it is true.

One thing we have not touched on yet is attraction to the male gender. I heard that some (not all) after being on hormones either find themselves attracted to men or their desire is pretty much out the window. I also know of one TG who is on hormones that has a relationship with a GG female.

Tamera
10-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Come to think of it..... Lets do our own survey.... I have not taken hormones yet but I do want to learn more before I commit.

All girls taking hormones I want to hear the changes that you have noticed physically and emotionally and an approximate time period that these changes took place. This will be from your personal experience only, others that you know or have talked to are not included in this for it is heresay and not from them personally. This will be our personal survey, if you will.

Melody Moore
10-22-2010, 05:31 PM
What do you mean "it's not true"'? Of course it's true. I'm not lying to you. Read it again. I said, "ALMOST every post op transwoman I know or know of eventually gets BA."

I didn't say ALL. And I was referring to, of course, the ones that I knew or knew of. You Aussies may be an entirely different breed, although I do know a couple down there.Its just the way you comment comes across, it's like your almost saying that all trans-women get Breast Augmentation which isn't true because many like myself will consider a lot of the other negative factors with Breast Augmentation such as having to have them replaced ever 10 years or so and the cost, inconvenience & pain involved often decide against it.

Now I happen to know a bunch of transwomen. I've been around this comunity a while. You may know all four TG women who are the exceptions to this rule. And one of them is also your housemate. But these results that you report are just not typical. "Significant changes in hips and thighs" from hormone therapy alone just doesn't happen except in fantasy stories. Could it happen? Of course it could. But for you to know four TG women who have received large breasts and significant hip and thigh development from taking hormone therapy alone is interesting. How many other TG women do you know?
Actually Stephanie I do know a lot more as well in both my local community but one had her SRS way back in 1978 and there is no way you could never tell she once was a male. There are several others who are also in the earlier stages of development. I also now many others through the Australian Transsexual Support Network and through other international sites like this one.

And I am sure that you know that the larger hip width enjoyed by most (see that word "most"?) natal women comes from a wider pelvic development to enable easier childbirth in the female. Of course you do. It's hard to mimic that with fat. Much easier to mimic it with padding.I am fully aware of this Stephanie, however some transsexuals (myself included) who do have naturally wider hips due to androgyny which from my understanding is caused by a number of factors, chromosomes, natural hormones & genetics that is often found in those the transsexual community.

Personally this was something that I use to feel really embarrassed about as a teenager & young adult because I use to get teased & bullied a lot about it. So I hid my female hip ratio arms & shoulders by packing on more weight around my mid-section and by working out a lot in the gym & through martial arts to build up these areas of my upper torso. However now that I am rapidly losing weight & muscle tone my female hip ratio is becoming much more apparent again and to a point that even my doctors have noticed it. :) But you are right about bone structure - if it didn't develop naturally, then it certainly wont ever change though taking hormones however fat deposits will be relocated to bring out a more feminine form.

As was said, milage may vary. In some respects I have been very lucky in two years(pretty good re-growth and thickening on head
I think it all depends on the type of baldness that affects you. Again there could be hereditary genetic factors behind why hormones won't cure baldness. I was receding heavily over the past 7 years because of steroids I was taking for medical reasons & I started to believe I was doomed to permanent baldness. It even looks like in my photos before I started transitioning that I had no hair whatsoever in the front of my head & I use to hide this by wearing baseball type caps all the time which also contributed to my hair loss problem.

What was happening there I think was that my hair had become very thin & fragile from the steroids that it was breaking off. However hair follicles must have always been there because since I stopped taking the steroids & started taking hormones my hair is also thickening again & starting to also come back again. The regrowth of my hair in just over 2 months of being on hormones is already significantly noticeable. So it will be very interesting to see how the state of my hair is after 12 months to 2 years of HRT.

Come to think of it..... Lets do our own survey.... I have not taken hormones yet but I do want to learn more before I commit.

All girls taking hormones I want to hear the changes that you have noticed physically and emotionally and an approximate time period that these changes took place. This will be from your personal experience only, others that you know or have talked to are not included in this for it is heresay and not from them personally. This will be our personal survey, if you will.

While I personally think your idea is a good idea, I think it will be impossible to gauge this accurately through our own survey without proper scientific data because there are far too many variables with regards to age, chromosomes, natural hormones & genetics & intersexuality which I believe are the biggest factors that affect us in our transitioning.

CharleneT
10-22-2010, 09:00 PM

ahem ... there are both FTM and MTF transexuals here, so it isn't just "you girls". I think if you want to know what might happen if you started to take hormones, you should talk to your doctor(s) about it.

Tamera
10-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Charlene,
You are right there is also FtoM here. I am sorry for leaving you out. This conversation would be good to get some response from them as well. I know of 3 FtoM's that are taking hormones and they look just like a "genetic male". So if any FtoM's want to respond go ahead for this is a "Hormone Thread" aso all imput is welcome.

Once agains sorry for leaving the FtoM's out. As for the survey it is only to give us an idea of the affects of hormones on each individual and I think any survey is better than no survey.

As for baldness. I heard once the hair follicle is dead it won't grow back. Rogaine is suppose to help lively up the follicle but it too won't help a dead follicle.

Melody Moore
10-23-2010, 05:44 AM
As for baldness. I heard once the hair follicle is dead it won't grow back. Rogaine is suppose to help lively up the follicle but it too won't help a dead follicle.There is obviously different types of baldness and I did mention this in my last post. Its now obvious that my hair follicles are not dead or I wouldnt be seeing any regrowth at all. Before I was put on steroids I had very thick strands of hair and no hair loss, so obviously my hair STRANDS themselves became fine & brittle and therefore broke off very easily - I was also suffering from a very low immune system at the time as well when I was being treated with steroids which is another thing that obviously contributes to hair loss - see: http://www.quickhairlosstreatment.com/hair-articles/frontal-hair-loss.html

Causes of Frontal and Temple Hair Loss:
Hormonal fluctuation, weak immune system and nutrition deficiency are leading causes of frontal and temple hair loss. Androgen is the male sex hormone produced by prostate glands which is later converted into DHT. Normal amount of DHT is necessary but when is it exceeds the limit, it destroys hair follicles. Hair follicles are very susceptible to DHT concentration in your blood.

Weak immune system is another contributing factor. Weak immune system responds badly to even useful substances invading your body by producing antibodies. These antibodies cause to destroy hair follicles.

Lack of nutritious substances such as vitamins and zinc can cause server hair loss. Zinc is essential for follicular health and healthy hair growth.
Vitamin E is an essential vitamin for follicular growth and health. It relaxes the tiny blood capillaries ensuring rich supply of blood and oxygen towards hair follicles.

Conclusion:
According to American Council of Hair Loss, nearly 2 out of 3 persons experience hair loss and most of them begin with frontal hair loss and thinning. Usually it is considered as a symptom of aging, but both teenagers and adults can experience frontal hair loss. It is totally curable if treated in its initial stages, as otherwise, it will be difficult. Do use herbal hair tonics and include them in your daily routine, do so, will essentially reduces the risk of hair loss and enhances the follicular health.Note it does say it is curable if treated in the initial stages & in later stages treating it is difficult but it does not state anywhere that it's not untreatable. I am no longer taking steroids my hair is returning to a much healthier state & going by the fact that others who have slight baldness have reported regrowth then its entirely possible that the hormones are also helping my hair strands to become thicker & stronger helping regrowth.

I have also been to a transsexual social group meeting today and many of the issues I have been discussing lately on this forum I also brought up to the group today and one such discussion was about this topic. One of the girls had a hair loss issue as well and she told me about some medications that will also help regrowth in my situation, so this is something Im going to be talking to my doctor about next week.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_of_baldness

Tamera
10-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Thanx for the clarification Melody. I also noticed some GG's haveing hair loss as well expecially in their later years.

Melody Moore
10-23-2010, 06:56 AM
I also noticed some GG's haveing hair loss as well expecially in their later years.
Thyroidism is one of the most common medical conditions to cause hair loss for women especially in younger Premenopausal women, again the hair becomes fine & brittle and breaks off easily. But also as we age, our bodies produce less or our natural sex hormones hence the reason why older men start get 'man boobs' and women start growing more facial hair so this could also be a reason why women start to suffer hair loss post-menopause. The Androcur (Testosterone Inhibitor) I take is also used to treat hirsutism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirsutism) & female androgenization in Postmenopausal and hysterectomised women I do believe & its also reported to also help hair loss in males as well. The most common side affect of Androcur I have been told is depression but so far I havent been affected at all.

Tamera
10-23-2010, 01:46 PM
MelodyN,
I see you are from Australia. How is the Transgender community treated their? Is is easy to find a job being Transgendered? What about laws to help protect against discrimination? Also anything else you can offer living as a TG in Australia.

Melody Moore
10-23-2010, 02:07 PM
MelodyN,
I see you are from Australia. How is the Transgender community treated their? Is is easy to find a job being Transgendered? What about laws to help protect against discrimination? Also anything else you can offer living as a TG in Australia.
I am very fortunate to be living in one of the best places in Australia & most likely the entire world for transitioning from what I now understand - our local sexual health clinic is a one stop shop we have several endocrinologist & psychologists and our services are free and it seems to be about the only place in Australia that does all of this. I also get subsidised HRT. I personally believe my local services is one of the best models that other sexual health/gender centres should follow. The only thing I cant get done locally is SRS and we still have to go to Thailand if we want access to the best surgeons. There is a gender clinic ran by the Monash University that only uses the penile inversion method, but I do believe this is also under review with the view of improving services within Australia.

As for discrimination, we have some of the best Anti-discrimination laws of any nation in the world - both State (http://www.adcq.qld.gov.au/Brochures07/genderid.html) & Federal (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/ActCompilation1.nsf/0/B81F4D9D2C852754CA2576C1000B329C/$file/SexDiscrimination84_WD02.pdf) - all state laws are governed & can also be overridden by the Australian Human Rights Commission (http://www.hreoc.gov.au/sex_discrimination/index.html).

There is a public forum about to take place in Sydney & Melbourne which I have been invited to contribute my personal data to with the aim of helping to improve services as well as the laws for transgendered people in Australia. So our government seems to care about such issues whereas I have noticed that governments in other nations dont give a damn because the transgender community is such a minority in society.

As for finding work, that Im not to sure about yet because I have been going through the process of getting all my legal documentation changed over to reflect my new name & gender identity, but employers cannot discriminate - my housemate transitioned in her job without any problems.

Tamera
10-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Sure sounds better than here in the U.S. thats for sure. It seems unless you pretty much look like the girl you are not going to get the job even if you have the qualifications. Many TG's here have their own buisnesses that way they are their own Equal Opportunity Employer. There are some companies that are TG friendly and they are on HRC's website. Also we have companies that claim to be an Equal Opportunity Employer but its just words they "don't live by". As for the cost of HRT you have us beaten their as well. We pay for the cost of the doctor and our prescriptions. I know many who just get their drugs over the internet without seeing a doctor because of the cost.
Also even thought many restaurants for instance will let us use the bathroom that we are perceived that does not mean that a person can't call the ploice and site us for disturbing the peace. It seems that if the police can't site you for one thing there is always something else they can get you for.

CharleneT
10-23-2010, 04:45 PM
The price of HRT drugs does vary, wildly, around the USA. But if you are careful and have prescriptions, you can get by with around $10/month.

As for restaurants, or other businesses, don't make waves and they'll very likely treat you well - regardless of how well you blend in or whether TG folks are a protected class in that state. Here, the same advice as is given in the CD's main forum applies: they are much more interested in your wallet than your private life.

Karen564
10-23-2010, 04:47 PM
:heehee:Sorry,

All I can say here is, ....Wow...this has been very enlightening..:raisedeyebrow:

All the answers you seek ARE here & have been covered many many times over...you just have to dig for them...unless the search engine here is disabled..:whistling: