PDA

View Full Version : Dressing my age???????????

SometimesKathryn
10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
I have tried to dress my age........my problem is, I love open toed heels, short skirts, low cut tops........and well, I like to look sexy. (and sometimes just flat out trashy) <G> On the other hand, I know that if I dress to fit my age more closely, that I will draw LESS attention.... (even though when I do I usually don't really like the way I look) Am I crazy?????

Do any of you other ladies deal with this also???

Lynn Marie
10-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes dear, as far as I can tell we all start out with the very styles that turn us on. Short, tight, and as trashy as possible. As time goes by and we get out a little, some of this gets tempered to just this side of "over the top".

As I get older, my skirts are getting longer and my heels are getting lower. But not by much!

Michelle James
10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Sure we all do. Especially if over 50. You know what? GG's do as well. For me I'm ok with it because I just want to fit in with the rest of the women where ever I go. That is not to say I am ready to buy a red hat and join up!! That's just me. if you want to be sexy go for it. There are many GG's who do the same. Just avoid the pink taffeta prom dress when going to the mall. LOL

minalost
10-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Saw a lady at the grocery store just yesterday. She HAD to be 70+ and she was dressed like a teenager - mini-skirt, printed tights/leggings, wildly dyed hair... It could have just been for Halloween, but I don't think so. Just goes to show that GGs do it too...

sissystephanie
10-29-2010, 12:01 PM
As one of the older (78) CD's on this forum, I have to answer this post! I have been a CD since I was 6 y/o. Of course when I was that young I did not wear dresses or skirts since I was a closet CD. But as I grew older and got more into CD'ing, I dressed in the way I wanted to look. Looking at my clothes, both on me and in the closet, I still dress that way!! I have never gone for the "trashy" look, although sometimes for a tight top!! My late wife always thought I should look like a lady, not a "Drag Queen!" I have dressed that way for many years, and still enjoy doing it!! If anyone is interested, my age bracket for CD'ing is an early 50's (age, that is) look!

Stephanie Miller
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Just my humble opinion....
Two clichés come to mind. "To each their own" & There is a time and place for most anything".
To me the question falls under the age inappropriate dress code. That would be person dressing in a manner that just doesn't fit the cultural expectation of the persons age. It could be clothing, hairstyle, makeup or something else. The reasons can vary. This is more a person either not realizing how they look dressed like that, or they might even be trying to pretend they are a different age (as a disguise or just being in denial about one's age). What you do in the privacy of your home is one thing. What you do in public should be taken with an ounce of thinking, responsibility & common sense.

Who knows - maybe they are..... But I don't think they are on their way to church!

Gina X
10-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I think everybody should develop their own individual style irrespective of age or in some cases gender. Obviously teenage styles won't suit the over 80's but within reason I think we can all mix and match to get an individual style without resorting to the over hyped stereotypes.

Lots of love Gina x

Karren H
10-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I wear what looks good on me no mater if its from the Jr department of the old ladies dept.

Sandy Banks
10-29-2010, 02:21 PM
:thumbsup:Everyone says I look younger than I am, so I dress younger.......................it works for me!

Suzette Muguet de Mai
10-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Funny, I always look at the person who is not of the norm. I appreciate their individualism and their guts to be seperate from the "in crowd". They display themselves and are proud to do so despite going against the social acceptables. So why do some conform to a so called norm. Dress for your age, yeh sure. I say dress to express yourself and be proud of it. So if I dress for my age, which group of aged do I attempt to conform? I have many friends of my age who belong to many social enclaves and within each they represent a clone of others within the group. I just think, if you enjoy dressing in torn stockings, ribbons tied round your thighs wear tutu and corset and hair is rainbowed go for it. If you prefer over sized short sleeved blouse over a pair of slacks and low heels with a purple rinse go for it. Me, I dress for me to be happy and simply look the other way. Sure you may draw attention but a very attractive person always will attract as will anyone who appears to differ from the so called norm. Dress to impress YOU.

AKAMichelle
10-29-2010, 03:27 PM
We can only roll the clock back so far. Unfortunately most of us are middle aged which means that we must look the part more. This just causes me to be filled with lots of regrets. If I could have started going out sooner, then I could have worn those outfits and looked cute. Now I just have to settle for age appropriate. It should be a 4 letter word.

Fab Karen
10-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Cher doesn't "dress her age"

tommietv
10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a denim minnie skirt I just love. You can sit but don't cross your legs. Love it with a lacy silk top tights and 3to4" heels. So I'm 63 I'm not dead my late wife always said I was a ****. Lovd Cher.
Tommie

Dallas46
10-29-2010, 11:58 PM
My wife says that I dress frumply - but I'm 64 not 16 - so long skirts are best I think!

sometimes_miss
10-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Cher doesn't "dress her age"

Right. If you're trying to fit in, then by all means blend in by looking as close to a real female as you can, if that means looking like an elderly, frumpy wrinkled old woman and you want that look, fine. I wear what I wear because I feel like I'm supposed to be wearing it, not because I think other people think I should be wearing it. I'm quite happy in my teen girl outfits.

Ann-Marie
10-30-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm 57 anf currently enjoy the mini skirt, tight jean look which is probably not appropiate for my age. Guess as I get better at dressing I will progress to a more casual look appropiate to my age. Think many of the mature dressers on the furum look sensational in more mature outfits.
Would like to be able to do the same

julie w
10-30-2010, 07:48 AM
If you are dressing in private or at an approved club then go for it ,but if you are going out to mainstream places you will attract a lot of attention if you like
the attention have fun .

daviolin
10-30-2010, 08:09 AM
I love all modes of dressing. From down and dirty to ultra consevetive. I dress in accordance to the event. If I'm shopping at the mall, I dress more comsevitive. If I'm going out clubbing, well then I get trashy. I love all womens clothing and looks.

Patty B.
10-31-2010, 03:42 AM
I prefer to dress age approiate at 57, yeah it should be a four letter word. Just have to pick out what looks good and go for it.

RobynB
10-31-2010, 05:40 AM
I guess I'm an old fuddy duddy, but I tend to dress my age of 64.

noeleena
10-31-2010, 05:45 AM
Hi.

Im involved with two groups our Edwarding & Renssinace group 1900 to 1910 & 1400 to 1700. now do i fit in . yes with in our groups sorry no pics yet . due to redoing our computer.

im 63 & as Jos said i was to dress in a way that was becoming not like a tramp . im other words nicely. so i do in my normal dayly life & that means im accepted quite well. in to socity even our groups , people make nice comments about us , & im happy with that.

I never wonted to dress as a young girl because i saw my self as a woman , & that really has been the case.

...noeleena...

Mahoro
10-31-2010, 06:01 AM
My friends keep telling me I need to stop dressing like a school teacher, and start wearing 'younger' looks that are more appropriate for me, although most people assume that I'm quite a bit younger if they never ask my age. It's so wonderfully magical how cross dressing can shave off the years from our appearance!!

I don't know about changing my wardrobe though, I like my conservative but fashionable dresses, and longer A line skirts, they make me feel happy. I usually pick out clothes by asking myself, "would I like to see this on another woman?", and I am certainly more attracted to a woman who looks refined and confident than I would be to one who has their bottom hanging out, or feels they must display more flesh than they cover up.

Everyone has their own personal style, that's what makes the world a colorful and exciting place, but I can wear jeans and t-shirts anytime in boy mode, so don't see the point in that when I'm feeling girly, and if I want to look ****ty I'll just go out wearing nothing but lingerie and a smile, LOL.

Shari
10-31-2010, 06:26 AM
Things might be different for me if I chose to go out dressed. I'm sure I would be much more conservative in my wardrobe were that the case.
I dress sexy yet close to the line of becoming trashy.

BLUE ORCHID
10-31-2010, 07:10 AM
Hi Kathryn

At almost 68yrs.old I try to stay with a late 40's to late 50's look but
sometims I will go off the deep end and subtact off maybe 40yrs. for
a 20's or 30 something look as I don't go out I only have to please my mirror.

Orchid

Tasha McIntyre
10-31-2010, 07:38 AM
Yeah, I'm one of the ones who has kinda toned down a bit since I started getting out and about. All of my skirts and dresses are still knee length or above, but the short mini skirts are for home use only these days.

As I only get out during he daytime, and bearing in mind I am in my mid 40's now, I try to dress to "blend in" as much as I can.

Tash :)

Angie G
10-31-2010, 08:13 AM
We all want to stay as young as we can for as long as we can. No your not crazy hun just human.:hugs:
Angie

morgan51
10-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Age appropriate for me I am just more comfortable like this, as I'm closing in on 60.

jeannanj
10-31-2010, 08:44 AM
Your certainly not crazy. Recently I have picking more things up that would be more "age appropriate". I still enjoy my new wardrobe but just last night I slipped into one of my short mini's and some very high heels...omg I loved it. Not that I plan on wandering around town in it though hehe.

Tina B.
10-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Age appropriate, I don't even worry about gender appropriate, Go to the mall and hang out awhile, you will see GG's dressed in all sorts of styles at all ages, some very tasteful, some a bit trashy, and every where in between. If they can't put you in jail for it, it's appropriate somewhere, you just have to figure out where it's appropriate for you.
Tina B.

Nicole Erin
10-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I think all of us TG have what I call "home enjoyment" clothing.
We all know about age and figure appropriate clothing.

If you want to be taken more serious as a woman, then age and figure appropriate outfits are the order.

Now I barely pass as a woman even on good days but I really don't catch hell cause I try to dress as a normal 30 something woman would. I would love to prance around public in short skirts, black hose and high heels but I imagine the heat would be too much. Maybe I will feel different in 20 or so years.

It is true that some GG's of whatever age dress trampy and it is seldom a good idea.

My real problem over the years is dressing too old.

Tommie Rae
10-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Satchel Paige once said "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" Once you grasp that concept then the question of "age appropriate" becomes irrelevant.

Eva_nine
10-31-2010, 10:01 AM
i am still under 30 so age appropriate isnt really a problem, except i am often tempted by school teacher outfits even though i could never wear them out.

has anyone else noticed that there is almost a sort of dress code based on the time of day? i often cant get out until later at night for cover and because i work until after dinner time normally. i have noticed that by the time i get all dressed up i am often over dressed and feel out of place walkin down the street in heels and a mini.

Inna
10-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Clothes can make or brake, just as it does for males. Said that a 50 year old woman can dress supremely sexy but within that age group fashion, being 50 year old brings on expectations of maturity and so clothes must reflect such. On the other hand if a 60 year old looks 44 then go at it, I am astonished by famous galls who look 25 years younger than their age. I am so glad Hormones are part of my day cause they tend to roll back the clock (this is so funny as I was typing I spelled clock without an L and had a lough at the sentence :-). This notion of looking age appropriate brings on another fundamental issue for me, looking as much a woman as I can so that gender appropriateness is achieved as well. We are an adventurists venturing out into the world we rarely understand or call our own, our world is different, accepting, diverse, feminine. Being who we are acceptance is crucial weather some girls say "who cares" but they do, and so the more homogeneous the look the more Normalcy is achieved. And aren't we all striving for just that, to feel normal within this crazy world.

Melody Phillips
10-31-2010, 12:32 PM
I also dress for what looks good on me. I don't dress like a teenager or a old lady,though, but I do get some ideas from their style and adapt it for me.

juno
10-31-2010, 12:48 PM
My take is that your female side tends to be less mature because it is only "active" part-time. You might be in your 30's and still have a girl side that is a teenager. No days, more adults dress like prostitutes, so a mature female side might still dress that way, especially if your crossdressing interest has an exhibitionist or fetish component. Lingerie is very common, so dressing sexy at home is common even for more conservative women. If you like to dress sexy/****ty, there is no reason not to have fun with it, but it is best kept at home or with close friends.

Cindia
10-31-2010, 02:41 PM
I guess I don't dress my age, since my favorites are school girl type mini skirts and low cut tops. It's what I enjoy wearing and since I don't get to dress very often, it's what I wear. I don't think I'd wear that to the grocery store though, even a GG my age (48) would probably get noticed wearing that.

suchacutie
10-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Hmm, I guess I don't look at it as "age-appropriate" but closer to "venue-appropriate". I've seen just about everything imaginable in bars that specialize in drag shows, but I don't think that same style of dress would be well-received in a posh restaurant. Even as males we tend to dress to the occasion. I wouldn't wear my garden jeans to a steak house where the cheapest entre is $40, but I also wouldn't wear a Tux to a family picnic. So, there is always a place that matches your dress! :)

tina

RachelPortugal
10-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Is it age appropriate?

Isn't that a silly question? After all we don't question if something is gender appropriate.

We spurn cultural expectations of what is gender appropriate, so to hell with age appropriate. If it feels good and you have the body for it then wear whatever makes you feel comfortable.

What's the fun of dressing to blend in if you don't enjoy it.

Abbyru1
10-31-2010, 05:38 PM
I dress in what I like to wear. It's not always my age but it's never older than my age!
Sometimes its skirts or dresses or pants or shorts or whatever. It is always what I want
and if it looks to "young" then just the way it is.However, I,m not the grandmotherly type.