PDA

View Full Version : Shaving

odelay
08-19-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm dying to get rid of unwanted hair on my legs (I dream of smooth silky legs... If only) but I'm having a few troubles doing so. I've done a few test runs, but I keep getting razor rash no matter what I've tried. From gels to foams, and then even in the shower with just hot water. Does anyone else have any better techniques? Waxing sounds like it's the best way out, but ack! The idea of ripping hair out of the folices just sounds painful.

Anyone willing to pass up some good tips?

Jennifer_Ph
08-19-2004, 10:47 AM
I have had good luck with the Schick Intuition razor. It really works wonders and it supplies it's own foam. A little pricy, but in my experience it's worth it!

odelay
08-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Not to mention... Itchy! Itchy! Itchy!

I've used moisturizers and every other lotions I could get my hands on, but that razor rash is just insanely itchy.

I think I need to make a trip down to the local drug store sometime soon and get myself some tools ;p

Sara Kat
08-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Anyone willing to pass up some good tips?
Venus Divine...

Reveal the Goddess in you!! :p

HillaryArtemis
08-19-2004, 11:48 AM
You could try using Body Shop products like their Body Butters followed by baby oil after your shave and then do this three times a day.

Good Luck - I love to shave.

JodiArtemis

Jocee
08-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Unfortunately no matter what you do, the first few times you shave you will have a high probablity of a rash, and then ingrowns....

I have found that over time, it just get's easier for the skin to handle it :)

ChristineRenee
08-19-2004, 02:23 PM
I have used both Schick Intuition and Venus Divine. Both work very well. I prefer the Venus Divine however because it is slimmer and a little easier to manuever around the more delicate areas.

When I first started shaving my legs, I would apply baby oil prior to using the foam or gel. And always make sure that you use a fresh blade. For best results, I only use the fresh blade one time. Since I only shave 1-2 times a week, I'm not going through blades excessively and get a very close smooth shave that way. You will get better and better with practice too. I rarely nick myself anymore and am fortunate that I don't have to deal with stubble either. Even my wife is jealous about that! And don't forget to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize afterward!

Good luck and smooth shaving!

Christine

odelay
08-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Ooh, now that feels great! I just finished up completely shaving my legs and all that other unwanted hair. Managed to get a awesome close shave, with minimal razor burn (back of my thigh took a bit of damage). I used my mach 3 razor that I had lying around, and used some great skin moisturizer on my legs right after, but I forget the name of it already (Green Ice or something..). It's awesome having smooth shiney legs :D

odelay
08-22-2004, 12:19 AM
Not to mention, I feel like I'm in heaven with pantyhose on. They loof great, and feel great. Best choice I've made in awhile ;)

carolynhcd
08-22-2004, 01:20 PM
this is a test

carolynhcd
08-22-2004, 01:47 PM
OK. Sorry for the test. I just joined today and I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to navigate the site. I guess I'm lucky that my legs aren't very hairy but I've gotten used to dry shaving. I had a horrible experience dry shaving about 15 years ago in San Francisco. I was there for the big earthquake in '89 and the aftershocks woke me up late one night when I was really drunk and I just reached over and grabbed a razor and started dry shaving my legs and the result was a total disaster. I couldn't bear to look at my legs for two weeks, they were so horribly scabbed. But since I decided that I have to be true to myself about ten years ago, I have tried many things to make my legs the way I feel girl's should be. Nair was worthless for me and shaving in the shower didn't yield much better results as I kept getting infected hair follicles on my upper thighs and bikini area. Finally, I started disinfecting my legs and razor with isopropyl alcohol and have had really nice results. From mid-thigh down, I no longer need take any precautions and simply dry shave while I have my tea and read the paper in the morning. My girlfriend, Christine, also uses a product called Bikini Zone after she shaves her pussy that has given her really good results. Anyway , since I'm a virgin (to this site anyway) I hope this is helpful and I would love to hear from all the girls out there for the support and help I can get. I have never been married because I always knew I had to be a sissy and waited until I found the perfect girl. My best advice to all young girlie-boys: don't cave in to anyone's expectations. I wish I had become a sissy in public when I was eighteen and still beautiful. One never really knows how things might have turned out however. I would have been engaged in the most dangerous activities in San Francisco at the height of the AIDS epedemic and might not be here today to wish you all well in my 5" ****-me pumps and beautiful red lace chemise (thank you Christine) and getting ready to give her toenails another coat. LOL, Carolyn

Alayna
08-23-2004, 12:17 AM
I've yet to find anything that works well. Usually, my calves are ok (I get really bad itching too), but everyting above the knee gets ingrown painful hairs. Maybe I'll try that alchohol idea. I'm about ready to break and spend the money on a waxing this winter, but I'm afraid. Very afraid. I'm one step below ape on the hair scale:eek: and would be in for a painful visit

Alayna
08-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Gotta keep this thread up front! Can any of you girls offer more insight into this? I'm trying something new starting tonight: I bought some Aveeno lotion that claims to soften and minimize hair within 4 weeks of continued use, making it easier to shave (not to mention keep the hairy ape syndrome in check). Anybody try this?

Sonya Love
08-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Here's a bunch of posts and advice I've collected from around the net about this. I didn't write any of these and I've not tried all these; it seems like the best thing to do is experiment and find what works best for you depending on how much hair you have, how much time, money, and patience you have for it, and how often you can do it. I shave in the tub with hair conditioner about once a week. Takes over an hour and about two disposable razors.

i know this is an old post for you, but i was reading it and i have THE solution.
shave with hair conditioner! believe me it works, especially in the bikini area where ingrown hairs are painful. be sure to use a fresh razor every time, preferably one for each leg and a separate one for your groin. stroke it on and leave it for a minute or two--then rinse your razor with hot water often. try to use many light strokes with the blade....if you have to press very hard to shave smoothly that irritates the skin and can encourage ingrown hairs and itchy soreness. Double bladed disposables are best, but not the ones marketed for sensitive skin, they dont cut as cleanly. pantene conditioner is the richest and best, but suave moisterizing conditioner works okay too. the best thing is, after shaving, there is no need to bath or to apply lotion...your skin will feel fantastic...

Shaving must be done in a bathtub. Showers waste water and may inconvenience. Remember, there is much cleaning to do afterwards.

Use only high quality women's razors, as men's razors just won't do. DO NOT use anything that resembles an electric device.
A soaking is required for a minimum of 10 minutes to soften the hair and skin, thereby allowing a smooth shave, and allowing your skin to remain intact. Since you have 10 minutes available, this is an appropriate time for a pedicure. Work soap into a foamy lather, and apply liberally over the area of attention. Do be sure to not apply in areas not planned for immediate shaving. DO NOT allow your razor to touch your skin that is not properly prepared.

Hold razor gently between index finger and opposing thumb.
Start at your toes, moving up to the tops of the feet taking extreme care over the anterior tibia and ankle. Be sure to clear ALL hair from legs, feet and thighs.
If this is your "first" time, shave in the direction of hair growth first, and then in the opposing direction after relather.
The backs of your thighs require the technique stated above (see #7). We recommend multiple directions after relathering.
Do take care behind your knees.
Do not forget your behind.

Some irritation is common the first time you shave your legs. It probably means that you scraped your skin as you shaved. Perhaps you used a straight razor to remove all that heavy hair? Pressed down hard like you would on your face?
If so, don't worry. A couple of days and the barber's rash should clear up. Caladryl may be a bit heavy for after shaving, though--any good hand and body lotion or hand cream will do fine.

For what it's worth (a little late for you), I use a barber's clippers (with no attachment for the closest trim) when I shave my legs or body for the first time in a long time. The electric is a lot easier on tender skin. I tried using an electric shaver, but body hair is too coarse to fit through the holes in the foil. So I use the clipper. Then after I have removed most of the hair, I go over it with a razor to finish the job. Use a light touch, an old blade, and water rather than shave cream.

Hope this helps.

Keep on with the mechanical depilator. it gets less painful with continued use AND the bulk of the hair disappears permanently

I tried Nudit,one of those creams..it took the hairs off and lasted for about 6 weeks, also worked well around the boobs and chest,arms etc.

The best way that I found to shave my legs is to use a Gillete Sensor Excel for women and Skintimate Shave Gel. It provides a smooth surface to shave your legs. After your are finished it will give you a smooth and satin legs.

Try a men's shave cream by Nivea-it is about twice as expensive as the others, but results are so much better that you will most likely forget the price. Also, NEVER try to "get by"on razors-use triple or even quad blade. Starting with those two things and a little practice, you will be an expert before you know it.
I always cover myself in baby oil after, too. My skin is now soft and smooth every day!

what I use is a bathwash (it's like liquid soap but not just for your hands) that has aloe in it. It helps heal any nicks or cuts, but also makes future shaving easier (or at least, I think it does). Also the lather acts as a lubricant so the razor glides more smoothly.

Another thing I've noticed is it's better to go in long, smooth strokes, rather than short, fast ones, just like shaving your face. And try to go over the same spot as little as possible. try and get the hairs with the first couple of passes, if possible.

And be sure to take more care around your knees and ankles. Besides the joints getting in the way, the skin there is usually a different texture and/or thickness, so it can be easier to cut.

odelay
08-24-2004, 11:43 PM
Very nice tips! I, myself, just did some shaving in the shower and a little dry shaving on the side after a couple of hours out of the shower. I did earn myself a little razor burn, but that's nothing for some moisturizers. Next time, I'll have to try out some of these other methods.

Alayna
08-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Thanks! I'll definitely give some of these a try. I've used skintimate gel before and it seemed like the best one (I've shaved two seperate periods for about a week each). I'm not going to clear the forest until shorts weather is over, but by that time I should know if that lotion works

Sara Kat
08-25-2004, 12:10 AM
It really sucks for me right now being that I only have a shower and I have to share it with my neighbor (Air Force dorms :rolleyes: ), so it's really difficult for me to do any shaving. I tried it once and it took forever and I got mediocre results. Hopefully I can get approved for my housing allowance and I can move into my own apartment with a nice tub! :)

odelay
08-25-2004, 12:14 AM
It takes forever to get rid of all the hair if you havn't touched it in a long time. It took me over 3 days to completely shave my legs.. The shower water would get so cold that I'd just jump out and put off finishing the shave until another day ;p

I can't believe I didn't think of jumping in the tub.

Sara Kat
08-25-2004, 12:16 AM
It takes forever to get rid of all the hair if you havn't touched it in a long time.
It was partly that and partly the fact that I couldn't soak in the tub and do it more efficently (and comfortably!).