PDA

View Full Version : It's a small world- close call flying!

ReneeT
10-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I spent the week in Chicago and returned to the small city I live in today - Saturday. I flew out of Ohare at 0 dark thirty (6am), en femme. Ohare at that hour - I arrived at 0330 - is a ghost town. Interestingly, I felt more conspicuous than in a large crowd. Anyways, I flew to Charlotte, NC to change planes to my final destination. I had about an hour layover, so I sat at the gate. After about 10 minutes I looked up from the book I was reading and saw, not twenty feet away with no one between us, a coworker of mine waiting for the same plane! We know each other pretty well and have sat together in many meetings. He does not know Renee, however, and this was not the time or place for that meeting! He showed absolutely no interest in me and, when his head was turned, I casually got up and moved to another seat. I was a bit worried about plane ride itself, as it was a small puddle jumper and, by my calculations, there was an 8% chance we would be in the same row. Fortunately, he was in zone 1 and I was in zone 4 and we were nowhere near each other. The flight went fine and I walked right passed him as he was waiting for his bag plane-side without any recognition. It certainly did make me think about contingency planning, or BATNA for all you MBA's!

AKAMichelle
10-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Since I don't have an MBA, what does BATNA stand for?

I know about close calls since I had one on my flight to Springfield, MO 2 weeks ago. The GF of my client was most likely sitting in the row in front of me. Luckily I went through the entire flight unnoticed. Close Calls are good character builders. It should give you a lot of confidence that you aren't recognized in public. That co-worker was within range enough to figure it out but he didn't.

ReneeT
10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
You are right, Michele - these experiences can be good confidence builders

BATNA = Best Alternative To A Negotiated Agreement = "Plan B"

AndreaS
10-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Was wondering what you do when flying enfemme. Do you use a secondary femme ID with your male name and femme pic? Is there ever any questions asked at security when they match your ID with your ticket?

Would love to fly enfemme one day, but haven't had anywhere that I needed to fly to where I would have the opportunity.

KellyK
10-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I was wondering about the security as well, I thought they were pretty strict with identification.

KellyK
10-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh and Renee.... if I saw you in the airport, I would have a hard time not staring at you!! You are gorgeous!

sherri
10-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Oh and Renee.... if I saw you in the airport, I would have a hard time not staring at you!! You are gorgeous!

Definitely.

ReneeT
10-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Sherri and Kelly,

Thanks for the compliments! As for security, I have never had any real problem related to my male ID. For the record, while I don't pass more than half the time, and that's probably optimistic, I do not look anything like my male self. However, l have only had one instance where the tsa agent hesitated, and she seemed new. I said to her, in jest, "it looks just like me, doesn't it?". I then said, very matter of factly that I would be happy to remove my wig if she needed. That was good enough for her, and she smiled and sent me on my way. I think the key is being calm and confident, and that only comes with practice

prene
10-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't know how I would have handled it.
You did well.

Nice job

ReneeT
10-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Prene,

I have had my share of times in the past when I have "cut and run" . I eil still steer clear of certain situations, like groups of drunk guys. All in all, though, I think we get along pretty well in the world when we work to blend in

DianeDeBris
10-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Sherri and Kelly,
I then said, very matter of factly that I would be happy to remove my wig if she needed. That was good enough for her, and she smiled and sent me on my way.

Hi Renee -- what a glorious way to handle that situation, I love it and fully intend to steal it! BTW, I agree with what others have written, you're gorgeous and I would expect you to draw a great deal of attention! Hugs - Diane

AKAMichelle
10-25-2010, 08:28 AM
I think the key is being calm and confident, and that only comes with practice

I couldn't agree more.

ReneeT
10-25-2010, 12:12 PM
And practice is FUN!

Diane Elizabeth
10-25-2010, 03:47 PM
I9 have long hair which I wear in a ponytail at work. And no ponytail with some curl when enfemme. I feel I would be recognizable in either mode if caught. I have yet to travel by air dressed.

ReneeT
10-25-2010, 04:18 PM
I9 have long hair which I wear in a ponytail at work. And no ponytail with some curl when enfemme. I feel I would be recognizable in either mode if caught. I have yet to travel by air dressed.

"caught" is an interesting term. In my mind it implies that one was doing something the shouldn't be. Having said that, my post was entitled ".......Close Call". Close call for what? Why, getting caught, of course! I don't feel like i am doing something i shouldn't be- in fact, it feels quite natural. However, i would prefer to control how people learn about me. It's soooo complicated..........