PDA

View Full Version : Came out to work

Stephanie Anne
10-29-2010, 02:21 PM
So today I decided to just get it done and sent an email to my bosses (small company so I have only two).

I received a reply back from both and they are willing to work with me to keep this as smooth as possible. Since I interact with a lot of our high level customers, their only concern was how to best approach the subject. I pretty much said I am not sure but I feel it important to keep it as professional as possible and avoid complications.

While I would love to just get it over with with everyone I deal with, it would not be wise to simply assume everyone would be fine with it. The last thing I would want to do is lose a million dollar contract over my transition. Every one of my customers know me as Steve and I really don't have an issue for now keeping it that way.

I am also realistically understanding that it might not be a wise thing to attempt any tours with customers as I don't know how that will play out while I transition. This is something I mentioned to my employers just to be sure to cover all bases.

I have been so dreading telling my work for the irrational fear of losing my job. While they are adamant that it will not happen, I am still scared of down the road. I guess only time will tell.

So for now my goal is still to transition fully to live as a woman after the new year. I think this gives me plenty of time to get my name and gender changed and reach a comfort level with my work.

I will say that crying while driving is a horrible thing to do in rush hour traffic.

Oh and I also sent an email to my brother and his fiance about my transition. I know I could have just called him up or gone over to his house (they live 15 minutes away) but I think it better to give someone time to respond and email is a great medium for composing your thoughts.

I only hope he is understanding too.

Edit:

Got a very positive reply back form my brother... so much more than I expected :)

Faith_G
10-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Congratulations!

Is your employer a large company or a small business?

pamela_a
10-29-2010, 03:53 PM
That's a big step Stephanie, congratulations on taking it. My best wishes that it works out perfectly for you.

Jorja
10-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Congratulations Stephanie! A big step indeed. Just continue to do a good job for them and you should have no problem.

Teresa Ann
10-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Good Luck Stephanie, It makes it one closer to being main stream. Keep us informed on how life goes.
Teresa Ann

Louise C
10-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Congratulations on your bosses responses to your true self, it's a scary but exciting time, no?

I also have worked for a small family company for quite a few years now. They were very sympathetic and supportive when i first came out and have been really great these last 22 months.
I, like you, was concerned about how it may affect their business, especially as we are in such a small community, i even offered to go quietly should they so wish, but i am still there and we are busier than ever.
Dare i say it, that there has even been the odd curious customer.
I'm letting things take their course and not trying to rush too much into being full time until my hair removal is complete, but already appear fairly androgenous to most. I think the slow approach has also helped my colleagues come to terms with me, i wanted to let them get the idea straight in their heads first.

I'm not sure doing it by email would have been right for me, but it obviously worked for you and that proves again how varied and different our experiences can be. Also, you may be surprised how positive a reaction you'll get from some clients, after all, you are showing real strength of character by doing what you are doing.

I hope it continues to go well for you. Good Luck.

Jenny Doolittle
10-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Steph,

Just made me smile that we are seen as an asset based on what we do and not how we look at work. Sounds like you work for a good company. Good Luck in the future although I doubt you need it.

Jenny

Stephanie Anne
10-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Thank you all so much. Months of anxiety of this means I get to feel almost sick today. What a load off my shoulders and yet I do still feel trepidation over the months ahead.

To answer a few things:

Yes, we are a small company.

Email was the best option for us as we all communicate via instant messenger and email since we are split over two states. I like email for these types of correspondence as it allows both sides to compose their thoughts nad it keeps a written record should something go wrong.