PDA

View Full Version : Times, they're changin

Inna
10-27-2010, 12:59 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/us/politics/25transgender.html?ref=transsexuals

Traci Elizabeth
10-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe the exposure will ignite a spark of success. And I know we have to start somewhere but I still don't think that in my life-time, transgendered folks are going to be accepted into mainstream society.

Bree-asaurus
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
What the hell is with all the articles in the news saying "She was a man" ???!?!?!?

She has ALWAYS BEEN A WOMAN! How hard would it be to say "She was physically a man" ?????

</rant>

Melody Moore
10-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Maybe the exposure will ignite a spark of success. And I know we have to start somewhere but I still don't think that in my life-time, transgendered folks are going to be accepted into mainstream society.
I don't know about that Traci, I thought the exact same thing as you, especially 20 years ago. But much to my surprise I am accepted better than I ever expected - its especially nice to know that Anti-discrimination laws have been changed in Australia now to protect us and give us back our rights.

LaurenS.
10-27-2010, 08:58 PM
As we all know, our acceptance depends so much on where we live. My life is much easier because I live in Mass. Sometimes I think we think acceptance is much better than it actually is. While I agree things are changing dramatically we certainly have a long, long way to go. But I continue to be surprised by the acceptance I see and am very encouraged.
Bree I understand your frustration, but I think they'd have to be looking at it from our standpoint and I don't think we can always expect that. I think the article was well written and respectful but not a big news issue in San Francisco.
Lauren