PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a binder

Areyan
10-26-2010, 05:39 AM
hi all :)

i'm about to purchase my first binder and i've been doing a bit of reading/researching to see which ones would be most effective for my size/budget. i am unsure at this point which binder to buy but i am keen on the Underworks brands because they seem to be reputable from the reviews i have read... i have a large C cup (bordering on D) to compress so i was keen on the Double Front Compression Shirt #997 binder from Underworks but have read mixed reviews on how comfortable this shirt is on the stomach and i'm still unsure (i have a bit of belly area that could benefit from this but may also prevent me from going out and eating with it on)... i can't afford more than one right now so it's an important decision, lol.

i'm wondering if any guys here who are using/have used binders, which would you recommend for a first binder and why? i'd like to hear your opinions on this and if you have any tips on what worked for you to reduce rash, discomfort etc...

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Felix
10-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi ya might wanna google underworks medical binders for FTM coz ive always got mine from there and I know a lot of the guys here have used them too xx Felix :)

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fftm.underworks.com%2F&h=ab0d5

This might help :) click and it will take ya to the site :)

Adam
10-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I was the same size chest i large c/d and i used 997 binder from Underworks for many years!
i did try T-kingdom binders but they where a bit to tight and the velcro side was a bit uncomfy.
Also used mango zip up front binder was expensive but real nice to wear sadly though it dident last long before its zip broke.

If i was still getting binders i would for sure go for 997 the first time i did wear it i thought it was tight but after getting used to the tighness and how to get it on i found it was fine and i had it on fron getting up to going to bed

Felix
10-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Same here I've always used the 997 binders from Underworks they worked very well indeed :) xx Felix

Areyan
10-27-2010, 09:23 PM
awesome guys, thanks for the advice... placing my order soon. :D

oh i had one more question too err... i measured myself snugly under the breast and over the widest part and my measurements were 35.5-42

i'm thinking of purchasing the large size for 40-44.... are they bang on with their sizes or has anyone fit a smaller size comfortably? i don't want to hurt myself or anything stupid and i'm happy to buy the large size, but wondering if i would actually fit a medium? they are for chest size 35-39 and i'm on the borderline with the 35.5... i dunno... would you guys go for the medium or for safety go the large?

lol, sorry for the 20 questions, i'm so wanting to get a good fit.

Felix
10-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Before my liposuction I was a 38c/d cup and I have always got medium so as to get the maximum effect :) xx Felix

Areyan
11-14-2010, 10:14 PM
thanks again guys, the binder arrived today and i'm wearing it now. :D

Felix, much appreciated, your advice helped me decide on the right size and i am glad i talked to you guys first because i did end up buying the medium and it fits and compresses very nicely. at some point soon i hope to be posting some pix in the mens' gallery here, very excited... lol. just got to get a nice camera (mate has one, i don't) but looking forward to seeing it on film. these binders do work well, i'm impressed with the fit and it's not overly uncomfortable - should be able to eat a meal, no problem. :thumbsup:

wolfie2006
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
I have a quick question or two.
First, let me tell you that you guys are awesome with the way everyone supports each other, whether new to transitioning, or to those that have been around for a bit.
My question.....how do/did you know which type of binding was best for you? Trial and error, or recommendations from others? Or a bit of both? I recall from the days of performing as a male illusionist, that the old ace bandages and duct tape did the job, but only for so long. The bandages, at least for me, would always slip.
From my last measurements, I believe that I am a 36C. Any help is greatly appreciated. And I apologize if this question is a repeat from someone who had asked earlier.
Thanks,
Leslie

mistunderstood
03-10-2011, 04:28 PM
First ace bandages are really not good idea they can hurt you and you do not even notice till theres a problem. As for advice I trial and error it. Some days things work and sometimes it does not. Underworks has great choices for big guys( I consider c-cup and up as big) no offence. I am a 54 f cup. Since I ambigger I go for the man boob look. I have looked at a lot of guy pic's and have studied men's chest when I go out and about to shop. It is a great way to help you try and bind. That is how I get info for my-self.

wolfie2006
03-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks mistunderstood,
I was tooling aroung yesterday on the Undeworks website, and it looks as though some of the newer stuff is where I may be looking first.
I don't think that for me anyway, I will be going with the vest....looks a bit uncomfortable, but I could be wrong. I'm more of the tight t-shirt type anyway, and it looks like they have some really great stuff.
And sometimes the best way, as you said is trial and error.
Thanks again,
Leslie

Areyan
03-12-2011, 06:34 PM
hey there,

yes after trying it out and having no problems except for difficulty wearing it in hot weather and the times in my month where they're too uncomfy to bind :straightface: - yeah.... those times aren't fun, it's actually a great buy. i recommend it. because i live in NZ it cost me almost the same amount of money in $USD to pay for shipping costs as it did to purchase the binder - next time i'm getting two for that price.

after a few months of owning it, i can tell you it still binds VERY well and the compression panels are still working great. make sure you never tumble dry them i have heard. i wouldn't because i'm sure the heat would wreck the panels inside the shirt and render it useless... always air dry mine and because i only own the one so far i can't wear it every day. makes my days hell sometimes and i am considering another purchase soon.

if you're really having a hard time with dysphoria or it's just annoying the hell outta you while you wait to get a binder, try bulking up with layered, loose shirts or do what i do, weather permitting - wear a decent oversized coat or jacket. this also depends on your personal style as a man but i find nothing makes me feel more comfortable than this.

AnonyMouse
03-13-2011, 08:39 PM
On that note, I've also found that on the days when I get really dysphoric, a good-quality sports bra is usually enough to take the edge off. It helps that the offending lumps are on the small side, in my case - not as small as I'd like but about a B cup. I don't know how well it would work on larger breasts (though if one doesn't work you can try layering them, as well - but watch the thickness so you don't get too hot).

wolfie2006
03-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I think for the moment until my finances are a bit better, the layering look will be ok. Still researching as well. I will probably go with something from Underworks......affordable and more of what I've been looking for.
Thanks again guys,
Leslie

jack_skeletongrin
03-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Not JUST Underworks.
www.ftm.underworks.com

It's wear I get all my binders and firmers. (: Affordable.